Goodyear Recalls 41,000 Tires Over Tearing Concerns

Worried that its Wrangler Silent Armor line of tires are prone to causing very bad years for their owners, Goodyear initiated a recall of about 41,000 of the products. The company says that a small number of the tires, made for trucks, SUVs and vans, can tear and cause accidents.

In a recall notice on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration site (PDF), Goodyear spells out its issues with the tires:

“A small number of tires within this population may experience a partial tread area separation under certain severe usage conditions. Use of these tires in severe conditions could result in partial tread separation which could lead to vehicle damage or a motor vehicle crash.”

The tire sizes affected include LT325/60R18 LRE, LT235/80R17 LRE, LT245/75R17 LRE, LT275/70R18 LRE, LT265/70R17 LRE and LT285/70R17 LRD.

Goodyear will notify affected customers by March 22 and replace them for free, and reimburse those who have replaced the tires due to problems.

The notice isn’t clear about what those with the recalled tires can do in order to be proactive about replacing them, but presumably those who need replacements should check with the place at which they bought the tires to see what steps to take. If you have more questions, you can check with Goodyear’s Manager of Global Regulations, Standards & Compliance at 330-796-3519.

Goodyear Tire Recall (PDF) [NHTSA]

Comments

1. Nobby says:

I hate wimpy tires that tear up. Actually, it bothers my when any part of my car starts crying.

2. Cat says:

And the tires are manufactured in what country?

• Southern says:

Looks like Fayetteville NC, Cat.

“The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company has determined that certain Wrangler Silent Armor tires built in their Fayetteville, NC plant between March and May of 2009 have experienced an elevated number of returns related to the tread area. In interest of customer satisfaction, the company has decided to replace the qualifying tires. Letters will be mailed to owners of these tires asking them to contact an authorized Goodyear retail outlet and arrange to have their tires inspected and replaced if necessary.”

3. Shouhdes says:

I have a few ex-girlfriends that may need to be recalled then.

4. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I don’t know if it’s because of all the cost cutting to get the OEM contracts but I’ve been incredibly disappointed with Goodyear tires over the past decade. My last set of Goodyears (Wrangler SR-A) were absolutely terrible.

5. jayphat says:

Having spent 4 years working in the tire industry as the end seller, these are some sexy tires they are talking about. I’ve always been impressed with Goodyears line. BFG All-Terrain T/A’s are impressive too, but alas I lack a large truck to mount them too.

6. Coffee Fiend says:

Goodyear? No, the worst so far.

7. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Michelin FTW.

8. HogwartsProfessor says:

I can’t afford Goodyear tires. I buy my tires used from a reputable local shop. When I have any money, that is.

Off topic, but I was sitting in traffic a couple of years ago and glanced to the left and there was the Goodyear Blimp! Seeing it flying was on my bucket list. That was kinda cool but I wished I had my camera and a place to pull over and take a picture.

• Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

Careful, it might be copyrighted. Then Google will seize it and you will have to ‘shop out the blimp. But the sky is copyrighted too. Oh well, nice try.

9. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

“The rippin’ and the tearin’, the rippin’ and the tearin’…”

10. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

“The rippin’ and the tearin’, the rippin’ and the tearin’…”