Gas Prices Have Gone Up 18 Cents In The Past 2 Weeks

If you’re running a little low on gas but don’t need to fill up until a few days from now, you might consider gassing up anyway. The way things are going, pump prices will be much higher by the time your tank is almost empty. Prices have shot up 18 cents in the past two weeks.

Reuters reports the national average price of a gallon of gas was $3.69 Friday, making that then-awful national average of $3.51 from Feb. 10 no longer seem so bad.

Each survey seems to bring a different excuse for the uncomfortable uptick, and this time it’s concerns over Iran’s nuclear program and shipping problems that could result from a possible Israeli attack.

Gas prices are wackiest in San Diego, which averaged $4.24 a gallon, and most reasonable in Denver ($3.07).

U.S. gasoline hits $3.69/gallon on Iran jitters: survey [Reuters]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

So not only does war in the Middle East affect oil prices, the potential of war in the Middle East affects it as well!

• fsnuffer says:

Correct.

• TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Funny thing is that none of our oil comes from Iran………

• Coleoptera Girl says:

And?

Oil companies see an opportunity to charge more because there will potentially be less oil on the global market. Those who buy oil from Iran will need to buy elsewhere if Iran stops exporting oil…

• Cat says:

Cat says: “Common Sense Is The Key”

• SharkD says:

Which, like the push for domestic drilling, would be a fantastic argument for lowering petroleum costs, if the U.S. stopped buying anything produced outside our shores.

Unfortunately, there are other countries that buy oil, too. And most of them, including the UK and the rest of the EU, buy oil from Iran. So — you know — global market.

Of bigger concern, so far as domestic gas prices are concerned, U.S. gasoline exports are approximately 300% higher than a year ago. U.S. consumers are literally competing with customers in Mexico, China and India for the gasoline produced in the U.S., thus, driving prices ever upward, which will result in less gasoline consumption, which will only lead to more exports in a never-ending upward spiral.

And, of course, you can’t stockpile gasoline — shelf life, nowadays is around 4 weeks, thanks to the ethanol in your tank, which will degrade into non-combustable H20.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Imagine there are two restaurants in town, A and B. You always go to A, never to B, but about half of the town goes to each. Then, one day, restaurant B closes. Do you think business at A won’t pick up, and (likely) prices will rise? So, the price you pay rises, even though you never ate at B, since B’s customers need to eat somewhere.

• 10,000 Hours says:

Yes, but the current customers of Iran will need to look elsewhere once Iran is embargoed and they block oil shipments as a result. Those customers will look to OUR supply lines, resulting in greater demand and a bidding war on who we buy our crude from. Just because WE don’t buy from Iran doesn’t mean their actions don’t affect us. Oil is a global commodity.

• denros says:

Let’s not forget the potential for peace. Or the potential for an economic recovery. Also great reasons!

• Cicadymn says:

And the Potential of potentially potentialing.

That’s worth at least 15 cents extra a gallon for 4 months.

• Blueskylaw says:

It’s actually all about demand from China. The price of gas went up 3.5% in two weeks so that must mean Chinese demand/consumption went up 3.5% also.

Right?

• the Persistent Sound of Sensationalism says:

Not “all”, but that ‘s part of it. The economy is recovering, there is tension in the middle-east, there is increased demand in China and India, but above all, speculators on the market are responsible for up to 60% of the gas increases in the last decade.

The economy is recovering, which means speculators think the market can handle higher prices. Also, republican pundits blame Obama for the increase in gas prices, give no credit for improved economy.

2. Cat says:

Let’s all blame Obama.

Fox Business News does, of 5 stories about high gas prices on FBN online Friday, 4 of the stories blamed Obama and/or the Government.

But one thing is for sure, it’s NOT the speculators, mmmkay?

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

No no, Oil Speculators are what keep the chaos at bay and keep MURICA on its straight and narrow course towards PROGRESS.

• ancientone567 says:

Did you say FOX News? That is NOT news lol. I think they should call it Fox, unfair and unbalanced crap that we want you to think is news. They are not a news channel period. Call it bad entertainment if you wish, not news.

• Southern says:

So which news organization do YOU trust?

• Jevia says:

That’s why you should read a variety of news sources (and even such like The Daily Show and Colbert Report). Chances are, the majority of those sources will reveal the correct facts.

• Cat says:

The Daily Show and Colbert Report are actually reliable sources of news. Better than some outlets that claim to be news…

Stuart and Colbert (and their staffs) really know their shit.

• smartmuffin says:

Uh, the difference is really only the spin.

Fox reports that gas prices are going up, a correct statement. Fox’s commentators blame the government, a possibly legitimate opinion.

Stewart reports that gas prices are going up, a correct statement. He then commentates and blames everyone but the government, a possibly legitimate opinion.

To say that one is a real source of news and the other isn’t is just silly. They both report the same facts, they just put a different spin on it. Why not just be honest and say “I prefer news sources that put a leftist spin on things because I am a leftist” rather than engage in the LOL FAUX NEWS shenanigans.

• Kuri says:

And the people who claim that people use comedy shows for their news created a world where comedy shows are the best source of news.

• Jevia says:

Faux news is what it is.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Wow, you really watch a lot of Fox News.

• dolemite says:

Well, it is all Obama’s fault. If he’d just let oil companies put in all their pipelines and drill up all our reserves now, gas would probably go down two cents. And no, we don’t need that oil in the future when a real emergency comes, we’ll have teleporters that run on sunlight.

• Cat says:

I just love the Natural Gas commercials that exclaim “We have enough energy for the next 100 years!”

And then?

• TuxthePenguin says:

I would hope within the next 100 years we’d be able to develop our renewables to a level that they’d actual be viable as stand-alone without any other backup.

That’s what is so wacky with this debate – both sides argue absolutes. Why not start drilling like crazy but continue to fund developing next gen tech? Heck, why not build nuclear backbone with renewable augmenting it and pour money into fusion? That’s the holy grail right there…

• smbizowner says:

oh yea
            and the fed govt doesn’t want to fund it’s share of the MSU‚Äôs Facility for Rare Isotope Beams, or FRIB

fossil fuels are not the future….

• ARP says:

Republicans want to cut most (all?) government funding for renewables, cut federal education budgets (which researches renewables) but don’t seem to have a problem with Oil and n gas subsidies and spending trillions on wars to maintain oil supplies.

I agree there is a some polarization, but it is not equivalent. Despite the Fox News rhetoric, Obama does not want to force people to drive electric cars. He does, however, want to fund research into electric cars and technologies and renewables. There have been some successes and some significant failures. The but the overall amount of money that has funded these have been fairly small. Besides I think the goal of having renewable fuels and electric cars making up a much larger portion of our energy and transportation is a good thing and in our national (defense) interest.

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Not my problem. It’s my kids’ problem.
          And, really, since I won’t have kids, it becomes nobody’s problem. Therefore, there is no problem.
          QED

• Total Casual says:

Fusion power baby! The power of the SUN!

• Kuri says:

How dare Obama not let them run a pipe line over my house!!!

• pot_roast says:

Might as well. Last time everyone was blaming Bush. Before that, it was Clinton’s fault.

you know how it goes…

• Cicadymn says:

Because no one EVER blamed Bush for oil prices amirite?

Obama is just going to have to deal with it. The president is always blamed for gas prices even when they can’t do much about it.

• MutantMonkey says:

Cat, I think your new Avatar is throwing people off.

• MaytagRepairman says:

I’m sure glad I cut the cord on cable a couple of years ago. I would invariably find nothing good to watch and end up on Fox or Fox Business News and all it did was make my blood boil. Now if only I could get my father and father-in-law to quit watching it as well.

• maxamus2 says:

Well, everyone blamed Bush so why not blame Obama?

3. DaveWW says:

Why the phallic cloud?

4. rockelscorcho says:

This is an inevitability. This is why when my truck broke down, I bought myself a 4 cylinder small SUV (a reasonable 28 mpg). Gas prices will always go up, always stay up, and you can’t do anything about it.

You can’t win the game, but you can play smart!

5. Dallas_shopper says:

“As gas prices continue to rise, public transportation, carpooling and telecommuting are becoming more attractive. If you want to cut down on your gas budget, those are some of your best bets.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1.) Public transportation is not available from my house to my job.

2.) Carpooling isn’t an option since I have yet to meet anyone in the office who lives anywhere near me.

3.) Telecommuting is only an option if the company allows it. Mine does not.

• Jevia says:

hybrid car?

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Spending too much money on gas to save up anything to put down on a “new to me” car. ;)

• Dallas_shopper says:

My car will be paid off in July, so I’ll have an extra 250 rattling around in my pocket each month from then on. My car gets on average 24-25 mpg combined city and highway, and I can usually squeeze 375-400 miles out of a tank of gas. More if I slow down and am more mindful of my driving habits.

I don’t see the point of “saving” on gas if I’m paying out on a new car when I don’t have to be. If I was in the market for a new car, I’d consider a hybrid. But I’m not.

• ovalseven says:

Bicycle?

• Coleoptera Girl says:

A reasonable suggestion, but how long would a 30 minute interstate commute become on a bicycle?

• Dallas_shopper says:

Too far for a bicycle. It’s almost 20 miles door to door and while I’m sure there are people who do commutes like that on a bike, given the aggressive drivers in Dallas and the lack of bike lanes, it’s not feasible for me.

• annelise13 says:

Let me add two more.

4. My office is 26 miles from my house.

5. Houses near my office cost over a million dollars.

Yes, NEXT.

• elysse says:

Summer’s coming. 1 word: motorcycle. Average ~50-55 mpg and a thrill.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I ran the numbers on that; adding in the cost of one and the extra insurance, it just won’t work. Plus I wouldn’t want to wear leathers in our boiling hot summers.

• elysse says:

It depends on what you get re: insurance. The bikes at my house are all 20+ years old, and insurance runs me about 100$/year per bike. When your bike is that old, you also don’t really have to worry too much about replacing it, since it’s irreplacable due to age, so I run on liability and high Personal Injury coverage.

Another good option is a scooter, I shit you not. Cheap to insure, and most 50cc scooters get around 80-90mpg. Then you don’t have to wear full leathers. To be fair, there are some great lightweight textiles available for hot weather that are well armored too.

• jenesaisrien says:

TBI=traumatic brain injury

• elysse says:

What, scooter riders? I agree. They do have brain injuries, but in a good way. :-D

• jenesaisrien says:

Not to ruin anyones fun…no one so inclined will be daunted by risks anyway.ER docs have a reason to call them various derogatory names such as death machines Even bicycles are having a tough time staying alive and well out there… Maybe if a very small town or rural area with little traffic?Special lanes?

• Dallas_shopper says:

I just wouldn’t feel safe on one of those…not around here anyway. :(

• maxamus2 says:

I own 4 different motorcycles, from 1000cc to 1850cc. The best one gets 50mpg the worst 36mpg. But they are all for pleasure.

While you may think the 50mpg is so much cheaper than a car, it really doesn’t break down that easily.

To compare to a 30mpg car it sounds great on the surface but here are the problems:
        -Car tires easily last 50,000 to 60,000 miles, the bike tires get changed at 15,000 and while there are only two, they are costlier and much more expensive to change.

-Motorcycle oil is almost twice the price of car oil and I want to change it at 3,500 miles instead of 5,000 miles in the car. Same thing with oil filter, instead of a $3 filter it is $9.

-The car easily gets 40,000 miles on the front brakes and 60,000 on the rear, even more if I drive smartly. The motorcycle brakes get changed at 15,000 miles and again, the pads are almost twice the cost of the car (three sets vs four sets on the car).

-Most any car gets you 100,000 miles with pretty much just basic maintenance of oil changes, air filter, brakes and the plugs. Most every bike you will have a few thousand dollars more repairs in that 100,000 miles, it can get quite costly and most work the average guy can’t do.

-I usually stop on my way home from work and do all my grocery shopping, mall shopping, etc… so that I don’t have to waste another trip (and gas) to do so later. While I can pick up some things on a bike, I can not buy in quantity.

-Every bike I own recommends high test gas, and if you try to run them on regular gas not only can you feel a difference but my mileage actually does drop off a good 8 to 10%. I check my mileage on every vehicle I own at every single fill up, I’m sort of anal about it, because when mileage drops that is the first sign to look for a problem. My cars run fine on regular gas. So right off the bat my fuel is 10% more per gallon for that premium.

Overall, you really have to analyse the costs of the motorcycle and surprisingly, at 50mpg it actually costs me more per mile than my 30mpg car. Insurance is a little higher on the car but since I have all my cars, bikes, my boat and house in same policy I get a great reduction overall.

• inadequatewife says:

I live in a “city” with a population of 9,000. I work in the next “town” which is a rural farming community of 4,000.

1. There is absolutely no public transportation in either my city or the town I work in, nor between them.

2. There is no one with whom to carpool, most of the town residents leave town to work in other towns, so they are traveling the opposite direction. Plus, I work until 8 pm which further reduces the chance someone works a compatible schedule.

3. The round trip is 25 miles, on narrow country roads…. not conducive to bicycle travel for safety reasons, plus we live in the north, with frigid winters (okay, milder this year) and snow on the ground. Our summers are fairly hot and humid, I wear professional clothing, and certainly don’t have access to anything but a sink in which to tidy up.

4. I’d love to telecommute, but I haven’t figured out how to broach that subject yet… I work in a one-person plus very-part-time assistant public library….. the taxpayers kind of expect the library doors open when they want books or computer access…. I don’t think they’d be too receptive to “closed, library director is telecommuting from home today, sorry” sign on the front door!

• pot_roast says:

I had the same problem.. fought for telecommuting but lost. It was ridiculous.. I had an IT job, management said “we expect you to be able to do 95% of your job from your desk” (apparently I was doing desk side visits too often…) but when I brought up telecommuting, all I heard was “Oh, well we need you here in case there’s a critical issue onsite.” I said “Uh, then I get in my car and drive in.” They really had no answer, but stonewalled me anyway with the “Your position is not allowed to telecommute” BS but no real reason why.

Still way too many jobs that *don’t* allow telecommuting, and that’s sad…

And why are prices so high? jittery “investors” using oil as a piggy bank. Even goldman sachs admits that. Speculators are screwing us all over.

• Kuri says:

There’s nos public transportation in my area either.

• maxamus2 says:

1) move
      2) move
      3) get a job that does allow it

• jenesaisrien says:

yes, telecommuting,an interesting option for many..”Please e-mail/call me if your intravenous solution pump with drugs inside appears to be malfunctioning,I can skype you how to adjust it while looking at your breathing to see if it’s safe to proceed.Hopefully a buddy or family member can assist with this process and will be there 24-7…The future perhaps.

6. ancientone567 says:

The USA does not get any of it’s gas from Iran, so it is NOT a supply and demand thing. Let us just call it what it is. GREED and manipulation. The people who own the rights to oil see profit and they will take it and manipulate the price so they can make more cash. It is nothing new as they have been doing it since trading began. So now let us all be good sheeple and be scared into buying more gas than you need so the price can be driven up. Go and listen to this story and panic. It will all drive up the craze for gas and the price. Ignore these stories and you might actually stand a chance.

• Coles_Law says:

Oil is a global commodity though. If Iran stops producing oil, the countries that do buy from Iran will need to buy elsewhere, likely from the sources we buy from. That will cut down on supply available to us.

What we’re seeing now, though, is largely speculation driving up prices.

• smartmuffin says:

So, when prices go down, is that a case of oil companies temporarily not being greedy for some reason? Speculators deciding to take a few months off and go on vacation?

Oil prices are volatile, people like you always have a ready explanation as to why they go up “evil greedy speculators” but absolutely no theories as to why they go down. Interesting, that.

7. HowardRoarksTSquare says:

This was bound to happen as more and more people wanted to move away from cities and live in suburbia with their long commutes.

• Patriot says:

How dare people try and avoid crime and live somewhere they can actually see the stars at night.

• HowardRoarksTSquare says:

That’s a broad statement.

There are very nice metropolitan areas that are free of crime and other areas that are near mass transit (SEPTA/BART/METRO/etc)

• Cicadymn says:

They just don’t get it do they! Everyone should lived cramped in a big city! The fact that they don’t want to use public transportation and not be around run down infrastructure and crime centers just shows how ignorant and racist they are.

• Dallas_shopper says:

When I bought my house I was working at a company that was within biking distance and was about 7 minutes by car door to door. But things happen. I’m now working at a company that is nearly 20 miles away. I live in an old “inner ring” suburb of Dallas; I’m closer to downtown Dallas than I am to the popular “exurbs” that continue to grow and sprawl their way to Oklahoma.

I’m currently looking for a gig closer to home, even though I only started this new one in October. I’m not liking this commute and with gas prices skyrocketing, it’s like taking a pay cut on top of it. Even if I took a job for a little bit less closer to home, I’d still come out ahead when you factor in the price of gas.

8. GJaunts says:

Public transportation, for the win!

Good thing we have a partisan Congress committed to investing and promoting transit. Ohhhhh wait.

• Cat says:

We have public transportation where I live. And it’s FREE! – well, I finance it with my taxes, really.

It would take me over an hour to go the 4 miles to work. On top of a 10.5 hour day, that doesn’t work very well. Plus, it doesn’t start running until 4am, so I would get to work about one hour late.

But, hey, at least the people that DON’T pay for it and DON’T have jobs can ride it for free all day.

• Kuri says:

The same that that ages ago allowed many of the public transit systems to be demolished.

9. Aking0667 says:

Wow I can’t believe no one has said “I make my own gas at home” yet.

10. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Hooray for living in the sensible city!

11. JMH says:

Yay! Thank you for recognizing that there are actually alternatives to “drive, drive, drive!”

12. zandar says:

> public transportation, carpooling and telecommuting are becoming more attractive

Yes, this is why I secretly wish gas prices keep going up, even though I commute 240 miles every week. There is no “appetite” (to use the term that is so in vogue among politicians right now) for these things among constituents, and yet they would make many people’s lives easier- and most of our lives a bit safer. The only way for people to be “hungry” for better mass transit and for telecommuting to be more widespread is for everyone to feel more pain in the wallet, because that seems to be the only way we can make decisions in the US.

13. Shorebreak says:

The corporate media will spout the propaganda about high gas prices supplied by the oil companies, speculators, politicians and Wall Street. Demand is down while speculators are driving up prices on futures contracts because they don’t have to take delivery and refineries are operating at about 84 percent of their capacity.

• TuxthePenguin says:

But you forget for every speculator thinking prices are going up, there’s another that is willing to take that bet because he thinks prices will go down.

Its not as “evil conspiracy” as you think. Global demand has more to do with the price of crude than demand in the US. There are billions industrializing in Brazil and China… think they might want to burn oil to generate electricity and enjoy our lifestyle?

• Shorebreak says:

“Why are gas prices surging to levels unseen since the 2008 oil spike while the oil companies reporting record profits? Much of the problem is actually created by Wall Street traders here in the USA who gamble on oil prices and powerful multinational companies that manipulate the supply and demand by stockpiling oil when the price is low and expected to rise in the near future. And yes, so far this practice is perfectly legal. Bart Chilton, a commissioner at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the federal agency that regulates commodity futures and option trading in the United States, says a very few number of players control too much of the market, allowing them to push the price of gas higher and higher. The American public knows very little about the oil speculation industry because a conservative majority on the CFTC has refused to implement the mandates from the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to curb abuses and provide transparency.”

• TuxthePenguin says:

And yet nothing you posted contradicts my comment – for a trade to happen you need two sides.

Funny that there were no stories about those who made a killing in late 2008/2009 when oil prices plummeted… and many who lost their shirts.

I guess speculation is only sexy when prices are going up.

• 10,000 Hours says:

Its no use arguing. King Obama says its the fault of Wall Street, speculators, and the Koch Brothers, so that’s where the fault lies. That’s it, end of discussion. Any attempt to learn how global commodity markets *actually* work and how it takes a buyer AND seller in a market will quickly be countered by a new article from Think Progress proving a couple guys on Wall Street actually dictate how, why, and when OPEC, Brazil and Canada produce oil, and what China, India and the rest of us consume.

Now go buy a Volt and embrace the upcomming subsidies for the algae industry.

14. HotAirConsumer says:

I am in Los Angeles and the price went up 30 cents in 4 days!!!!! Last week nothing was over $4 which is now a distant memory. No doubt it will be close to $5 soon.

On the plus side there’s less traffic so I can get to work faster which in turn saves money for me since no idling in traffic.

• parv says:

$4.449/gal it was yesterday in Hilo, Hawai’i.

Weather is generally good, except it has been rain on and off since Nov 2011.

15. zantafio says:

If you want to know what is really going on, listen to the no agenda show episode 386. http://www.noagendashow.com

16. Robofish says:

You know what’s even more awesome about gas prices rising? Maryland’s awesome governor wants to increase the gas tax. YAY.

17. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

yay for colorado! We’re expected to not jump up, due to the fact that our oil comes from canada. They say we may hit $3.50, though.

18. Shorebreak says:

“Much of the problem is actually created by Wall Street traders here in the USA who gamble on oil prices and powerful multinational companies that manipulate the supply and demand by stockpiling oil when the price is low and expected to rise in the near future. And yes, so far this practice is perfectly legal. Bart Chilton, a commissioner at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), the federal agency that regulates commodity futures and option trading in the United States, says a very few number of players control too much of the market, allowing them to push the price of gas higher and higher. The American public knows very little about the oil speculation industry because a conservative majority on the CFTC has refused to implement the mandates from the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act to curb abuses and provide transparency.”

19. NeverLetMeDown says:

Gas prices are far, far too low. We need to start taxing gas approrpriately (as they do in Europe) in order to incorporate all the externalities associated with fuel consumption (i.e. 80-90% of the military budget) into gas prices. A 0.25/gallon increase every quarter for the next four years (so $4/gallon total) should do pretty well.

20. shockwaver1 says:

You think you guys have it bad – us up in Soviet Canuckistan are paying even more. In my neck of the woods gas went from 1.049 cents a liter to 1.179 cents a liter in ONE DAY. That’s $3.96/gallon to $4.46/gallon. And we have the cheapest gas in the country. In toronto they’d been paying $1.259/liter ($4.759/gal) and that shot up to $1.309/liter ($4.95/gal).

$5/gal gas is here my friends. Yay – I just love taking a massive pay cut every time gas prices go up. And I don’t have any real options besides driving – taking transit means my half hour commute because an hour and a half each way (so over a week that’s 10 extra hours) – plus my wife and I carpool at the moment so we’d have to buy multiple transit passes, eating up all our savings. I can’t bike to work because I can’t physically bike 40km, and even if I could in the winter it’s -30C on a good day, and +35C in the summer.

21. TuxMan says:

Such fools; a bottle of water, energry drink, fountian drink, coffee, and beer from the gas station all cost MORE than their gas.

• Mark702 says:

You pay more than $4 for a bottle of water? Or an energy drink? Or a soda? Or a beer? Or a coffee? I don’t pay near that amount for any of that stuff.

22. mopman64 says:

Here is something no one is talking about. Gas prices were going down last month, then obama viteos the pipeline and next day gas prices started to rise. Strange?

• Nobby says:

“viteos”? I could almost see that error if you were referring to videos. But not if you were referring to vetos.

• ARP says:

From a purely speculation standpoint, there may be some connection. But there’s also the uncertainty in Iran, etc. Essentially if there’s ANY excuse to drive up oil prices, it will be used to do so.

23. iluvhatemail says:

up $.50 within the last month in LA

24. MaytagRepairman says:

I’ve lived through numerous news cycles of gas prices going up in my life and it is just not important to me any more. Paying for gas is as non-event as paying the water bill. I drive a reasonably fuel efficient car and I’ve got plenty of other budget-attacking problems in my life to occupy my time.

25. pentium4borg says:

As a cyclist, fuel prices remain consistent at $6 per bacon cheeseburger.

26. kimmie says:

On the peninsula in the Bay Area, I haven’t seen it below $4.25 for the cheap stuff in over a week. We’re quickly approaching $5/gal :(

27. superml says:

Screw gas. It hasn’t gone down barely since Katrina.
    I’ll make my own gas at home.

28. Kodai says: