Airline Using Facebook To Turn Jet Cabin Into High School Cafeteria

As adults, most of us are perfectly okay with the notion that it doesn’t really matter who you sit next to on the plane. You take your seat, eat your free peanuts and sleep through Two & a Half Men reruns. But Dutch airline KLM is testing a new service that allows Facebook and LinkedIn users to try to find the cool kids’ section of the plane.

The service, called Meet and Seat, lets ticketed passengers with profiles on either of these networks to post info from their profile to a page that lets you pick and choose your seat based on proximity to others who have decided to share their data.

So if by some miracle that empty seat next to the super cute manic pixie dream girl is still available, it’s all yours.

Writes the NY Times:

On a flight from Amsterdam to S√£o Paulo this week, for example, you could have chosen the director of a British answering service, who has a passion for reggae and jazz; an Italian chemical engineer fluent in Dutch, English, Spanish and Portuguese; or a Norwegian alternative-rock fan en route to visit family in Argentina.

Because we are not 14 years old anymore, Meet and Seat doesn’t give users veto power over who gets to sit next to them. There is, however, a way out of a potentially awkward pairing; you can just select another open seat. And if the aforementioned manic pixie dream girl suddenly realizes that every guy on the flight is crowding around her seat, she can always just delete her profile and pick a seat the boring non-social way.

Selecting a Seatmate to Make Skies Friendlier [NY Times]

Comments

1. Invader Zim says:

It can definitely matter who you sit next to on a plane….really

2. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

If this makes it to American Airlines, I’m going to create a fake profile just for this. I’m now a 400 pound fat man with gout and irritable bowel syndrome who doesn’t wear deodorant because I believe it causes cancer.

I’ll never have to sit by anybody on a plane ever again!

• ARP says:

My thoughts exactly. I will be the most disgusting (facebook) person out there.

• Karney says:

And if all the actual 400 pound fat men post pictures of the ‘manic pixie dream girl’ it will be the ultimate trolling come boarding time.

• Murph1908 says:

I was thinking something similar, though hadn’t developed the thought as thoroughly as you did. But I would definitely be someone on this system that would increase my chances to keep that middle seat next to me empty.

Ok, I got one:

29 year old Amway representative and devout Scientologist. Member of a’ capella folk singing group.

3. eturowski says:

Super creepy.

4. Costner says:

My luck is I would choose the seat between the hot chicks only to later discover they are on their way to a drag show in Vegas.

5. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I could see this being useful – if I see from someone’s FB that they’re a new parent, it increases the chance that I’d be sitting next to a small child on the plane. I know not every child will misbehave, but if I’m not next to them, then it doesn’t matter as much whether they do or don’t.

6. CubeRat says:

It’s on the outside, left wing. Your left, facing forward.

7. StatusfriedCrustomer says:

I’d like an option for “I don’t wish to make conversation with the person next to me”

• Darury says:

Please give me the option of “silent passenger”. I never feel the need to chat up the person next to me, even if they are a very attractive female. I’m quite content to sit with my reading material and stay quiet the entire flight other than the occasional “excuse me” while passing thru the aisle or such.

• nicoleintrovert says:

Would love to have a “this is the area where we don’t speak to one another except a polite ‘excuse me’ if we must retreat to the lav,” section.

8. Jim M says:

Guess more people will be getting into the mile high club.

9. Bent Rooney says:

Please put me as far away from those “F” & “IN” logos as possible.

10. ellmar says:

This is f’in stupid.

11. animatedantmo says:

I thought this was kinda cool. I notice technology like smart phones has a tendency to disconnect the user from the people immediately around them. And this is trying to do the opposite. Maybe Im weird? :(

12. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh for crying out loud. No. I mostly ignore the person next to me unless they’re touching my stuff. I don’t book flights that are longer than I can tolerate sitting all crunched up (I’m tall), which is only a few hours tops. Although it’s sometimes fun to talk to people, the vast majority of them are tres boring. They have tablets to amuse themselves with instead of bugging me.

13. bdgbill says:

“it doesn’t really matter who you sit next to on the plane.”

Where did you get that ridiculous idea?? As someone who has sat through the experience of congratulating myself on having the only empty seat on the plane next to me only to notice a 500lb woman carrying two boxes of fried chicken (I’m not making this up I swear) asking for a seat belt extension at the front of the plane, I can tell you it’s very important.

14. maxamus2 says:

I really hope this is an opt-in system. No ones personal information should be given out to a stranger bording a plane, even if it is just a picture.

On the other hand, if you don’t want anyone sitting next to you, put up the most disgusting picture you can find.

15. Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

Helps if it can determine which people have screaming kids on the plane.