FDA Green Lights Imports Of Cancer Drugs To Ease Shortages

Of all the agonies that confront cancer patients, an unnecessary shortage of drugs they need must be among the more frustrating. The Food and Drug Administration is showing some compassion for the sick by easing import rules for two crucial cancer drugs in order to bulk up supply.

According to The New York Times, the FDA is allowing imports of Doxil (which fights cancers including ovarian cancer) and methotrexate (used for childhood leukemia) in order to ease the drugs’ shortage. Both drugs are manufactured at an Ohio plant that temporarily closed because of safety issues.

Critics say the fixes aren’t addressing the real problem, which is the FDA’s lack of resources to test and approve generic drugs, as well as the time-consuming, ridiculously expensive process required to get those drugs on the market.

At least the move signifies that the FDA is doing something to help cancer patients and medical professionals who help them.

To Ease Shortage, F.D.A. Lets 2 Cancer Drugs Be Imported [The New York Times]

Comments

1. shepd says:

BUT BUT BUT… import drugs are unsafe and stuff! Canadian drugs will kill you!

LOL

2. HomerSimpson says:

Well, the answer of course is to ban the FDA. Voila! Problem solved! After all, companies have people’s well-being as a primary concern, and if something tragic does occur, it was “god’s will” anyway.

3. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Still hoping for the approval and widespread use of Dichloroacetic Acid (DCA). Further research has looked promising.

4. pop top says:

Wow. I mean, congrats Phil on your first post of substance in months. Thank you.

5. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I read an article the other day that Egypt might be the source of the fake Avastin cancer drug discovered recently. Good for the FDA allowing the cancer drugs to come in, but I hope there’s some way of making sure the drugs aren’t fake.

6. Coffee says:

It’s always good news when a government agency can get out of its own way and be pragmatic for a change. The “because those are the rules” mentality of some bureaucrats makes me sick because it’s the kind of passivity that leads to preventable tragedy. Good on the FDA for this.

7. smartmuffin says:

The FDA exists to prevent people from obtaining lifesaving drugs. If they really felt compassion for the sick, they’d disband.

8. Adam W says:

That doesn’t entirely surprise me that we have a methotrexate shortage. It is used for more than just childhood leukemia. I am in my mid-20’s and take it to treat my psoriasis. I was looking over the drug information my local CVS gave me about it last time I got a refill and it is used for a lot of stuff actually so I’m glad to see that they are helping relieve the shortage a little.