Screaming Child On Plane Prompts Man To Trigger Emergency Slide

Lots of crying kids today, folks! While we know it can be annoying to sit next to a child bawling his or her head off on a plane, that doesn’t mean it’s okay to trigger the emergency slide. One man on a Vietnam Airlines flight did just that in response to a crying kid.

Time.com says the 29-year-old man opened the plane’s window exit after the plane had landed, releasing the emergency slide — but that it wasn’t because he was trying to escape. The report says he was just being a good neighbor and trying to help a woman and her sobbing offspring disembark quickly.

The mother asked her seatmate for help, so he opened the door, say airport staff members. No one ended up even using the slide, and everyone got pretty cranky as the plane was disabled when the slide opened. The man faces a fine of at least 15 million Vietnamese dong, around $720, juts for opening the window. The release of the slide will chalk up a price of around $10,000 to be refitted inside the plane.

Vietnam Airlines seems to have an epidemic of slide-openers, as this was the third incident in the past three months that an emergency exit was opened when it shouldn’t have been.

Passenger Next to Crying Child Opens Plane’s Emergency Exit Door [Time.com]

Comments

1. consumed says:

I’d have engaged the emergency slide too just to get the $#(* away from that screaming brat.

2. dakeypoo says:

Juts.

3. Coffee says:

Awww…he was juts trying to be heroic and polite. What a gentleman! If this were a romantic comedy, no one would be judging him >:(

4. Liquid-X says:

Okay, am I the only one trying to resist making a joke about “Vietnamese Dongs”?

5. Cat says:

15 million Vietnamese dongs?
    That’s some funny money right there.

6. Platypi {Redacted} says:

Maybe the airlines should set up full sized slides in the terminals. That way, for people that just want to ride the slide, the airline can avoid the cost and delay of deploying the slide on the runway!
    /s

Yes, I know they weren’t just trying to ride the slide, but seriously, doesn’t it look a little bit like fun? Well, except for inept and overzealous jumpers that end up on their faces.

7. Cat says:

1.00 USD = 20,815.00 VND

Estimated Vietnam’s GDP per capita as $1155 for 2010

He better not be living in Vietnam, that’s pretty much a whole years’ income.

8. Guppy06 says:

But did he grab a beer from the galley first?

9. MMD says:

Can someone explain why closing the slide costs $10,000?

• CalicoGal says:

I think it’s like an airbag in your car— they can’t just stuff it back in and close the lid. They have to retrofit a whole new one

• rambo76098 says:

Even basic stuff on airplanes like microwaves cost thousands of dollars because they have to be tested to the Nth degree for safety and non-interference with the aircraft’s electronic systems.

Best part of it is, you can usually find the same model at Walmart untested for $50-100.

• daemonaquila says:

Fun stuff like explosive bolts/inflation systems and special seals. You can’t just pack up the slide and get on with it. You have to replace the slide assembly with brand new parts, which means lots of mechanic time as well.

10. Liam Kinkaid says:

Coincidentally, I have a 500, 10,000, and 500,000 Dong notes in my drawer. I had my friend bring them back from Vietnam because they’re called Dong.

11. Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

Even though 15Mil Vietnamese dongs is equivalent to 720 US dongs, I’m still concerned that he’s going to have face so many dongs.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

“And therefore never send to know for whom the dong tolls; It tolls for thee.”

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Why count dongs? Two dongs don’t make a right, you know.

• kc-guy says:

My first read of your comment was “two dongs don’t make a night.” I invoke my rights under the 5th Amendment and will not comment further than that, but it needed to be said.

• kc-guy says:

12. itsdotcom says:

That’s a lot of dongs for one man to take.

13. euroae says:

Why was a mother with screaming child sitting in an emergency exit row?

Children aren’t normally suppose to be in those seats in case of emergency and if the mother can’t keep her child under control during normal flight situations, how the hell would she be able to assist crew/passengers in evacuating the plane in an emergency?

14. Press1forDialTone says:

I’m guessing that this donghead is a rotten car driver among other things.
    I’m also guessing this was a Boeing 737 made in the U.S. in 1973 and
    was dumped from our airlines fleets a -long dong- time ago.
    I was astounded that they didn’t mention the live chickens that
    Vietnam Airlines carries to be killed for lunch for the passengers.
    Nice.

• trimetrov says:

I have flown on Vietnam Airlines – three times, actually – and the gate-to-gate experience was far nicer than with any of our US airlines our their cattle cars they call airplanes.

I’ll ignore the other obvious racist parts of this comment.

15. caradrake says:

Wow, I submitted this story through the tip line nearly a week ago. I didn’t realize how slow it was to process and get posted. I remember being all sorts of “o.O!” upon reading the initial story.

16. Leohat says:

In other news: Vietnam has a airline

• tinyhands says:

Jokes aside, I flew Vietnam Airlines several times a few years ago. It’s just as easy to book a ticket online as any western carrier and the service is about the same, which is to say there’s always room for improvement. But it’s really no worse than Southwest. I’d actually rather fly VA again than AA.

If only the rest of that backwards-@ss country were so friendly & courteous.

• trimetrov says:

And a pretty good one at that. Good service, up to date equipment, on-time flights.

17. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

Man: SCREW THIS, I’M OUTTA HERE!
    -emergency slide-

18. Coyoty says:

He’s going to have to go shopping here:

19. Talmonis says:

Dong? Where is my automobile?