Menu Disclaimer: Everyone Will Hate You A Lot Less If You Take Your Crying Child Outside

The power of Yelp complaints has pushed one Georgia restaurant to beg its diners to keep their kids quiet, or at least remove cacophonous children so that everyone else doesn’t have to hear them screaming over their pizza.

FOX5 in Atlanta says the owners of the local pizzeria added the below request to their menu, after a number of complaints and negative online reviews.

The restaurant’s co-owner says he likes kids, and wants his place to remain a family establishment. But that doesn’t mean one feisty tyke should ruin it for everyone. He adds that no one has complained about the disclaimer since it was added to the menu.

It reads:

Dear all present and future patrons: GCP is proud of its reputation as a family restaurant, a title that we will work to keep. Unfortunately a number of our diners have posted unpleasant experiences because of crying and unsupervised children. To ensure that all diners have an enjoyable lunch or dinner with us we respectfully ask that parents tend to their crying tots outside.

While some might argue that raucous youngins are just part of the family dining experience, perhaps parents shouldn’t have to be told to take care of meltdowns out of earshot of everyone else.

Restaurant Disclaimer: No Crying Kids Allowed [FOX5 Atlanta]

Comments

1. Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

Raising a child should inconvenience me in any way? Hah! I’ll do whatever the hell I want, thank you very much.

• BorkBorkBork says:

There’s a difference between kids making noise and kids going bat-crap insane because you can’t bother to be a responsible parent.

The latter should be taken outside to calm down.

• Snoofin says:

The former should be taken outside too. What ever happened to “Children should be seen and not heard” or “Spare the rod and spoil the child”

• dush says:

How amazing would that be if some kid was misbehaving in a restaurant and you see the parents actually take out a rod and use it on their kid.

• Jane_Gage says:

Par for the course around here. Either the kids are ignored or are screamed at and smacked. Then they scream and wail because they got hit, and usually the parent is screaming its head off too. At least approximate the values of an educated person and discreetly take your kids outside. People at your level/uber-religious may applaud the spectacle of you smacking your kids around, but trust me most of us just want to eat in peace.

• poco says:

You’d have social services called on you in a New York minute these days. I got a good whack if I acted up as a kid and it didn’t do any lasting harm. In fact, I learned real quick to sit down and shut up in restaurants.

• Tombo says:

You obviously don’t have kids.

• kungfu71186 says:

Then i hope you get thrown out of the restaurant, a business can refuse service to anyone.

• Jawaka says:

Nobody else got the sarcasm

2. snowtires says:

I have no problems with this. No one, parents included, wants to eat dinner while someone else’s kid is throwing a tantrum in the next booth. Take the child outside until they settle.

• JF says:

Am I the only one who can’t read that without George Takei’s voice in their head?!?

• Rachacha says:

As a parent of young children who have (and probably still will) throw a tantrum, I generally agree. If the child is throwing a tantrum, and not responding to logic in a short period of time, then yes, a parent and child are outside to calm the situation down. This does not mean that the INSTANT a child starts crying, that I jump up and am outside with the kid (Fights with a sibling or burning your tongue on a piece of molten cheese can usually be resolved quickly and discretely).

3. mypcrepairguy says:

Wait its a pizzeria? And not a fancy gourmet restaurant? LoL WUT? Seriously what do you expect??! If you want a fancy meal go to a fancy restaurant not a pizzeria.

• pop top says:

People shouldn’t have to put up with a crying child or one throwing a tantrum just because they’re not paying top dollar for their meal. That’s asinine.

• rugman11 says:

Just because it’s not a fancy restaurant doesn’t mean I want to spend my entire meal listening to your kid scream his head off or run into my chair because you’re not enough of an adult to take care of him.

• dolemite says:

Or…people could raise their kids and discipline them. Even if it’s McDonalds, there’s no reason kids should be running around screaming and throwing food and going crazy.

• Nunov Yerbizness says:

Or how about you keep your screaming crack-addled chimpanzees at home?

Public spaces are not an extension of your living room. The owner of the pizzeria shouldn’t have had to make that clear. I know this is going to come as a total shock, but you and your children can’t behave the exact same way in a restaurant as you can in your home.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

Keeping the crack-addled chimpanzees at home isn’t the answer, unfortunately. Eventually you’re going to have to take them somewhere, and an untrained ambulatory child is SO. MUCH. WORSE. than a crying newborn or a momentarily screechy infant. Horrid, horrid, little waiter-assaulting, pepper-dumping, door-blocking, screeching, grabbing, snot-slobbering nightmares.

The best behaved kids I know — I’m childless and nearly incapable of tuning out noise, by the way — were raised to be portable from the very beginning. These kids were carted all over creation in slings and Ergos and those bucket-shaped baby carriers. That means you DO take them places, but you ALSO pay attention to them, make sure they are occupied, and deal with them when they are upset or need things.

• whogots is "not computer knowledgeable" says:

tl;dr You have to take your kid places when it’s tiny, because if you don’t, you’ll wind up trying to train it to behave in public after it’s learned to run and has started experimenting with defiance.

• Conformist138 says:

Never in my wildest dreams (or nightmares) would I have dared scream, yell, or run around any kind of a restaurant when I was a kid. My parents would have had me by the collar and out the door to the car in under a minute.

It’s amazing that this needs to be said, but it’s really never ok to let your kids have free reign of areas where it’s reasonable to expect adults are trying to mind their own business. If it doesn’t have a slide or monkey bars, it’s probably not a playground.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i wish that were still the case. i hear a lot of playgrounds have banned slides and monkey bars due to liability issues. no wonder kids are confused

• JennQPublic says:

Please define “a lot”. And where, might I ask, did you hear this?

A few isolated incidents do not make an epidemic. The world has not gone crazy since the good ol’ days when we were kids. We just have the technology now to hear about the same few looneys that existed back then, too.

• The Twilight Clone says:

I guess you were never 20 months old at any point.

• TheCorporateGeek Says Common Sense Is The Key says:

Even then we were taken outside the areas of others. It’s just a sign of respect…something that sadly is lacking in society today. You’re respecting the other customers right to a meal sans screaming child. Unfortunately, most parents today 80% plus…don’t really care that their children are acting like idiots and unfortunately for them….I’ll call them on it. Have almost gotten into numerous physical confrontations because some idiot brings their screaming babies to a movie theater for an R rated movie. GTFO!

• Nunov Yerbizness says:

We were all 20 months old. And our parents either did not take us to restaurants, or if we started acting up, took us to the restroom, the lobby, or the parking lot. We had these things called “expectations.” We were expected to behave like humans, and to respect the rights of others to enjoy public spaces in comfort and peace.

A Las Vegas Weekly columnist once did a whole piece about how the reason many of today’s parents think allowing their kids to misbehave and ruin others’ outings is OK is because they’re using their kids as a weapon to control others, and compensate for all the humiliation they take off their employers, creditors, spouses, etc. Nothing a passive-aggressive middle-management drone likes to do better on a Saturday than take his several young children (whom he doesn’t really like all that much and wasn’t asked whether he wanted to have in the first place) to a public space, and allow them to make other people as miserable as he is himself, and as miserable as he’d like to be able to make them himself.

When you claim that someone has a right to basically aurally assault a bunch of innocent strangers in a public place with a 20-month-old’s tantrums, that’s what you sound like. Like you have a sadistic, latent desire to stick it to these other people who aren’t burdened with the toddler you chose to grunt into the world. Grow the f*ck up, and have some consideration for people besides the one who dropped out of your loins. It’s sadistic BS like “my child has a right to ruin anything s/he wants and the rest of you just have to suck it up” that is destroying community in this culture.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

I was, and I was a horror acc. to the parents. They left me at home, or when unable, rarely sat together for a meal because I had to be removed usually within 20 minutes. So basically they rarely went out. (We ended up being one of the first families on our block with the home theatre experience. )

• maxamus2 says:

And I bet you walked uphill to and from school, 4 miles each way in the pounding snow/rain.

• yurei avalon says:

I know right? I grew up in the 80′s and 90′s and my mother always made it very clear that if I caused a scene somewhere public she’d drop me over her knee right then and there and spank me.

I know, these new age people think spanking is so darned traumatizing and awful. It’s really not a big deal, kids usually aren’t willing to call the spanking bluff and I know from personal experience it only takes one good spanking to make you decide you do not ever want to go through that again.

Granted my mother was also abusive to me- verbal abuse as well as she would hit me in the face area. But I had no issue with being spanked if I deserved it.

• maxamus2 says:

So………if I don’t eat at a 4 star restaurant and spend $200 I am forced to have to deal with other peoples screaming brats? Sucks to be a 99%er I guess.

• Snoofin says:

I expect that kids shouldnt be brought to restaurants of ANY kind. Leave them at home if they cant behave. If people actually raised their kids right we wouldnt need to have this discussion

• Snoofin says:

Also when I was growing up the saying “Children should be seen and not heard” was ingrained into my head. What ever happened to that rule?

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I agree in that you shouldn’t bring kids to places if they can’t behave. Our child is 9 and she has never thrown a tantrum or cried in a restaurant, ever.

Now we do have a few issues with the grocery store. When she becomes unpleasant, I just put back her special snack(s) and she usually stops being sassy. I don’t give out too many warnings. If it continues, she doesn’t get to go with me for a long time and I get to pick out her food/snacks, no requests taken. She usually ends up with only healthy stuff that she doesn’t want and that tends to solve the issue for a while as well.

My point is, there are ways to control your kid. Letting them know you mean business and following through really works. Kids are able to behave in public places if you teach them to and come equipped (crayons and a special coloring book, snacks in case the food takes too long, etc…)

• pot_roast says:

So what do we do when we DO go to a “fancy restaurant” and there are children screaming? Is it then ok to say “Take it outside?” The glorification of children in our modern society has blurred the lines between what is appropriate adult time and what is not.

• RayanneGraff says:

Agreed, and “The glorification of children in our modern society has blurred the lines between what is appropriate adult time and what is not.” is one of the best, most eloquent ways I’ve ever heard to describe the current child-fetishism our society suffers from. I’m really sick of this new thinking that absolutely EVERYWHERE has to be kid-friendly & that adults don’t have the right to expect a pleasant dining experience unless they go to a 5-star restaurant.

I haven’t been a kid since the 80s, but I remember going out to eat with my parents as a child & NOT seeing kids being given free reign to “express themselves” all over the restaurant. I had to sit still & be quiet or else my parents would box up their dinners, we would leave, & I got what-for from my dad as soon as we got home. Believe it or not, my self-esteem was & is just fine, despite being disciplined as a child :)

• RayanneGraff says:

I should clarify- I had to “be quiet” as in not scream, yell, or throw fits. I WAS allowed to speak & giggle & whatnot, lol…

• Jawaka says:

I stopped caring about anything you had to say after lol wut.

• LabGnome says:

Oh, I get it. Anything and everything should go if I am not dining at a fancy restaurant. /s

4. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Why didn’t the restaurant owners just pay Yelp to bury the bad reviews?

• cparkin says:

Yelp won their latest lawsuit with prejudice in that regard. There probably won’t be many more claims about supposedly being able to pay to have reviews moved or removed.

• Rainicorn with baby bats says:

They’re probably tired of the screaming too.

5. kobresia says:

No, they shouldn’t have to be told. But a great number of parents are self-absorbed and egotistical a-holes who seem to be under the impression that it’s a –privilege– for everyone else to have to deal with their rotten little snowflakes. And that’s why they have to be told and/or even berated over their rude, entitled behavior that imposes on everyone else.

• missy070203 says:

sounds like my sister…… I told her that her 2 children were becoming monsters because of her selfish parenting – her reply: “but they are my little monsters and I love them just the way they are” ….. asinine – and total crap – I can’t wait to see how her opinion changes when they get to school age and have serious behavioral issues….

• Tyanna says:

Then it will be the teacher’s fault for not being able to control her children. It will also be the teacher’s fault for when the kids get bad grads.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I loathe people who think that it’s cute when their kid acts like a spoiled brat. And, I can promise that when they get older and she has problems with them, she will blame it on the school, teachers, principal, etc… She won’t take responsibility. Parents never do. As a teacher, I can tell you that the worst kids are the ones whose parents stick up for them the most, and they are also the ones who blame everyone else.

6. humphrmi says:

As a parent who has had to do this plenty of times, taking the troublesome kids outside not only relieves other patrons of an unpleasant experience but also gives the troublesome kid a little time out. Eventually, just the act of picking up my sons in anticipation of taking them outside when they were kvetching loudly often was enough to get them to quiet down.

• menty666 says:

I’ve done this too just as a courtesy, it’s not that big a deal. It’s annoying when you’re trying to enjoy your meal, but so is having your kid throwing a hissy in the booth next to you

• Outrun1986 says:

This has worked for my parents, and my grandparents. The kids usually didn’t misbehave very frequently but they knew it was serious when they got taken to the car, then punished for the act when they got home.

• nosense22 says:

Good advice. Taking kids outside to a new enviornment is usually a good idea. Also, as a parent of a 1 year old, I appreciate other kids not crying in front of my son. It sometimes causes a chain reaction.

7. GrayMatter says:

My daughter (look up stubborn infant and you will see her picture) would regularly go off in restaurants. I would pick her up, and go to the car, put her in the car seat, and sit “reading” anything that was in the car, ignoring her until she quieted down.

My wife got a LOT of quiet, single meals at that time. Finally she learned.

Used the same thing on my son; he adjusted faster.

Meals for everyone were much nicer after that.

• GrayMatter says:

Uhh…My DAUGHTER learned. My wife was and is pretty intelligent.

• mypcrepairguy says:

Wow, that’s great advice, thanks! Hope to use this in a year or two once we have our own bundle of…joy.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

“My wife got a LOT of quiet, single meals at that time. Finally she learned.”

I read that as your wife learned, which made me chuckle. I am picturing your wife poking your daughter under the table with a fork until she cried, so she could enjoy the meal alone.

• Jane_Gage says:

Going to do this too if I ever have kids, only I’ll be outside the car laughing.

• Conformist138 says:

This, this in every way. This is what my parents did to us. I don’t remember many meals being ruined since I always learned to ‘be good’ really fast and my brother would learn anything that meant he wasn’t separated from his cheeseburger.

Now my best friend has a 3 year old daughter and they use similar tactics with her, though her punishment is to go to the corner. They ask her if she needs a corner to calm down, she of course says “no” (through sobs) and calms down because she knows they aren’t afraid to find a secluded area and stick her nose in the corner. (I kind of like it when they do, just because she acts like her little face has been glued to the wall- she fights with her body, but can’t overcome the power of her parents telling her to stay there. It’s hilarious!)

• HogwartsProfessor says:

That’s what my parents did too. When I acted up in church, I was sent to the car. Wasn’t allowed to take any reading material (bulletins, etc.) with me either. After a while, I learned to settle down. And my mother stopped the grocery store whining by not taking us anymore.

• haggis for the soul says:

Yep, this works, and it’s good parenting. You have to be willing to do the work and put up with some inconvenience now for good results in the long run. Unfortunately, not every parent is willing.

8. BadIdeaSociety says:

If I were in Atlanta, I would patronize this restaurant simply for the classy way they handled this situation. They weren’t rude about the situation and they are directly addressing a frequent complaint from customers. I would like to nominate this place for the “Most Mature Handling of Yelp Complaint” award.

9. travel_nut says:

As the mother of a 2-year-old, I am firmly on the restaurant’s side. No one ought to be subjected to a baby or small child’s screeching. My son is often loud and rambunctious, as many 2 year olds are, but if he becomes too loud or disruptive we take him outside. It’s basic human decency.

We were in an ice cream shop the other night. There was a small girl there who looked 2-3, who stood to one side and screamed–bellowed, even–in a high pitch tone. Constantly. While the rest of her family got in line, stood in line, pondered what to order, eventually ordered, waited for their ice cream, tasted their ice cream. That little girl was LOUD and her screams were shrill and piercing. It was incredibly unpleasant.

• dg says:

I’d have walked out. And I’d have loudly told the shop owner that I was leaving because S/he didn’t bother to say anything to another customer. (No, it’s not my responsibility to say anything to someone else – it’s the shop owner’s. If the shop owner cares enough to say something, then I won’t hold it against them. If they say nothing, then I’ll take my business elsewhere – someplace quiet.).

Parents (yes, I am one) – keep YOUR kids under control. If you have to get up and walk out of the restaurant with the demonspawn 100 times during your meal, I’m not going to hold it against you – YOU’RE trying to do something. But do nothing? I’m walking out of the restaurant to someplace quiet – and I’m not paying the restaurant for anything I haven’t touched, received or eaten… So if I’ve ordered and gotten drinks – they’ll get the $$$ for that, but I’m not paying for anything else. They can get their money from YOU because YOU caused the problem. My bargain with them was for fare and decent ambiance so I could enjoy the meal – they don’t give me that, they get nothing more than money for what I’ve actually consumed.

• Nyxalinth says:

Let me guess: the little brat also got ice cream. She should have been taken outside and had none.

10. SerenityDan says:

The only thing about this that bothers me is that people were giving the place bad reviews over some idiot with a crying kid.

• Coleoptera Girl says:

Sounds as if the place is awesome… EXCEPT for the shrieking children. o__O

• Cor Aquilonis says:

It’s not the crying kid, it’s the lack of management addressing the parents of the crying kid.

• Earl Butz says:

I will do it every time. It is incumbent on any public establishment to actually MANAGE their premises, and that means keeping ill-behaved, screaming people outside the door. Their age is totally irrelevant.

• Geekybiker says:

I’ve given poor reviews because of hordes of screaming children. Its unpleasant to be around and If I’m paying for a meal out, I’d rather not deal with it. I want to know if a place is typically overrun with kids, and others do to.

11. polishhillbilly says:

We where all kids once, I’m sure you where the quietest kids, who never cried or talked to your parents.

• crispyduck13 says:

We where all kids once…

Apparently you still are. Also: way to miss the point entirely.

• polishhillbilly says:

No, I got the Point. Did you? Dealing with kids is something we must endure, like smelling that nasty man perfume, cigarette smoke, gin breath, etc…

• El_Fez says:

No, it’s not. I didn’t chose to have kids, so why should I have my treat, my night on the town, ruined because someone cant keep their brats in line and behave like we – as a society – have determined we should?

• crispyduck13 says:

Jesus Christ I really hope you don’t have children.

• Liam Kinkaid says:

If he does, I’m gonna smoke a pack of Camel unfiltered and a bottle of Beefeater’s while breathing into their faces. Hey, we all gotta deal with it, right?

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

You should not have to deal with gin breath, unless you are unable to communicate to people that you don’t want them so close to you that you can smell their breath.

Also, nobody should have to put up with cigarette smoke that doesn’t want to. It falls on the one making a disturbance to remove themselves from the situation, not the one they’re disturbing. The only exception is when it’s completely unavoidable for the actors health or safety. None of your situations describe that.

• RayanneGraff says:

Do you honestly think you HAVE to put up with those things? Cause you don’t. You really don’t. You sound like the world’s biggest pacifist. Stand up for yourself, you don’t have to put up with shitty, obnoxious behavior from ANYONE else!

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

I actually was a quiet child… Probably had something to do with my parents actually disciplining me whan I was unruly and/or disruptive.

• CPENinja says:

Same here – my parents were happy to report that by the time they had me (the 3rd), we were generally ok in movies and restaurants. Our biggest issue were those doors marked ‘alarm will sound if opened,’

They were candy to us.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

We all used to drool on ourselves and crawl once; why shouldn’t we all do that now, or permit it under any circumstance?

• BorkBorkBork says:

I was. And I spent a lot of time being taken out of stores because my parents wouldn’t put up with my crap. I learned that causing a ruckus only ended badly for me.

Parents parenting…what an idea!

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Actually, when I was very young, I was a horrible brat. Which is why I didn’t get to see the inside of a restaurant until I was a bit older, and knew the proper way to behave in public. As a single parent, my mother made the intellegent decision to not take myself and my two sisters out to restaurants until we were all disciplined enough to not cause a scene.

• humphrmi says:

When I made noise, my parents took me outside.

• humphrmi says:

When I made noise, my parents took me outside.

• icntdrv says:

When I acted a fool in public I got a warning first, a spanking second, and then we went home and I got put to bed without dinner.

Mom and Dad didn’t expect innocent bystanders to tolerate my rotten behavior just because it was “part of child raising.” Part of parenting is teching your children acceptable behavior in public.

• ExtraCelestial says:

No one is expecting a child to be silent, we are expecting the parent be a parent and address undesirable behavior. Humans are not sea horses. We are born to caretakers whose role, among other things, is to provide guidance

I feel bad so many people blame the child for bad behavior when really they are just acting in a way that has been learned and reinforced. It’s the parents that hold the responsibility and the parents that should be blamed when the child is allowed to be unruly

• El_Fez says:

Hell yes I was. I started to act up or mouth off and cause a scene, my mom didnt stand for that shit. I was out the door and over her knee so fast it would make your head spin. After a couple times I learned not to do that.

So quit excusing bad parenting and enabling them to expose the rest of us to those shitty brats.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Mine too – first it was the sharp Mom elbow jab, then she would lean over and whisper very quietly that if I didn’t behave we were going to the car. That meant being marched out of the store, to the car, where I would get a whack. And then we would go home, I didn’t get what I was whining about, and then she’d tell my Dad, and I’d get another whack. Depending on how bad I was, I may have also lost TV or other privileges.

My parents did not beat me – this was an open hand on my clothed behind, and it was more humiliating than painful, but I learned not to act like a Tasmanian Devil in public.

• Solkanar512 says:

I was the eldest of three boys and she was the master of the ear pull. One time I complained that she would rip it off and she responded with, “That’s ok, the doctor can sew it back on!”. And that was the end of that.

Imagine my annoyance when I grew up and understood the structure of the ear and the fact that sewing it back on would be fairly easy.

Yeah, we were a rambunctious bunch but my parents made sure we knew what was and was not appropriate to do in public. We weren’t perfect, but our actions weren’t ignored either. We all know what it was like being a kid and not knowing how to be patient or how to sit still or the like, and we all generally understand that children will be children. What we complain about is that the parents aren’t doing their job in these situations. And yes, it’s a minority of children because the well behaved ones don’t garner this attention. That’s an important thing to remember.

• RayanneGraff says:

It’s funny, you can always weed out the parents of the children who make dining out a living hell for other patrons. They leave comments like yours :)

• hockeycat58 says:

My parents took my outside until I calmed down. You call yourself a hillbilly, but my hillbilly grandparents would have given them a switch to the hind legs (not that I approve of that), but clearly you aren’t a hillbilly.

• smo0 says:

I never acted up, both mom and dad confirmed this.

Some kids have even temperment.

My cousin… not so much.

But my mother pulled her aside one night and said, “I want you to take 10 minutes and go into the ladies room and compose yourself, then you may rejoin me.”
      My cousin never acted up after that incident.

If you take the time, it can be accomplished.

Some kids can’t be calmed down, if you have this issue – don’t go out in public places that don’t encourage children – go somewhere else, i.e. a playground or chuck e. cheese.

Why is this so difficult.

I can’t tell you how many times I’m in a theatre, watching an adult movie, and some breeder has her crotch spawn screaming or running around.

WHY WOULD YOU TAKE A CHILD TO A MOVIE?!
      Especially one that isn’t produced for their age bracket.

So don’t try to argue how we were all screaming brats at one time… because as behaved as I was, my mother never took me to the movies as a baby or a nice restaurant.

There’s a time and a place.

All these parents are is selfish and not willing to go the full mile to properly rear a child.

12. captadam says:

Whenever my nephew acts in a restaurant, my brother and sister-in-law remove him immediately. I wish more were like that!

13. nbs2 says:

And this is going to end well in the comments section.

I like the stance that the pizzaria is taking here – kid noise is fine in a family dining establishment, it’s a meltdown that would be a little kinder to take outside. I’ve got two kids. When service is slow or inefficient, they notice – they get bored and have the standard tendency to get antsy. When service is working, I notice – they sit calmly and eat/color/whatever. But, even when they are making noise – talking, laughing, etc – it isn’t anything beyond what one should expect to hear in an environment that caters to families (if they have high chairs/boosters/kids menus – all or any – they cater to families).

That being said, there is no excuse to let a meltdown occur in a confined establishment. Not for the other patrons, but for the kid. Something is bothering the kid, and at least in our case, taking them outside can act as a reset button – calming them down and relaxing them for reentry. That others are affected is only a byproduct that is sad and avoidable. Put another way, I get frustrated when someone’s kid melts down, but beyond grumbling, I can choose to be angry or move on – any anger is my own choosing.

If you are in a place that doesn’t cater to families (you have your three yo in a regular chair), all bets are off – once the kid exceeds ambient noise, you need to resolve it. We issue one warning, and then go outside for a “conversation.” Each parent needs to figure out what works for their kid.

14. missminimonster says:

Right now my son is an infant, so when we’re going to go out (anywhere) we make sure we do so soon after a feeding/changing so his needs are met and he’s drowsy. I know that we won’t have that luxury as much as he gets older and I do plan on going out to the car when he starts getting loud.

I still wouldn’t give an establishment a lower rating due to other diners’ behavior, though.

15. axiomatic says:

I’ve always been one of the kid defenders on this site (versus the breeder haters) but this is a perfectly reasonable request from this pizzeria. When my kids are out of line I most assuredly take him outside to chillax. It’s the respectful thing to do.

16. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

As a parent, I didn’t allow my daughter to shriek her head off in public. If she wouldn’t settle down within a reasonable amount of time, I removed her from the store, restaurant, church, wherever until she was quiet or we just went home.

If your child is screaming so loudly and causing ear bleeds, it’s time to try to quiet them or take them outside/away from people. It’s like when people have small children, their hearing fails and they just tune it out.

17. Remarkable Melba Kramer says:

Queue the non-parent parenting advice in 3….2….1……

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I hate when people say this. i raise my kid the exact same way I planned to before become a parent. Exactly. Lots of people do. You just have to be realistic enough not to be blinded by the bullshit idea that your kid is the most special creation in the universe and shouldn’t be corrected or taught to act right.

• Solkanar512 says:

Not everyone without kids hates them.

• Jules Noctambule says:

I used to be a nanny, so yes — this non-parent (who used to get *paid* to raise other people’s kids) has plenty of useful advice!

• RayanneGraff says:

OK, why does someone have to BE a parent to recognize bad parenting when they see it? I’ll be the first to admit that my mom was WAY too permissive with both me and my now 8 y/o sister, my dad has always been the disciplinarian & the only parent who gets any obedience or respect. *I* do a better job disciplining my sister than my mom does. The kid behaves better with me & listens when I tell her to do something, so I guess maybe I’m doing something right by setting limits & punishments & following through with them. Gee, but I guess I have no right to an opinion cause I haven’t crapped out a kid of my own! I know perfectly well what it’s like to raise a child. I took care of my sister all day long every day up until she started school, she even called ME “mom” for a while, so can the “you don’t know what it’s like!” sanctimommy BS.

• SilentAgenger says:

There’s a flip side to this: Non-parents can just as easily say “Queue the parental advice from parents who think the sole act of producing an offspring suddenly makes them a PHD in parenting.” I’ll give you this, though: The one advantage parents have over non-parents is the realization of the unique bond between parent and offspring. Aside from that, it’s anybody’s ball game.

I’m a non-parent, but I have a many years of experience living the parent/child relationship from the child’s point of view, and many more years of examining that relationship from the adult point of view (gaining an ever-maturing perspective along the way). In addition: many years of experience helping to raise my nieces and nephews. Through that entire process I’ve seen good and bad parenting skills and experienced the results firsthand, and I’ve had to step into the “parent” role myself a time or two.

The world is filled with non-parents whose parental capabilities far exceed those of actual parents. If you want to discount their advice, that’s fine, but it doesn’t deny their ability to dispense it.

• Solkanar512 says:

Yes, because as children, non-parents have never bonded with their own parents. That makes so much sense.

• nybiker says:

Cue the proper-word police in 3…2…1..

• daemonaquila says:

Sounds good to me. You don’t have to be a dog owner to criticize a dog owner who lets his dog off the leash everywhere, biting people, either.

18. Cicadymn says:

“Menu Disclaimer: Everyone Will Hate You A Lot Less If You Take Your Crying Child Outside”

That menu disclaimer is right.

19. ExtraCelestial says:

Customers made legitimate complaints; owners listened and responded accordingly. That’s how you run a successful business. Seems easy enough, but so rarely happens

20. Sad Sam says:

Chucky Cheese and similar establishments are the only places where screaming children should be, somewhat, tolerated. Otherwise, even if its a family friendly place, screaming/crying children should be removed from the restaurant which is what parents did for years and years until more recently when many, certainly not all, started to simply indulge and/or ignore the behavior.

21. shoes says:

From the article: “Parmer says the restaurant received a number of complaints about children crying on Yelp, and there was also an incident where a child hit another customer in the head with a toy. That‚Äôs when Parmer says the written request to parents became necessary.”

Seriously … hitting some poor stranger in the head goes way beyond the defense of “kids will be kids”. I’d like to see that family get a lifetime ban, picture on the wall and everything.

• dg says:

Someone’s kid hits me in the head with ANYTHING and I’m calling the cops immediately. No BS, no playing around, I’m not yelling – I’m calling the cops. And depending on what it was that I got hit with, I may call an ambulance and go to the hospital to be checked out. AND, I’m sending the parental unit of the demonspawn that hit me with something the bills for all of it. They don’t pay? It’ll be a very bad choice for them.

22. milty45654 says:

Perfect reason why we need mandatory birth control; way too many people anyway. Stop having kids; eventually this problem will self correct. /s

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

The world would be a far better place in a couple decades if we had a 1:1 birth:death ratio.

23. docshar says:

Whether it’s a restaurant or any other public place, my 5-year-old learned a LONG time ago that throwing a tantrum was not going to get her what she wanted. It was going to make us leave. I also learned a LONG time ago to figure out before we even leave the house if she’s too tired/hyper/whatever to be able to behave well, and in those cases, I don’t set her up for failure. We just don’t go. Parents whose kids are screaming in restaurants fail on both of those counts.

• crispyduck13 says:

“…I don’t set her up for failure. We just don’t go.”

I think that’s the best parenting advice I’ve ever heard. It’s pretty simple, but people do the opposite all the time.

• ExtraCelestial says:

SO TRUE!!

And no hungry 2 yo can be expected to sit patiently for half an hour with nothing to do. I can barely do that. Bring quiet activities with you and space out meals appropriately

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Oh God, that’s so true. I knew this person at a job I had once who kept complaining that whenever she and her husband took their toddler to fancy adult restaurants with them, she would misbehave. I asked her what she did about it and she said “Nothing.”

K, I don’t have kids, but GOOD GOD. Little bitty kids can’t sit still that long and they get cranky when they’re hungry. Everybody knows this. I gently suggested that they maybe try something a bit more family-friendly, where the wait for food wasn’t so long, and have a toy or two she could play with so she wouldn’t get bored. I hope she at least tried it.

24. Sparkstalker says:

Much like common sense, common courtesy seems to be not so common. Taking kids outside shouldn’t have to be asked for on the menu – I’ve done it with my daughter enough times that now the threat of it is usually enough to straighten her out…

25. BD2008 says:

I eat many a meal in restaurants and am constantly confused by the reports I read here about kids running around crazy, throwing food and screaming. I can’t recall a single time that I’ve observed this behavior from a child and I don’t believe most of you have either.

• crispyduck13 says:

Well as a former full time waitress I can tell you as fact: this shit happens frequently.

• philpm says:

Consider yourself fortunate. It does happen with regularity. Either you are eating exclusively in fancy restaurants where children are rare, or the universe is just saving it up to dump it on you in quantity.

• Outrun1986 says:

I think it depends largely on the area, restaurant type you go to and location of the restaurant. Some places just breed screaming children, while others are fine. I have experienced screaming children, but very rarely so much so that I barely even notice it. Usually the parents quell the screaming before it becomes annoying. I have never experienced incessant screaming that goes on for 20-30 min in any establishment, but I would hope if that happens, that the owners would step in and ask the family to leave.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Don’t believe it all you want, but that doesn’t make it not happen.

• levelone says:

I was once at a *brewpub* where the parents let the kid lay face down on the floor doing who knows what for over five minutes. The poor waitress had to step over and around him just to get to our table and you could tell she was embarrassed. We never went there again.

It sure does happen.

26. xanadustc says:

Yep…I stopped going to Starbucks because our town SB seems to be a beacon for self-absorbed parents that can not keep their screaming children quiet. It is bad enough hearing it, but this young child was running amok over the store….NOT SAFE. And you know that if she bumped into someone who spilled hot coffee on her, SB and the customer would be liable for the injury that could be prevented if the parent kept the kid still….but no, the conversation with the other MOFD club (mothers of future delinquents) members was more important than the safety of the child. I brought this to the attention of SB corporate, but they did not seem to care.

• elangomatt says:

Maybe the MOFDer should have just gotten the toddler a babyccino to get them to behave. Get em hooked early on the SB crack.

27. dg says:

• gman863 says:

You’re being too nice. If anyone (regardless of age) hits me, I’ll cold cock the motherfucker and let the paramedics sort it out.

28. Azagthoth says:

Who are the assholes posting negative reviews because a kid is screaming? I want to read a review about the quality of the food, service, and price. How other patrons are behaving has no impact on my reviews.

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

So you don’t care at all about the ambiance or noise level of the restaraunt? This wasn’t just an isolated review, it was multiple ones, a recurring issue. Since you don’t care about the “behavior of other patrons”, you wouldn’t want to know if, say, a potential location was right next to a strip club and is known for getting drunk unruly guys disturbing it? Want to bring your family there?

• Azagthoth says:

If it is located in the part of town that has strip clubs next door then I won’t be taking my family to that area already. This is not a bunch of drunk strippers or unruly patrons. It is children doing what our bodies at that age are programmed to do when they need attention: cry. If the parents don’t give the children that attention, the parents are the problem, not the restaurant.

I understand ambiance, but some things are just out of the establishments control. If the proprietor asks the kids to shut up he is an asshole to a bunch of reviewers, but if he keeps quiet he has bad ambiance to others. He took a passive aggressive approach to try to sooth both sides.

• Nobody can say "Teehee" with a straight face says:

• Azagthoth says:

“If you’re already familiar with the place, you likely wouldn’t read reviews. Reviews are for people looking to go/try something new with no background information.”

Non sequitur. I in know way implied that people that are familiar with the restaurant would be reading the reviews. I did say that if it was in a seedy part of town you would already know that. Everyone knows where the bad parts of town are, unless you are new to town, at which point you would discover upon arriving and find somewhere else to go.

“Your body also crapped in your pants, sucked your thumb, and sucked on your mother’s breast for milk. Hopefully most of those habits were broken by your parents.”

Yes, in due time. But crying is not only natural for a baby, it is their only form of communication. You seem to be in a mindset that children are just miniature adults with proper parenting. But they aren’t. They do wildly inappropriate things, have mood swings, and act out even when they are old enough to know that there are consequences. Most children can be taught proper manners and etiquette, but others take more time. Unbelievably to some, all children are not the same. Anybody knows that a child misbehaving in a restaurant is annoying to the other patrons, but posting a negative review about said restaurant because of that child is ridiculous. It would be akin to posting a negative review of Disneyland because it rained on the day you went.

I’m all for taking your crying chldren outside to calm them down, but I still think anybody who posts a review about this, especially in a pizza joint that is self proclaimed “a family restaurant”, is an asshole. What we need is a review site for the parents.

• RayanneGraff says:

I’d certainly care to know whether the management of an establishment allows their customers to behave like a bunch of apes. If I read a lot of reviews about a restaurant that say kids are allowed to run wild there- I don’t care how good the food is, I’m not setting foot in there. I have immense respect for restaurants that have the nards to actually say something to the parent/s of a misbehaving child. Hell, not just restaurants either. I was in Ross one time & was very pleasantly surprised to hear an announcement over the intercom asking parents to please control their children or else bring their purchases to the front counter so they could be checked out as quickly as possible. Once a place gets a reputation of not taking crap from kiddies, the few shitty parents who quit coming there will be replaced by droves of customers who appreciate the pleasant atmosphere.

29. Jason Litka says:

I don’t care if you’re at Chuck E Cheese, if your kid is screaming, you go outside.

30. Mike says:

You know what? You actually go outside with the kid once or twice, and they generally stop acting up in restaurants.

31. Sarek says:

As a non-parent, I cringe whenever a family with young children enters the restaurant I’m patronizing.

On the one hand, little kids are going to have meltdowns, that’s just the nature of the beast. I grok that sometimes the parents just are unable to calm them down. But in that case, perhaps they should take it outside whenever possible.

On the other hand, many parents don’t control their little monsters and let them run amok.

32. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot says:

A few years back I was in a family restaurant and there was a family with a young daughter who was having an absolute meltdown. The parents just sat there and did nothing. Eventually, everyone in my booth, the booth behind them, the booth beside them and the far table turned around and just STARED at them. It took 2 mins and the parents quickly paid and left. Sometimes you gotta shame them into doing the right thing.

33. bobomb says:

Yes yes yes, a thousand times yes. Nobody wants to hear your screaming brats. Even if brats, just having a bad day or whatever, I care. Nobody wants to hear them.

I’ve always said this, and now that I have kids I say it more strongly than ever. We do not let our kids act like fools in a restaurant and disturb everyone. I will take them outside. We have 2.5 year old twins and an 8 month old, and I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve had to take them outside. I don’t care if food just got to the table, if one of the kids is acting dumb, we go outside.

34. BradenR says:

When my grandsons were young, we always told them, please put on your store and restaurant manners now. We were enjoying our meal when the next booth became occupied with a noisy child who didn’t have the manners to sit down. My eldest grandson turned to the mother and said “you don’t love hm very much” I had taught them parents who love their children require them to have manners that suited the location. The mother picked up the child and walked out; I couldn’t have come up with a better idea.

35. BradenR says:

36. jojobreckinridge says:

I grew up in the 70′s, and we weren’t taken to restaurants very often. Not so much because of behavior, but because my mom cooked just about every meal at home. And eating out was something grown-ups did when they wanted to get away from us. “Casual dining” just wasn’t as prevalent then, either. I can assure you that if we had acted up in a restaurant we would not have only been swiftly removed, there would have been no dinner and we would have been whisked home while getting a very stern talking to and probably a spanking.

My son had issues when he was in the pre-K ages, but we always always always whisked him outside at the first peep. Like a previous commenter, my husband and I each had more than our fair share of family meals alone while the other dealt with the kid.

What drives me most crazy is the trend for multiple families to converge on restaurants with their entire broods in tow. Inevitably there will be kids running around screaming or jumping on booths/chairs while parents sit engrossed in conversation with each other for an hour after they finish their meals. I’ve never been a server but I truly do feel for those in this profession who have to put up with inattentive parents and their horribly behaved kids.

37. bkginsu says:

Weather permitting, of course.

38. Crewzzer says:

True story: I was in a lovely restaurant with my sister. We were deep in conversation and were simultaneously distracted by a baby crying and realized the child had been crying for some time. Looking around, I see a baby carrier with crying baby set on the floor and four adults in conversation. This goes on with none of the adults even looking down at crying child.
    Finally, I asked our server to perhaps suggest to the group that there were complaints being lodged by other patrons (this is nearly 10 minutes into the child’s distress). We saw the father look up at the waitress, scowl, look at his wife and curl his lip and then hoist the baby carrier to remove the child from the restaurant. We left before that group did, but I’m sure the server got a terrible tip for reminding people that they do not hang the moon.
    We can only hope that one of the parents at least checked to see if the child was hungry or wet.

39. DrPizza says:

I’ve got an idea for a new website: www dot screamingkidsinrestaurantsandtheirworthlessparentswhodonothing dot com

People upload videos of the offenders to youtube, and they’re categorized by state and city on the new website.

40. kgb says:

OR you can let your kid know up front that being loud and throwing a fit isn’t going to be tolerated ANY TIME…not just out in public.
    My daughter attempted a fit once at a store and I took her to the bathroom and refused to react to her fit. It stopped pretty damned quick.
    She didn’t get away with yelling in the car either. All it took was a “HEY! Knock it off!”
    I seriously don’t believe in the idea of leaving where you are and GOING HOME when you’re out, just because your brat is being…a brat. If you don’t put up with it in the first place, it’s not an issue. And if you can’t go out in public because your kid is such a pain in the ass, YOU have issues….and usually blame everyone for not ‘understanding’ your kid.

41. zz9 says:

I read a few years ago that Callista Flockheart, just after she had her kid, was in a Hollywood restaurant and he started screaming. After a minute of trying to calm him down she left. It was only later that every other diner found she had paid all their bills.

I hope she didn’t take that from his pocket money years later…

42. prosumer1 says:

It’s a no-brainer, and it doesn’t matter if it’s a family eatery, or a fancy steak house (if it’s a nice dinner, than you should spot for a babysitter). If a baby starts crying, take him or her out of the dining area. I have a 2.5 year-old, and for the most part, he’s well-behaved, but he has his moments. All kids do. It’s your job as a parent to not make others’ dining experience suck. I paid to dine out, and I didn’t pay for the “crying kids” option. I didn’t ask for it.

43. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Discipline your kids. I don’t care how you do it, just do it. You can’t have a normal, civilized society when it’s filled with adults who have no idea how to interact with other adults because they were allowed to be little monster their entire life.

44. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

45. hockeycat58 says:

This is awesome. I had a drunk women get mad at me for complaining about another diner’s child climbing on a chair behind my wife while we were trying to have a nice dinner. Because of that experience and the restaurant not really doing anything, I haven’t been back. I like the place, but I would rather go where I can have a meal in relative peace.

It should be noted that as a parent, I am not sure that I would want my kids standing on chairs at a sushi bar, unsupervised, next to drunk adults.

2nd favorite unsupervised story was the children running under a Dart board at a brewery. So this is great and anyone who disagrees with it pretty much sucks and shouldn’t be allowed to go out to eat until they learn some manners or parenting skills.

46. sahovaman says:

I don’t know what is wrong with kids. I literally never had tantrums as a kid. My parents keep saying that they got lucky with me. I never caused embarassing moments, I just did as I was told. I wasn’t threatened with a spanking or whack in the head. I just did as I was told.

• RayanneGraff says:

Ever notice how some adults are just jerks for no reason while others seem to never get mad? Same with kids. Some are just calmer than others. I didn’t act up much at all as a child either. One time though, my mom & I were in K-Mart when I was about 5 or 6, and I thought it would be a good idea to run away & play a game of “can’t catch me!” with my mom. Oh… bad idea. When she caught me I knew I was in for it, and boy I was right. I got a thorough spanking from both her and my dad, and rightly so. I couldn’t sit for a WEEK. I didn’t get to go shopping with her for a long time after that either, and I never pulled that kind of crap again, lol…

47. cynner says:

When I go to restaurants, I ask to be seated in the “non-screaming” section.

48. daemonaquila says:

Yay pizzeria! Whether you take your kids to a McDonald’s or a pricey sushi joint, they are your responsibility and nobody else’s problem – don’t let them become one.

I was in a Verizon store today and got to watch one of these idiot parent/brat combinations at work. The mother let her toddler run amok, pulling phone accessories off every wall and flinging them all over the floor. It’s not like she wasn’t watching – she just had “better things to do” apparently. She could have literally taken the kid in hand and kept her from tearing the place apart, but she didn’t even say anything to the kid, while store staff chased it all over to prevent merchandise from getting damaged underfoot.

49. Tombo says:

“…unfortunately for them….I’ll call them on it. Have almost gotten into numerous physical confrontations…”

You sound like a wonderful human being. Picking fights with an obviously overwhelmed parent over a kid crying, that’s class. Do you know what a sociopath is?

50. Verdant Pine Trees says:

I just think it’s sad that they have to post this kind of common sense in their menus.

51. Froggee285 says:

My father would always say something to the extent of, “See that old lady over there??? Shes looking at you….” and for whatever reason that snapped me back into place. Because I would look, and she would look, and I would imagine she was some mean old bitty and I would shut up and sit down or else.

52. raitch says:

Am I the only parent here whose kids sometimes cried because they *wanted* to be brought outside? It’s not quite the miracle cure when their fit-pitching gets them exactly what they want.

53. krom says:

My instinct is to respond with “OK, I’ll take my child outside… to my car, and to another restaurant”.

Probably best if they just let you know that they don’t like babies there ahead of time, so that parents don’t waste their time going there.

(Yes, chronically crying babies can be a problem, but if you’re expected to leave your table every time your kid whines or yelps, you don’t get to have an enjoyable lunch or dinner, because you won’t be there to eat any of it.)