Smooth Out Dry, Scaly Skin On Elbows And Knees

Cold temperatures and dry air can leave your elbows and knees discolored and as rough as sandpaper, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors. But there are home remedies you can try to spring yourself from the prison of chapped skin around your joints.

Daily Glow recommends combining chickpea flour and yogurt, then massaging the gunk into your skin before washing it off. Aloe vera and a corn flour-water paste are also worth a try.

Another recommendation from the post is to exfoliate the rough skin with a scrub, then moisturize it with a honey or glycerin-based soap.

Covering the affected areas with clothing should also help the healing process.

How to get rid of discolored skin on knees and elbows [Daily Glow]

Comments

1. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Remember to use a sturdy pumice stone to remove those unsightly nipples.

2. shinseiromeo says:

Use Jergens?

3. MichaelRyanSD says:

I hope they don’t pay you for this Phil, I really hope this is a hobby and not a paid profession.

I only click these stories now just to read the funny comments, like Chris Chase on yahoo.

• May contain snark says:

^ Agreed.

• humphrmi says:

I’m usually against the crowd that questions the posts here, but I’m having an increasingly hard time reading this blog. This morning we have how to wash your hands, how to buy a toothbrush, how to fix a chair, and how to take care of your skin. Gone are the really hard hitting consumer stories about consumerists taking on the big businesses.

I realize I’m being a whiney biatch but I’m tired of “how to do something your mom already taught you” stories.

• chefboyardee says:

this. a million times, this.

• thisisit says:

This has been the standard for at least a year now.

Also the fact that most comments have turned into ‘inb4′ and meme type responses. Too bad this community has gone so downhill.

• Don't Bother says:

The community hasn’t gone downhill. It’s just that the content posted here is so devoid of inspiration that we have to find non sequitors and puns to keep us happy and entertained. The comment section is consumerist now.

Well, on Phil’s posts, anyway.

4. joescratch says:

With shit like this, I can’t believe I’m still fucking unemployed.

• kobresia says:

One word: Idiocracy

In order for the stupidity to reach such critical mass that people start watering crops with Brawndo, more and more resources have to be focused into informing people of (what should be) the obvious and how to be somewhat competent at life, so they don’t ever have to think about basic life skills. You are probably unemployed because you aren’t in a field devoted to assisting the incompetent.

5. aja175 says:

Give this stuff a shot. It works wonders for skin.

6. pinkbunnyslippers says:

Looks like Phil’s the only one working today… ;)

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I didn’t even realize today was a holiday until I tried going to the post office at lunch.

• microcars says:

There may be no one at the switch today (or any day for that matter).
      One can prep posts far in advance and have them cued up to post regularly throughout the day on their own whilst one takes a nap or goes on a pub crawl.

It involves the use of a computer and some software, fancy that!

• crazydavythe1st says:

It’s a lot easier to copy 80% of another blog and then link to the original than it is to write something original.

It’s also a lot easier to pick tips to write about when the person writing the tip does 99% of the work.

Formula:

Briefly introduce op
      Op’s complaint about company (if editor is required to write anything here, ignore submission)
      The infamous Phil zinger question

• cruster says:

Jesus, if this is working, I need a new job.

7. crispyduck13 says:

That Richard Cordray must be doing a bang-up job if skin exfoliation is a post topic on consumerist.

8. ahecht says:

When did this site go from consumer issues to “dubious life tips from random blogs”? Alternate products and home remedies are not consumer issues, even if they might involve saving money!

There really needs to be a way to philter out all these non-consumer stories from clogging up my RSS reader.

9. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Ok, now it’s just funny. Shall we have a pool (I won’t say lottery, those are bad.) to guess what topic will be covered next? I’m hoping it’s how to buy toys as an adult without looking skeezy/creepy.

After playing with my neice with a playdoh machine the other day, I realized that as a kid I never had one, and now I want one. I have no actual use for it, but it is really fun : /

• CrankyOwl says:

My vote on what’s next is on a story about how to remove unsightly nose hairs with a minimum amount of pain.

• crispyduck13 says:

“I’m hoping it’s how to buy toys as an adult without looking skeezy/creepy.”
      It’s called Amazon.

I want a Lite-Brite, mostly so I can outline naughty body parts and leave it on the table to greet my husband when he walks in from work.

I’m willing to wager the next post will have something to do with X-Box or Playstation accounts, gamer topics, etc. There seems to be at least one of those daily.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I feel the same way about one of those Snoopy sno-cone machines. Always wanted one, never had one.

• caradrake says:

I want one too. :( Never had one, always wanted one, mom always said no. Sister got an easy bake oven that same year, but mom was worried about me hurting myself…

I still wish I had gotten a Snoopy snowcone maker!

I think I’ll get the kids one. If I use it – well, someone has to teach them how to make snowcones, right?

• Coffee says:

The next post will be about how to clean the back of your knees before you plan on running a marathon.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Just ask for a gift receipt, and let people assume it’s your niephling’s birthday.

10. BorkBorkBork says:

I use Cutemol for my dry elbows and feet. It’s about $25 a small tub, but it goes a long way and works wonders.

11. yurei avalon says:

I barely go outside and my skin ends up all painfully dried out and scaly every winter under my clothes. Best thing I’ve found is to try and be religious about staying hydrated with lots of water and remembering to apply some lotion to my skin a couple times a day. Stuff with aloe and vitamin E tends to work better.

12. eezy-peezy says:

I had dry scaly elbows and got rid of them by sitting with my elbows set in two reamed out halves of a lemon. Haven’t figured out what to do about my knees however.

13. chemmy says:

Nothing a little sandpaper can’t handle.

14. PhiTauBill says:

9 straight consumerist entries (and counting) from Phil that I care nothing about… someone shoot me in the head now, please…

• Jules Noctambule says:

I’m so sorry you’re forced to click, read and comment on all these stories you care nothing about. It must be terrible. :(

• PhiTauBill says:

It is terrible indeed. I used to have something interesting to read during my lunch hour, and now (GASP), I am forced to interact with people, and they can be REALLY annoying (which is hard to deal with for someone as AWESOME as I am)….

I wonder if Ben has a non-compete clause. The state of Consumerist at this point seems to be little more than an extension of Consumer Union’s very scintillating “How to Clean Practically Anything” book given as a free add-on with CR subscription.

The time is now for some competition… Not sure how longer I can put up with these pointless, regurgitated how-to drivel that is somehow supposed to count as newsworthy….

• PhiTauBill says:

aargh… replace “these pointless” with “this pointless”… perhaps I am not as AWESOME as I suspected…

15. Haplo9000 says:

I like this, it’s Health Day at the Consumerist! “Next on Consumerist, wipe those unsightly zits away!”

16. Cat says:

Urea Cream

Source: My dermatologist.

17. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I use a #10 bastard file.

18. baristabrawl says:

Is this happening?

• Coffee says:

It happened. Consumerist went to a place where the stars do not shine.

• jenesaisrien says:

yes not only that but I’ve been forced to read the entire wikipedia entries on urea and urine therapy (not to mention other relAted articles)now

19. Power Imbalance says:

“chickpea flour and yogurt”

20. kobresia says:

Corona ointment and hoof/horn moisturizer lotions work substantially better on dry skin (go figure!) than most consumer products designed for human use. They’re better than any home remedy I’ve tried over the years, too.

For that matter, Corona is good for cuts & scrapes, and apparently diaper rash as well, if you don’t give a crap about the “veterinary use only” admonition.

21. milty45654 says:

Consumerist tip, or beauty tip…you decide.

22. SporadicBlah says:

Dandruff shampoos work well to keep your elbows and knees from looking dry. I use a little T-Gel on my elbows and knees when in the shower. Rub it on and dont rinse till right before you get out. Got the idea from a website about psoriasis. Been doing this for almost 3 years now. Once a week keeps your elbows looking nice and your arm hair shiny and flake free. :D

23. rooben says:

are we even trying on this blog anymore?

light news day? this is more of a lifehacker piece, if anything besides beauty blogs.

24. tooluser says:

If I put my ear to my elbow, it sounds just like the ocean.

25. DVDxR says:

Best thing I’ve ever found for dry skin is Vicks Vapor rub. They use a higher grade petroleum jelly than regular Vaseline and the Camphor/Eucalyptol/Menthol soothes itching. Great for dry shins, elbows, and cracked heals.

26. Anna Kossua says:

Moisturize the area with a soap? No! Did you mean lotion or cream? Because that makes absolutely no sense… I don’t know of any soap that is not drying.

There are some good exfoliation tools out, loofahs, scrubby bath cloth or gloves, things like that. They tend to work better than scrub gels or creams, and they don’t run out. Use a moisturizing cream on a scrubby cloth in place of drying soap. I sometimes will use olive oil if my skin is too dry.