A Trick To Tell You When And How To Flip Your Mattress

You’re supposed to flip and rotate your mattress periodically to keep it from getting lopsided, but it’s easy to forget about the chore. It helps to find a method that helps you keep track of when you last flipped it and which way you’re supposed to plop it next.

Household Management 101 offers a simple way of making sure your rotations stay regular and accurate. You take two index cards and write “January” and “October” at the tops of both. Then rotate the cards 180 degrees and write “April” on the opposite end of the January card and “July” on the other end of the October card.

Pin one card to the head of the bed and the other to the foot. Flip and rotate your mattress to make sure the card on the foot of your bed matches the most recent month, reading right-side-up, and you’ll always be on the proper rotation schedule.

Turning Mattress Tips – How To Guide And Keeping Track Of When To Flip It [Household Management 101]

Comments

1. humphrmi says:

Please just kill me now.

2. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Well, no one guessed this one.

I never would have guessed this one, either.

We all lose.

• Jack T Ripper says:

I know I never would. I just flip mine when the clocks change. That was an easy one to remember every 6 months. Now I still do it every 6 months, but I found a new calendar event to synchronize to. I would hardly call it consumer news though…

3. Jane_Gage says:

A Philiose tip, we all lost the lottery. : (

4. Cat says:

So, how are you guys?

Here’s A list of random shit I found on the internets today.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’m bored. I work at a small CU and everyone seems to assume that we are closed.

Consumerist isn’t helping that much, either.

• CrankyOwl says:

Well that’s weird…my CU is closed today. Why are you guys open?

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

We only close when our sponsor company closes and they’re open today. We are for their employees & families only, so it makes sense to follow their calendar.

• Coffee says:

Oooh…is this Monday Open Thread?

• Straspey says:

Great !

I’m going to try this one…

“How To Take SCUBA Stingray Tours In The Cayman Islands”

If you get a chance to visit the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean you should consider taking a snorkeling or scuba tour that visits an area just offshore of Grand Cayman that has been dubbed “Stingray City”.

This area is a long sandbar on the backside of a sheltering reef where for years fishermen would clean their daily catch. Southern stingrays would come to eat the fish waste and over the years they became accustomed to humans and began to arrive in groups when they detected the sound of approaching boats.

Stingrays don’t have teeth but can leave a nasty hickey if not fed properly. The suction power of a stingray’s mouth is similar to that of a shop vacuum. “

• Sian says:

Glowing testimonials too. I heard Steve Irwin swam there once, and it really touched his heart.

*low hanging fruit*

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I thought for sure you would have said to flip the mattress after 1 dead hooker, and replace it after two.

• uber_mensch says:

Did you know that everyone born before 1750 is dead!?

5. mauispiderweb says:

Don’t bother posting the next one about how to tell if you need to find a new consumer advice blog. That’s already been made perfectly clear.

• Coffee says:

Shit just got real.

• Cat says:

I make my own consumer advice blog at home.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Oh it’s on like Donkey Kong.

No really. Phil is gonna start hurling barrels down a series of girders. Best get your jumping trousers ready.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Credit Union. Need I say it again?

• webweazel says:

Seriously! WTF happened here? Nobody has had any problems with any big businesses for what, the last week? Just Heloise’s Helpful Household Hints?

Why don’t we put our money where our mouth is-
      Turn off RSS feeds;
      Do not even visit Consumerist for an entire week- 0 pageviews on every article
      Do not leave any comments.

See if we get anyone’s attention. Anybody in?

• crispyduck13 says:

I mean this really is the only solution. Getting people on the bandwagon might be tough.

• AK47 - Now with longer screen name! says:

I’m in. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s bored by Consumerist becoming “Phil’s Ripped Off Lists Blog.”

I’m putting my drop in the bucket. I’ll check in next week to see if it made any difference.

6. Guppy06 says:

I don’t like the idea of having pins in my bed with me. I don’t need to wake up in the middle of the night in need of a tetanus shot.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

It wouldn’t work on my pillow-top mattress, either.

• caradrake says:

I’ve got a pillowtop too. Every few months I just rotate the entire bed. We don’t have a headboard/footboard so it works. Coasters on a hardwood/fakewood floor make it even easier.

• Charmander says:

I may be the only one, but I’m glad this was posted today.

For starters, I can never remember to flip my mattress – so this is a good tip, although I think I’d rather just write on the mattress ends with a sharpie rather than pin something to each end.

It’ not just flipping the mattress, but also remembering to rotate it when you do, so that each side and end gets the same amount of wear.

You know, not every article on Consumerist is going to be of interest to everyone. Just move along and find one that does interest you. No need to post stupid, irrelevant comments.

7. 85% Real 15% Filler says:

Wash your hands, flip your mattress, brush your teeth, fix the chair and smooth out those scaly elbows!

Yes, Mommie Dearest.

8. crispyduck13 says:

LOL!
    Seriously kids, where are we going? I mean, we can’t stay here and amuse ourselves solely on the hilarious nature of our comments, we need a better venue.

• Coffee says:

I’ve got one but you stopped responding to my stalkerish e-mails.

• crispyduck13 says:

I honestly did look into it, but when Google refused to let me hook up the account without using my full real name I balked. I just can’t be the shrewd, sarcastic, pain in the ass you love so much if my full name is out there for all to see. I even use a codename on Facebook.

9. captadam says:

Mattresses? You corporate tool. I sleep on bales of straw!

10. baristabrawl says:

Okay, but you can only turn new mattresses. There’s no flipping. They’re one-sided. Have been for a while.

11. Bagels says:

i’d avoid buying a used mattress. that is all.

12. bitslammer says:

Shark jumped.

That is all.

13. misterfweem says:

Hey now, Norman Bates could have used this advice . . .

14. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

If flipping the mattress is too much work or you’re tired of reinstalling the light fixture above the bed every six months, you can just sleep with your head at the foot of the bed for three months, then sleep between the mattress and box springs for three months, etc.

15. Dallas_shopper says:

I saw similar advice in an issue of Martha Stewart Living. SUE SUE SUE, MARTHA!

16. rookie says:

i sleep onna waterbed…
    what should i do, phil???

NO PINS…

17. chemmy says:

*how to tell when it’s time to turn/flip your mattress*
    it’s not your turn to sleep in the wet spot.

18. Not Given says:

I’m not turning my pillow top mattress. I do swing it around 180¬∞ periodically.

19. jasvll says:

“You take two index cards and write “January” and “October” at the tops of both.”

Ok, done.

“Then rotate the cards 180 degrees and write “April” on the opposite end of the January card and “July” on the other end of the October card.”

Wait, what? I wrote January and October on both cards…like you told me! You mean I was only supposed to write one month on the top of each card? Now I have to start all over!

Ha ha, just kidding. No one would ever actually try this tip or want to see this type of post at Consumerist, so it’s okay that you got the instructions wrong.

20. KenZ33 says:

He’s clearly a shill for the Index Card and Pin industries since you could just as easily set up repeating appointments in any electronic or internet calendar.

• Cat says:

Clearly, you’re a shill for the electronic and internet calendar industry.

• DrRonster says:

Can finally use 2 of the index cards from the 500 that I havent used in 5 years when at the time I thought it was a good price to pay. Except I zonk out in a recliner watching TV or a Theater seat if Im draged to a movie. That Safe House was one I had to try to stay awake to. Shoulda conked out.

21. TheBigWhiteWolf says:

Save the index cards for your next speech. Just write on the mattress with a laundry marker.

• Professor59 says:

Just wanted to see if anyone reached the same conclusion before I posted. Why are we messing with cards and pins?

22. milty45654 says:

Really? We’re really grasping at straws for content now, eh? Bring back Ben Popken please, thx……www.benpopkenwrites.com

23. moonunitrappa says:

This assumes the person change their sheets with regularity, insuring that they see this overblown attempt avoid writing on a calendar.

24. marc6065 says:

There is one big flaw in this plan. If you never wash your sheets you will never see the card and know when to turn you sheet. I just buy new sheets every six months or so to save on the water and laundry detergent bills.

25. Cat says:

Now you’ve done it.

Phil has taken his ball and gone home.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

So tomorrow we will get tips on how to fill said ball with air? “Take a pump, add a needle, insert, and inflate. Oh, did I forget to include the point that it isn’t a sewing needle?”

26. SporadicBlah says:

Today CONSUMERIST has taught me how to be a racist, care for my heart, buy cheap glasses, wash my hands, play the lottery, buy a toothbrush, fix a chair, smooth my elbows, and flip my mattress. That covers my house, my health, my finances, and my attitude. Thanks for caring so much about my overall wellbeing Consumerist!

• DemosCat says:

I expect to find Phil waiting at the Pearly Gates with more handy tips for getting by in Heaven.

Of course, that just MIGHT be someone’s version of Hell….

27. eezy-peezy says:

Is this the Consumerist or Hints from Heloise?

• Charmander says:

Most people buy mattresses, do they not? And as consumers, we would want them to last, would we not?

Question answered.

28. BazinFS says:

This Consumerist lineup feels like an early April Fools Day.. Hold on, have to go flip my pillowtop mattress, wash my hands correctly, then inspect my toothbrush..

29. jp7570-1 says:

Wow, really?!? We must all exercise some degree of constraint to personal anal-retentiveness,

30. DrRonster says:

Household Management 101. Can’t tke course. Only allowed 900 level and above. Just checked with U-M. Been trying to take Underwater Basketweaving.

31. PeanutButter says:

Woah, did I accidentally go to Lifehacker? I could have sworn I clicked on Consumerist….

32. DrRonster says:

What kind of pins? Safety? Bowling? Gotta be more specific.

• DemosCat says:

Push pin? Hair pin? Lapel pin?

As has already been pointed out, most new mattresses are not designed to be turned over. But hey, I have a handy tip too: Just sleep UNDER your mattress for 6 months of the year. Problem solved!

33. Rick Sphinx says:

We spent $2000 on a Kingsdown mattress. Not supposed to need to be flipped, but can be. We flipped regularly to be safe. Less than 3 years later, we had troughs anyway. Never buy a Kingsdown again. I think I will save up and try a Temperpedic or similar type. Or something close to the Hampton Inn beds, so, so, comfortable.

34. Shorebreak says:

Let me devote my entire day to this.

35. 2 Replies says:

If it’s pillow-top. Don’t.

36. Shine-runner says:

I have a waterbed, Is it ok to pin notes onto it so I know when to flip… LOL..

37. topgun says:

Oh. I thought the story was about buying old mattresses, fixing them up and reselling them.

38. gedster314 says:

I just do it when I change the sheets. I rotate one time and flip the next. Thankfully I have a queen size and not a California King.

39. miss_j_bean says:

Why would I want to flip a pillowtop mattress? Do they still make mattresses that need to be flipped?

40. MECmouse says:

You can’t actually FLIP a new mattress anymore! You can only rotate it from head to foot. duh