Consumerist Friday Flickr Finds

Here are twelve of the best photos that readers added to The Consumerist Flickr Pool this week, picked for usability in a Consumerist post or just plain neatness.

drive thru
(#2 – frankieleon)

Stewpendust #120
(#3 – Chris Rief aka Spodie Odie)

Ghost Town of Hearts in Ruins:  I Feel You In My Heart And I Don't Even Know You ( X You Are Here)
(#4 – Cheri Sundra: Guerilla Historian)

Flatbed
(#5 – Scoboco)

The Alien Trees of Compton
(#6 – Bill Binns)

Phone
(#7 – JoelZimmer)

smell that fish(#8 – frankieleon)

Sears Portrait
(#9 – snailbooty)

Photo
(#10 – ktorster)

DO NOT DISCUSS
(#11 – kenfagerdotcom)

(#12 – Chris Rief aka Spodie Odie)

Our Flickr Pool is the place where Consumerist readers upload photos for possible use in future Consumerist posts. Just be a registered Flickr user, go here, and click “Join Group?” up on the top right, and start hitting “send to group” on your individual photos you want to add to the pool.

Add your shots to The Consumerist Flickr Pool, and perhaps they’ll be featured in a future story, or even highlighted in a Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool Finds post. See previous winners of the Friday Consumerist Flickr Pool finds here.

Comments

1. Robofish says:

I’m not sure what to think of #9. It has me confused.

#4 is fantastic though

2. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

OMG, what is that? A flower? A uterus? An ANUS?! A space monster gobbling up my starship?

HOW DID THAT PHOTOGRAPHER SURVIVE!!!

3. scoosdad says:

Don’t park under that “palm tree” in #6. Something might go through your windshield.

4. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

#11 – there’s a government telephone if I ever saw one! There’s even a form# on the sticker that warns the user not to discuss classified information. LOL.

• MovingTarget says:

I remember those. I still have some “Third Man is Listening” wall posters that used to be hung next to the phones.

5. MaytagRepairman says:

#6 reminds me of the movie “Battle: Los Angeles”.

#10 reminds me that after watching several YouTube videos last night I plan to flush my water heater for the first time on Saturday.

• Costner says:

If you have never flushed it before AND if it has been in place for 5+ years… just be sure to do it during business hours of your local home center.

Often an old water heater contains a great deal of calcium and scale buildup near the bottom and this buildup has actually created a barrier between the lining and water. Sometimes when they are flushed you will actually remove enough of this material (along with some of the lining) and soon enough the water will start to eat away at the tank itself leading to a leak.

Another tip is after you drain the tank, leave the valve open and then turn the water inlet valve back on and off again several times. This sudden spray of high volume water will sometimes help rinse scale buildup out.

Finally, once your tank is drained it is a good idea to pull out the sacraficial anode rode and see how it is holding up. If it looks good… reinstall. If it is almost gone or looks like it has very little life left… time to replace. Just be sure when you fill up the tank again that you continue to check it during the first few heating cycles…. if a leak is going to start, it will be during a heating cycle as the pressure increases.

• MaytagRepairman says:

IIRC, the water heater is 3 years old so I am hoping for a smooth operation. Curiosity really wants me to check the anode but I think I am going to skip it. I’m afraid I will pull it out, discover it is crap, and then be in a bind because I don’t have a replacement on hand and the old one won’t want to go back in.

6. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I love old phones, but I love them more if they still look new (as in, still shiny, with all their buttons.)

7. Rocket says:

Does “Drive-Thru” bother anyone else? The word is “through”, it’s just 3 more characters.