That Free Pizza Will Be $1.49 Plus Tax, Tip, And Delivery, Please

There is no such thing as a free pizza. Alisha knows this, and she’s bright enough to know that the courtesy coupon for a “free” pizza from Papa John’s would not, in fact, result in a pizza showing up on her doorstep without any money changing hands. She just didn’t expect to be charged $1.49 for the free item. “Silly Alisha, that’s the delivery fee!” you might say. No. It’s not. She had to pay sales tax and the delivery fee as well.

Oh, and that $2.50 delivery fee isn’t for the driver, so you need a tip, too.

Last month, I placed a delivery order from my local Papa John’s which took over an hour to arrive. About a week later I received a coupon in the mail for a FREE cheese pizza.

papa.jpg

I went to the website to redeem the coupon and found that a free cheese pizza is actually $1.49! I did NOT add anything to the pizza or change the size. I include a screen clipping of the charges below.

order.jpg

The coupon does say that deliver fee may apply and customer responsible for all taxes. However, there is nothing to indicate that a free pizza will actually cost $1.49! Oh, and the final cost of that free pizza? $4.29.

The small print: Offer good for a limited time at participating Papa John’s restaurants. Limited delivery area. Delivery fee may apply. One time use only. Customer responsible for all applicable taxes. ¬©2012 Papa John’s International, Inc. FREELC

Well, that is more than zero, but it’s less than a regular price pizza. It’s just confusing that the cost of a free pizza is $1.49.

Comments

1. rpm773 says:

Your last order did not meet our timely service standards.

Give us another chance to screw you over.

2. Rebecca K-S says:

I was expecting to read this and be like, “Come on, of course you have to pay tax and the delivery fee, what are you bitching about?” But uh, yeah, that’s clearly not a free pizza.

• fenra says:

Yep, my train of thought went the exact same way. We got the free Superbowl pizza, and it was actually $0.

• ZachPA says:

Of course it’s horseshit. I run a pizza shop, and when I offer someone a free pizza for delivery, I mean really truly free. There are a couple ways to get a free pizza, but the most often redeemed is the free one for folks who just moved into the area.

Our delivery charge is usually $1.75, but it is waived for that order, even if the customer doesn’t order anything other than their free pizza. There is no sales tax because you cannot collect sales tax on something for which you don’t collect any money. And I make it a point to tell the customer when they order their free pizza that the tip is on us, too, but if they’d like to add some of their own, they are surely free to do so.

Shame on Papa John’s for putting the customer through this.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

I bet that waived $1.75 fee buys you considerably more than $1.75 worth of brand loyalty.

Nice marketing campaign.

• somedaysomehow says:

Um, I would check your state tax laws or call your state’s tax agency to verify you’re doing the right thing. I definitely have to still pay tax on things I buy even if it’s free after a coupon.

• RandomHookup says:

There are a whole lot of states out there and they all have different rules on how to handle sales tax on “free after coupon/promotion” items. In Mass., you pay tax AFTER all coupons are applied.

• dush says:

A coupon is probably different than simply gifting someone a pizza with absolutely no extra charges.

• ianzu says:

Tax is percentage based. I imagine 5% of zero is zero.

• JennQPublic says:

Not in California. Here you must pay the sales tax on the full retail price. So if you buy a cell phone that is $500, but only have to pay $100 because you are re-upping your contract, you still have to pay tax on the full $500.

It sucks.

• Bsamm09 says:

You have a self-redeeming coupon so there is no sales tax. since this is a chain and IF they are given money by Papa John’s to make up for the difference in price, they have to charge sales tax on the total amount of the proceeds, even if the customer didn’t give them the full amount.

At least in South Carolina.

• Bsamm09 says:

Also, when you say “The tip is on us”, do you give the driver a tip out of the till?

• ZachPA says:

Yes, I give the driver a $3 tip out of the till. The regular cost for a 16″ 2-topping pizza for delivery is 11.74. I base the tip on 25% of the cost of the pizza. The drivers do contribute to the cause, also. Normally, they receive a percentage of all volume in commission, in addition to tips, but a percentage of zero is zero, so I just call that their contribution to trying to drum up new business for the company–and for themselves.

It’s a great promotion. I’ve always been of the mind that if I go the extra mile and really wow a customer when we screw up or in trying to gain a new one, it will show in the bottom line. My average customer orders 15 times a year, and spends $19 each time. If each customer spends seven years in my area, each one is worth $2000 to me. What’s a few dollars here and there in order to keep a customer worth $2000 over the next several years? Also, in cases of comping a customer food, I will give away food worth $25 or $50, but my cost is much lower, typically only $7.50 or $15.

• Not Given says:

If I have a coupon for a free bottle of Coke I have to pay sales tax on it because the tax is figured and the purchase is totaled before the coupon is deducted. When I have a store coupon, 30% off one item or whatever, they deduct the 30% before the tax is figured.

• Sunrisecarole says:

I think I’d like doing business at YOUR pizza shop! Nice welcome to the neighborhood..and a good idea. I usually find that a place like yours knows once I try it, I’ll come back!!

• Jawaka says:

So she went to their website to take advantage of the deal, saw that she was being charged $1.49 for something that was supposed to be be free… and still placed the order.

Right to complain rejected.

3. MutantMonkey says:

And I am guessing that the OP didn’t think to ask Papa Johns what the deal was and is leaving it to us to figure it out?

• PunditGuy says:

Super-duper confused by what you’re trying to get at.

• MutantMonkey says:

The OP should have called Papa Johns and asked why there was a $1.49 charge on a free item.

• Marlin says:

He’s trying to fill in his “Blame the OP” on his consumerist Bingo card.

• Dyscord says:

In this case it’s pretty valid. The sensible thing to do in this case would be to call up Papa John’s and ask what the hell is going on before complaining on an online blog. Chances are they would have made it right. And if they didn’t, THEN it would appropiate to submit it.

• psm321 says:

Yeah, it’s obviously a website bug or a coupon not coded correctly, not Papa John’s trying to rip off the customer.

4. agent 47 says:

I’ve gotten free pizzas from there before…I wasn’t charged anything at all…odd.

5. Retired Again says:

Pizza – Movies – Auto Dealerships, etc. Seems new standard of Honesty in Advertising has slipped to the point that a small Con is okay to pull on customers. Get the $$ today – Forget the effect tomorrow!
    Also, PaPa Johns just dropped Coca-Cola to go to Pepsi. Good Luck – I learned the hard way when we did this — Discovered Pepsi drinkers will drink Coke — But Coke Drinkers will NOT drink Pepsi. Cost us a lot of business and stuck by contract.

• swearint says:

“Discovered Pepsi drinkers will drink Coke — But Coke Drinkers will NOT drink Pepsi. “
      Interesting. I am one of those Coke drinkers, I just assumed Pepsi drinkers behaved the same.

• You Can Call Me Al(isa) says:

I’m a Pepsi drinker. I will not drink Coke.

• AstroPig7 says:

I won’t drink Pepsi because I find it too sweet, but I will drink Dr. Pepper, which is possibly sweeter. I confuse myself.

• webweazel says:

Weird. I’ve never heard of this before.
          I’m not really picky either way, and neither is anyone I have ever known. I DO find that if it’s coming from a soda fountain, I like Coke better. If I’m buying a plastic bottle, I like Pepsi better. In a can, I’ll take either.
          What is even weirder, is that neither me nor the spouse can drink diet sodas of any kind, and never could. They all taste like sweet, moldy, rubbery dust. When Pepsi One (I think) came out a few years ago, there was a sample offering at a grocery store. We tried some, immediately got a raunchy look on our faces, spat it out quickly into the trashcan, and gagged. The girl running the sample thing looked at us with big eyes. We could NOT get that raunchy taste out of our mouths for several hours. Even buying lots of gum didn’t help. If a waitress screws up and gives us diet soda, most likely she’ll be mopping it up off the floor.
          Anybody else like this?

• PunditGuy says:

But my colored sugar water is superior to your colored sugar water!

• conquestofbread says:

I will buy either brand, although I think I prefer Pepsi.

I used to be a Diet Coke addict, but cut out the diet soda a few years ago. Back then, I didn’t like the taste of Diet Pepsi.

But now that I drink regular, I think diet is disgusting, and think the flavor difference between regular coke and pepsi is minimal.

• tomok97 says:

But Papa Johns is delivery only (or at least that’s all I’ve ever seen). So if you like Coke that much just drink the stuff that’s in your fridge. I never buy the overpriced pizza places 2-liter bottles anyway unless it just happens to come as part of a promotion. I don’t think the Coke/Pepsi thing would hurt them near as much as it might a sit-down place like Pizza Hut or McDonalds.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

Ever heard of pick-up? Besides if a mistake was made, as this coupon is implying, the pizza should be no charge, even the delivery fee should be waived. And no talk about how the manager’s hands are tied by policy, that’s BS. If you don’t think the manager can’t waive the damn fee, it’s obvious you have never been a pizza chain store manager.

6. AustinTXProgrammer says:

I would try to phone in that order. It might be a web site programming error. It’s also a lot easier to try to change the mind of a human that free should be free before delivery fee and tip.

I know it varies by state, but in Texas the sales tax is always calculated on the amount after coupons are applied, so there isn’t tax due on free items.

• rugman11 says:

$1.49 might be the minimum price for an item on their website and so that was what came up. I would chalk this up to a website error and call the order in. But then again, I’m not the type of person to complain first and clarify later.

• bomber991 says:

That’s interesting, cause I had a coupon for one of those free Rotisserie Roasted Chickens from HEB once, and when I went to redeem it I had to pay the 66 cents worth of sales tax.

7. Extended-Warranty says:

I came in here attempting to contest delivery fees, toppings, size, etc. Perhaps it is just an error?

8. minjche says:

I’d say if the website is giving problems, it might help to call the Papa Johns you’re ordering from and just explain the situation to a person there. It’s a bit more work and may take some time to explain but I’d expect you wouldn’t end up with the $1.49 charge at least.

Personally I’d do this deal take-out to avoid the delivery fee and tipping the driver, too.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

I had that issue last time I tired to cash in Papa Points online. It was the minimum order you could make on the website. So, I called it in and went to pick it up. Totally free. No sales tax, no $1.49 charge.

9. Cat says:

Maybe if she got off her ass and drove to the store, she would have gotten a free pizza.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Still doesn’t explain why there is a mystery $1.49 charge.

• scoutermac says:

Or Sales Tax.

• homehome says:

if it says it in the fine print, then how is it a mystery? Let’s be honest, she just didn’t read.

• Cat says:

Nothing about $1.49 there…

• Cat says:

If she picked it up, she would have been able to contest the cost, if there were any.

You can’t argue with a web page.

10. chiieddy says:

I have a question. Did the OP give Papa Johns a call and ask about the charge prior to going to Consumerist? If so, what did the chain say?

• ovalseven says:

I don’t mean to be a smart ass, but the $1.49 charge is for a pizza. The only question is why they’re charging it, but I don’t see how it matters. The whole point is that the pizza isn’t free.

• chiieddy says:

Ring Ring -

Papa John’s how may I help you

Hi, I received a coupon for a free pizza in the mail and when I enter it online, it charges $1.49. Could you help me?

Right Answer: Certainly, let me put that order in for you manually. There is obviously a mistake.

Wrong Answer: Well, that sucks bantha balls. *Click*

===

There’s a lot that can be clarified with a simple 5 minute phone call, you know.

• Tubal says:

That would be stupid. How is this lady supposed to be a Consumerist hero if she actually tried to take care of her problem.

My guess is that somehow an addition topping got added to her pizza.

11. scoutermac says:

I like Papa Johns pizza. But it always seems there is a catch on the price with them. Of course Pizza Hut is not any better. They have their any pizza any topping for $10 (except stuff crust & meat lovers). Well gee then it’s not any pizza any topping.

12. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

You can always go pick it up, then it’s free (except sales tax?)

• scoutermac says:

I don’t like that Papa Johns charges a delivery fee then expect you to tip the driver on top of that.

• dpeters11 says:

Who has free delivery these days? Every place around here, it’s a delivery fee plus tip.

• Eyeheartpie says:

Which is fine, except none of the delivery fee actually goes to the driver for maintenance of his car, like it’s supposed to. It’s just a surcharge for having them put a pizza into one of those warming bags or something. People expect delivery charges, so they don’t argue. I specifically ask PJs delivery guys every time if they get any of the delivery charge, and they all said no, that all goes to the store to “cover costs”.

• Boehme417 says:

I started picking up my pizzas since PJ’s starting charging a delivery fee. Let’s see… $2.50 for it to take longer to get my pizza or a mile drive down the road and getting my pizza faster? Hmm…

• Dyscord says:

There wouldn’t be sales tax because it’s free. I recently did the free pizza thing they had for the Super Bowl. Only thing I paid was the delivery charge.

13. tmitch says:

Exactly. What was Papa John’s response when the OP CALLED THEM TO ASK WHAT THE CHARGE WAS FOR?

14. taaurrus says:

Whether that “free” pizza was actually “free” or whether it was “$1.49″ – I still would NOT be ordering it. The people who work there know you got the coupon by complaining and you think they aren’t going to do anything to your pizza before they deliver it to you? Yeah, I wouldn’t eat the pizza!

• scurvycapn says:

Your are incorrect. I received one of those coupons once as well when my pizza took about an hour to arrive (they estimated 30 minutes). I never called to complain or anything. They just send them out automatically when the delivery times are too long.

• shepd says:

I know when I’m dealing with someone who is specifically known to complain I stick to the standards. Certainly I wouldn’t sabotage anything and have them legitimately complain about me. But I know I wouldn’t do anything extra, either–that way when they habitually complain, the boss can tell them to go suck a lemon.

I’d expect a perfectly standard and rather boring pizza to be made when you use that coupon, probably light on the toppings, and that’s about it.

15. Robert Nagel says:

Is there a chance that the $1.49 is an additional fee that Papa John’s adds to all internet orders to cover their costs. If the pizza was priced to corporate for internet sale at $10.00 and corporate added $1.49 you would see $11.49 as the sale price. In this case the cost to corporate was $0.00, but the $1.49 remained.

• nbs2 says:

No, that isn’t the case. We had a coupon for a free pizza, and ended up ordering two of them (one free, one any pizza for $10 or 11). When I put in the order, I entered the free one first. The cart showed that I owed nothing (I was doing pickup). When I entered the second, the price went to that $10/11 plus tax. No extra surcharge.

16. ace says:

Have they considered the wages of the delivery man? If you want your free pizza, get your lazy fat butt to the store and get it yourself. Where does this entitlement come from?

• vnlindstrom says:

You didn’t actually read the story, did you.

• RiverStyX says:

No, he’s right..Entitlement is an attitude that far too many people share these days, especially the homeless and lower-class bottom-feeders who feel everybody owes them something without any work put forth.

Their obligation ends at the pizza itself – which means turning off the sitcoms or talk shows, getting off your ass and making an appearance to claim it. Adding on things like delivery and ordering from the webpage is going to result in at least one charge.

• dulcinea47 says:

Seriously? She’s “entitled” to a free pizza b/c she got a coupon that says she can have a FREE pizza. Not a $1.49 pizza. That’s where the entitlement comes from!

17. humphrmi says:

I hate to fall into the old “when I ran a pizza joint”, but…

When I ran a Domino’s, if we didn’t meet the customer’s reasonable expectations, we gave instant gratification (another pizza free that night, and free meant no money changed hands) or we put them on our “list” (which actually existed) and the next time they called, they got a free pizza, no money changed hands.

18. RiverStyX says:

Looks like a glitch on the ordering site – one that automatically charges for anything and doesn’t know what “free” means. Somebody said it before, but she should have probably gotten off her fat ass and went to go pick it up, then theoretically no charges should have accrued. If you order from the website and arrange for a delivery, then the old saying of “No such thing as a free lunch” that they taught us economics class is very appropriate.

• 99 1/2 Days says:

How would ordering the pizza for pick-up have magically knocked the 1.49 off of the charges, genius?
      And why the “fat” attack? Because she wanted to get delivery? So only fat people have pizza delivered? WTFDYTYA? Why would anyone want to write to Consumerist when they will be personally attacked for no reason by people like you?

19. Marlin says:

Seems $1.49 is the cost of a topping.
    Could be the pizza is free but $1.49 for cheese? Be a slimy way of doing it but never know some places today.

20. yabdor says:

Taxes are a percentage of the sale. If the sale price is $0.00 then the tax is $0.00. How is this not tax fraud?

• Marlin says:

Many states tax PRE-coupon price not post. I know; sounds crazy but its true.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Some states, like NJ, allow you to collect taxes on shipping and handling/delivery.

• Bsamm09 says:

Depends on where you live. South Carolina sees it this way:

1. Manufacturer‚Äôs Coupon: If a consumer purchases a product from a local retailer using a manufacturer’s coupon as described in the facts, and the price charged the consumer by the retailer is reduced by the value assigned the coupon by the manufacturer, then the total amount received by the retailer from the consumer and the manufacturer is includable in “gross proceeds of sales”, and therefore, subject to the sales tax. For example, if an item normally sells for $5.00 and the customer pays $4.00 and presents a manufacturer‚Äôs coupon valued at $1.00, then the sales tax is based on $5.00 (‚Äúgross proceeds of sale‚Äù) since the retailer receives $4.00 from the customer and $1.00 from the manufacturer. If the retailer receives any additional money from the manufacturer as a result of accepting and processing the manufacturer‚Äôs coupon (i.e. processing allowance), the additional money is also a part of ‚Äúgross proceeds of sale‚Äù and subject to the sales tax.

For example, if the retailer in the above example receives an 8 cent processing allowance from the manufacturer as well as $4.00 from the customer and $1.00 from the manufacturer for the coupon, then the sales tax is based on $5.08, the total amount received by the retailer as a result of the sale.

2. Self-Redeeming Coupon: If a consumer purchases a product from a local retailer using a retailer’s self-redeeming coupon as described in the facts, and the price charged the consumer by the retailer is reduced by the value assigned the coupon by the retailer, then the amount received by the retailer from the consumer is includable in “gross proceeds of sales,” and therefore, subject to the sales tax. The value of the retailer’s self-redeeming coupon is not includable in “gross proceeds of sales,” and therefore, not subject to the sales tax. For example, if an item normally sells for $5.00 and the customer pays $4.00 and presents the store‚Äôs self-redeeming‚Äôs coupon valued at $1.00, then the sales tax is based on $4.00 (‚Äúgross proceeds of sale‚Äù) since the retailer only receives the $4.00 from the customer.

• dks64 says:

I think California charges tax on free items too. When I get free dog food through Petco, I have to pay taxes on it. When I bought my iPhone through Verizon (signed a 2 year contract), I had to pay the sales tax on the full retail value (an extra $50 or so).

21. milrtime83 says:

Is the OP sure there wasn’t a topping added to the pizza? The same thing happens when you add a 2nd topping to the “free 1 topping pizza” from the Super Bowl coin toss thing.

22. hmburgers says:

I think the sales tax depends on how the “Free” pizza is being treated from a business point of view… your state demands sales tax even on “free” items because they want revenue, so you have to pay on the normal retail price… sort of a like an instant rebate, you have a $10 item, but you’re getting a $10 rebate now, but you still owe sales tax on the $10.

Delivery fees… I get it, and I don’t have a problem with it… if you pick up the pizza you save $2.50… if you want them to deliver, you pay a small fee… doesn’t seem unreasonable at all.

Was it a “free delivered to your door” pizza? or a just a free pizza? last time I checked you can pick up pizza’s at the store…

23. mizgruntled says:

Agree that OP should expect to tip the delivery person. Also concur with other commenter about the way that businesses use kind of bait-and-switch deceptive pricing.

I have a Starbucks rewards card. I have now earned “free” syrup for my drinks. However, here’s the little semantic crap they pull: If I order a latte and ask to have cinnamon syrup added, I get the syrup free. But if I stupidly order that drink as the Cinnamon Dolce Latte, which comprises the same ingredients, I have to pay for the syrup. Now some outlets have actually deducted the price of the syrup if I ordered the “named” special drink; others haven’t. But it sure feels to me like I am being “tricked” and not treated as a “valued customer” when I get an email from Customer Service that yes, if you ASK for cinnamon syrup, it’s free, but if you ask for the exact same drink by name, it’s a different price.

• RedOryx says:

Hmmmm. Good to know as I am one transaction away from getting the free syrups.

That is pretty shady, though, and I was wondering how that would be handled with I order my skinny vanilla latte. I guess I should ask for a skinny latte with vanilla syrup.

• dks64 says:

There isn’t a button for the Cinnamon Dolce Frapp, so if you order it that way, they will ring it in as the Coffee Frapp + Cinnamon Dolce Syrup. I do think it’s weird the way it’s set up, they should do it one way or the other.

• rexfromars says:

Well, when Pizza Hut had their “ANY LARGE PIZZA FOR $10 – [tiny print] Specialty pizzas $2 more)” offer, you could pay $12 for the Hawaiian Pizza, or $10 for a pizza with ham, pineapple and bacon – the same three toppings as the $12 pizza. Most of their other “specialty pizzas” were the same way – $12 for the pizza by name, or $10 if you manually ordered a pizza with the same ingredients.

24. dicobalt says:

So if i go pick up the pizza myself that means there is no tip and no delivery so there is no tax and thus it is truly free.

25. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Free means free. If it wasn’t free then it wasn’t free.

26. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

OMG they want $9.00 for a medium cheese pizza in my area. No thanks. I’ll just make my own.

27. elangomatt says:

I bet that this is just a mistake for that coupon on the website. I have gotten free pizza before from PJ’s and it has been free. My first idea was that the OP added toppings to the pizza but I did RTFA and knew that wasn’t the case. There is still a human behind the scenes somewhere that programmed in that coupon code and they probably just made a mistake. A call to customer service probably would have fixed it

28. El_Fez says:

So I wonder what would have happened if you picked it up from the store?

29. Dallas_shopper says:

That’s why I never bothered to redeem the free coupons I got from Papa John’s for their sucky service. On the rare occasion that I order a pizza, it’s almost always from a mom and pop place that won’t deliver anyway, so I go to pick it up. I now use Papa John’s maybe 1-2x a year, and I go to pick it up on those occasions.

30. GoldVRod says:

A cursory google search reveals that $1.49 is a stock price for a topping from PJ. I obviously don’t know if the OP added an extra topping or not (it seems not) but that amount is too coincidental to me. If you cannot disable the topping then it’s clearly not free.

I’m am at a loss as to those here claiming it’s sales tax with all sorts of confidence and bravado. A medium cheese is 9.99. What state has 14.9% sales tax? (Hint: None)

• elangomatt says:

The closest I know of is Cook County in Illinois where last I heard the sales tax was around 10% or maybe 10.5%.

31. RandomHookup says:

My neighborhood pizza place offers coupons for “FREE PIZZA”, but then adds a delivery fee and doesn’t allow pick-up. It ends up worth it sometimes, but I’d rather just pick it up.

32. Dyscord says:

Papa John’s recently did a free pizza for the Super Bowl coin toss. The only thing I had to pay for was 1.85 for the delivery charge. Maybe this is a database error or something. Did the OP actually think to call and inquire about this?

33. Daddy-o says:

The pizza was and is 100% free. But if you want us to heat it up for you it’s gonna cost $1.49 …

34. skakh says:

I wish people would stop referring to the stuff sold by Papa Johns and Pizza Hut as pizza. I am not sure what Papa and Hut sell but is sure is not pizza!

35. chemmy says:

That’s why I picked mine up. For free. Except on the website, they said you could have ANY Pepsi flavor so I chose regular…. and when I got there, they made me take the Pepsi MAX…. which is still rolling around in my backseat until I eventually take it to the store to exchange it.

36. madsquabbles says:

1.49 is for the box, maybe?

37. CarlS says:

In all the discussion, I’ve not heard anything about the issue of false advertising. Isn’t following and complying with law required? Or doesn’t anyone, courts and businesses included, care any longer? I kinda sorta hope not, because then the possibilities are endless . . . .

38. muu says:

Reminds me of the Columbia CD deals I did a long time ago. Free, but $3 shipping per CD.

39. Sarek says:

Sounds like the ad a local HVAC company is running:
    “BOGO” !
    But it ain’t Buy One Get One Free. It’s buy a furnace and then pay hundreds of dollars for air conditioning.

40. final_atom says:

i used the super bowl code for the ‘free’ pizza. i had 2 toppings. i was charged $1.49 for 1 extra topping, $1.50 for delivery fee, and plus tax. my total was $3.58. i gave the driver $6.

not free but still cheaper than the specials. it also came with 2 liter soda too.

it was good.

41. LJKelley says:

As a Papa John’s reward customer I got a free pizza due to some superbowl promotion. They charged me $.05 for it plus tax and delivery. So it seems odd that she was charged $1.49. Mine was a free large one topping pizza.

Most of the time I make my own pizza from scratch, its much cheaper that way (averages me at about $3 a pizza) but every once in a while when I’m lazy I order from Papa (maybe once every two months).

42. DanKelley98 says:

Big business once again changing the meaning of words in the dictionary…

43. mcgyver210 says:

I don’t have pizzas delivered anymore since the extra charges for delivery etc make it cheaper to just pick up a good pizza anyway not to mention you are still expected to add the salary for the driver also to your final total.

Let’s face it real tips don’t exist anymore. Now days we are just expected to give money over no matter how we feel about the service provided by our new emoyee we temporarily hire without any say so. Delivery charge is counted by me as part of what the drive should get no matter how it is spun so if I choose dilivery the driver better do an extraordinary job if he or she expects what I consider to be a tip.

I no longer pay salaries just because someone takes a job from a employer that IMO is being dishonest due to the way they pay waiters. Bus boys, bar tenders etc. I do how ever still give an appropriate tip for services rendered.

44. extrudedcow says:

She’s lucky, the local delivery fee here is up to 3.50$. It’s to the point that I add 6-8$ to any deal they offer to cover tax, delivery, and tip. Needless to say, I don’t order pizza very often anymore.

45. pgr says:

Why would ANYONE ever consider buying, much less eating, a pizza from Papa John’s (or Domino’s for that matter)???

46. sendbillmoney says:

The tip calculation is simple. Twenty percent of free. :)

• dks64 says:

Wrong. That’s a huge pet peeve of mine as a waitress. If you use a coupon or get a discount, you tip on the original amount.

47. riguitargod says:

I’d like to see the full page, not just the totals.

It’s for a free cheese. The OP probably ordered an extra topping.

48. rkramden says:

I don’t even get why someone would buy a PJ pizza. Think, for 11.00, you can get a real pizza at a pizzeria. Goodness, Papa John’s is no better than Little Caesar’s, where you can get a pie for 5 bucks.

49. rkramden says:

Is there any good fast food pizza?

50. bukkler says:

I’ve always thought that there should be some kind of regulation to define “free” as it applies to things like this. In my mind, “free” should mean exactly that; the customer is free from any cost or effort to receive the product. That would mean no money, no effort, and no obligation of any kind, to include “free with purchase of…” and “free with purchases over $XXX”. Call me weird, but in my mind, if something is advertised as being free, it should involve the customer citing the ad or giving a coupon, and being given the thing with no questions asked and no money changing hands, and no other purchase of anything else required.

51. Owls Are Raptors! says:

Even at Pizza Hut we will own up to a mistake and either take the right pizza back, no additional cost, or waive the delivery fee and bring everything completely for free. I think the system still tries to add the delivery fee when there’s a credit on the account, but we explain everything up front.

52. Sunrisecarole says:

53. Claybird says:

Waiters and delivery guys need tips to live…ever see Reservoir Dogs?