Indianapolis Measles Outbreak Traced Back To Super Bowl Village

Bringing in travelers from afar, or even just other cities, has proved that anyone is vulnerable to diseases during large events. And what’s bigger than the Super Bowl? Unfortunately for this year’s host state, Indiana is in the midst of battling a major measles outbreak after the big game between the Giants and the Patriots.

The Associated Press says that even though Indiana has vaccination rates that exceed the national average, state health officials have confirmed 13 cases of measles in this month alone. Authorities say the spread of the infection leads back to the Super Bowl Village on Feb. 3 and two people who visited it together.

The outbreak seems to be confined to two counties so far, but officials are reaching out to New York and Massachusetts’ departments of health to warn them that their fans may have taken measles home with them.

This isn’t the first time a large sporting event, with their masses of people all coughing and spitting on each other, became a breeding ground for the spread of infection:

In 1991, a track and field runner from Argentina participating in the Special Olympics in Minneapolis unknowingly started an outbreak of measles, infecting spectators, athletes and event organizers.

While 13 cases of measles might not seem like a lot, there are usually only around 50 instances of the infection per year, as 90 percent of the population is vaccinated against it. Another abnormal year for it was 2011, when 223 cases popped up due to Americans traveling abroad.

Indiana measles outbreak illustrates disease risk [Associated Press]

Comments

1. LadyTL says:

Anyone still claiming that not vaccinating doesn’t affect anyone except themselves?

2. Don't Bother says:

I work in one of the school districts where the measles have been contained.

God help me.

3. Kuri says:

Can be what you get when some value the sport so highly >.>

• nicless says:

I’m not even sure what that means, but thanks for posting it. If it means what I think, I agree. That’s what you get for enjoying something tons of other people enjoy! HA!

• Misha says:

As someone who works in downtown Indy, I can tell you that a lot of the locals who visited Super Bowl Village weren’t there because they liked football; they were there to enjoy a party atmosphere and find out what exactly was tying up their streets and parking garages.

4. Cat says:

I would have expected an outbreak of the clap, herpes, or crabs if “Super Bowl Prostitute Myth” were to be believed.

5. AngryK9 says:

Dear Hoosiers,

Stay on your side of the Ohio River!

Kthx,
    Kentucky

=D

• castlecraver says:

Aw, what’s wrong? You don’t want us to beat you at home next season?

(you know your state sucks when people from Indiana add -tucky to things they think are redneck)

• rpm773 says:

Heh. In college , I knew a bunch of folks from Crawford-tuckey, Renssel-tuckey, Logan-tuckey

• Slader says:

You either are not from Indiana or are ignorant. As a person from Waba-tuckey (Wabash), I know that it is named that because a very large percentage of our population was either born in Kentucky, was born to someone from Kentucky or has relatives in Kentucky. As another matter of fact, there used to be a state mileage sign just outside of Paintsville on old US 23 that gave the mileage to our town in Indiana. Most of the movement from Kentucky happened during the 40’s and 50’s when young people in Kentucky realized that their options were basically limited to farming or working the coal mines and chose instead to move here and work in the many factories in the area.

6. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

As someone who is approaching age 50, anyone know how long our childhood measles vaccinations last? My mom was a nurse, so I was vaccinated for whatever I could have been at the time.

I have to say these stories make me nervous. I don’t want to find out the hard way I need a measles booster (or anything else for that matter).

7. rpm773 says:

Damn those filthy Giants fans

• nbs2 says:

Must have been. If we learned anything on that Sunday, it’s that the Pats (and by extension their fans) couldn’t pass or catch anything. Of course, they were all that great at defending themselves, either.

8. DrPizza says:

In a nice world, if a child suffered from one of these easily avoided diseases because the parents were stupid enough to believe some blonde bimbo, famous because of posing for Playboy (Jenny McCarthy) and not famous for being intelligent, those parents would be charged with neglect to send a message to others.

In a perfect world, Jenny McCarthy & others would be sued into poverty & imprisoned for contributing to the deaths of so many children who have died directly as a result of stupid parents listening to these celebrities, and not vaccinating their children against these easily prevented diseases.

9. philpm says:

I blame Jenny McCarthy.

10. APFPilot says:

This is all actually happening up in Hamilton County where I live. It makes me nervous about taking my 3 month old anywhere…

• The Twilight Clone says:

In theory your three-year-old still has measles protection from his/her mother. That’s why they don’t vaccinate for measles at that age.

In theory.

• scoutermac says:

Yeah.. I live in Marion County on 96th Street. I am concerned about going out myself at this point. I would be especially concerned about taking a 3 month old out.

11. sprybuzzard says:

A few years ago there was a measles outbreak of sorts at the Little League World Series. It fortunately remained confined to the small group which brought it in. I will be vaccinating my children.

12. nearprairie says:

Contagion. Run for the hills!

13. sadie kate says:

Ugh. I always swore I would never judge other parents for doing things differently than I do, but I judge the hell out of people who don’t vaccinate their kids. My baby is 4 months old, and I already had to turn down a playdate from an old friend because I know she isn’t vaccinating her 9-month old because she’s afraid he’ll get autism. My baby has received all her scheduled vaccines, but there are ones she hasn’t had because she’s not old enough, and my husband has lupus; no one’s coming into my house without a vaccine if I have to check your damn medical records.

14. Mrs. w/1 child says:

“The Associated Press says that even though Indiana has vaccination rates that exceed the national average…”

When are we going to admit that “herd immunity” is temporary at best? Newsflash for the inject your kids with whatever big pharma makes so they are profitable crowd – Measles is mild in childhood and rarely kills in the first world. All those super duper scary measles will kill you fear mongering death rates include other countries.

• Lt. Coke says:

So true. I mean, someone’ll only suffer horribly and needlessly, and still possibly die, but hey. You don’t want your kid stuck with a needle, consequences be damned. I can understand that.

15. lockdog says:

Individuals should have the freedom to choose not to receive a vaccination. Society has the right to demand that they not risk injury to others by imposing a mandatory permanent quarantine on the fools.

16. DarkStryder says:

I’m ok with letting people decide, but for those who are vehemently against letting kids go unvaccinated, understand that the choice is not so clear cut and both options are a gamble. Sure, per this article, 50 people get measles per year. I don’t know the stats of how many die from it, but I’m guessing it’s pretty small. Now compare that to the risks of the vaccine. In 2010, of people getting the MMR and MMRV, 5 died, 27 were disabled, and 1177 had to be taken to the ER due to side effects of the vaccine (all this information comes from the VAERS site, which works with the CDC and FDA). All I’m saying is that it’s all one big, scary gamble, no matter which way you go.