Kellogg Adopts Pringles For $2.7 Billion In Order To Expand Its Snack Family

In an attempt to make their company one big, happy, snacky family, Kellogg is shelling out $2.7 billion in straight-up cash to buy the Pringles line from Procter & Gamble. As long as they don’t try to take the chips out of the can or do anything else drastic, not much should change so far as the munching experience.

P&G sounds positive about letting Pringles go, and hey, anyone would be happy with a few billion extra lining the old bank account.

“Kellogg shares similar values and principles to us,” P&G Chairman and CEO Bob McDonald said a news release, via Forbes, “and we are confident that the Pringles business will thrive under Kellogg’s leadership.”

Kellogg has a modest toehold in the snack arena already, with Keebler, Cheez-it and Special K crackers. But there’s always room for more, thus the adoption of Pringles.

“Pringles has an extensive global footprint,” said Kellogg President and CEO John Bryant. This will allow Kellogg “to achieve our objective of becoming a truly global cereal and snacks company,” he said.

Like we said –¬†just keep those delicious chips in their can. We don’t need any crumbling messes on our hands.

Kellogg Grabs Pringles For $2.7B, Diamond Foods Loses [Forbes]

Comments

1. MrMagoo is usually sarcastic says:

Coming next fall from Kellogg: Pringles Cereal Crisps!

2. Cat says:

It’s true that Pringle’s chips are EVERYWHERE – I’m sure it has something to do with them being easier to ship undamaged than a bag o’ chips.

• cparkin says:

Or the fact that they’re not actually potato chips.

• Cat says:

That has nothing to do with anything. If you think Pringles are “chips”, you’re mistaken, yes.

What I’m pointing out here is the fact that they are nearly everyplace in the world where I’ve been, and it’s most likely because they are not as easily damaged in shipping as “real” chips.

Now, when you solve the problem of getting REAL potato chips into a can and shipping them worldwide, let me know. I’m ready to invest.

• mbz32190 says:

Isn’t there something called Lay’s Staxx? (never bought them, so not sure if any “realer” than Pringles)

• DariusC says:

They taste the same and their can is plastic instead of cardboard as well as their chips being thicker than pringles. In fact, their product is better than pringles in taste as well. One of the few products that I think would beat the original in taste, design and value.

• DariusC says:

When I said taste the same, I meant the lays taste very similar to their regular chips with less grease taste and more evenly salted (and less brittle chips). They certainly have a taste closer to potatoes than pringles, in my opinion.

• tooluser says:

Pringles are a direct result of alien technology acquired from the Roswell crash site. God bless you, little grey men!

3. cspschofield says:

Tennis-ball cans of large Special K flakes?

4. kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

Oh, great. Instead of the nutjobs at Diamond making decisions about the future of Pringles, it will be the flakes at Kellogg.

Pro tip: change nothing, unless you have little regard for your life. This is “not” a threat.

5. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I love pringles, I hope they don’t change!

6. topgun says:

I’m in favor of Sugar Frosted Pringles

• StarKillerX says:

Okay, now maybe it’s just me but that sounds AWESOME!

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

Errr, no. This coming from the guy who, back when he was a lad of 12 (in other words, about .. umm.. 1982) the Hostess potato chip company up here (since swallowed up by Frito-Lay, hopefully to stop Hostess from coming up with ideas like this) came up with potato chips with orange, cherry and grape flavours. I shit you not. I had one grape flavoured chip and vowed “never again!” I guess this sugar-coated potato concoction you propose would do just as well.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

EDIT button, please! I forgot the word “witnessed” (or, more appropriately, endured) between the ‘1982’) and “the Hostess potato…”

7. amputato says:

i hope they do change pringles. they used to be awesome 15 years ago. now they are puffed up with air, fragile, and flaky, and they suck. also the grocery shrink ray has a part in ruining pringles

• Cat says:

The plain chips used to be over 7 ounces per can.

• cybrczch says:

Yeah, I stopped buying Pringles a couple years ago when they started playing fast and loose with the can sizes – ending up with smaller cans and charging around 50% more than what they were the year before.

• SilentAgenger says:

That, and their “crisps” contain more fat than real potato chips. That said, I miss the Cajun flavored Pringles…I would eat a whole can of those in one sitting. Cajun Spice Ruffles too…oh, to long for the day when will America will again embrace all things Cajun, with the trend spilling into the snack industry once more (of course, the last time this occurred Yahoo Serious was also trending, so I’m not holding my breath).

8. technoluster says:

Bummer. My mom works for P&G and we used to get free Pringles all the time! Not any more, I guess…

9. Pigfish99 the randomly insane says:

As long as kellogg keeps them the way there are, and maybe introduces a few new flavors, I won’t mind about this.

10. Kestris says:

Meanwhile they keep downsizing their cereal production and downsizing their work force.

When I was a kid, the Kellogg’s factory behind my house ran 24/7. You couldn’t walk out the door and nopt know that they were making chocolate based cereal that day. The train tracks were full of boxcars.

Now, there’s barely any boxcars, the factory doesn’t run by 5 full days a week, closed down on Sundays and part of Saturdays. They even tore down part of it a few few years back. Closed the Cereal City theme park place, which they started up after they stopped doing factory tours in the late 80s.

Battle Creek, Mi is still known as Cereal City, USA, but what made it such is no longer there.

11. Patriot says:

Please bring back Pringles Ridges. The regular Pringles are too thin and flimsy. The Ridges are the man’s variety of Pringles. I used to love the Cheddar and Sour Cream Pringles Ridges. Sadly, I haven’t seen them in over 10 years.

12. tooluser says:

If they had high-fiber chips, people would snarf ‘em up like pizza.

Chocolate Chip, Old Bay Seasoning, Gyro flavor — there’s a million ways to go here.