Company Markets Beer Specifically For You To Waste Playing Beer Pong

Because it’s just so difficult for college students to go out and find super cheap beer to slosh into cups while chucking ping pong balls into said cups and then guzzling, one company has gone ahead and created Pong, the beer specifically made for playing Beer Pong. And it’s lite!

For those not in the know, the youngins (and others, no judgment!) like to play a game wherein cups are set up on a ping pong table, beer is added to said cups, and participants try to throw balls into their opponents’ cups. If they get one in, the opponent then chugs the beer and on we go again, drinking toward oblivion and a new beer goggles girlfriend/boyfriend for the night.

The Dallas Observer alerted us to Pong, which is available in eight states already, and is soon spreading to a few more soon. According to their site, a 30-pack comes with two free ping pong balls – and if you buy two 30-packs at a time you get a bunch of 16 oz. cups as well.

Will it catch on? Only time and frat parties can tell. As my stunningly astute and wise friend put it, when told about Pong, “Oh, look, they’ve repackaged Keystone Light.”

Pong Beer, the Beer Made Specifically for Beer Pong, is Coming to Texas [Dallas Observer]

Comments

1. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

Can’t be as gross as Baltimore’s National Bohemian Ice.

2. Cat says:

Wasting any kind of beer is something I’ve never seen college students do.

3. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Maybe it’s for kicking it old school when playing emulators of the first video game many people remember. And the ping pong balls are just a reference to what that game was emulating.

4. crispyduck13 says:

It’s about goddamn time!

5. skormos says:

I thought Schaefer had this one covered, because like their slogan says “Schaefer is the one beer to have when you’re having more than one.”

6. orion70 says:

Better not market it in the UK:

“pong

British slang. A bad smell.
    There was a bit of a pong in the room, so he opened the window to air it out. ” (via urban dictionary)

7. longfeltwant says:

Pong is properly played with paddles, as it is done at my alma mater, where Pong was invented (yes really).

Pong without paddles is properly called “Beiruit”. It’s an okay game, but on a scale of 1 – 10 where 10 is real pong with paddles, Beiruit is a 2, maybe a 2.5. It is a pathetic shadow of the real game, played in places where they can’t be bothered to find paddles.

• minjche says:

Never thought I’d see elitism and beer pong in the same place, but wow!

(Honestly I didn’t know anyone played it with paddles so that’s an interesting fact)

• bosozoku says:

Thank you! I have to tell these darn kids all the time they are not playing Beer Pong, they’re playing Beiruit. True Beer Pong FTW – more challenging and more devastating when you play with big glass mugs that can break.

• Browsing says:

wait….so there’s a reason why some people call it Beer Beirut…I thought it was a regional thing but they were actually using the right terminology….Thanks!

• Alan says:

You know you sound like one of those people who insist that Soccer should be called football… When 99% of the population (of a certain location) know it as a certain name… that is the name.

• longfeltwant says:

Yes, I do know that. Please excuse me for exercising my proclivity for pedantry.

My only defense is that I’m right. Screw the other 99%. :-)

• OccasionallyOpinionated says:

You crazy Dartmouth kids and your pong purism… They’re completely different games and Beirut is much better for college parties because a game doesn’t take half an hour to get through and you can get more people on and off the table so you don’t waste your whole night playing.

That being said, I’ll probably play my yearly game or 4 of pong this weekend as I’m visiting friends up in NH.

• TheWillow says:

You have the granite of new hampshire in your brain.

8. Bionic Data Drop says:

Looks like another cheaply made American Light Lager. Unless they spend billions a year trying to convince people it’s drinkable (like Bud, Coors, Miller), it will be a total flop.

• humphrmi says:

You’ve clearly never been to a frat party.

• zerogspacecow says:

You seem to be over looking the cheap factor. If there is a case of Natty Light for $8 and a case of “Pong” for $6, which do you think people are going to buy for their drunken escapades? Coming with ping pong balls is a bonus too, because they’re not always easy to find.

I don’t think anyone actually thinks it’s “good” beer, but rather cheap and easy to drink in large volumes without feeling full.

• Maniacmous says:

I agree with most of your post, except the part about it being hard to find ping pong balls. In most areas where the game is played often (read: college campuses), they sell ping pong balls already right in the beer aisles of most liquor and even grocery stores, at least in my experience.

9. mikedt says:

To be really good it should have a top that will pull completely off. Then you wouldn’t even need cups.

10. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Given the both the pong balls and caps are dirt cheap, I don’t see those additions as a reason to buy it. But it’s good and/or cheap beer, they may see some takers.

11. webweazel says:

What the hell is wrong with kids nowadays? Quarters is too stinking difficult to play anymore at the kegger?

12. axolotl says:

If it’s meant for mass consumption such as with beer pong (and obviously nobody cares about the taste), why not just sell it in giant bottles instead of dozens of individual cans?

13. Kat says:

Never could get into beer pong. I’ve always been a flip cup person.

14. Corinthos says:

Surprise there isn’t an uproar from someone saying this is targeting children because its a game.

15. PeanutButter says:

I’ve never seen anyone play pong with beer in the cups. The balls get dropped, touched, etc., and there is usually quite a bit of dirt and debris in the bottom of the cups. I’ve only ever seen water in the cups.

• Bsamm09 says:

Thant’s why you have another cup full of water to wash all the crap off. Totally germ free after a 1 second dunk in dirty water.

• Maniacmous says:

You use the water to get the grit off….the alcohol in the beer is supposed to take care of the germs. :)

16. energynotsaved says:

Actually, I always purchased the cheapest beer available to boil ribs before grilling. It took out some of the fat. It cooked. It tenderized. It flavored. Cheap beer = great ribs.

Looks great to me.

17. djdanska says:

Not shocked the slightest. I worked at a very busy 7-Eleven in the rich river north neighborhood of Chicago. On a friday, saturday or holiday, i would sell out of ping pong balls. All the freaking time! This was bound to happen. I feel sorry for Milwaukee’s Best though.. This could bankrupt them!

18. Rocket says:

Because, that’s what we need, more crappy beer.

19. Hands says:

Forget beer pong. Diet Coke and Mentos Pong is the way to go.

20. TerpBE says:

Sports Authority sells a kit that includes 20 red cups and a couple of ping pong balls for about $15. I’m not sure what part of that is most ridiculous.

21. sirhiggy says:

Too bad kids don’t fill their cups with beer anymore. Even college kids are getting smarter and just filling the cups with water and drinking the beer on the side. this beer will be done in less than 6 months. unless it costs less than keystone and tastes better than beer 30. probably not though.