Looking For Love In All The Electronic Places: Older People Now Really Getting Into Online Dating

It wouldn’t be Valentine’s Day week without the prerequisite romance and dating news crawling out to remind everyone that yes, there are single people in the world, and they’re looking for love. And guess what? It’s not just you young kids surfing the net for a match, as a new study says the fastest growing age group in online dating are those over 60.

A study out of Bowling Green State University in Ohio (via Jezebel) says that while older people are also latching onto online dating as a way to meet new partners, they’re not looking for the same things as the younger generations.

For example, researchers found that those later in life are more likely to market themselves honestly and seek true compatibility, rather than advertising their “sexual prowess and nightlife.”

To those in the online dating business seeking to attract seniors to their sites, the researchers suggest using areas to describe personal characteristics like “affection, intelligence, independence, purpose and goals, religion and spirituality, political beliefs, health and status.”

A common sentiment among the women, especially, seems to be “Don’t waste my time.” Amen, sisters.

Finding love has no expiration date [BGSU]

Comments

1. Emerald4me says:

Now if my mom only knew how to turn on a computer….

Actually I am grateful she has no interest in the computer, as do my in-laws, because my friends tell me all about the email forwards and the million questions they get asked by the parents-over-the-age-of-70 crowd who use the computer.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Get new friends.

• Rachacha says:

My mom does a lot of forwards, mostly the ones that cite a recent study “Warning, you can conceive an HIV positive baby without intercourse by using public restrooms where crack Hos turn their tricks”, or the latest, news of a killer spider that lives under the toilet rim of Olive Garden restaurants. I have found public shaming to be quite effective by replying to all and linking to the Snopes article on the issue. After being humiliated a couple of times, the emails have stopped ( or at least stopped coming to me)

• sadie kate says:

This is exactly what I did to stop the scourge of chain emails from my mom. Now she even has Snopes bookmarked and checks it before she forwards.

• Not Given says:

My mom is the only one of our folks on the internet. It’s not too bad, I have to go by and update something once in a while or she loses a shortcut from her desktop and can’t remember how to fix it. She doesn’t do the forwards and gripes about her friends and relatives that do.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Grrr, my mom makes me really mad because she DOES use a computer, but only for email. She is really intelligent and could grasp this stuff easily, but she absolutely refuses to use it for anything else. Doesn’t trust online banking, won’t do any kind of photo sharing, etc. When she whines that it’s too hard, I just want to scream. She’s already got half of it licked.

My 75-year-old dad said recently he was thinking about getting a computer. I told him under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do it without me! I said when you’re ready to do it, call me and I’ll help you. He’s pretty smart too, and is way too cautious with his money to fall for scams. I could teach him how to use it fairly quickly.

• Coffee says:

My mother is the same way. She’s a 62-year-old doctor who only uses the computer for e-mail and has no interest in learning anything else. Any time there’s the smallest problem, I have to troubleshoot it because she’s never learned how anything else on the computer works. Most recently, she made a folder called “My Pictures” on the desktop and was getting frustrated that they didn’t show up in “My Pictures” (which is obviously a different folder located in a different user directory).

She could learn how it all fits together, but she doesn’t feel like it.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

My mom’s 81 and uses her computer exclusively for email. Might sounds like a waste, but 5 of my siblings are very active on email (me and another brother, not so much), along with one of her sisters, some of my nieces and nephews, etc. Anywhere from 10-20+ emails in a typical day.

She could definitely get a lot more use out of it if she started using a browser. Oh well. Her computer, her life, and that’s how she wants to use it.

• little stripes says:

My dad is in his mid-60s and was one of the first people in my small home town to get a computer (I was in fourth grade at the time, I think, this was back in 92 or 93). He’s a total nerd.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

my dad brought home our first computer in 1979, he built it himself.
      but my mom… didn’t touch any of the first dozen computers to come into the house.
      my mom once asked me “does the [floppy] disk go in with the label up or the label down?”
      and for a couple of years when she was new to email she sent every damned forwarded piece of junk. around the 5th or 6th time my sister or i responded with a link to snopes she caught on.
      now she’s got her own travel pictures website, is compiling an online digital album of all the historic family photos she scanned in and cleaned up digitally, edits her own videos and borrows my dad’s smart phone to email videos from remote villages in south america while they are traveling.

there is hope for the older, non tech savvy individuals. they just have to want to try. in no time at all your mom could be photoshopping out grey hairs and crow’s feet for an online dating site

2. dulcinea47 says:

My mom met her bf through online dating, they’ve been together over two years and he’s a really nice guy. (much nicer than her previous long term bf who she met in “real life”.) She’s in her early 60s and he’s a few years older.

3. Cat says:

“Mine is bigger.”
    “I beg your pardon?”
    “Oh my zucchini. It’s bigger.”

Well played, Grandpa Otter. Well played.

4. Darrone says:

likes: Making people wait behind me at the grocery store, the early bird special at old country buffet, writing checks very slowly.

dislikes: children on my lawn, loud music, minorities.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You forgot dislikes: paying taxes towards public education

• crispyduck13 says:

Further likes: driving 5 mph below the speed limit and hanging out in the left lane of a highway while doing so, paying for $20 of groceries in change, declaring everyone under the visual age of 50 as incompetent…

• Coffee says:

Further likes: pretending not to see younger people and cutting in line, telling five-minute stories that eventually lose the plot, hoarding old maps.

5. FreeMarketFan says:

I hope some old person makes a joke about bridge.

Something like, “Great hand but seeking better partner”

6. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Yet another way for seniors to get ripped off.

7. Coffee says:

Those cyber sessions must take forever.

8. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

I saw 2 old ladies at Sam’s showing each other photos of their grand kids. Instead of a wallet full of pictures they both had smart phones.

9. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Jesus, people! The snark and stereotyping about old people in this thread is pretty bad. Relax.

• Cat says:

Hey, you guys better stay off old man Furbish’s lawn!

• Coffee says:

First they came for the homophobes,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a homophobe.

Then they came for the racists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a racist.

Then they came for the sexists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a sexist.

Then they came for me
      and there was no one left to speak out for me.

10. Darkrose says:

*insert Adam Sandler tirade about loose skin and old balls*

11. TasteyCat says:

Honesty? In online dating?

12. axolotl says:

Online dating?
    More like carbon dating

13. energynotsaved says:

Several of my over 55 friends have found bfs from online dating. I’m happy for them. I’m just rather grossed out by the concept.

And, for all you anti old people kids: I do go to the gym. I have an iPhone, do all of my banking online, shop on line, and actually do know how to use my desk top and my laptop computers. I drive a hot car and I look damn good. Watch it kids. You too will be old some day!

14. Sean H says:

This is a really funny picture for this article. I can imagine the emails sent on the online dating site between the two of them…

Olga: “Do you want to meet at the farmer’s market”
    Theodore: “You’ll be the best looking peach there Olga!”
    Olga: “Oh Teddy you’re making me blush.”

My grandmother met my step grandfather on a website. His name is Lee, and he is such an awesome guy.

15. Gary says:

My father was born in 1934. My mother died in 2000.
    This past September my father married a lovely lady. They met thru an online dating service catering to Jewish people.
    Mazel Tov!

16. akronharry says:

Younger folks are continuously fascinated about “older folks” using computers.
    The internet has been around for some time now folks! Gadgets will always be changing, but the bottom line is that the applications will be used for roughly the same reasons such as communication, entertainment, business…etc.

In a decade or two your children will make similar snarky remarks about how mom and dad (or mom or mom, dad or dad) are now using computerized brain implants like they are.