How To Reduce Eye Strain While You Read, Work And Watch

You spend all day at work staring at a computer monitor. Then you come home and relax by glaring at a TV screen or squinting at a book or laptop. That sort of routine doesn’t give your eyes much of a break, so it helps to take measures to make things easier on your beleaguered peepers.

A HeathGuidance post gives you some pointers on how to treat your eyes with care. Chief among the screen-reading advice is to avoid long periods of intense eye focus, taking breaks at 40-minute intervals. You don’t necessarily need to drop everything and embark on a nature hike. Simply staring off into the distance can break things up enough to keep you fresh.

As for TV watching, you’ll want to minimize glare, and position your set at eye level that ensures you won’t have to look up at it. It could be harder on your eyes to watch TV in a completely dark room, so try to use indirect lighting that brightens things up without reflecting off the screen.

In whatever you’re doing, change something up if you feel your eyes starting to tire.

How to Reduce Eye Strain [HealthGuidance]

Previously: Get Rid Of Screen Glare In A Flash

Comments

1. Cat says:

How To Reduce Eye Strain:
    Don’t read articles by Phil.

2. nicless says:

For the added Consumer edge, please provide a link to a review of indirect lighting sources I can use to make my TV watching easier on my eyes. I suggest flaming flamingos placed to the side of the television.

• Netstar says:

Flaming flamingos would be a lot brighter than the crappy CFL bulbs that were forced upon us.

• Phil Villakeepinitrreal says:

I keep having to wonder what kind of crappy bulbs everyone is buying that they hate CFLs so much. The ones I have are brighter, clearer, don’t heat the room up, and make my power bill a LOT cheaper. They come on immediately in the cold or the warm, they don’t flicker, they can be had in colorations that looks EXACTLY like the incandescent they replaced, and they generally last a minimum of two years.

• Cat says:

See below. Also, you can still buy incandescent bulbs. “Rough service”, “specialty”, and “3-way” bulbs are exempt.

• Cat says:

I’ve seen rope lights on dimmers behind wall mounted TV sets – that looks really nice. Some say it reduces eye strain, but I don’t know about that.

3. HomerSimpson says:

Is that General Zod?

4. ClemsonEE says:

How does looking up at the TV cause eye strain? More like neck strain…?

• ilovemom says:

My eye doctor told me that looking up at my computer screen may have caused my very slight reduction in eyesight (it took about 5-10 years, and neither of my parents had eye problems until later in life). Eyes are not meant to remain fixed on the same position for long times; from what little I understand, the eye muscles reshape the eye to focus on that particular location, which results in loss of focus on other locations (This is probably a very poor translation of the real phenomenon). ‘Up’ is not a normal focal point for me, outside of looking at a screen of some sort. I lowered my monitor so my focal point is slightly lower than eye level and actually had my eyesight improve slightly after a few years.

• Cacao says:

Same here. My eye doc said, when you’re not focusing neither close nor far, one of those visions has to go and it’s usually the far one.

But don’t get glasses. Does everyone know about Ortho-k?

5. CalicoGal says:

F.lux

6. fs2k2isfun says:

I like f.lux on my computer. Makes the screen much more pleasant to look at, especially in the evening.

7. Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Look up the pomodoro technique!

8. curiositykt says:

Every 20 minutes, spend 20 seconds looking at something 20 feet away. Why do we need to know more than this?

Though I have nothing in my office that is 20 feet away so that is always the challenge for me.

9. madcatcasey says:

The ideal reading position would be a sitting posture with the head erect; the book being kept, if the reader is below the age of 35, sixteen inches away, if above the age of 40, at the focal length of the reading glasses prescribed.

So… If you’re over 40, you just automatically have to wear reading glasses?

10. Cat says:
  11. ScandalMgr says:

Its just like Phil to post an article about the symptom, but not the underlying problem, (now-with a question):

What does one do to remove the indelible stain on the brain from (working, watching advertising)?

• Cat says:

Pavlov says you can’t. Advertisers agree.

Winston tastes good, like a…?

12. akronharry says:

I must be bored like Phil. Here is an interesting observation:

If you click on the article (How to Reduce Eye Strain [HealthGuidance])
    and go to the bottom, a suggested related article is given: