Make Your Old Clothes Feel New

If you’ve got a closet full of clothes yet still plan to buy a bunch of new stuff, you could stand to use your wardrobe more efficiently. A few adjustments can inject new life into clothing you already own and stifle your urge to make another shopping trip.

Fabulously Broke in the City offers these suggestions, which are pretty much exclusively geared toward women:

* Turn old shirts into undershirts. By layering clothing, you can create combinations that give you new looks.

* Sew stuff onto clothes, or dye them different colors. Sew flowers and beads onto clothing to alter the style and express yourself artistically.

* Make the same clothes look different with accessories. Belts, necklaces and other add-ons can make the same boring clothes look fresher.

How to make old clothing feel like new again [Fabulously Broke in the City]

Comments

1. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Regarding the last two suggestions:

What if I don’twant to look like a Hippie?

• Cat says:

Cut your hair, ya damn hippie!

• nugatory says:

simple, combine them with suggestion 1…

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Adding a belt or necklace is the sign of a hippie?

Then everyone I know at the office is a suit-wearing hippie!

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost! My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose.

Do you hear me, Lebowski?

2. MichaelRyanSD says:

First one in the office today Phil?

3. tinmanx says:

I don’t think sewing patches onto my dress shirts is a good idea.

• The Porkchop Express says:

only on the elbows so the patch is still there when you take off the jacket with elbow patches. I think they call it cohesion

4. TheMansfieldMauler says:

And don’t forget the rhinestones. It’s the latest craze!

5. SporadicBlah says:

I slimmed down my wardrobe and made it really efficient and frugal using the advise in this guys videos.
    I have 4 pants, 6 shoes, 4 dress shirts and about 12 Ts. Also the misc socks, underwear and accessories. Its about wearing what you have more often and not keeping the stuff you only wear occasionally. Make better use of the close you have.

6. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Don’t just sew stuff on, BEDAZZLE it! BEDAZZLE ALL THE CLOTHES!

7. D007H says:

This article is worst than your average eHow article in terms of unhelpfulness and stating the obvious.

8. nicoleintrovert says:

Put a bird on it!

9. nicoleintrovert says:

Put a bird on it!

10. quieterhue says:

Also find a great tailor and get clothes adjusted to fit. For example, after losing a bit of weight, I had several pairs of pants that were too large to wear, so I had them taken in. Why give up beloved garments if they are too large? Taking them in is a helluva lot cheaper than buying new clothes, and it’s worth the money if you really like the garment.

• ChuckECheese says:

Last week I had a tailor request $25 per pair of pants to take them in. I could buy new ones for that.

11. orangejuice says:

Wear pants as a shirt and wear your shirt as pants.

12. Clyde Barrow says:

What I do:

A couple of things that I learned long ago from a former gf; use high quality detergent softener. I only use Tide and Downy and nothing else. Don’t care what anyone says my clothes always look much better than if I used the $1.99 special detergent.

Turn dress pants inside out, wash pants separately in cold water, warm air dryer
    Turn jeans inside out, wash pants separately in cold water, hang to dry
    Turn dress shirts inside out, wash separately in cold water, warm air dryer
    Turn sweats, colored tees and socks inside out, wash separately in warm water, warm air dryer
    whites in hot water, hot air dryer

I find that using warm instead of hot air helps to keep my clothes lasting much longer.

13. kobresia says:

I was thinking most of the suggestions seemed like hobo chic.

14. framitz says:

I turn old clothes into useful rags… the cotton stuff anyway.

15. ChuckECheese says:

If men follow these suggestions they will look like tranny hookers.

16. Sad Sam says:

Last year I cleaned out my closet. I took everything out of my closet. My husband took all the racking down, painted the interior of the closet and put up new racking in a better configuration (to take advantage of space).

I spent two days trying on everything in my closet (except the stuff that I had worn in the last 30-60 days). If I had not worn something in the past year I paid very close attention to fit and style and I got rid of most everything not worn in the last year. I had clothes from college and high school, and I many years away from both. I got rid of purses and shoes too. I ended up donating two ginormous bags to good will and one ginormous bag to my local women in transition group (business attire). I ended up reducing my wardrobe by 50% but now that I know what I have and can find it and see it I actually wear a much greater variety of clothes.