Google Jumping From Software To Hardware With New Home Entertainment Device

Everyone knows what you mean when you say “Go Google that,” because Google is known for its search engineyness, among other non-tangible Internet tools. But now the mega huge company is making a move to the physical realm with a rumored home entertainment device.

CNNMoney says the device has been nicknamed “Project Tungsten,” and will have the ability to connect speakers or a home stereo to all your digital music files, either stored online with Google Music or from various devices. It can be controlled by a smartphone or tablet, ostensibly those running on Android, as well.

The prototype was unveiled at its I/O developers conference last May. Back then, the devices were described as concepts and not products, but it seems those entertainment items are actually in production.

Google submitted a filing with Federal Communications Commission and described its device as being able to connect to stereo systems and other technology via Bluetooth.

The L.A. Times says they’ll start testing out 252 of the Project Tungsten products in employees’ homes, as it “requires testing outside the laboratory environment” to see how it works with wireless home networks.

Google’s new ‘entertainment device’ is coming [CNNMoney]
Google working on home entertainment device [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. binkleyz says:

Uh, oh, better watch out, Sonos.

They’ve been doing this for 6 years now.. http://www.sonos.com/

2. dimoko says:

i love my android, but my apple TV is nice too.

3. nopirates says:

itunes + airplay = this already

4. Alan says:

I would love to have some cheap tablet mounted to a wall in each one of my rooms where I could controll music/lights/anything else from anywhere based on a central library.
    I’m thinking where we might have a party, i can easily turn on the same music to every speaker in the house, or if I wanted, just certain music in the basement while my wife listens to something else in the bed room.

Once everything connects, I can then get a notice saying the laundry is done, oven just went off, etc.

• Rachacha says:

This exists in a hard wired format that is not terribly difficult to install in a new construction home, but the hardware is difficult to find. Nothing like this exists in a wireless format…yet, but the Sonos players come close on the music aspect of things.

• Alan says:

Sorry, I should have added… do this semi cheaply :)

I’m guessing in 2-3 years, a kindle file type devise will be down to 100 or so, some how hooking it up to the aux/wifi/bluetooth imput of existing equipment and there you go.

• MaytagRepairman says:

Ten years ago I was working at a software company that did home automation. We did a lot of stuff like that. We could stream different music to each room. You could also hear music in another room and then click on wall-mounted touch pad to have your room listen to the same music. There were different hardware platforms we supported but my favorite at the time was using Barix Exstreamers. The only problem I ran into using them was it helped a lot to dedicate a separate subnet for them otherwise music could skip or drift a bit out of sync.

We could also control lights, security system, sprinkler system, heating, etc. Unfotunately, the company folded. Home automation is a finicky field. Companies come and go and there are only a handful of players that stick around for the long haul.

5. GoldVRod says:

Yes, hate to jump on the ‘apple tv’ wagon but this is just that – Apple TV.

$99 gets you all of your media, music, itunes movies and tv shows, netflix, internet radio, youtube, MLB, flickr wirelessly and a whole load of other stuff too packed into a unit about the size of two decks of cards. Plus you can control it from your iOS device using gestures as well as stream to it so you can see your lovely phone stuff on the big TV.

Not sure what google is bringing to the table here aside from androidy connectivity.

6. proliance says:

Boxee Box FTW, Roku, then my homemade HTPC. Apple TV ranks fourth.

7. Cat says:

Last week I was looking at various media software for my new HTPC. One of the media centers that worked well for me was SageTV. I had tried it previously (30 day free trial) and decided at the time not to spend the money for the license. Good thing I didn’t. Turns out Google bought out SageTV, it’s no longer available, and it’s totally unsupported.

I hope Google does something useful with the software, it was a great media center. I hope they didn’t just buy it up to kill off a competitor. GoogleTV is not well received and will die if they can’t step up their game.

8. Sean says:

I love my HTPC running MediaPortal. The UI is great and I can access my music, movies and Netflix with my remote.

9. CorvetteJoe says:

How different is this from, say, the Logitech Revue I just bought that has Honeycomb on it?
    It’s all hooked up to my home theater, streaming stuff from my media server, all connected to teh intarwebz and such.