Forget The Florist, Make Your Own V-Day Bouquet

If you’ve got plans to get a loved one flowers for Valentine’s Day, there are more options than picking up something from the display rack at the front of the grocery store or a high-priced arrangement that florists are peddling. You can save money and add a personal touch by making your own bouquet.

9 News Colorado offers a how-to guide, and although the headline declares the story is directed toward men, we’re fairly certain that women are also capable of making bouquets.

You start by choosing a suitable container that can hold water, then stop by a craft store to pick up some floral foam that will hold stems in place after you cut it to fit. Next you buy or pick the flowers you want in your gift, cutting the stems so they’re about five inches long. If you like, fill out the rest of it with greenery or smaller flowers.

The goal isn’t necessarily to make it look professional, but to make it seem as though you put a lot of effort and thought into the floral expression of adoration.

Men: Make your own Valentine’s Day bouquet [9 News Colorado]

Comments

1. pop top says:

I hope that there aren’t any “I ORDERED FROM A SHITTY ONLINE FLORIST AND GOT THIS TERRIBLE BOUQUET BECAUSE I AM A GODDAMN MORON AND DID 0 RESEARCH” posts in the next few weeks.

Order from a local florist of GTFO.

/J-cakes

• Marlin says:

Most of those are made by a local florist. The online place just tells them what to make and where to go.

So local florist does not equal 100% chance of sucess.

Better yet go to costco and pick them out inperson.

• sponica says:

and since EVERY florist I know is part of FTD or Teleflora, I fail to grasp the logic of anti florist company stances…

my mom’s favorite florist was an FTD florist…

• ChuckECheese says:

I went to a florist and wanted to pick out some flowers for my gf. They would not let me choose individual stems – they required me to buy a bouquet from the FTD catalog.

• bethanyboo says:

I always see great arrangements at my local grocery store, of all places. And it’s far cheaper. But that only works if you will be seeing someone in person.

• webweazel says:

We’ve picked up flowers from various places around town once in a while, Sam’s Club, WalMart, and supermarkets. They are always nice and fresh and last for a couple weeks in great shape and the varieties available are usually pretty decent. We’ve always been very happy with them.

I just want to know what happened to flowers over the years. They are all good looking, of course, but they never smell like anything. Did they mix-breed the smell out of them all?

• Scuba Steve says:

My Girlfriend likes blue roses so local florists are usually out of the question.

• Laura Northrup says:

Sorry. Already rounding them up. We even had an early entry from a birthday flower order that went wrong.

2. scoutermac says:

This is what I do every year. You get nicer flowers cheaper.

3. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

We have a box of fake flowers and set out a vase with a selection from time to time. Every now and then we hit up flower sales at the local craft stores and add to it.

Fakes are looking better and better every year.

4. CubeRat says:

Diamond earrings, spa gift certificate, weekend getaway…if you have the funds.

Day/evening our time if funds are more limited (sans children).

Clean/scrub the house if you don’t have money to spare.

All better options than flowers. Living plant is also a better option than flowers; flowers die in a few days.

• Dallas_shopper says:

This. When I was still married or dating, I didn’t really like getting flowers or chocolate on V-Day; it’s unimaginative and IMHO a waste of money.

My ex-husband gave the best V-Day gifts; he’d call out for Indian takeaway, pay for it, clean up afterwards, and watch whatever stupid movie I wanted to watch on TV that night. And I’d also get a card with his name hastily scribbled below a printed message that I’m sure he didn’t read. I’d give him a similar card and a gift voucher, or a donation to a wildlife charity in his name (which was his preferred gift).

Some days I wonder why my ex and I are divorced, then I remember his evil whore of a mother.

Sorry, going off the reservation here a bit…

• Wolfbird says:

Orchids. Always orchids. Those suckers can live in your bathroom under fake lighting and bloom for 8 weeks.

5. Straspey says:

It’s too bad Best Buy doesn’t sell flowers and isn’t advertising a special Valentine’s Day “Guaranteed Delivery To Your Door” Special…

Just think of the fun Consumerist could have with that:

“Best Buy Promises Flowers – Delivers Box Of HDMI Cables And A Bill For $300.00″

“Harmon wanted to send his fiancee a bouquet of flowers for Valentine’s Day, and thought the “Guaranteed Front Door Delivery” special from Best Buy seemed like a really great deal.

Imagine his reaction when, instead of calling to thank him for the lovely bouquet, his girlfriend sent him an email asking him why he had his HDMI Cables sent to her address and does he expect her to pay the $300.00 invoice which came in the box.”

6. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

1. Wait until February 15th
    2. Buy chocolates and flowers 1/2 price
    3. Problem solved.

• shoes says:

The finace LOVES that my birthday is a few days after Valentine’s day. He likes that he’s still buying me flowers for something, I like the pretty flowers. He also likes that getting the cheap leftover flowers was my idea :)

7. yurei avalon says:

I make my own bouquets at home. Specifically, the boyfriend is getting a new beer stein with his family crest on it and a bottle of Connemara 12 year to try. Both presents are probably going to be a day or two late due to delayed delivery times. Oh well. I can get a single rose possibly on clearance the following day and some marked down chocolates he likes to throw in the stein to make it “pretty” for my own feminine sensibilities. Not a big holiday with us, but I like to show him I appreciate all the stuff he does for me.

8. DrPizza says:

I’ve been married for over 20 years. I have *NEVER* purchased flowers “for Valentine’s day.” And being a jerk, I’m one who happily points out to women that you got the “flowers FOR Valentine’s Day. Not ‘because I love you.’ A lot of women get flowers only 2 times a year: Valentine’s Day & their anniversary. And the only thing it means for many of them is that their husband has a good secretary who remembers to take care of this stuff. For many more women, it means little more. Flowers on a random day ‘because I love you’ mean a LOT more than flowers given out of some tradition, on a day that’s heavily advertised to give flowers, and on which day the price is inflated.”

I’ll never purchase flowers on Valentine’s day. I won’t go out to over-priced “specials” at restaurants on that day. Though, we’ll celebrate that day together with a special dinner at home.

• DrPizza says:

People whine about the commercialization of Christmas – taking away from the “real meaning of the holiday.” (Though, the real meaning of that holiday, to me, is getting family and friends together, exchanging gifts, etc.)

But, all this excessive advertising for flowers, raising the price on roses, candy, etc., is the commercialization of a holiday where people should be celebrating their love for one another. I think it’s worse that people are forgetting the actual meaning of that holiday, in favor of buying into all the promotions of “if you love her, you’ll buy roses.”

• sponica says:

I view Valentine’s Day as a conspiracy of the candy companies, the greeting card companies, and the flower companies to takeover a feast day….newsflash, EVERY day is some Saint’s day! (I’m ok with St Patrick’s day…but I really don’t need an excuse to wear green and drink beer)

today’s the feast of St Andrew, for example….

• BD2008 says:

I will never understand how Valentine’s Day haters spout off against commercialism and greeting card companies yet observe all of the other ridiculous “holidays” like St. Patricks Day.

How very irrational.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

I know what you mean, but I think it has more to do with the fact that St. Patty’s day isn’t necessarily tied to anything specifically consumeristic. Yeah, the whole “green beer” thing is ridiculous and St. Patty’s day just turns into a day where it’s supposedly okay to get drunk, but in general, Christmas and Valentines day are specifically tied to buying things you don’t necessarily need.

9. Santas Little Helper says:

I swear I quickly read the title as Forget The Florist, Make Your Own V-D Bouquet.

10. chucklebuck says:

We can’t have flowers in the house because the cat eats them and gets sick. Problem solved!

I actually sewed my wife a sock monkey for Valentine’s Day one year. I don’t really know how to sew. The monkey is only tenuously held together and is uneven in almost every way possible.

She named him “Messy” and loves him at least as much as any gift I’ve ever bought :).

• Kate says:

Yup, it’s the effort and thought that are appreciated. I never know why so many guys have such a problem with that point.

Write her a poem or love letter that you put some effort into – no money and she will be all over you.

• pamelad says:

I’d love to see a picture of “Messy.” Keep him safe from the naughty cat, since “Messy” is on his way to becoming an heirloom. That is really a sweet gift.

11. qwickone says:

Remember gentlemen, it’s more about the thought and effort than about the actual gift. Remember ladies, the same goes for you. Guys like stuff too.

12. Bugley says:

“…to make it seem as though you put a lot of effort and thought into the floral expression of adoration.”

Seem?

13. Errr... says:

Ugh. No. Don’t use floral foam unless you know how to use it. It won’t make your bouquet look better, Cutting the stems to an apprpriate length and dropping the flowers into an appropriately sized vase is much better (and easier).
    My mom owns a flower shop that I used to work at. Roses are very expensive and not of the best quality this time of year. The shops know this, but their prices more than double from the wholesaler. You don’t need to spend a lot on flowers.
    Go up to a clerk, ask them to make a bouquet they’d like to receive for $X. Also ask them to grab a vase that would fit said flowers if you don’t have one at home. Tell them you know they’re busy and ask if they need a few minutes and if you should come back. They’ll probably tell you no because you’re cool and they appreciate that. You’ll get an awesome bouquet with the best/freshest flowers, spend less than you would if you bought roses and you won’t be giving your SO the same thing as everyone else. Unless your SO loves roses, then buy one. Save buying a dozen roses for when you SO’s not expecting it, you know, just because you love them.

14. chiieddy says:

Please remember, the city botanical gardens are not an appropriate place to pick flowers.

15. PaulR says:

V-day?

What the heck does WWII have to do with Feb 14th?

16. Debbie says:

I always ask for a bouquet of roses from Costco. They contain a dozen and a half roses in a variety of beautiful colors and they last over a week. That’s more than I can say about most flowers that cost twice as much.