Weak Flu Season May Still Ramp Up And Get You Yet

If you’ve managed to avoid contracting the flu so far, don’t start getting cocky just yet. The typical flu season kicks into full force in February and March, so there may still be a nasty virus floating out there with your name on it.

According to Fox News, the current flu season has been mild, possibly due to unseasonably warm weather that is allowing people to enjoy the outdoors rather than stay cooped up passing viruses to one another. A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman said flu-related medical attention has been lower than average, but the flu is expected to menace more people in the coming weeks. Flu season can last until May.

Your best bets to remain flu-free are to get a flu shot if you haven’t gotten one already, wash your hands often, avoid touching your face and to stay away from those who appear to be sick.

Flu season is mild, but gearing up [Fox News]

Comments

1. Cat says:

It’s from Fox News. I’m sure it’s some sort of a right wing Republican conspiracy.

2. rmorin says:

1. If you can afford it, everyone should get a flu shot. (unless contraindicated)
    2. The flu shot can not possibly ever cause the flu.
    3. Even more important for children, the elderly, and asthmatics.
    4. The flu is not “I have a stuffy nose for a few days”. It is an illness that can and will really kick your butt. It’s silly when people use “flu” as interchangeable with simple uncomplicated upper respiratory infections.

• Tegan says:

Man, you’re not kidding. My boyfriend and I got the flu a couple years ago around the same time – we were absolutely miserable and wiped out for about 2 weeks, and then another 3-4 weeks after that full of sinus-y coughing goodness. It’s the only time I’ve ever had it, and I hope that doesn’t change.

3. rockelscorcho says:

I’m sure Fox News can find a way to blame Obama for this.

4. DogInYellowCoat says:

According to the CDC, flu season doesn’t even peak until Feb in North America, which we’re only 1/3 of the way into at this point. Unfortunately, flu shots usually take 4-6 weeks to really take effect in your system, but now is better than nothing! (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season.htm)

Get a flu shot!

5. u1itn0w2day says:

No flu shot in over 10 years. No bed confining illnesses. People around me sick at once a year with all the symptoms for 2-3 weeks. Unlike the others I make fitness and vitamins a priority

6. curiositykt says:

While the flu season might be weak, the cold season this year is brutal. I got mine on Dec 20th, I’ve been sick since.

• mjd74 says:

Omg, YES. Seems like almost everyone I know has had debilitating, miserable colds this season. A lot of us have had them twice!

• sponica says:

i’m choosing to blame the roller coaster temperatures….pick a temp and stick with it mother nature! none of this 50s one day, 20s the next. i swear all the bugs are a little nastier when it’s milder and inconsistently cold

7. BurtReynolds says:

I guess I should probably get a flu shot.

8. yurei avalon says:

You can get flu shots free or dirt cheap in all sorts of places these days, particularly at some pharmacy chains or through your employer.

That said, I’ll still pass. My flu rate is once every 10 years or so and I had one about a year ago. I should be good for another 9 years or so.

9. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I can’t say enough about getting a flu shot. I started getting them 18 years ago, and it’s been a Godsend for me. Having the flu is a miserable experience, and I’ve only had it once in the last 18 years. A few years back, 1/2 of our office staff was out sick with the flu and some people were hospitalized. It’s not only rough on people who get sick, but on businesses as well when large percentages of staff come down with it at the same time.

10. NCB says:

I’ve had the flu twice in my life and I was sick for over 2 weeks so I always get my shot. There is an awful respiratory virus going around. I’ve been feeling coughy, sinusy and wiped out for about 3 weeks now. And everyone in the office has had it.

11. azgirl says:

Captain Trips made his walk around my office 3 weeks ago.. we had 8 out of 40 guys sick in one building.. 3 of them at least had had the much heralded flu shot.. ( I know, I know, it doesn’t cover every strain…)

This pregnant lady stayed away, issued clorox wipes to everyone in sight, didnt interact with suspected contagious without a P95 dust mask and basically didnt touch a surface without elaborate decontamination procedures…and knock on wood– did not get sick..

No one wants to see a pregnant woman with the flu…

12. SteveHolt says:

Seems I’m the odd man out here, but fuck the flu shot. My body needs to learn to do *something* for itself. I was one of the unlucky fucks to get H1N1 though. Worst two weeks of my life.