If You Want To Work Out To A Video, Just Stay Home

Vikram has been pretty happy with his gym, Life Time Fitness. Until an employee caught him working out to a P90X video on his laptop. He was asked to stop. Vikram says that the first employee explained claimed that electronic devices were banned because they might have cameras–a weak argument when smartphones and camera-toting iPods rule the gym. A manager explained that it’s about “competing services.” Presumably the choices are: take a class or hire a trainer at the gym, or follow your workout video at home.

I have been a member of Life Time Fitness Gyms for about a year now. It is a pretty nice gym and I have never had any complaints. However, today I was working out doing a P90x-2 video on my laptop in the abs area. A gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and said I was not allowed to have a computer anywhere on the gym floor due to cameras. I explained that this is a really old laptop and doesn’t have a camera. At that point he said I couldn’t have any electronic devices in the gym and I need to take it up with the general manager.

I went and talked to the general manager and he told me I can’t have competing services and that is why it isn’t allowed. I asked why he was telling me one thing and the other guy was telling me something else. He didn’t bother to clarify and instead said too bad that I wouldn’t be allowed to do any P90x-2 videos at the gym. At that point I terminated my membership because they didn’t even try to work with me.

It’s like a “no outside food or drink” rule. No outside workouts. But is it fair?

Comments

1. FreeMarketFan says:

Ya, that’s why I quit Life Time Fitness.

They are all nice to you the second you explain you don’t want to use their trainers or classes and just want to do your own thing. I had the iPod video with the orig p90 on it and it was a no-no.

I canceled my membership.

2. impatientgirl says:

I went there for a while a few years ago. I got tired of being bombarded every time I walked in the door with a trainer sales pitch. I dont want a trainer, I want to be left alone to do my own thing. They kept pushing it so I cancelled.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Okay, someone really messed up this poll

“No outside workouts. But is it fair?”

Yes. People should be allowed to follow any program they want.

WTF?

• Anathema777 says:

The poll question is “Should workout videos be allowed at the gym?”…

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Fair enough, I guess I missed that gem. But the “No” answer is still ambiguous. If I can’t use the gym for my own personal workouts, why even have a membership?

• teamplur says:

I agree it’s confusing. If you read the last line of the article, you’d think you want to answer ‘NO’, then you double check and see the Poll question is phrased the other way around.

4. GMFish says:

You do realize they’ll still continue to bill you every month, right? And if you refuse to pay, they’ll just send your “debt” to collections ruining your credit rating.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Lifetime is a month to month place, no year long contracts. There is a one time fee of a shit load of money, and then a slightly less larger shit load every month. So no he will not be sent to collections.

I will continue using my Planet Fitness thank you. $10/mo with no contract FTW!

• K-Bo says:

Planet Fitness is the best gym I ever went to. I just wish they would build one closer to me. I can’t justify driving past 20 other gyms to go to the nearest one to my house.

• benson304 says:

Planet Fitness is terrible if you do anything but cardio and circuit training machines. They usually have about 100 different cardio machines which is great if it is a busy gym.

Their weights only go up to 75 pounds in order to further ensure no one there could be a “lunk”. I was forced to use them in college because there was literally no other option and it was not the most enjoyable time.

• Firethorn says:

75 lbs? Even for things like the chest press?

I’m not the most muscular of guys, and even I can do more than 75 on most of the machines. No, I don’t typically grunt. I clunk occasionally when I misguess a weight/rep. Not loud ‘dropped the weight’, but not the gentlest of set-downs either. I usually aim for a ‘clink’, indicating I’m doing a full extension.

• Tiffymonster says:

Not at my planet fitness (Scarsdale, NY) the gym is massive and they go well over 200 lbs
            There are just as many weight machines and a free weight section as large as any Ballys or other gym I’ve gone to and I have never seen the lunk alarm used. I think it is just a goofy thing and cute.

The gym itself is fantastic and everyone cleans up after themselves which is refreshing to see. I have the $20/month membership and I am thrilled with it.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

I thought about using planet fitness since they are opening one in my area, how do you like the gym?

• sponica says:

If you want a no-frills gym, it’s worth it. However, not all locations are the same. My location is corporately owned so the equipment is always in shape and replaced if/when broken.

• CharlesFarley says:

Planet Fitness has it’s own issues – their whole ‘lunk alarm’ is quite silly.

• MaloMonster says:

What is a Lunk Alarm? I saw it’s semi-definition on Urban Dictionary, but I figured you might be able to explain it better.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I liked Planet Fitness well enough, except for the whole, “Wow, it’s been a year since the last time I remembered to go to the gym, I’ve just been paying a $10/month Fat Tax” … :(

*terrible*

5. chefboyardee says:

p90x requires no special equipment except elastic bands (if you don’t have weights, they work fine). They’re like $20. I could see if the workout regiment needed all these crazy dumbbells and such, but otherwise, I see no point in paying for and going to a gym to do something you can easily do for free at home. This guy is an idiot, and probably a douchebag who wants to show off in front of everyone.

That said, he should be able to do whatever he wants with his membership as long as he’s not hurting anyone or stopping anyone else from doing what they’re doing.

• alSeen says:

There is a psychological factor involved. Some people are more likely to follow a workout routine if they have a separate location that they are paying for.

• Don't Bother says:

This is a great point. It’s like some people who, if they have to get some work done, go outside of their house. I know when I lived in a dorm at college, I had friends who would pack up all their stuff to go to study in the library. They weren’t actually using the computers or the books, they just found the area more conducive towards studying.

I guess it literally puts some people in the “zone.”

• wen says:

Well if you’re around other people doing the same thing, you’ll usually get more into it yourself… At least that’s why I would go to the library in college… and to the gym, too

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m doing a knockoff P-90X right now, hoping to build up to the real thing. When I get home, the last thing I want to do it exercise.

If I can drive straight to the gym from work, it would be silly for me not to exercise. The pyschological effect is a strong one.

• chefboyardee says:

That is a great perspective that I did not consider. Thanks for replying.

I’ve been to the gym too many times and met too many douchebags that I guess I’m a little jaded. It was why I started doing p90x at home in the first place.

• fatediesel says:

I’ve done P90x twice, once with bands and once with weights and the program is much more effective with weights. P90x also requires some space so if you live in a small apartment or dorm room it could be difficult to do the program at home.

• chefboyardee says:

I had the opposite experience, I enjoyed doing it both ways, but I actually found the resistance bands to be better. Perhaps I didn’t own heavy enough weights. But I really enjoy resistance workouts. The only limitation was that I couldn’t “lift my weight” during pull-ups. But I did significantly more to make up for it until I purchased a pull-up bar.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

“This guy is an idiot, and probably a douchebag who wants to show off in front of everyone.”

I’m only seeing one d-bag here…. and it’s not the OP.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m just going to echo the previously comments, and add that I think you interpretted his behavior and attitude incorrectly – I saw nothing douchenozzley here.

This issue still boils down to the management wouldn’t let someone use the facilities to which he paid, for his desired use which was not an unreasonable one.

• chefboyardee says:

Of *course* the OP isn’t going to report that hes a douchebag. But I agree with your assessment in the second paragraph (which echos my second paragraph) :)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

?? the previous comments listed below, not yours.

The other commenters are right on, you’re a little misguided.

• chefboyardee says:

I’m not misguided, I’m saying that you saw no douchnozzlery in the OP, but of course you didn’t…because the OP isn’t going to call himself out and say “I was being a douche at Life Time Fitness and this happened…”

I mean, who would say that about themselves in a Consumerist post? Of course he was being a perfect gentleman the whole time. :)

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

You said it, why are you being intentionally obtuse?

Dr. Ned seems to have it right:

“I’m only seeing one d-bag here…. and it’s not the OP.”

I’ll save you the clever reparte response of who that one person might be….it’s you.

• chefboyardee says:

I said what? I swear I am not being intentionally obtuse. That drives me insane when people do that. I’m seriously totally confused as to what you’re talking about.

You said: “I think you interpretted his behavior and attitude incorrectly – I saw nothing douchenozzley here.”

I said (reworded for clarity): “Of course there’s nothing douchenozzley in the original post, because who is going to report to Consumerist ‘hey, i was being a douche, and here’s what happened’”. So of course there’s nothing douchenozzley in the original post. Vikram was describing himself, why would he describe himself as a douche? That doesn’t mean he wasn’t being one, it just means he’s not reporting himself as one to Consumerist.

Was my assumption that he was a douche fair? Probably not, like I said elsewhere, I’m jaded because I’ve seen waaaay too many “look at me working out I’m so big and strong” jock-douche types at the gyms I’ve been a member of. Because he’s already moved up to p90x-2 I assumed he was already buff and just showing off. After reading other explanations as to why one might do p90x at a gym, I reneged that.

But that doesn’t mean it’s not POSSIBLE that he’s a douche, just because the OP didn’t say it. He was writing Consumerist about himself, like I said, he’s not going to come out and say he’s a douchebag. There’s a 50% chance that he is (and, admittedly, a 50% chance that he’s not).

This thread contains the most times I’ve ever typed the word “douche” in one day.

• chefboyardee says:

Here’s an analogy. There’s a post about by a car salesman having a great sale. I say “it’s probably a ripoff” because I personally don’t trust car salesman. There’s nothing in the post implying that it’s a ripoff, but that doesn’t mean it’s not possible/likely. My statement is perfectly valid in spite of “no proof of that” in the article, because of course the car salesman isn’t going to say “I’m having a sale but it’s a ripoff!” when writing Consumerist.

Do you see where I’m coming from? At this point we’re arguing semantics, but I’d still like to know I got my point across well, even if you don’t agree with it.

• maxamus2 says:

Why is it “douchenozzly” is one of my favorite words?

• selianth says:

He said he was doing P90X 2 (came out at the beginning of December), which has a lot of exercises that you really only get the full benefit from if you have good equipment. My husband is currently doing it and got the deluxe package that came with a lot of equipment – all of a sudden I realize why people build exercise rooms to hold all this stuff. It’s a good thing we don’t really use our living room for anything else. I can see why the OP would want to do it at the gym instead.

• chefboyardee says:

Valid points, as are many of the others in previous/later comments in this reply thread as well as the main comment thread.

I actually didn’t consider that I rent a standalone house and am 160lbs soaking wet, so I was better set up for my at-home p90x experience than most. Heavier people who need padded floors, those who have downstairs neighbors, and small apartments with no room for jumping didn’t even come to mind.

I now see why one might want to do this at a gym instead. I’m glad I added my second paragraph to my original post.

• Tyanna says:

He says he’s had the membership for a year. Meaning he had the gym membership before he started PS90x. I guess he figured he’d still go to the gym and do the video then so that he wasn’t breaking his routine.

• daynight says:

There are many reasons why he may prefer to work out at the gym rather than at home. Perhaps there are too many people around to distract him. Perhaps the space is not conducive for working out for any number of reasons. Perhaps his schedule make it most effective to work out at a time he is not near home. Perhaps there are other reasons.
      The one thing that is known is that you have decide to ignore any reasons he may have just so you can take an opportunity to judge and condemn him. I can only wonder why.

• msbask says:

I live on the second story of a 2-family house. Doing a workout in my living room would just not be fair to the people below me. (We can hear each other talk, can you imagine jumping, running, etc over their heads?)

• maxamus2 says:

But this guy was using P90X-2 and this new series does require a lot of equipment.

6. shinseiromeo says:

Um… isn’t what the OP wants to do beneficial to the gym since he is a paying member and is not putting as much wear and tear on the gyms equipment since he’s working out on his own?

• alSeen says:

They’re worried about other people seeing that you can work out without paying for their classes and personal trainers.

7. SamiJ says:

The only reason why they should discourage ‘outside programs’ is if they are worried about users getting hurt & holding the gym accountable. But if it is considered ‘use at your own risk’ — then what difference does it make? My gym lets us use the DVDs in their ‘library’ & borrow them (P90X included) — they’ll even put it up on the overhead tv for users.

8. Clyde Barrow says:

Well it is a valid issue because of cam’s on laptop’s however the competing issue as far as I am concerned is not.

At my Life Time, you can see commercials of P90 every hour on their TVs. They’re promoting P90 by showing them. And besides, he’s paying for a membership at Life Time so what difference does it make what work-out video he chooses? It’s really his business and no one elses.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Except, as the article points out, the camera issue is bogus, based on the number of smartphones / iPod Touches are in the possession of gym-goers.

• Clyde Barrow says:

Yep,,you got me on that one. I wasn’t even thinking about all the folks with their phones playing music while working out.

9. pop top says:

Unless you need special equipment for P90X (I don’t know anything about it), then why buy DVDs and have a gym membership? Why not stay home and do the workouts yourself? I find this situation really weird.

• Sarahlara says:

If you live in an apartment or condo and have downstairs neighbors, you may not have that choice. Some of the P90X videos (like the plyometric one) would be extremely loud. You also may use the gym because it has day care or more space than your home.

• Jacquilynne says:

Not everyone has a home that’s appropriate for working out in. My last place only had enough floor space for me to do a pushup if I did it on an angle with my feet in my bedroom and my head in my living room. Before that, I lived with roommates, and there wouldn’t have been enough room in my room to work out and it wouldn’t have been appropriate in the shared public spaces.

Other people may have the room, but if they have children or pets who would interrupt or other issues, it might not be realistic for them to work out at home. Or maybe they want to work out on their lunch hour and need a place near work instead of home.

• minjche says:

P90x requires either resistance bands or a set of dumbells, and also needs either the same resistance bands (and a doorway to wedge them into) or a pull-up bar.

Not every home/apartment will have a doorway to put a pullup bar or wedge resistance bands into, and the set of dumbells at the gym could be more convenient.

Plus as another commenter pointed out, P90X has some workouts with a lot of jumping and having downstairs neighbors would make that one difficult (if you’re interested in being courteous to your neighbors).

Another plus of a gym is mirrors. Being able to see your own motions and match them to the video is really helpful for keeping good form. A lot of gyms will have whole walls of mirrors for just that reason.

• selianth says:

P90X 2 (which the OP says he was doing) also has a lot of exercises that require 1, 2, or 3 medicine balls, and a stability ball as well. It’s a lot crazier than the original P90X was.

• minjche says:

Oh that’s my mistake, I didn’t realize there was a newer version of p90x.

• Farleyboy007 says:

As a heavier dude, i would really prefer to do the p90x workouts on a padded floor, and with more space, and without my dog occaisionally wandering into my while i’m jumping around like a goon. Honestly, i was thinking of just putting the videos on my ipod, and going by the audio instruction. Once you’ve done the videos a few times, you pretty much know how to do the excercises, you just need instruction on the timing.

• UltimateOutsider says:

Everyone who replied so far has mentioned valid reasons, but I have one more: A gym membership means uninterrupted workout time. Being employed and married, with two young kids, I don’t get uninterrupted time anywhere else.

• MomToARedhead says:

I use P90x as a supplement to regular workout 1-2 days a week. I don’t follow any one program exclusively so I use both P90x and the gym. As others have said, it’s hard to do when you have kids or pets running around. My DD isn’t old enough for school yet but she’s too old for a nap. If I worked out after she went to bed, I would be up all night long. I don’t use P90x at the gym, but I do wait for my husband to come home and take her to the park so I can have an hour uninterrupted but not everyone has that luxury.

10. Costner says:

This is really simple. What are the policies contained in the original contract and (in the case the contract has language indicating all signs and written policies must be obeyed) what are the written policies posted on the doors, walls, and equipment etc?

If there is a policy – then he needs to abide by it. If there is no such policy, he can try to appeal to a higher authority (district manager or corporate office etc). However if you plan to just do P90x, why oh why would you want to come to the gym when you can easily do it at home with little to no equipment of your own?

I can’t really fault the manager here – when I go to the gym I don’t want some creepy guy using his laptop either. People are already bad enough with their smartphones and I know there are guys who have taken photos and videos of the “hot girl running on the treadmill” – they should encourage this behavior by blatantly allowing laptops and ipads.

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

I don’t know if you’ve ever done p90x, I have, but you need some room to complete the program which not everyone has at their residence. Also maybe the OP went during lunch, I can’t do a workout at my office maybe you can though. Lastly if you are going to ban laptops & tablets because of a creepy guy Why not ban video mp3 players and phones with cameras as well?

• Costner says:

“I don’t know if you’ve ever done p90x, I have, but you need some room to complete the program which not everyone has at their residence.”

I understand this, but considering how quickly he quit the gym over this incident, I’m guessing it wasn’t a huge issue for him to find another place to workout. Is the program so detailed that you really need a video showing you step by step what to do? Wouldn’t a printed workout guide or audio file of the workout work just as well?

“Lastly if you are going to ban laptops & tablets because of a creepy guy Why not ban video mp3 players and phones with cameras as well?”

They probably should – and they may already have a policy about it (they seem to claim they do), but you also can’t expect them to know every model of MP3 player to know whether or not they have video capabilities. I would expect them to speak with the obvious offenders (like a guy carrying a laptop in with him), but for someone with an ipod strapped to their arm it probably isn’t quite as clear.

11. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

So let’s see:

>OP is paying Lifetime Fitness for a membership. They get money out of him either way.

>OP can work out at the gym without a class or personal trainer in the employ of Lifetime Fitness. OP also does so, presumably because he wants/needs the space or equipment they have available.

>OP wants to use his own workout videos at the gym facilities.

My only conclusion is that Lifetime Fitness wants to squeeze a few extra dollars out of the OP because they own the facility, and therefore, have him by the short n’ curlies.

12. tacitus59 says:

Mmmm … big bucks are being paid to Lifetime fitness. If somebody wants to do their own program assuming they are not bringing in an actual human trainer, they should have let him. I have liked lifetime fitness – their free classes are actually pretty good and their amenities are wonderful. Their “free” magazine isn’t half bad either. Their tendency to push people at additional pay-for services is annoying. Lack of stuff – like free recording cards is annoying; my $6/month club years ago had free recording cards.

13. msky says:

A gym should be a place where you work out how you want. shoudlnt matter how.

14. Cat says:

For me, the issue would be the “equipment” he chose. At what point is it ridiculous? If a laptop is okay, why can’t I drag my desktop in and set it up? I think an MP3 player with video would work fine.

Here’s my suggestion for electronics rules in a gym:

Cell phones allowed, but on silent ring, and for emergency use only. (Big distraction, and just to be fair to all!)
    No laptops, net-books or tablets.
    VideoMP3 player only, no cameras.

You can buy a decent MP3 / video player for about $30-$50 if you “need” to watch your video.

• jenesaisrien says:

Lets up the ante. No lolling around talking/reading book on stretching mats, No leaving your dirty towels on said mats in the way of others….No clogging indoor track by strolling couples side by side using both the “walk” and the “jog” lanes,no men using gallons of AXE deo or women drenched in cologne or whatever it is fumigating the area, no hogging the one stair stepping machines for 30-69 min, no ladies wearing an undergarment instead of shirt,,no men wearing short shorts, etc etc

• TrustAvidity says:

Along with your step thing, how about obeying the time limits on the treadmill? My gym has 5 treadmills and I have no choice but to work out in prime time, but there are still people on there for excess of 45 mins to an hour. There’s a sign in front of their face that says limit use to 30 minutes when busy.

• CubeRat says:

I disagree with this 30 minute rule thing some gyms have. I joined the gym to use the cardio equipment. My normal cardio workout is 60 minutes and I don’t want to break it in to multiple segments to complete it. I’ve suggested to the gym that they have some “short use” machines, but to leave the rest alone. I know there are some people who only want to do a 5-10 minute run and then go on to another part of their workout, so this would work for them.

Now, my gym has 30 treadmills, 20 elliptical, 8 Stairmasters, plus bikes and rowing machines; so my suggestion would work.

• slightlyjaded says:

Nobody else is saying this, and I completely agree! How intrusive is it to be setting up your own little AV corner in the abs section of the gym? The rationale given to the OP was dumb–how about just common courtesy? Maybe other folks working out don’t want to listen to your workout video blaring?

My solution is just one rule: headphones required for all electronic devices. You want to use your laptop? OK, but you better find a way to strap it to your body so it’s not in everybody else’s way.

• drjayphd says:

So where does my iPhone fall under this heading, if I’m using it as a video/MP3 player or, for instance, using a training app, and not using it as a phone?

15. uniqueme says:

No competing services? So if he was listening to a podcast that talked him through a workout (whether its P90x, or one of the many podcasts out there) would that be banned too? Or if someone was following a written regimen written on a piece of paper? How are those any different conceptually than following a video (whether it’s on a laptop or on an ipod?)

Ridiculous.

• Tim says:

It’s a slippery slope. What if he watched the video before, memorized the exercises and did them at the gym?

• jenesaisrien says:

indeed What if he just thought about doing it and they used that new thought reading machine in the news to expose his intentions?

• mk says:

my exact thought. I once made copies from Jillian whats-her-name book of workouts to bring to the gym. No one ever said anything to me about it. Not quite as obvious as a laptop, but still, I was clearly referencing materials that were not the gyms.

16. ExtraCelestial says:

I just quit Life Time last month. $90 a month for no pool, showers that are not regularly cleaned (gum stuck to the floor for a week? eww! and don’t even get me started on what kind of low life would spit gum out on a shower floor. this happened all the time here), locker thefts on the regular and classes that were so stuffed and overfilled they broke fire code? No thanks.

BTW I would occasionally watch movies on my iPhone and no one ever said anything to me. I guess a laptop is a little more obvious though. And to their credit the sign does actually say (at least at my location) no electronic devices

• SecretShopper: pours out a lil' liquor for the homies Wasp & Otter says:

Holy workout balls Batman! 90/mo? That sounds like NYC pricing, esp w/o a pool & clean showers (eww). I thought I was getting shafted at la fitness for 35/mo with a little lap pool & half BBall court showers were always clean though.

17. kiltman says:

I go to Lifetime and I never have a problem with the trainers or any sales pitch whatsoever. I would have a problem with a laptop lying on the floor though. If you are holding something to watch a video than you are not paying attention to your surroundings. My wife follows some nike training on her iphone but I don’t think it is videos, just instructions.

18. einstein1486 says:

Maybe the guy wants to do other exercises in addition to P90X while he’s at the gym? Maybe he doesn’t have ample space to do it at home? There are lots of totally plausible explanations aside from “he’s just trying to be cool and show off.”

It seems pretty clear that the gym is trying to pinch pennies here. They would have no way of knowing if you showed up and started doing some “outside workout plan” that didn’t involve special videos or equipment. Seems like they just used the obvious laptop as an excuse to push their training services on this guy.

19. crashfrog says:

I gotta side with the gym on this. It’s like bringing your own lunch to a restaurant and saying it’s ok because you ordered a drink. The gym is trying to sell P90X training; you bringing it in on a video defeats the purpose. No business lets you use their equipment to patronize their competitors (except, I guess, Barnes and Nobel, aka Amazon Showroom.)

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Except you’re already paying them for a service, i.e. the privilege to use their facility and equipment.

If he doesn’t bring a workout at all, they don’t care. They can’t -make- him take a class or hire a personal trainer. That’s effectively an up-sell on the existing product.

They’re pissing into the wind because he’s effectively shutting down their ability to upsell him.

• RandomHookup says:

But do you pay a membership to the restaurant? Yes, a restaurant can stop you from bringing in outside food (beyond a baby’s) and a gym can prohibit you from using your laptop if they have put that out as a rule. Yet, it seems stupid for a gym to run someone out over something so simple when Vikram is willing to pay them a monthly membership fee.

20. Zydia says:

I think this situation is similar to restaraunts deciding to allow BYOB. I’m on the gym’s side but only because I think they have the right to make any stupid business decision they want. They seem to be throwing good money out the door here, and getting bad publicity.

21. Dallas_shopper says:

I used to be a Lifetime Fitness member when I worked in a building that had one adjacent to it. Their ‘no camera’ policy is strict, and for good reason. However they also pimp their personal training services pretty aggressively, so I think that’s what the real rub was.

22. kurtmac says:

Just had a horrible cancel-my-membership-now experience with Lifetime Fitness that could the the subject of its own post, but I’ll summarize: These big gym chains are not at all concerned with your health, fitness or personal goals, despite what their brochures tell you. They want your money, as much of it as possible, and will do anything to take advantage of the vulnerable position most people are in when it comes to their weight and personal fitness in order to get it. And when you figure that out and want a refund of your money, they’ll lie through their teeth to keep it. Stay at home, run outside or find a local community park district gym to use.

23. ctcatfur says:

Personally, I have several Beach Body/Tony Horton videos so I don’t have to pay for a gym. I’m all for freedom to do what you want, but depending on the gym set up, listening to somebody’s DVD could be really annoying. If at all, stay low profile with an MP3 player.

24. lettucefactory says:

That’s amazingly short-sighted of them.

But I’m not terribly surprised. I belonged to LifeTime a couple of years ago and it got to the point where I couldn’t get through a single workout without getting harassed to sign up for personal training sessions. They would even walk right up to me when I was on the treadmill and wearing my earbuds – clearly in the zone and in no position to chat – and start waving their arms to get my attention.

It was a shame because it was a nice, big gym with a good childcare facility. I liked it otherwise.

25. slightlyjaded says:

My initial thought was the gym is a bunch of jerks, but the more I think about it, I’m not sure. I have to admit I’d be annoyed if I went to work out at the Y today, and some slob had his laptop sitting out taking up half the mats, blasting out some workout video. People using personal DVD players or iPads to watch something while they’re on a treadmill is one thing. What’s described here sounds pretty intrusive.

There is, however, a straightforward and less obnoxious rule the gym could use to achieve the same result: Require members to use headphones with any electronic device. This is just good gym etiquette anyway.

26. tweeder82o says:

there’s free wi-fi at my lifetime, and the some trainers use their ipad for their sessions. It just depends on the GM, take it higher up and it should be resolved nicely.

27. Das G says:

If I’m at the gym the last thing I want to hear is annoying Tony Horton yapping the whole time from some guys laptop. I’ve done p90x before, and know that once you’ve done the individual workout a couple of times, you don’t need to see what’s going on. I think the OP should just rip it to an mp3 player and listen. Then, he can do the workout without having to worry about bothering others or breaking any gym policies.

On a side note, as goofy as I felt doing that program, there’s no way I’d ever do it in front of anyone. To each his own I guess.

28. Shouhdes says:

Yea, I failed that poll question. Did not immediatly understand what it was asking until it showed the results.

29. kokathy says:

It all really depends on what his gym contract says. If it says something to the effect of no outside trainers or workout devices (insert legal mumbo jumbo) then he’s screwed. I would never have the nerve to bring a workout video to the gym and do that video. I feel like a moron doing videos, why look like a moron in public when I don’t have to.

30. agold says:

I don’t know that much about P90x, but I do think that he should be able to follow whatever routine he wants as long as it’s not disturbing other members and his laptop isn’t in the way of anyone. Maybe he can’t work out at home for whatever reason – when I lived on the 2nd floor I couldn’t do my workout videos at home.

31. sprocket79 says:

I go to 24 Hour Fitness and have seen a few people with their laptops out following videos. I was actually with my trainer once when we saw one of these people and we were trying to figure out what video the person was doing.

If there’s nothing in the printed contract or rules about laptops, then I say more power to the video users. Let ‘em do what they want. As long as they don’t have the volume up where it’s bothering other people and they don’t complain if their laptop gets broken, then I don’t have issues with them.

32. Siendra says:

Their argument is right on the money. The gym should have the right to bar people from bringing in workout videos that are in direct competition with their own classes and training services. Don’t like it? Vote with your wallet and go someplace else.

33. NittanyWildcat says:

I can understand the gym’s point of view, but for different reasons. Some clown carrying around a laptop can be distracting to others that are working out around him. Then again, the people who make phone calls and text their friends while “working out” is just as bad.
    The camera is just a terrible excuse to fall on and the competing services argument is not valid due to the fact that you are paying for the use of the equipment. Some people don’t want, can’t afford personal training sessions.
    That being said, if he is out of the way and the sound is off, let the guy do what he wants, after all he is paying to use their facilities.

34. daedalus34r says:

Honestly, I blame the OP. The guy isn’t even trying.

I got to Lifetime Fitness. I’ve done p90 routines there plenty of times. Wanna know how?

I just wrote down the exercises in my workout journal and just read off it.

The gym is no place for laptops or other equipment like that, way too easy for it to get damaged considering how busy it is.