Colleges Are Selling Bathroom Stall Naming Rights

For decades, names affixed to college bathrooms have adhered to the time-honored tradition of vindictive dudes etching names and numbers of their exes on stall walls. Now the institutions are making the bathroom naming thing part of official fundraising efforts by affixing monikers of donors to the places where some of the deepest thought on campus takes place.

Inside Higher Ed rounds up several instances in which colleges are selling naming rights to bathrooms. Harvard Law School and Colorado have gone through with it, while the University of Pennsylvania lined a bathroom with plaques commissioned by a donor.

Not all bathroom-naming efforts have been successful. MIT deemed the possibility inappropriate years ago, turning down an offer from a former student who found a taker in Colorado. And Dixie State College tried and failed with the practice in an effort to save a musical theater troupe.

With the costs of running institutions of higher learning always escalating, it’s tough to blame fundraisers for looking for new ways to raise money. The bathroom naming rights sector seems to be flush with possibilities.

Well Endowed [Inside Higher Ed]

Comments

1. rlmiller007 says:

They’d make more money if they put it on the toilet paper.

2. polishhillbilly says:

You can buy naming rights to a State Game area in Arkansas for $40K
    or so I’m told….

3. Cat says:

Seems somehow appropriate, since higher education in the US is in the shitter.

“The Dick Cheney Memorial Outhouse at Yale University”. Has a nice ring to it, don’t you think?

• u1itn0w2day says:

Can’t let that wasted space be go down the drain with everything else.

• Skipweasel says:

Watch how quickly it gets dropped when some poor kid kills themselves in the Megacorp Cubible.

• u1itn0w2day says:

They should put a small drop down table like on an airplane on the interior of the stall doors and charge 25 cents just to drop it down.

4. elangomatt says:

I work for a college. We don’t want to raise fees any more than the students want fees increased. Our budgets are getting squeezed hard by the governments that fund us. Less money coming in from the state and in my case, the state is late sending the checks pretty much 100% of the time. It isn’t hard to believe that the colleges are trying to find creative ways of increasing the incoming money coming in without having to charge it all to the students.

• Darury says:

“I’ll admit that there is probably plenty of wasteful spending in a lot of colleges, but that doesn’t mean that we can just tighten our belts and make due either.”

You don’t see the irony there do you? And you mean to tell me that funding has dropped by roughly 400% over the last 25 years? Because that’s what tuition has gone up.

It’s amazing what happens when you put a basically unlimited amount of cash in front of a business and give the debtor no recourse to escape it. Which is what the feds have effectively done with student loans.

5. rpm773 says:

If funds are low, wouldn’t it be better in the long run to just can the “professor” who teaches underwater basket weaving?

Or, if you can’t fire him, frame him in some sort of grades-for-handjobs scandal…

• Cat says:

…frame him in some sort of grades-for-handjobs scandal…

Just make him a football coach, and let nature take its course.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I wanted to take a course in underwater basket weaving. It sounds like a lot of fun, and I did a pretty good job when I had to make a basket during a school field trip to the RenFest.

6. winstonthorne says:

Huh. I thought colleges raised money by inflating tuition and padding their faculty rosters with overworked, underpaid adjunct professors.*

* I have nothing against adjuncts themselves – in fact, some of the best professors I had were part-timers, including my MIS teacher to whom I refer exclusively as the Most Helpful Man Alive (note the caps – yeah, he was that good). This is more a comment on the entitled “star” professors whose insane prima donna tactics contribute to the aforementioned tuition-jacking.

7. Flik says:

“Hold on a sec, man — I gotta go take a really big Best Buy.”

Yeah, that’d work.

8. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

“This stall has been provided to you by Major League Baseball. Please, no upper deckers.”

9. Straspey says:

Actually, somebody has already jumped at the opportunity to have a bathroom stall named after him…

This Stall Was Made Possible By A Generous Donation From Senator Larry Craig

Oh yeah — my foot’s-a-tappin’

• winstonthorne says:

The good senator’s favorite song:

These boots are made for tappin’
      That’s just what they’ll do
      Either I’m asking for TP
      Or else I wanna screw

10. Cat says:

Send a letter the the CEO of every poorly behaved financial institution, and enclose a photo of a very nasty stall.

“Dear Mr. CEO,
    Please make a large donation to our school, or we will be forced to name this stall in your honor”

11. HogwartsProfessor says:

Would be nice to put something to read in there.

12. Dan T. says:

They could name one of the postseason college football games the “Ti-D-Bol”.

13. dush says:

I know, you could pay to put a Company name down in the toilet bowl.

14. RandomHookup says:

Old news. Didn’t anyone watch “The Green Berets”?

15. TinaBringMeTheAx says:

In college we already had names for certain parts of the bathrooms. My favorite was the Dean Anderson Glory Hole.

Good times!

16. shthar says:

Send me the list of buyers.

Cause they can be easily fooled.

I mean, if they’ll buy something from a Dana Carvey movie…

17. D007H says:

“This bathroom was brought to you by Brawndo the Thirst Mutilator- drink Brawndo instead of toilet water”