How To Make Mustard Stains Vanish

There must be some special property about white shirts that makes them attract mustard from hot dogs munched on lunch breaks. In order to avoid having to get rid of a stained shirt, you need to do your best to eliminate the damage.

Housekeeping Here recommends starting by scraping away as much of the mustard as you can while the stain is still fresh. Next, spray the area with alcohol and scrub it with a brush before throwing it in the wash. You can also treat the stain with ammonia and vinegar.

Since none of these tips will help you when you’re on the go, consider keeping an extra pair of clothes in your vehicle — or even at your desk at work — in case you ever suffer an embarrassing spill and need to change in order to save face.

Mustard Stain Removal – Tips To Remove A Mustard Stain [Housekeeping Here]

Comments

1. pop top says:

Are mustard stains so awful that you need an incredibly specific stain-removing regimen for them?

• mauispiderweb says:

Only when there’s nothing else to post about, apparently.

• Dallas_shopper says:

A lot of the pricey “artisan” mustards won’t stain clothing all that badly, but regular yellow mustard will because it contains turmeric. I have a lot of success treating mustard stains with a Tide pen if I’m at work or Resolve if I’m not.

• katarzyna says:

Yeah, they can be, especially yellow mustard.

2. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

I utilize the suck on the mustard spot until you’ve sucked every mustardy goodness particle off of it.

3. Cat says:

I can find no reason why only one editor is posting today… Is there a holiday somewhere that I don’t know about? I checked 2012 holidays, Tu B’Shevat is the 7th, but today… nothing.

4. Cat says:

Since the only use for mustard is on hot dogs / sausage – just don’t eat hot dogss or sausages.

5. neilb says:

Photo comment: I got about a dozen mustards from our local awesome food store.
    Bertman mustard was the best find and the most favored by my children.
    You remove a Bertman mustard stain by eating it.

6. fruvous says:

My solution: Don’t use mustard!

7. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Suspecting he was in over his head, he quietly removed his Colt .45 from his hip holster, noticing briefly the reflective gleam off the high polish of the slide. He began a slow and methodical journey between the maze-like rows of crates, careful to listen for the the heavy footsteps of the guards. He wondered to himself what they hell they were shipping. He had ruled out drugs back on the docks, and he knew the family only dabbled in gun running, and certainly nothing that would require this level of security. The four guards he counted were all carrying high powered H&K assault rifles and wearing body armor; and by the way they carried themselves, they were definitely professionals.

As he approached the back of the warehouse, he noticed one of the guards sitting at a folding table, in front of a large crate with an electronic lock on it. This had to be what they were guarding. He knew this would be his only chance to inspect it. The guard was preoccupied with a cup of coffee and a magazine. Sam took the opportunity and slipped off to a corner, and then worked his way along the wall, out of sight from the sitting guard. He crept in close behind, and deftly placed the unsuspecting guard in a sleeper hold, muffling any sounds he made. After listening for the other guards he knew he had not attracted any attention. He looked at the crate, and spotted a card slot on it. The unconscious man at his feet luckily had a card clipped to his belt. After relieving him of his key, Sam slipped the card through the slot, and heard the sound of a hermetic seal being broken, and he felt some cold substance leak out and splash on his pants. The sudden de-pressurization of the crate had ejected a small bit of unidentified liquid. Opening the crate more fully, he came to the sudden realization of the contents and their purpose. ‘Dear God’ he thought to himself. This was the mustard of the Third Reich, and now it had stained his pair of lucky pants.

• levelone says:

A++++++++++++++++++++ Would read again.

• McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

I suppose we have to buy the book now to find out how he removed the Nazi Mustard.

• Coffee says:

It was a rainy day, which, considering Lydia’s mood, was not surprising. The dampness had seeped into the plants outside, the ground, the walls of the house…everything was was cold, wet, and grey. The sun’s warmth was just a memory, its light shining through Gary’s tawny hair – giving him a halo like an angel – a fragment of some half-remembered dream. His smile…

Stop it, Lydia. He’s gone, and he’ll never come back. That’s your fault; you took him for granted and ruined the best thing that ever happened to you. Stupid.

Sighing, she pushed the covers away. They were a tangled mess, as she had not bothered to make the bed in some time, and the sheets twisted in a coiled bunch around her ankles as if begging her to stay just a few minutes, a few hours, a few days longer.

No…I need to get over this. I need to be strong, to stop feeling sorry for myself. But he’s gone…shut up…just shut up and do something. Eat something. That’s a start.

Ambling into the kitchen, Lydia wrinkled her nose. She was never hungry these days, and her already slender figure was beginning to look emaciated. Her mother was worried and had threatened to call help if she didn’t start eating.

Two slices of white bread. Some cheddar cheese. Bologna, mustard, and mayonnaise. Hardly appetizing, but then again, everything tasted like ashes in her mouth these days. The mustard, almost gone, required quite a bit of shaking to free the condiment from the bottle.

Shake. Shake. Shake.

An tiny explosion of yellow shot out of the plastic container, spraying the front of Lydia’s white dressing gown. Gary had given the gown to Lydia as a gift two years ago. He’d said she was beautiful when she slept. That the white silk of the gown made her look like an angel.

This was too much.

Swallowing a sob, Lydia grabbed a towel and scraped frantically at the front of her gown, but the stain only spread. And spread. Like a yellow flower blooming in a field of white. A field of white. Hand shaking, she set down the towel.

Lydia turned toward the bathroom, walked in mechanically, opened the mirrored cabinet, and pulled out a jar full of pills.

Her hand had stopped shaking.

8. ahecht says:

Seriously Phil, lay off on the dubious self-help blogspam. If it’s not a consumer issue, just don’t post it. 8 out of the last 10 Phil posts have been reposting advice from a random blog, not consumer issues.

9. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Thisis why I wear a bib. No, really, a real bib that velcros behind my neck. I wear my food, and I admit this, and while I try to be careful, I use a bib at lunch time so I don’t spend the afternoono trying to hid stains on my shirts at work.

• Don't Bother says:

Afternoono is my favorite part of the day.

Seriously though, I’m clumsy when I eat too. I can’t help but get something on my shirt front or lap… : /

• Cat says:

My solution: a Snuggie made of vinyl.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Yes, I’ve often thought I should just wear a rain slicker to make things easier. If something misses the bib, it ends up on my pants!

10. Nobby says:

Awesome! Now I can make my wife-beaters look a bit more presentable on casual Fridays.

11. Get A Amberlance says:

TIDE PEN!!!

12. Get A Amberlance says:

TIDE PEN!!!

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

I try not to have anything with marinara sauce when I’m wearing a white shirt either. That stuff is DEADLY.

14. Night Cheese says:

Take it to the cleaners in Sunnydale, Ca.

15. arualflower says:

Protip: Don’t eat mustard, it is disgusting.