Anti-Gay Group Tells JCPenney To Fire New Spokeswoman Ellen DeGeneres

Conservative group OneMillionMoms.com, an offshoot of the American Family Association, doesn’t like that JCPenney has hired Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokeswoman. Not because of her dance moves or jokes on her talk show, but because she’s gay.

The L.A. Times says the Tupelo, Miss. group posted a statement on their website about the brand’s hiring of DeGeneres, as part of their company’s rejuvenation plan.

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families,” the group wrote on its website. “More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war, then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.”

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is already fighting back against the anti-gay sentiments, posting their own statement from senior official Herndon Graddick.

“While designated hate groups try to start ‘culture wars,’ it’s clear that a vast majority of Americans today support Ellen as well as their LGBT friends and family members. Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LGBT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture.”

JCPenney has been very active in their re-branding lately, redesigning its logo, retooling their annual sales into an everyday bargain situation the hiring of DeGeneres, announced last week on her talk show, is part of that campaign.

Anti-gay group slams J.C. Penney for hiring Ellen DeGeneres [L.A. Times]

Comments

1. FreeMarketFan says:

If JCP wants to troll they could “Replace” her with Neil Patrick Harris.

Seriously, they are miffed with Ellen? She’s funny and never really seems to come across as someone pushing a message or agenda. I could see if JCP had Big Gay Al as their spokesman or something – but it’s Ellen.

• Tom the Nice Adman says:

Brilliant.

• Cat says:

I don’t think Ellen is very funny or attractive, but what do I know? Someone must like her.

As a flaming heterosexual, however, I could totally get onboard with Big Gay Al as spokesman. I could also get behind Mr. Slave, too.

(mmm, that didn’t come out right, did it?)

• Jules Noctambule says:

‘(mmm, that didn’t come out right, did it?)’

Must. . .not. . .say. . .’That’s what he said!’

• DariusC says:

“Hey Mr. Slave!” “Jethuth Chritht!”

• winstonthorne says:

You seem confused – the reason this hubbub is happening is because the only people who shop at JCP are little old ladies.* While I find little old ladies adorable, that demographic isn’t known for its progressive attitude.

*If you shop there and are not a little old lady, my apologies – this comment is based on my personal observations of the customer group which I see on my walk through JCP to reach the rest of the mall. Their stores and products are hopelessly dated, but you can usually park right up near the door without a problem, if you don’t mind parking next to a (crooked) 1989 Oldsmobile land yacht with a AAA bumper sticker.

• Don't Bother says:

I agree–Ellen is almost neutral when it comes to how much she pushes an agenda. I don’t think I know anyone, “conservative” or otherwise, who finds her annoying/preachy/unlikable. I like her, and many conservative moms I know like her too. Go figure.

If she were like Rosie O’Donnell, I could see the issue with some people. Her whole appeal went in the toilet when she raged against people who had different views than her own.

• Cat says:

I am one who finds her annoying//unlikable. But not preachy.

2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

• Don't Bother says:

It’s true,though. Most people I know who fit into the mold of “conservative Christian” either like her or are apathetic. I have never met someone in real life dislike her because she’s gay.

• Jawaka says:

Same here. I can’t stand her but it really has nothing to do with her sexual orientation.

For some reason she reminds me of a female Jerry Seinfeld minus the talent.

• MaytagRepairman says:

Ellen funny? Go sit in the corner. You are in time out.

Neil is ok but his horny single guy schtick is getting old and he should avoid it if he were to become their spokesperson.

• RandomHookup says:

Showtime selected her as the “Funniest Person in America” in 1982, so it must be true.

• MaytagRepairman says:

Oh yes, that was a dry spell for comedy. We didn’t get Eddie Murphy Delirious until the following year.

• Ihateyourhighhorse says:

You really don’t think she is funny?

Seriously? Have you ever listened to her comedy? Its real, it is true and funny unlike a lot of “Comedians” today.

You need your sense of humor evaluated….or reissued.

• JollehRoger says:

I wish they would. NPH seems to be a very funny guy and I respect him. Ellen Degeneres has never been nor will she ever be funny. She’s just annoying and quite honestly there’s nothing more annoying than an person who thinks they are funny when they’re not.

2. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Ellen is gay? Damn. I have to cross her off my list of “Future-Ex-Mrs. GitEmSteveDave” list now. Next up is Rachel Maddow.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

The more we give them notice, the more it fuels their fire.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Wait, give who notice? Guess I’m not catching your message here.

• MMD says:

I think Loias means that Consumerist is bringing more attention to the group by publicizing this story.

*sigh* I wish ignoring them would make them go away…

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Ah now I see it. Yeah ignoring it never works because entropy only occurs in a closed system. These kinds of dumb people keep making more dumb people.

• SkokieGuy says:

Mixed emotions about your statement. Will the average reasonable person laugh at their claims, yet become more educated that hate and LGBT bigotry still exists?

I live in Illinois where civil unions are legal. I have many friends who can’t understand why LGBT people are still fighting for their rights.

This may spur some conversations.

But I too, hate to give vile groups publicity, (i.e. the Koran burning “minister”, the “God hates fags” jerks, etc.)

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

In theory, yes, it’s best to ignore the idiots, but now I am curious whether JCPenny is a company I want to support with my hard-earned money. I was thinking of checking out their prices now that you don’t have to hunt for sales, but I think I will wait to see how they respond to the bigots.

• kc2idf says:

Good business sense would dictate that they ignore them. It would be a properly calculated move on JCP’s part, because they need to decide, from the small portion of their customer base that gives a damn about it, which is bigger: those who would be offended by them booting her, or those that would be offended by not booting her. I think (and I admit I may be biased) that the segment that would be offended by them booting her is the larger of the two, and so the sound business decision would be to ignore them.

A more fun response, however unlikely, would be for them to tell the anti-gay douchenozzles to get stuffed. Ain’t happening, though.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Oh, I agree. I meant that I’m glad this story got some play, because I don’t read entertainment news, so if they replaced her with some other celeb, I might never have known. Now I know that there’s something to learn about JCP in how they respond to this.

• noramine says:

I emailed them, imploring them to vote with conscience and not a small group of bigots who think they can control the world. I reminded them that the positive PR they’d get from keeping her (I mean did you see the backlash Lowes got when they killed their Muslim America ad campaign?) would definitely bring in new customers, and that the power of the internet was strong and that the internet, mostly, hates bigotry. They responded the next day thanking me for my concerns and stating that their “former employee, Ellen D,” was in no danger of being former again any time soon. So I’m pretty sure they either have a good business sense or a good conscience inside at the upper levels.

4. drhmai says:

“Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the culture war” = “Unless they think like us”

• sirwired says:

This obvious Logic FAIL was the first thing I noticed too.

• david.c says:

Wait .. you actually think JCP didn’t hire ED because she was GAY?

I think that is the point. Typically you hire a spokesperson that resonates with either their core customers, or to customers they want.

Obviously ED doesn’t resonate with their core customers … and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to find 100 other celebs that would resonate more with their core customers.

JCP really can’t complain about the GAY card on this one as they played it first … regardless of whether it was overt or not.

• Rocket says:

“JCP really can’t complain about the GAY card on this one as they played it first”

Huh, no one’s playing the “Gay Card” here. JCP hired an actress (who gives a shit if she’s gay), and a group of bigots (a hate group) complained. JCP can hire whoever they want, and the AFA can shove it.

• Conformist138 says:

So, according to you, hiring a gay person is playing the gay card… so, hiring a black person will be playing the race card? hiring a woman is the gender card?

From now on, straight white men only as the default, anything else is a STATEMENT. /s

• red says:

Um…Ellen DeGeneres is also the host of a popular daytime talk show, is down to earth, funny, and would probably be willing to be a part of any type of ad campaign (and pull it off). She can also be serious if JCP addresses social issues or the such.Besides being gay, she is probably the LEAST controversial spokesperson and the most flexible. I dont see any scandals in her future unlke many of our young actressess today. Nor does she have any sort of weird past.

But thats cool, if you just see Ellen DeGeneres and think “…gay” as her defining aspect, thats your problem. I guess JCP doesn’t want to sell to black people either? they played the race card first, right?

5. MMD says:

To-do list for today:

- Donate to Planned Parenthood
    – DVR Ellen’s show

What else can I do to counteract ultra-conservatives today?

6. SkokieGuy says:

Dear One Million Moms. Please submit your vaginas and complete sexual histories for us to review and judge, because clearly that is what you are doing.

Out of curiosity, did you ask your web developers, marketing people and all employee and volunteers of your organization exactly what they do with their genitals, and what they think about doing?

If you haven’t you might have unwittingly accepted someone who masturbates or uses birth control – OMG!

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

I

7. dolemite says:

Most of their customers might be traditional, but I’m betting the bulk of them aren’t bigots. I think they are getting really worried. They can’t be biased against gender or color anymore, and genetic sexual preference is their last great bastion of conservative bigotry.

Instead of getting riled up at people that have different sexual preferences that only want the same rights as everyone else, why don’t these groups go after the KKK or corrupt politicians or something? Those are acceptable things to be outraged against.

• Rocket says:

Because the AFA is pretty much the KKK. They are labeled as a “hate group” by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

8. AngryK9 says:

Just tell all the kids that Ellen was the voice of Dory in Finding Nemo….

9. Rocket says:

The “American Family Association” needs to die in a fire, I hate those assholes.

10. ARP says:

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families”

So, they also should not have any minority as a spokesperson because most families are white?

11. stevenpdx says:

I’m no fan of Ellen (I don’t find her funny or interesting), but what this onemillionmoms organization is doing disgusts me. JC Penney IS trying to be neutral, by selecting a spokesperson without regard to her sexual orientation.

• david.c says:

Lol … that’s naive at best.

JCP choose ED because she was GAY to appeal to that demographic. If you think anything less then I have a bridge to sell you … btw it’s in Brooklyn.

• little stripes says:

Uh, are you familiar with JCP’s demographic? They didn’t choose her because she is gay, but because she is a popular, funny TV host and comedienne.

• sirwired says:

And I’m sure that every single one of the people that watch her daytime talk show (or the movies she’s been in) are just watching it because she’s gay. I didn’t know we HAD that many stay-at-home lesbians!

• noramine says:

They chose her, in part, because she used to work in their organization before she was famous.

12. Astranger says:

Neutral in the culture war apparently means “will not hire a gay person”. Doesn’t sound too neutral to me.

13. Zelgadis says:

JCP is being neutral in the culture war. They hired a spokesperson because she’s popular, not because she’s gay. It’s the OMM that’s turning it into a culture war.

14. GMFish says:

More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly….

Great, the problem is solved. What’s the group complaining about?

Seriously, I love how conservatives demand free market approaches, unless they don’t. That high level of consistency is really endearing.

• JMH says:

Wow, I didn’t even pick up on that particular irony until you pointed it out.

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

That…I…but…

How have I never noticed that? Brilliant observation!

(Seriously, no sarcasm intended.)

• Bsamm09 says:

Did I miss something here? When did the government get involved?

How is this not a free market approach? This is where the disconnect is. Free markets don’t mean that a business can do whatever it wants. These are private citizens (customers) calling on a company to change something with no government intervention. This is how you attempt to change company policy. You may not agree with them (I don’t either BTW) but your consistency statement is false.

• BobOki says:

Comment of the day. I think you just found out just how full of crap these people are.

15. JohnDeere says:

evil religious twats!!!

16. Dont lump me into your 99%! says:

If they dont like it, they should just not shop there and stfu.

I get so sick of these groups trying to tell everybody how to be/what to do/what not to do. Its called get a freaking life, and stop worrying about everybody else so damn much.

17. Rocket says:

OneMillionMoms.com needs to mind their own fucking business. I fucking hate those whores. I don’t care what it is, but if they’re against it, I’m for it.

18. Costner says:

A bigoted group based in Mississippi? Who would have guessed?

I was going to go shopping tonight anyway as I need to pick up a few clothing items. Because of this story, and because JCP has streamlined their sale pricing, I will now make a point to go there first.

Thanks OneMillionMorons.com for letting me know where I can find a store that doesn’t cater to hate or threats from hate-supporting groups!

• jacobs cows says:

So you are fine to be biggoted against Southenors.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

Please look up the definition of bigoted; I don’t think it means what you think it means.

• Kuri says:

He’s not bigoted against southerners, he’s bigoted against idiots who happen to be from the south.

19. Hi_Hello says:

i never understood why female are against female lesbian… it’s not like they have a chance with them whether they are gay or straight.

20. Tom the Nice Adman says:

One Million Morons

21. GearheadGeek says:

This is almost enough to make me want to go to JCPenney.

Just yesterday I read that “Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact” (i.e. stupid people are more likely to be haters.)

It’s nice to find evidence that supports *MY* preconceptions. ;)

22. BorkBorkBork says:

I fail to see how Ellen DeGeneres is destroying the families of OneMillionMoms any more than the heterosexuals on Jersey Shore, Toddlers & Tiaras, etc…

• ellemdee says:

Good point. I don’t think they would have protested this loudly if they’d hired Snooki as their spokesperson. They probably think Toddlers & Tiaras teaches girls how to be good little southern belles…the higher the hair, the closer to God!

23. Doubting thomas says:

JC Penny shouldn’t drop her because she is gay. They should drop her because she is annoying, not funny, and so neurotic that it is actually painful to watch her.

By the way, another left leaning article by MaryBeth. Welcome to MSNBConsumer.

• AstroPig7 says:

Right, because consumer issues involving any political topics should be ignored altogether.

• dolemite says:

I’m not seeing the left-leaning in this. She states facts of the situation. “They are against her because she is gay”, then a bunch of quotes and facts.

• Talmonis says:

It’s ok, most of those on the right only see things that are remotely supportive of anything non-white, non-christian, non-heterosexual or non-‘murican as being “left”, regardless of context. It’s easy to get confused at the things they say.

• little stripes says:

I’m tired of civil rights being seen as a “liberal” thing. It should be a HUMAN thing. Conservative or not, you shouldn’t promote bigotry. Be a fucking human.

24. MonkeyMonk says:

Let’s see if this passes the test:

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring a black spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are white families,” the group wrote on its website. “More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the race war, then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.”

Nope.

• galm666 says:

Or this:

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring a female spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are men,” the group wrote on its website. “More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the gender war, then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.”

• Coffee Fiend says:

Or even this:

“Funny that J.C. Penney thinks hiring an illegal immigrant spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are legal American citizens,” the group wrote on its website. “More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly. Unless J.C. Penney decides to be neutral in the immigration war, then their brand transformation will be unsuccessful.”

25. SkokieGuy says:

I haven’t shopped in a JCP in years, but thank you Mom’s, I am shopping there this weekend.

So do tell, how many starving children have you fed? How many homeless young mothers have you housed? Other than spewing hatred and obsessing about the imagined sex lives of others, what have you done to make the world a better place?

26. Cicadymn says:

Haha these comments are hilarious. How dare they have their own morals! How dare they push their own morals on other people! Now shut up and sit down as I push MY morals that are TOTALLY superior because I SAID SO down your throat!

I don’t even agree with them. I’m a fan of Ellen. But the sheer hate, vile, and negativity coming from these comments is astounding, especially from people who claim to be so open minded. (I’m coming to expect these type of hate filled comment sections from Mary Beth articles)

So who’s hate should I listen to? The ones who dislike others sexuality? Or the ones who dislike others for having their own opinion on sexuality?

• Costner says:

How about the ones who just treat all humans as humans and don’t try to determine those who are acceptable to endorse a product and those who aren’t based upon race, color, creed, sex, religion, or sexual preference?

Had they said they didn’t like her because she isn’t funny or isn’t talented that is one thing, but they are basically saying “hey we don’t like her sexual preference and therefore we demand she be removed as spokesperson”.

That is bigotry… so why should anyone support them? This isn’t about whether or not Ellen practices homosexuality…. this is simply because she is a homosexual.

• AstroPig7 says:

Have you ever read or listened to AFA material? The level of hatred they spew is nothing compared to the emotional reactions I see in this comment thread. By the way, where are you actually seeing the level of hatred you’ve described? Are you imagining posts?

• AstroPig7 says:

Damn, that should have been the other way around. This thread is nothing compared to their hatred. Ugh!

• dolemite says:

“Pushing morals” and “bigotry” are 2 completely different things. Sure, they can feel however they want. They can worship whatever they want. Heck, they can even boycott whatever store they want. But don’t call it “being moral” when it’s simply bigotry, no different from racism or gender bias.

• SkokieGuy says:

“How dare they have their own morals” How amusing. Telling me how to live my life has nothing to do with their own morals. They are welcome to not engage in gay or lesbian sex if their morals do not approve, but their “own” morality has not place telling other consenting adults how to live.

In language you might be able to comprehend – If I get punched in the face by a bully, I am going to punch back. That’s not attack, that’s defense.

More importantly, cloaking discrimination as “values” or “morals” and wrapping it in the bible or flag, does not automatically make it acceptable. Shall we continue killing firstborns, owning slaves, genital mutilation, honor killings?

• Rocket says:

Morals? The AFA doesn’t have morals. They just hate gay people, that’s it. If they even see a gay person, they start complaining. The are labeled a hate group by the SPLC. Their complaint makes no sense, they aren’t pushing morals, they’re just being assholes.

• PunditGuy says:

Getting kinda tired of the “intolerance of intolerance is intolerance” bull. False equivalency FTL.

• Rocket says:

“How dare they have their own morals! How dare they push their own morals on other people! Now shut up and sit down as I push MY morals that are TOTALLY superior because I SAID SO down your throat!”

Is that sarcasm?

• MMD says:

Come back after you’ve learned what the word bigotry means. Because that’s what you’re defending here.

• little stripes says:

you’re one of those “tolerate bigotry” people aren’t you? Ew.

• Jayrandom says:

I don’t think anyone is saying that AFA shouldn’t be allowed to make pronouncements or call for boycotts or get really angry in general (and those that do are falsely superior hypocrites), just that they’re wrong for doing so. Just because other groups are allowed to say things you don’t like, doesn’t mean you have to like it (or that they have to like you saying you don’t like it, ad infinitum) or keep quiet about not liking it.

Some of these comments are pretty misdirected in their hate towards the southern US, which is unfortunate. Ellen, for instance, is a Southerner and probably not too opposed to Ellen being named the JCP spokesperson.

27. axhandler1 says:

“More sales will be lost than gained unless they replace their spokesperson quickly.”

And why, exactly, is this a concern of OneMillionMoms? Are they JCP shareholders, perhaps? Recently aquired a controlling interest in JCP? Oh wait, it has nothing to do with them whatsoever, besides shopping there? Then STFU and get on with your life. Don’t like it? Don’t shop there.

28. ret3 says:

More, please. The louder they shout when their backward notions are challenged, the more reasonable people will realize that the values-formerly-known-as-“family” are not ones that most support. Then we might settle on a better set of values based on not being jerks.

29. Olivia Neutron-Bomb says:

Yes, radical lesbian Ellen Degeneres has also been host of Universe of Energy: Ellen’s Energy Adventure at Epcot Center in Orlando since 1996, and just look at how Disney’s ticket sales there have plummeted since.

Oh, they haven’t? Never mind then.

• PunditGuy says:

Disney is a special exception in the minds of all but the most conscientious bigots. I loved it back in the day when parents who hate teh gayz would hum along to the Lion King soundtrack, completely oblivious to the sweet sound of irony.

• Round-Eye §ñ‰∫∫„ÅØ„Ç≥„É≥„Çπ„Éû„É™„ÉÉ„Çπ„Éà„ÅåÂ•Ω„Åç„Åß„Åô„ÄÇ says:

Can you explain that? I’m curious to know about how the Lion King fits into the “Gay Agenda” that conservative Christians seem to push and that I, as a gay man, am completely oblivious to. This should be interesting…

30. Actionable Mango says:

There is no such thing as bad publicity! I wonder if JCP will keep accidentally doing things that turn out to be controversial.

• Rocket says:

“that turn out to be controversial”

It’s only ‘controversial’ to this one group of morons from the deep south. A group no one gives a shit about.

• blueman says:

There is no such thing as bad publicity???

31. IT-Princess: I work in IT, you owe me $1 says:

I think the poll in the linked article speaks nicely to the thoughts of around 1000 people.

32. May contain snark says:

I pray to no specific deity that there aren’t actually one million moms who share this view.

33. Rick Sphinx says:

Stupidity, there is no cure. Ellen is a funny, big-hearted person who only wants to bring happiness into peoples lives. OneMillionMoms deserves no attention in this matter, which is probably the only reason they are making a point of it, self publicity. We need more happiness like Ellen brings, not problems like these “nothing better to do with their time” people. TO OneMillionMoms, want to make the world a better place, go give some food to a homeless person, or better yet, shelter and a new start of life. Yes, Ellen will make a lot of money doing the JCP ad’s, but I she will probably take a large portion of that, and do good things with it.

34. galm666 says:

“JCPenney, you should violate any number of discrimination laws that we don’t care about because we don’t like gay people because of some not-well-interpreted Bible verses and because someone told us gay people are bad and FIRE ELLEN, also we don’t care about run-on-sentences!”

35. Dallas_shopper says:

Anti-gay prejudice is so stupid.

36. gman863 says:

Corrected statement:

“More sales will be lost than gained unless they downscale their merchandise quickly. Unless J.C. Penny decides to fill their stores with polyester stretch pants and mom jeans, holy roller Nazi moms will continue to look at Walmart as their only source of clothing.”

37. rockelscorcho says:

Ellen is threatening our marriage! Stop it Ellen it! She’s like a monster! All I want to do, as one of a million moms, is go to McDonalds with my horrible children and cry as I stuff my face with a McDouble (cause it’s healthy!), while my child runs around in the bacteria infested indoor play pen! Afterwards, I want to go to JCPenny to buy a weight loss machine and yell at my children “Get down from there!” After that, I want to go home and contemplate suicide. The last thing I need is Ellen trying to ruin my marriage by talking on a television. Damn you..have you no shame!

38. josephpr says:

Did they protest Maybelline as well? Isn’t she their spokesperson? I consider that company and JCP real middle-America, middle-of-the-road companies, and if they think it is time to be accomodating (or more likely, their research has found most Americans to be so), maybe it’s time for this group to face progress.

39. cruiseyone says:

Let me put it this way…

If JCP bows to this ridiculous pressure to jetison Ellen DeGeneres, I will never set foot in a JCP ever again, and since they’re rolling out their brand new image as we speak, I’m not sure they want a scandal right now.

They chose wisely. Have the courage to stand by their convictions and not be swayed by these ultra-conservative whack-jobs.

• Dallas_shopper says:

I’ve been boycotting Lowe’s ever since they pulled their advertising from All-American Muslim under pressure from similar idiots.

If JCP bows to these morons, I will add them to the list right under Lowe’s.

40. TBGBoodler says:

I’m going to start a group called Onehundredmillionliberals.com.

If I say my group is 100 million strong that makes it so, right?

41. Jedana says:

If they drop her, then we’ll stop shopping at JCP. The word has already gone out to family and friends about stopping donations to the Susan Komen foundation, won’t take but another email to stop the shop there as well.

And no, what we (mi familia) does won’t impact as many people as the Christian groups, but it will make us feel like we’re doing something. Those so-called Christian groups–fark ‘em. Either God loves everyone or noone—you don’t get to pick and choose.

• Kuri says:

And none of this “God loves you ,but hates your ways” BS either. If God truly hated gays AND is all powerful, they wouldn’t be here.

Plus I’m pretty sure said deity is pretty sick of being people telling others who he does and doesn’t like.

42. tz says:

The problem is the in-your-face rude nature of the LGBT movement. Ellen’s compatriots insist on getting up and saying “We’re here, we’re queer, and we’re in your face” while doing something lewd in public, or being insulting like “sister boom-boom”. Is Ellen going to be throwing out condoms to her audience?

Ellen wishes to be halfway out of the closet. Neither being offensive to ordinary Americans – but also not wishing to offend the militants who cheer Ellen as one of them. She cannot be on both sides, and to the extent she has chosen, she has chosen to cast her lot with the militants.

JCP can decide what they want to do, but unless they wish to switch to a much racier line of products – and I don’t mean NASCAR – they should find a more traditional or even neutral spokesperson.

In a discussion on libertarians, Murray Rothbard has several paragraphs and talks about the problems caused: http://www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/ir/Ch16.html – Rothbard as far as I can tell is otherwise neutral on sexual orientation being a libertarian.

Quotes follow:

At another libertarian think-tank, which deals only with strictly economic matters in its actual work, the No. 2 staff member recently took advantage of the No. 1’s vacation to call a staff meeting and to proclaim his gaydom openly to one and all. He then asked the staff’s reactions to his fervent announcement, and later urged No. 1 to fire any staffers who had expressed a lack of sufficient enthusiasm for this development.

Why do pro-family conservatives spend more print worrying about gays than about divorce? Well, for one thing, there are no strident parades of militants of the “divorced movement” marching up Fifth Avenue in New York on “Divorce Pride” day, marching naked and committing sex acts between the varied “divorced” in public, demanding anti-“divorced” discrimination laws, affirmative action for the divorced, “divorced” districts in the legislature, and continuous public affirmation by the non-divorced of the equal or even superior morality of divorce over staying married.

• Rocket says:

> “Divorce Pride” day, marching naked and committing sex acts between the varied “divorced” in public

I’d watch that…

• Dr. Shrinker says:

WTF.

No, seriously. I think it’s time to get the meds adjusted, sir.

And, if gay pride parades are so offensive, then DON’T WATCH. Thank god that heterosexuals don’t flaunt THEIR sexuality constantly, in every form of media, amirite?

• dolemite says:

You know, I keep hearing from “The Right” about gays being all up “in yo face” and whatever, and that’s why it’s ok to be against them, but personally, I’ve never, ever seen it for myself. It seems to me that their problem with gays is that their sexual preferences make conservatives uncomfortable and ashamed, and they are offended that the gay people are proud of themselves, and are NOT ashamed and hiding in closets anymore. Yes, they are “in yo face” about wanting equal rights. That’s kind of the thing about wanting equal rights. You have to make a big stink everywhere you go (including TV, books, social media, etc.) in order to get them. See the civil rights marches and protests. I assure you..once they have the same tax, adoption, visitation, civil union, and cohabitation rights as heterosexuals, they won’t be quite as much in yo face.

• Jules Noctambule says:

Yeah, all those ‘in your face’ gays and lesbians, working their desk jobs, raising their kids, buying groceries, walking the dogs, going to movies, playing frisbee in the park on weekends. Just look at them shoving their ~lifestyle~ down everyone’s throats. Those pesky gays.

• little stripes says:

Why do gay people frighten you so much?

• MikeTastic says:

One of the reasons that “Divorce Pride” doesn’t exist is because it’s currently legal, in all 50 states as far as I know, to get divorced. It is not legal in most states for Gay and Lesbian people to get married in most states.

Also, as far as the comments on the Gay Pride parades… There is just as much debauchery at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, the Dominican Day Parade, the Puerto Rican Day Parade, etc.
      Should we give Irish, Dominican and Puerto Rican people less rights because of it?

• msbask says:

Do you actually even KNOW any gay people?

• RayanneGraff says:

*nudge* Hey, your bigotry is showing.

Do you feel the same about Black Pride? Or Native Pride? They’re pretty ‘in your face’ when it comes to demanding rights too. Gays have suffered unspeakable prejudice & horrific treatment for generations, they have every right to be ‘rude’ to a society that treats them like second-class citizens.

And nothing goes on in a Gay Pride parade that’s any worse than what goes on at Mardi Gras or a St. Patty’s day parade. Cripes.

• Martha Gail says:

What about all the divorce parties that are all the rage right now? How’s that any less in your face?

43. Rick Sphinx says:
  44. SerenityDan says:

Right, because refusing to hire “a gay” is being neutral

• Rocket says:

It is to the AFA. Gays aren’t people to them, and hiring one is taking a job away from “people”. The AFA is a group of horrible horrible people >:O

45. Martha Gail says:

If JCP doesn’t cave, I’d consider shopping there. If they do, it’s crossed off my list of acceptable places forever.

46. RanChan03 says:

Ahh the fact they are from Tupelo, Miss speaks for itself. Bunch of Backwater biblethumpers. With the exception of my friends down there :)

in response to FreeMarketFan, JCP should george takei to do this :) he would give them one for :-p

• darabidduckie says:

I’m from Tupelo, MS, and I agree. I got the heck out of there first chance I could. Granted, I only moved 45 miles West, but I’d hardly heard anything about the AFA or OMM at all since I left.

47. Rick Sphinx says:
  48. Ilovegnomes says:

As someone who is part of a traditional family, I will boycott JCP because I do not support or teach bigotry.

• Ilovegnomes says:

ooops read the article wrong. Time to support JCP for supporting tolerance.

• Rocket says:

JCP hired Ellen, the AFA complained that “traditional families” hate gays, so they shouldn’t have hired a gay.

That’s the tl;dr.

49. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I can understand being appalled by Ellen’s dancing skills…maybe her jokes. But she gets big props for her role in the educational stuff at Epcot in my book, and that fact that she’s gay is irrelevant.

…well, unless you’re SteveDave apparently. Someone let him down easy…

50. Helpful moose is helpful says:

They make no sense. Of course, anyone driven by bigotry and hatred is clearly lacking common sense, but WTF:

So people won’t go to businesses where the spokesperson is not exactly the same as them? And they are implying that ‘traditional families’ are all bigots as well.

In other news, OneMillionBigots.com asks everyone to boycott Geico since most customers aren’t geckos, and to not buy sugary cereals since most customers aren’t tigers.

51. darabidduckie says:

As a person who was born and raised (begrudgingly) in Tupelo, MS, I’m pleased to say that the only people who tend to take the AFA and OMM seriously… are actually in Tupelo, MS.

Really, I moved to a town 45 minutes West of there several years ago, and the only time I hear about them now was during the two or three times where they made fools out of themselves and ended up on The Consumerist.

52. Scamazon says:

Of course OneMillionMoms.com is probably some church group with 100 members of less. If JCP caves into them I say the rest of us should boycott JCP! Seriously everyone should boycott anything OneMillionMoms.com or American Family values or any of those other croc groups supports.

53. cyberbird168 says:

I hope the One Million Moms.com doesn’t have whole bunch of money. Otherwise they might just go ahead and lobby a new law and ban everyone to be employed as long as they are “Not so traditional family minded”.

Unfortunately those “Moms” have kids. I am so afraid years from now, we will have no freedom due to the next generation are parented by those morons.

54. Rocket says:

I emailed JCP, telling them to ignore the AFA and keep Ellen. I got the following response:

“Our recent announcement, rooted in rich heritage, re-imagines every aspect of our business to become America’s favorite store.

We appreciate your feedback and are equally excited to partner with America’s favorite host and former jcpenney associate, Ellen Degeneres, to help tell our story.”

Good job JC Penny :-)

55. Greg Ohio says:

“neutral in the culture war”

Like the Klan.

56. chefboyardee says:

I fully support her for being openly gay and all things related.

But, fire her for coming out in support of a vegan diet for dogs. The woman is obviously an idiot.

• little stripes says:

Everyone makes mistakes. I wouldn’t call her an idiot for this one thing. And her heart is in the right place. She seems like the type of person that would change her mind if the right facts were placed in front of her. I won’t demonize her for something that’s quite honestly, a rather small thing, especially without a whole lot of context from you. Did she mention it in passing? Because I don’t really see her on TV advocating a vegan diet. I’ve never even heard of this before.

57. larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

Sign the petition, use the phone numbers on the following page to call JCP and SUPPORT the choice of Ellen — http://www.glaad.org/standupforellen

58. axiomatic says:

Wow… just wow… OneMillionMoms.com. It’s knuckle draggers’ like you that really make me embarrassed to be an American sometimes.

59. SamiJ says:

Onemillonmoms is not: one millon, made up of moms. It does not speak for moms, or existing JCP cutomers.

60. Jemaine says:

I’m all for Ellen, just get rid of the new “jcp”.

61. Rocket says:

Every time I read an article about the AFA, I get angry, which ruins my mood for the rest of the day. >:O =(

62. gman863 says:

Suzie Orman has to be fuming right about now. Not a single Mom Nazi has posted a protest about her prepaid debit card.

63. ronbo97 says:

Hey OMM: STFU !

64. Darsynia says:

I’m in a ‘traditional family’ and I hate Ellen, but not because she’s gay…

65. shufflemoomin says:

Why do most whackjob groups come from America? How come other countries don’t have groups of idiots like this?

66. BrienBear Thinks Stupidity Defies Logic says:

Aw damnit, I just got 4 shirts from there. Now I gotta go back. NEW CLOTHES FOR THE BEAR! YAY!

67. dush says:

Good grief, why don’t they just be quiet and stop buying from JC Penney if they don’t like it that much. In fact why don’t they try stopping doing business with any company that has a gay employee and see where that gets them. They’ll probably have to suck it up and do business if they want to continue their materialistic consumeristic ways.

That new JC Penney logo reminds me of the failed new GAP logo.

68. OMG_BECKY says:

OMM is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. If you ever want a good laugh, add them on Facebook. They get their panties in a bunch over EVERYTHING. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

69. RayanneGraff says:

I am so sick of fucking cretins using children and “the family” as excuses to promote their bronze-age hatred. Just because a family is traditional(as in mom, dad, & kid/s) doesn’t mean they’re BIGOTS.

These reprehensible bitches need to die in a fire. OMG this makes me so mad (╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

70. dc0845 says:

Fuck OneMillionMoms!

71. HogwartsProfessor says:

I love Ellen and think she’s hilarious but I don’t shop at J.C. Penney. I can’t afford their clothes. Also, it’s hard to find tall sizes.

72. graytotoro says:

Don’t these conservative moms have families to attend to? Surely they wouldn’t use the evil homosexual liberal idea of having the husband care for the family.

73. cspschofield says:

In a perfect world this would be matched by a demand from a Gay & Lesbian group that JCP drop Ms. DeGeneres because she is a talentless embarrassment to the Gay community.

Missed opportunities…

74. Peacock (Now In Extra Crispy) says:

There’s nothing family-friendly about hate. Quite simply.

OneMillionMoms. Yeah, no. Probably a couple of hundred at best.

Oh, go away. Don’t care where you go, as long as you go away.

75. Lance Corvette says:

They need to fire the idiots who made their most recent t.v. commercial campaign, it’s just ladies SCREAMING!!!!! for the entire commercial.

That’s what they need to do.

yeah.

76. frankrizzo:You're locked up in here with me. says:

Screw these assholes and their agenda. Maybe the next time they get their cars fixed it’ll be by a gay mechanic.

77. samandiriel says:

Wouldn’t being “neutral in the culture war” mean that they employers should hire a person *regardless* of their sexual orientation, that being OneMillionMoms’ bone of contention?

78. samandiriel says:

Decided to go to their site and read their posting (http://onemillionmoms.com/IssueDetail.asp?id=438). Amusingly, it has a serious English error: “but even hangs up on them rather than verses hearing their concerns”

Now instead of thinking that education and raising awareness of LBGT issues needs to wait as basic education needs to be focused on first! Attention to detail is an important life skill, especially when presenting material for public consumption. Now THERE’S a value they should be teaching their kids :D

79. samandiriel says:

Also hugely amusing from their site’s article: “Degeneres is not a true representation of the type of families who shop at the retailer.”

Since when is a celebrity a typical representation of ANY consumer? AFAIK typical consumers don’t have yearly incomes above six figures and are asked for autographs where ever they go.

• msbask says:

Well, I’m sure they also believe that Sarah Jessica Parker (who stars in Garnier Nutrisse ads) dyes her hair at home with a $7 box of hair dye, rather than go to a $400 an hour colorist.

80. Broos says:

My mom died on Tuesday of this week, she was 85. Onemillionmoms.com is an absolute disgrace and offensive in the memory of my mother who raised me, a happy gay man.

• little stripes says:

Sorry for your loss, Broos. Thankfully, it appears things are starting to change, and drastically. This is just the bigots realizing that they are losing, so they are fighting anything and everything they can. They know they are losing. And it is glorious.

81. Invalid_User_Name says:

Ellen has had a successful TV show for years now, so this attempt to paint her as some sort of deranged, “bad-for-families” entity is completely misguided. How many of those “traditional” families have a gay son, brother, nephew, sister, cousin, etc? 1MM sounds like a fanatical group promoting propaganda.

82. Worstdaysinceyesterday says:

Sounds like they need to watch more Modern Family to rally understand what traditional families are like these days.

83. Jillia says:

If JCP were to fire Ellen, while i’m more apathetic towards her, I myself will definitely not be shopping there.

“most of their customers are traditional families”

I don’t know if you got the memo lady, but JCP ain’t doin so well, hence the overhaul and repositioning of their branding to attract MORE/OTHER customers. In this day and age, JCP would be stupid to listen to a bunch of bored housewives that are out of touch with reality, who, it seems, haven’t exactly been good for JCP’s bottom line.

84. Rocket says:

JC Penny is going to keep Ellen. They don’t care what OMM says. Go JCP!

85. Kuri says:

I’m trying to wrap my head around how someone can hate a lady who left being a judge on American Idol because she couldn’t bring herself to criticize people.

I mean, leaving American Idol is commendable by itself.

86. bobomb says:

Hory chit…

Okay, I’m more conservative than not, but can these pansies just STFU already? It makes us all look stupid.

87. pamelad says:

Thanks JCPenney or JCP or jcpenney. Hope you resolve the corporate identity problem very quickly. As a public relations professional, I assure you this name confusion will be a problem if it and the logo are not agreed upon and adhered to, top to bottom within the organization, very quickly.

As a customer, I plan to enter one of your brick-and-mortar stores for the first time in a decade. You have a promising and viable new marketing plan with new pricing plan and especially Ellen as spokeswoman.

88. skakh says:

Someone should enlighten the intelligent (?) folks at OneMillionMoms.com! Not all “traditional family” people are “anti-gay”. In fact, I suspect most “traditional families” ( I assume that means a dad, a mom and children all living together.) have no such issues. Knowing the American Family Association is peeved at JCP, assures I will shop at JCP. To be honest I have not often shopped at JCP but I will now. Go Ellen!

89. BrianBeeDavis says:

Mississippi could use some CODA meetings for these folks who derive their own state of well-being based on the perceived behaviors of others. These gals surely have the right to an opinion, however repugnant, but their plan clearly backfires, as Jcpenney just won more business than it lost. It’s not a culture war, it’s a war to stay in business. This business decision was vital. Dear onemillionmoms: you’re not the only people who are alive. Find a real cause.

90. dolphin_8p says:

Too funny that bigots like this still think they are the majority.