Pfizer Recalls Birth Control Pills For Being Potentially Unable To Prevent Pregnancy

Pfizer announced yesterday that they’re recalling around 1 million packets of birth control pills in the U.S. Consumers won’t be harmed if they do take them, but the company warned there may not be enough contraceptive to prevent pregnancy.

The announcement on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration‘s site says those affected by the recall are urged by Pfizer to “begin using a non-hormonal form of contraception immediately.”

The issue involves 14 lots of Lo/Ovral-28 tablets and 14 lots of Norgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol tablets. Pfizer’s investigation found some packs of the pills might contain either an inexact count of inert or active ingredients in the pills. Some blister packs may have pills out of sequence, an important factor when taking a daily oral contraceptive.

The pills are marketed by Akrimax Pharmaceuticals and were shipped nationwide to pharmacies, warehouses and clinics.

The U.S. FDA says if you have the affected product, notify your doctor and return the product to the pharmacy. Check out their announcement for a list of recalled lots.

Pfizer Announces Voluntary Nationwide Recall of Lo/Ovral®-28and Norgestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Tablets Due to Possibility of Inexact Tablet Counts or Out of Sequence Tablets [U.S. FDA]

Comments

1. Marlin says:

YOU SAID YOU WERE ON THE PILL!!!!

or

Your honor, should pfizer not have to pay the support bills for the next 18years?

• Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

“No, ma’am, we are only allowed to offer $500 maximum settlement and a coupon to Planned Parenthood. There’s no way for you to PROVE you didn’t forget to take the pills as suggested. Even so, we have an airtight disclaimer in the packaging.”

2. CubeRat says:

Suprise!!

(What do you mean you’re pregnant…)

• Rainicorn with baby bats says:

I got pregnant on the pill. =x

• CubeRat says:

So did my sister; but that is usually the first question that comes up. Followed quickly by either ‘Marlin’s’ “You said you were on the pill” or “I thought you were using birth control”

The bad thing, is often there are snarky comments about the woman either lying or not being able to properly use birth control. In my sister’s case, only she and by B-in-law were ‘shell-shocked’. Both sides of the family are big Italian Catholic families, so babies are always welcome. They just wanted to wait until both had finished college and gotten (paying) jobs.

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

My soon-to-be sister in law got pregnant TWICE on the pill.

• caradrake says:

Not only did I get pregnant on the pill, I continued to have periods every month, right on schedule. :/

• sadie kate says:

Same! And my sister did too, twice, so I was super rigorous about making sure I was taking them as directed.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I knew someone who not only got pregnant on the pill, but pregnant with QUADS. Sheesh!

3. FreeMarketFan says:

Stuff like this is why I’ll never trust the pill. Sure it’s a great assistant ; however, don’t be knocking boots if you’re not prepared for nature to find a way.

Anyway, the pull-out method works fine for me.

• Cat says:

You know what they call people who use the withdrawal method?
      PARENTS.

• Marlin says:

Hahahaha… the pull out method. REALLY? Did you forget the /s ?

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Maybe they meant “pull out the embroyo”

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

Damn by habit of adding “bro” in places it doesn’t brolong.

• little stripes says:

I’ve been on the pill for years, and have never gotten pregnant. Sometimes shit happens, but honestly, a lot of the time, it’s “user error” (taking a pill late, forgetting one, whatever). But also, sometimes shit just happens even if you do it perfectly. That said, if I were to become accidentally pregnant, I’d get an abortion in a heartbeat. I know not all women are willing to do that and that’s fine, but I’d be at that clinic so fast. “GET THIS FETUS OUT OF ME NAAAOOOW!”

• Solkanar512 says:

Take a science class you idiot.

• missy070203 says:

you should google that or check an anatomy book- pulling out is like less than 80% effective…. mostly because pre-cum is potent….

as for me personally I’m sterile after having reproductive cancer – no more babies here

4. DariusC says:

Now the liberals have ANOTHER excuse to abort babies. “I wouldn’t have had a kid if that greedy corporation Pfizer hadn’t cut costs to the point where their medicine was ineffective!”

Now, if the condom broke and then the pill didn’t work, that’s gotta be grounds for them paying child support for the next 18 years!

• Darrone says:

Dude, i LOVE aborting babies. Me and my liberal friends go out SMOKING THE REEFER, and then after aborting some babies and passing out Karl Marx manifesto, we do drive-by gay marriages on republicans.

• Darsynia says:

lol ‘the liberals.’ You mean women who want body autonomy? HOW DARE WE, amirite?

/30 weeks pregnant and still pro choice, thanks so much.

• conquestofbread says:

You caught on to us!

I have a whole collection of aborted fetuses in jars on a shelf in my living room.

Why, I get pregnant on purpose just to have the abortion.

• BennieHannah says:

Yeah I really love getting pregnant and being pregnant. What with all the attention and the gifts and the special treatment at my workplace — they are SOOOO accommodating! But I don’t really like babies very much, and I don’t want stretch marks or that gross belly-button push out. Gag! So I’m a regular down at the abortion clinic that’s in the strip mall right next to Claire’s. Every year I get a punch card where if you have five abortions you get one free. Who can resist a deal like that?

• mollyflogs says:

Oh no, he’s figured out the great liberal conspiracy.

Personally, I do my part every month to try to get pregnant. Sometimes, if it’s just one baby, I’ll have it so I can collect those liberal welfare and food stamp programs. It’s just not worth it to abort a singleton. But if it’s twins, I’m standing at the door of my local Planned Parenthood waiting when they open in the morning, because abortions feel great, and two is twice the fun. Once, I was even pregnant with triplets. It was like a freaking party in the procedure room that day.

• little stripes says:

Yeah, because only liberals have abortions!

Except that’s monumentally false.

Nearly eight in 10 U.S. women obtaining an abortion report a religious affiliation (43% are Protestant, 27% Catholic and 8% another religion)

Nearly 27% of women who get abortions are Catholic. That should tell you something.

• DariusC says:

Do I need to have the /s? I was kinda trying to play on the whole “liberals are baby-killers” stereotype.

Also, I said liberals, not agnostics/atheists! Not every liberal is agnostic/atheistic, in fact only about 3-5% of the country reports being unaffiliated with a religion (by old numbers that I read, most likely several years out of date).

• little stripes says:

LOL, I was hoping this was a Poe! I think the problem is that you said exactly what a lot of anti-choice people say. To a T. There was no way to determine that it was sarcastic, because it was spot-on. Good job!

Also, you’d be surprised how many anti-choice and evangelical Republicans have abortions. It’s far more than you might think. But we already knew hypocrisy runs high in that subset of the population.

• DariusC says:

I have said it before and I will say it again. I will choose a liberal democrat over a conservative republican because at least liberal democrats are less prone to the acceptable use of violence to get what they want. Many GOPs are war-mongering and pro-torture. Don’t even get me started on their religious stance either. And yes, they are extremely hypocritical, but I love their fiscal policy of small government. I just fear that a small government may mean a weak government and more corporate abuse due to people taking advantage of the system. This article could be an example if it is found that Pfizer was cutting corners to the point where their products became ineffective.

• little stripes says:

Word.

And, really, most democrats aren’t even that liberal. They are far more moderate than liberal in a lot of cases. Including Obama. Which is fine. Balance is key, especially in a society that is so diverse.

• Bagumpity says:

All the effectiveness as an Abstinence Only eduction program, but now in a pill form!

5. valkyrievf2x says:

OK, they have announced a big screw up on their part. They just announced it, but lord only knows how long before it actually started. Let’s say you are one of the unlucky females who got knocked up because of their screw up. Are they liable for any child related expenses you would incur? I mean, if a company screws up and kills someone, they are ultimately responsible. Would they be here as well? I realize they would try and tarnish the reputation of the claimant and make it seem like she was irresponsible or something, but for the moment, let’s ignore that fact….

• Marlin says:

Nope can’t sue as the pill is not 100% even if taken as listed.

You would have the prove the drugs you took were bad, hard to as they are gone, and that you would not have fallen into the group who used them correct and still got pregnant.

• MaryK says:

That probably wouldn’t be as hard as you would think – if you could prove that you had been taking that brand reliably for years and then you got a bad batch and were pregnant… Hard to pin it on anything else.

6. Cat says:

::ahem::

BUTT SEX OF GTFO!

(Sorry, Jenny Cupcakes. You weren’t here, and it had to be said)

7. SpendorTheCheap says:

This is what happens when drug companies are allowed to cross-promote with coat hanger companies.

8. tomok97 says:

You know what you call it when a birth control pill doesn’t work?

Well, we called ours Zachary.

9. hankrearden says:

Wait wait wait…nobody doctor-bashed yet. Isn’t anyone gonna doctor bash? Somehow this must be our fault, too, greedy malevolent bastards that we are.

• CubeRat says:

Well, if you’re an OB GYN, you might want to have the nurse call any affected patients. And you might be getting a bit busier in the next few months.

Seriously, I don’t think anyone blames the doctor in this case. Pfizer, sure. Hope they tweet this info, too.

• conquestofbread says:

Nobody blames the doctor, but this was a great opportunity for him to brag about the fact that he is a doctor.

• little stripes says:

…Really?

10. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

This is pretty much the reason why in my younger, pre-married days, we always a combination of hormonal birth control and a barrier, when we knew we weren’t ready to have a child. 99% effectiveness really isn’t great when you’re doing the deed a few hundred times a year, especially during fertile periods.

Nothing is perfect. Our second child came as a result of a reverted vasectomy, so anything is possible.

11. ElleAnn says:

So we might have an October/November 2012 baby boom…

12. Darsynia says:

One of my friends is on this and she’s pregnant, just found out last week. According to the other articles I’ve read about this, it’s not just a case of mis-labeling (the active pills and the inactive ones are not the same color), but actually there weren’t the right number of each kind of pill, either. So I’d be curious to know how Pfizer will address the issues here. Birth control isn’t 100% effective, and perfect use statistics vary from typical use, but even if their lawyers could argue that women should have known there was something wrong (and I’d say that’s a stretch; not all birth control is the same and a new user might not know the proper distribution of pill colors), I’ll bet the % of women who have been on the affected pills and are now pregnant would be higher than the % of failure for even typical (not perfect) use.

13. zantafio says:

I’d rather melt pearls on my tummy.

• little stripes says:

We call people who use the pull-out method “parents”, you know.

• yurei avalon says:

I used the pull out method for 3 years with a partner, never had any “oops” or scares. It really depends on the guy imo. The current one isn’t comfortable with it/able to do it safely so we don’t do it.

• little stripes says:

Yeah, and sometimes you just get really, really lucky. And other times: BABY. Pre-cum can also cause pregnancy.

I’ve been young and dumb and trusted the pull-out method, but I was just lucky.

• Darsynia says:

I don’t know, I think it depends on the person’s own fertility, as well. I was always really terrible at taking birth control ‘perfectly,’ but luckily never got pregnant. Then when we decided to actually try to conceive, it didn’t take long at ALL. So now I’m curious to know if my body’s just super receptive to disruptions in hormones or I was just really good at charting to know when I’d be most fertile, haha.

14. yurei avalon says:

Terrrrrific. This is just what I wanted to hear as I get ready to go back on the pill thanks to having insurance again. :/

• Oranges w/ Cheese says:

Ask about an IUD! So much more reliable

• yurei avalon says:

IUDs aren’t an option for everyone. Out of three years of taking BC pills previously, I could count the number of times I missed a pill and had to take it late on one hand. It’s not hard to set up a routine time to take it correctly.