Guy Finds $8K On The Road, Gives It Back To Owner

If you ever lose a briefcase containing personal documents and $8,000 in cash, you probably won’t see it again. But a man in Tampa got lucky because a virtuous person snagged the case and made sure it found its way back to its owner.

The Tampa Bay Tribune reports the kindly grandfather stopped and picked up the case, thinking a laptop was inside. Then he dropped off his grandchildren and set out to return it. As far as he was concerned, it wasn’t just the right thing to do, it was the only thing to do:

“I couldn’t convince myself to keep it. I knew somebody somewhere was really going to miss this, and I thought, ‘You have to do the right thing.’ “

He found a phone number in the briefcase and discovered that the man who owned it had left it on top of his car before driving home from a restaurant.

Good Samaritan returns thousands of dollars found lying in Tampa road [Tampa Bay Times via Fark]

Previously: I Lost My Bag Full Of Cash, Man Is Nice Enough To Return It Three Years Later

Comments

1. Marlin says:

“The hero didn’t seek a reward for his efforts, which was good because he wasn’t offered one.”

WHAT?!?!?

• Don't Bother says:

I thought the same thing. For returning the money, the dude could have given him a 10-15% finders fee.

That would have been a classy thing to do.

• Marlin says:

At Min give him a hundred or something to cover his time/gas.

• CharlesFarley says:

The person who lost the brief case is a jerk.

• Straspey says:

This happens more often that you would think.

I was sitting in the waiting room of a large medical office used by a number of different doctors. The guy across from me had a briefcase, a bunch of papers and was talking on his cell phone. The nurse came out and called him in and grabbed up all his stuff and disappeared behind the doors.

A minute later I looked up from my newspaper and saw that the guy had left his iPad on the chair. I picked it up and – with great effort, having to go search for him in a confusing maze of corridors and offices and nurses asking me what I was doing – I finally found him.

“Hey buddy – you left your iPad on the chair in the waiting room”

“Huh ? – Oh yeah – thanks.”

And that was the end of it – no handshake, no true expression of appreciation and gratitude…nothing.

At first I was a bit taken aback and annoyed — but then I realized it wasn’t about the guy, it was about me – because in the end I had done the right thing.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Yeah really…WTF?

If I’d lost a briefcase full of cash and someone was honest enough to return it to me with all the money still inside, he or she would get a big reward from me!

• Ahardy55 says:

Several years ago, I was outside of work in NYC smoking. A dog, off leash and no owner in site, comes running up to me with his tail wagging. He had a collar and I called the number on it. I got a voicemail, and explained to it that there was a loose dog here and I can wait outside with it for about 20 minutes. I said if I didn’t hear from here, I would call animal control and give her a call back on the details of where to pick him up at.

Well, 20 minutes later, a lady comes running up frantically, excited when she sees her dog. She walks up, grabs the dog from me and walks away. She didn’t say a single word to me, no head nod, no nothing. I was just a stranger would held on to your lost dogs collar for 20 minutes, left you a message on where to find him and sat outside of work for 20 minutes while you came by and picked up. A simple “thanks” would have been nice you negligible monster.

• 12345678nine says:

Maybe he was taking that cash to the man that had kidnapped his daughter for ransom money. He could not spare any money and had no time.

2. Don't Bother says:

Probably was drug money.

• DariusC says:

Totally thinking the same thing. The guy was probably lucky he didn’t get shot for returning it, under suspicion that he may be working with LE or may know something about its origins. /conspiracy

• longdvsn says:

That’s what I was thinking…Florida; 8k in cash

…but I’m sure the guy was grateful to get it back. Had he showed up to the buy without the money, bad things would have gone down.

3. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

I once found $100 cash on the street and turned it in to the local police. I was able to claim it a year later when nobody claimed it.

Pretty lame there wasn’t any reward. Not shocking, though.

4. deathbecomesme says:

What a F***ing douche. Give the guy a finders reward you dip S**t

5. mubd says:

What’s the bet this dude who found the money is loaded?

(yes, this is the typical bash the rich assholes comment)

6. RandomHookup says:

I’d be afraid of keeping the money because that’s the plot to way too many movies.

• Taed says:

You’re afraid of being in a movie?

• Don't Bother says:

Watch the movie “The Man Who Knew Too Much.” I’m pretty sure Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day’s characters wished none of that had happened to them.

• RandomHookup says:

Well, if the guy who finds the money ends up dead or harassed mercilessly or on the run, yes.

• Murph1908 says:

A Simple Plan was one such movie. I couldn’t get through more than 45 minutes of that one, because of the stupid decisions the characters continued to make.

7. keith4298 says:

How do we know the number inside the briefcase was actually the owners?

** Ring Ring ** Excuse me, I found $8k in a briefcase and was wondering if it was yours…..
    Uh, yea – bring it on over!

8. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Once I lost a wallet that contained nothing but a few business cards, around fifty cents in change and a rubber. Somebody found it and returned and hung around waiting for a reward until I finally gave him a buck. Jeez. Some people.

• Cat says:

I would have given him the rubber and so he could go F himself.

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Really, no ID, no photos, nothing? Why even bother with a wallet, then? To me, if I lost my wallet the biggest pain would be replacing all the cards — ATM, credit card, library card, loyalty cards, etc. I made a Word doc with the card numbers and phone numbers, but I think it’s time to update that, come to think of it…

9. SamiJ says:

My roommate found a wallet with $200 + a check for rent. Called the guy who lost it, who turned out to be a student. Guy was too busy to pick up the wallet – wanted us to drop it off at his apartment. So we called his parents (name on the check) and explained the situation to his mom. We mailed her the wallet.

• longfeltwant says:

Too busy? Here’s how the conversation should have gone:

“Yo, bro, we’ve got your wallet with $200 in it.”

“Sweet, will you bring it to me? I’m totally busy and stuff.”

“No. You can pick it up in the next 48 hours. After that I’ll shred your cards as a favor, and keep your money. Goodbye.”

• RvLeshrac says:

“Great, I’ll just skip one of my classes and drop a grade or call out of work and possibly lose my job to come pick up my wallet, because that $200 is more important than my income or education.”

10. Rebecca K-S says:

i’m pretty grabby for found money – if I find a $20, I’ll look around, and then pick it up, and I won’t try to find the owner. But $8k with identifying documents inside? I couldn’t keep that. Lame as hell that they didn’t offer even a token reward.

• longfeltwant says:

Agreed. If it’s less than a day’s wages, then it’s finders keepers. More than that deserves effort to find the loser, on a sliding scale. But $8000 is way above the top end of that sliding scale; I would always try to find the loser for that much money.

• bluline says:

Identifying info inside: Return it.
      No identifying info inside: Free money for me!

I wouldn’t turn it in because I’ve read about too many stories about local authorities who keep the money for themselves when no one claims it rather than return it to the person who found it.

• webweazel says:

Agreed. A $20 on the ground is definitely finders keepers. A briefcase with $8,000 in it and identifying information? I’ll definitely find them and return it. $8,000 in a grocery store shopping cart in a plain brown paper bag with no info? I’ll hold onto it for a while and see if anyone posts anything in a lost and found or something like that, otherwise, it’s mine. I’m not giving it to the police, because how do I know they won’t find a way to pocket it themselves?

It might sound mean, but if I carry more than $100 on my person, I’m a paranoid puddle about losing it. If someone puts huge amounts of their cash in a brown paper bag in a shopping cart and leaves it behind, well, they should have been more careful with it.

• Negentropy says:

I grab the $20, THEN look around. If you look around someone else might get it first… As for keeping/reward, i have always gone by If I know or can find out whose it is it is returned to them… A reward is nice but unnecessary. I will say not needed at least once (the gentleman in me), but offer it the second time or put in my pocket, I will take it (the not too proud or rich part of me)… If they do not give me one I might feel a little miffed, but feeling won’t last as I know there have been times when I had a good bit of $ on me and it was almost exactly what I needed for something and I did not have extra $

11. DevsAdvocate says:

I once found a wallet in a movie theater full of money and credit cards… I then tried to return it to the owner (who’s address was around the block), but found out that the home was demolished and obviously not lived in. I returned it to the movie theater to have them hold on to it, but they were closed, so I turned it into the police.

12. shufflemoomin says:

If it wasn’t for the honest of the guy, this douche would have been 8 grand down. Why not even give him a grand? Being a grand down is way better than 8k down.

13. Extended-Warranty says:

I like to believe that I’m a person of good morals. That’s just how I was raised.

However, I would have a serious dilemma with giving back 8k.

14. Tiffymonster says:

I once lost my filofax which had a slot where I kept my drivers license, cash, credit cards etc. I had about $300 cash in there and tons of contact information, my work schedule etc. About a week later someone dropped it off at my front door. They wrapped it up in a brown paper bag with no note. The cash was missing but my drivers license and cancelled credit cards were all there. I was still happy to get it back but kinda pissed that they took my cash, I was dirt poor at the time and that was most of my pay check that I had cashed and I needed it to pay my rent.

• teamplur says:

i WISH someone returned my stolen wallet like that. I don’t carry cash but would have glady given up any cash in there for my stuff back. So no I have no social security card (i know, dumbass for carrying it), i have a paper drivers licence (california DL, living in PA, military, no replacement till i move back to CA), i don’t have my permanent resident card and i’ll cost $500 to replace it even though i’ve applied for citizenship and it’s free as military, i’m still supposed to replace the green card that will be void soon anyways >_>…. oh and all the business cards lost, credit cards i had to replace…

oh and they spent $1 on netflix with my CC. they even tried to use my GOVernment credit card but fortunatly that was already off before it was taken… i almost wish they had used it just so he might have actually been caught.

• grebby says:

More likely that the person who returned it wasn’t the one who took your money. Someone took the money and dumped it, and your Good Samaritan returned it exactly as they found it.

15. PunditGuy says:

An object with a large amount of cash in it is going straight to the police. I wouldn’t dig around in there looking for identifying information, and I certainly wouldn’t contact anyone directly about it.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I’ll bet the police would have made a great effort to return the $1,500.

16. deathbecomesme says:

We should be able write off our “losses” Just like a corporation does. I mean they’re people too, right?

17. Saskiatas says:

Pretty lame of the owner not to give a reward, especially for $8K. The police called my husband last week because someone had turned in his wallet (license, credit cards and about $30 intact) and we wanted to give a reward, but the good samaritan had not left his name. We had to be satisfied with sincerely thanking the officer for tracking down our phone # and calling us.

18. Hoss says:

“What he found instead were some papers, a telegram and dozens of $100 bills.” A telegram?? I’m sure they mean a Western Union money gram. He may have scammed the Nigerians.

19. Mr. Spy says:

If he had given a tip, it wouldn’t have been enough. Ever get a 50c tip for finding a wallet with $50? Well, imagine a $10 thank you for finding $8,000. It annoys the hell out of you way more than no tip at all. If you were expected 10% of 8k you are crazy. Just because you have 8k in your wallet, doesn’t mean you have $800 to spare.

That being said, a lot of, “OH THANK YOU! YOU ARE A SAINT! HAVE MY BABIES!” talk would have been nice. With an (true or not) I’m sorry I can’t offer you a reward, this money isn’t even mine! Or I wish I could give you something, but this is all I have to get me through the next 6 months! Or whatever. At least try to make the guy feel good.

Nothing annoys me more than, “Oh, thats where my dog is. *Close door*”. Oh, don’t worry about it, I only spent a hour catching your dog, contacting you, who didn’t want to pick up the phone, only to bring him over to your house, because you were too drunk at 9:00am to drive. No need for a thank you. *Bitter*

• Cicadymn says:

Nobody was saying he needed to give the guy $800 freaking bucks. Just something to show he appreciates the trouble and the kindness of returning it.

“Let me buy you and your family dinner tonight.”
      or
      “I know it’s not much but please take $50.”

If the guy was REALLY desperate for cash do you HONESTLY believe he’d drive off with a case of $8K in it? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

• Jane_Gage says:

If you read the article the woman who answered when he called was “frantic and very grateful.”

20. EBounding says:

I once dropped my wallet while riding my bike to the store. It was only for 5 minutes. I didn’t realize it until I got home. I retraced my path but it was no where to be found.

Turns out someone found it pretty quickly and returned it to my parent’s house (my license still had my parent’s address on the front). I have no idea who it was. I would have liked to give them a reward. :(

After that I put a “$50 Reward if Found” card with my phone# in the wallet. Not only does it reward whoever brings it back, it punishes me for being careless.

• Jane_Gage says:

I had someone return my car keys to me that they’d found in the parking lot. I just happened to be in the front office and they happened to give them to me. They wouldn’t let me buy them a cup of coffee.

21. NoLongerALurker says:

Back when I was 7 or so I found a pager on the ground on my way home from school (this was back when pagers were a big deal and really expensive). There was a “If found please call” number on the back so I gave it to my mom and she called for me. They thanked us over the phone and sent us a prepaid padded envelope to send the pager back in. We sent it away and I felt pretty good about myself for my good deed.

About a week later I got a letter in the mail. Inside was a thank you card from the company I sent the pager to and a check for $25! That was like Christmas for a 7 year old! Looking back now I can see how awesome that was of them. I wasn’t expecting anything and getting rewarded for my deed really made an impact on my young little self. :)

22. kbr3970 says:

I have two stories… I once lost my wallet when I was I working at a grocery store. Luckily, I got my pay check and stuck it in my shirt pocket. It had a whole two dollars in it. Later that night, the manager called me to his office. Someone had found the wallet on the hood of her car, minus the two bucks. Good thing I didnt stick my check in it.

Later on in life, I found a wallet in a parking lot. I opened up and checked for a license. I found it and lo and behold, I knew the guy, who was my past work supervisors father. I got his number and called him. He met me and got it from me. The wallet was loaded. He offered me a reward, which I declined. Had he not offered, i think I would have been mad, but glad I did the right thing.