Top Posts Of The Week And Open Thread

Comments

1. Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I’m so glad it’s Friday and Open Thread AND I can participate! YAY!!

I’ve missed you guys.

Bastien is doing a lot better, but he has been put on special (canned) food and I have been going crazy trying to feed my two seperately. They do not have the same appatites or eating habits at all, and they do not mesh well with this new feeding plan. The main problem is Alfred. Alfred is a healthy weight and he eats little nibbles through the day. This is how he has always eaten, and it works for him. Bastien eats a lot and all the time. If I leave Alfred’s food out for him, Bastien will eat it. I can’t let him eat it anymore, so I’ve been picking Alfred’s food up after feeding time (twice a day) is over. I thought Alfred would get hungry and get with the program, but no… he still only wants little nibbles. So now Alfred isn’t eating enough.

I’ve tried feeding them in sperate rooms, but neither of them wants to eat like that. They won’t eat when I leave them in there alone, and they won’t eat while I watch them (I can’t be in two places at once, anyway!)

I’ve got a plan brewing that involves an electronic cat-door and a box that I could just leave Alfred’s food in and he could go in and eat as he pleases. I hope this plan works, because otherwise I’m going to have a very skinny/malnurished cat soon and then everyone is going to be on special food!

I am open to ideas.

Please help me.

• Cat says:

You mean, like a door that only opens when the cat has a special collar on it?

Yea, that should work, and it’s the only thing I can think of…

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Cats eat how they want to eat, and they can be real jerks when eating habits are changed.

A friend set up an automatic feeder for her cat–a set amount in the mornings and evenings. The cat will allow the food to pile up for a day, and then gorge on it all in one sitting.

The idea of making an area which only one cat can access might help–but it’d be tough to pull that off with 100% compliance. Felines are crafty little buggers, and if Bastien figures out that Alfred can open the door to the land of bountiful yums, he might just manage to squeeze in whenever Alfred goes for a snack.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

Yes, they are quite crafty. If it were the other way around I’d never try it because Alfred is super smart and so damn sneeky. Bastien is more.. um….. oaf-ish? He isn’t nearly as crafty but he makes up for it in brute strength. I think if everything is secure/strong enough he won’t be able to figure out how to get in on his own. I love that cat to bits, but he is not the sharpest tack in the box. Hehe.

The really good news is that I won’t be out very much money if I do end up trying this, because my dad already has a electronic cat door that I can have for free. He had gotten it for his little dogs but it didn’t work out for them.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I am glad to hear that Bastien is doing somewhat better. I wish you luck with your feeding scheme.

• pop top says:

Unfortunately cats don’t get hungry, and if they don’t want to eat, they won’t. I like your idea of the cat door, but I think maybe you should just stick with trying to get Albert on a schedule (if you haven’t done it for a week, then I think you should give it more time). My cat was a free feeder when I adopted her and it took a while to get her onto the new schedule, but she adapted and learned when feeding time was. She was a butterball when I got her too, so having a set feeding time was really helpful for her. Good luck. :)

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

It’s been a few days longer than a week : / Alfred is the most neurotic/OCD/habit controlled cat that I’ve ever had in my life. You just have to deal with him in his way or just forget about it. lol. I love him, but he is cra cra.

I’m still giving it more time, but I’m going to have to figure something out soon. I don’t want him losing too much weight over this.

Feeding times/controlled food will be good for Bastien, because he is a fattie too. So I think if I could work out Alfred’s issues, everyone will be happier in the long run.

• DJ Charlie says:

Good luck. When we had to put Mouse on special food, it was a nightmare. 4 cats, 3 of which are little pigs in cat costumes, and 1 needing special food. Took several weeks and a spray bottle to get a schedule down. Mouse now eats when we wake up, again around 3pm, and once before bed. She FINALLY learned to not touch the regular food after several trips to the vet.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

does alfred play more than bastien? maybe a treat ball with kibble in it that he has to play with to get food out of?
      honestly, electric cat door would be my thought too if it was with one of the cats that will wear a collar. two of mine are collar removers which is why i don’t have an electric cat door to keep the raccoon out

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Poor little confused kitties. I hope you can get it fixed. I’m really glad Bastien is better. :)

2. pop top says:

I finally picked a topic for my paper: Aristotle’s feelings on the Occupy movement. I thought I was a special butterfly when I came up with it, but after some Googling I see that others have written about it before; which is fine since that will give me a good starting point and references. I just have to stop by the library to pick up Nicomachean Ethics and I should be set. I’m worried about not being able to get six pages out of it though. :/

At least I’m going to the cat rescue tonight and tomorrow. Getting kitty bellies will surely help me contemplate the applicability of ancient Greek philosophy to modern day economical problems.

• Don't Bother says:

What is your paper for? Just curious.

• pop top says:

It’s for a political science class I’m taking (I just started going back to school to finish my degree). We’re reading a lot of classical Greek philosophy, as well as some Marx, Machiavelli, and Locke.

• Don't Bother says:

I would count it a blessing that you can find some people who have covered your topic. For my senior project, my paper was over something that was pretty obscure. My adviser really liked it, but it was hard to find anything to draw from.

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

yay kitties!

• pop top says:

There’s this one big guy that I don’t think will be adopted that I would just love to have when I’m able. He’s at least 20 pounds, has jowls from being a tomcat and is a huge baby, even though he looks mean. He likes being held like a baby and having his tummy petted. After you put him down from doing that, he’ll go knead a blanket for a while and crash. :3

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

that kind of behavior is why i just took over the youtube account for our rescue. it hadn’t been updated since 2010. i have to learn to edit videos but i think people will respond to seeing big ol’ loveable adult cats doing cute stuff like they respond to kittens. the adults never do as well at adoption events because they don’t play

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Six pages isn’t very much. You can bullshit quite a bit and fill that up easily. :)

*holder of a B.S. in English, which makes her a professional bullshitter

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Who here as Netflix?

What TV series are you currently watching, or have you recently finished, that you could reccomend?

I just watched the first episode of Downton Abby, and was suprised by how into it I got. The accents were no problem, the pace was solid, and the story is interesting.

• Murph1908 says:

Sherlock, from the BBC. I believe you can still stream it.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

As a Doctor Who fan, I jumped on that as soon as it was “available”, but I may rewatch it on Netflix.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Since you’re a Dr. Who fan, you may have already seen this, but Steven Moffat did a 1 season show called Jekyll, which set Jekyll & Hyde in current day. It stars James Nesbitt, and the acting is over all pretty good. I was especially impressed by the makeup, because they *didn’t* go over-the-top on Jekyll, they kept him very subtle. Of course the directing is good, it’s Moffat after all. And it is currently streaming on Netflix.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I had no idea, at the time, that Jekyll (which I thought was brilliant) was done by Moffat. He is why I checked out Sherlock.

While I love Doctor Who, and would be excited about any new episodes, I’d more so like to see new Sherlock stories.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Well, Series 2 of Sherlock is brilliant, and that should be on Masterpiece Mystery on PBS later this year. Series 3 has already been commissioned, so they’ll have to film that. But they’ve got to work around Martin Freeman & Benedict Cumberbatch’s schedules, since they’re both in The Hobbit, and Cumberbatch has been cast as the villan in the next Star Trek movie. So, no word whatsoever about timing for Series 3.

• Coffee says:

Jenny Cupcakes and Squinko recommended Peep Show to me, and it was awesome. Louis CK is also great (I think that’s on Netflix…I get it confused with Hulu sometimes).

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Our household is watching the I.T. Crowd, and I’m re-watching Season 1 of Archer.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Archer I have to try, as I love Adult Swim type animation. I haven’t had Cartoon Network for years (or most cable channels for that matter, as it’s no FX or USA, right?) so there is a lot of stuff I’ve missed.

IT Crowd I can’t watch, I can’t deal with laugh tracks anymore.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Actually, it’s not a laugh track, but an actual studio audience. And truthfully, after the first episode I didn’t notice it.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Someone recommended to me The I.T. Crowd, a british comedy with only 2 seasons, 12 episodes total. I havn’t seen it yet though. A topical british-geek show.

• pop top says:

The IT Crowd has four seasons.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I tried it once. I couldn’t get past the laugh track. I blame Arrested Development (which I love) for making me realize comedy is so much funnier when the timing isn’t broken up to fit in laughter.

• Coffee says:

Also, I assume you’ve seen Breaking Bad…if not, you should try that.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

I’ll second the recommendation for Sherlock – season 1 is currently available for streaming. I’ll also recommend Jekyll (directed by Stephen Moffat), Cadfael (for an older series), starring Sir Derek Jacobi, The Scarlet Pimpernel, starring Richard Grant, and The Last Enemy (from Masterpiece Contemporary), starring Benedict Cumberbatch.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Sherlock & Jekyll were two fantastic series. Jekyll being the first BBC offering I came across on Netflix streaming (which then made me go, ‘Let’s check out this Doctor Who…’)

I’ll be sure to check out the other suggestions.

• Straspey says:

Off you want to try something that’s really, really off-beat, but very cool is the Sci-Fi/Fantasy series “Lexx”

You have to pay attention in the beginning, like “Lost” – in order to become familiar with the characters and the somewhat-complicated plot line — but some of the special effects are outstanding, especially when you consider the series was produced about ten years ago.

If you like Sci-Fi, I recommend you give “Lexx” a try.

• Kimaroo - 100% Pure Natural Kitteh says:

I’m currently watching How I Met Your Mother, and I LOVE it. I had seen random episodes on TV before and thought that it was just an “okay” show, but once I started watching all the episodes in order I realized that there is so much more to it, and it is hillarious. They have jokes in there that may not pay off for episodes at a time, or even entire seasons later and once they do.. omg… hillarity insues. Go for that if you want something fun and lighthearted.

In an entirely different vein, Mr. Aroo and I are watching Breaking Bad. I find it interesting, but Mr. Aroo seems to like it more than I do. It reminds me of American Beauty a great deal. We are both boggled that it’s rated TV-14, though… I would imagine it should be rated much more mature than that. Compelling storyline though, for sure, and it’s really well done.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I love Breaking Bad, excellent series.

I’m not one to watch sit coms on Netflix, I typically watch episode dramas like LOST, or Breaking Bad.

• Murph1908 says:

I did the same thing. I was catching random episodes in syndication, and decided to go through them from the beginning. I streamed all available over about a month, and loved it.

Happy Slapsgiving

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

That’s funny, I just restarted Netflix streaming and the first thing I’m doing is watching Breaking Bad. I had heard good things about it…but NO ONE TOLD ME IT STARRED BRYAN CRANSTON!! He often stole the scene in Malcolm in the Middle, and that had a great cast. And I’m happy you figured out How I Met Your Mother…the premise itself is a little tired, with the flashback thing, but I love the characters. Nick Segal was great in Freaks & Geeks, and he, Alyson Hannigan, and Neil Patrick Harris are the reason I started watching it.

• Don't Bother says:

I’m a big Top Gear fan. The newest episodes are not on there, but there’s plenty of episodes to keep you occupied.

I also caught up on Mad Men from Netflix. Not sure I enjoyed every moment of it, but it was nice to see what the buzz was all about.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m a big Top Gear fan as well. I saw that Season 17 is available to pay-to-watch via Zune (on 360). I wouldn’t normally pay for each episode, but I’d like to see the India special (which isn’t available yet)

• nicless says:

I thought the India special was brilliant. I find myself missing the three lads, so it was nice to have something new to watch.

• Don't Bother says:

I’ve also been meaning to get on the Downtown Abby train.

Another British show that I’ve been starting to watch– Foyle’s War. Not streaming on Netflix, but I was able to pick up the seasons at my local library. If you like detective stories, WW II and British sensibilities, you may like it.

• Cat says:

Yeah.

My kids are sucking down cartoons and kids shows, and my wife has been watching every Jackie Chan movie she can find.

And me? Um… yea, they don’t care what I want to watch, so I don’t get much “my choice” time.

I wish Netflix would integrate multiple queues into their interface, just so I don’t find nothing but Spongebob and foreign language martial arts films in there, and allow me to exclude things like Bollywood films from new releases.

I found a list of streaming channels (Computer users only, not streaming devices) on Lyngsat:
      Warning: There’s a lot there. If you start poking around, you may get nothing done for about a week.

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I’m a big Jackie Chan fan, seen most of his movies, but tried to watch 1911 the other night. It was a bit too heavy for me, I like him with a comedic tone. Eventually I’m sure I’ll watch all of it.

I agree that Netflix needs a better organizational system.

I have it on Xbox 360 in my home theater, and on my Roku in my bedroom. I like having things I’ve seen accessable to rewatch in my bedroom (like putting on Die Hard to fall asleep), but don’t want to sort through a saved list of what I’ve seen when I’m in my den. Having multiple queues, with custom names for the list, would be great.

• CrankyOwl says:

I like “Fringe” – at first I thought it was too much like the X Files, but it’s really grown on me. “Burn Notice” is fun…and I agree w/everyone who recommended “Breaking Bad” – awesome show.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I like Waking the Dead, Cold Squad, Davinci’s Inquest, Man on Wire, King of the Hill, Wonder Years, Sons of Anarchy, Hawaii Five-O (old TV shows from the 60’s/70’s), Mission Impossible (the old TV shows from the 60’s/70’s), The Tower, and Monarchy.

• Cat says:

I also want to tell people that the Red Dwarf series is available on streaming, if you’ve never seen it. It may help you all out a bit when I make some obscure Red Dwarf reference about moving to Fuchal.

See you smegheads later. A new shipment of tension sheet just arrived form Amazon.

• Coffee says:

The laugh track on Red Dwarf drives me nuts…I really want to watch the show but I have trouble with laugh tracks.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I’m watching Emergency!, The Incredible Hulk and the old Dark Shadows right now. I’ve also added Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares. LOVE that show; it’s like a train wreck. I love how he cleans up a shitty kitchen, cursing like a sailor all the way.

4. DJ Charlie says:

So. Surgery was Tuesday.

They managed to clear 3 blockages (all were arteries and veins FEEDING my heart!), and had a look around.

Keep in mind that I was wide awake for the entire thing since they couldn’t manage to sedate me (weird body chemistry). So while they’re poking around, I’m watching the big monitor and commenting on things…

The inside of my heart is a VERY DARK PURPLE. When the surgeon saw that, he said “Well, we can’t give you a pacemaker, even though you desperately need one. Your heart is far too weak.”

Then he zoomed in on a valve. Instead of opening and closing like you see on all the medical shows, it was kinda flopping partway open, and partway shut.

So for now, we’re hoping clearing those 3 blockages will let my heart strengthen up to the point where I CAN have a pacemaker.

Until then, plenty of bedrest, and absolutely NO exertion. Not even wheeling myself around in my own wheelchair.

But I can breathe a LOT better, and my chest doesn’t hurt half as bad as it used to!

• Don't Bother says:

That’s awesome to hear. That’s also crazy that you could see the inside of your own heart. How many people do you think get that privilege??

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Glad that the surgery went well. I don’t know if I could have handled being awake for invasive surgery like that!

Still, that’s really cool. How many people ever see the inside of their own heart?

• Don't Bother says:

Jinx!

• DJ Charlie says:

Well, they tried to sedate me (always a tough job; i just don’t go under!), but after giving me a full double-dose of anesthesia, the surgeon just said “How about we just give you a local at the entry site instead?” and I agreed to it.

• Mike says:

Wow, that is a tough situation. Prayers, good vibes, well wishes all your way.

So what caused these heart problems? Are you obese? Is it purely genetics? Is it diet related?

• DJ Charlie says:

Definitely genetics. :)

EVERYONE in my family on both sides has heart trouble. Mine just started early.

Now we’re just doing weekly checkups to see if my heart is getting stronger, or if I need an external pacemaker.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Good thoughts and prayers (if wanted) coming your way. ‘Get better soon’ sounds so trite, but I don’t know what else to say.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Ooh that’s neat that you got to watch, although I think I would much rather have been sedated. As do you, I imagine!

I’m glad you’re feeling better though. :)

5. Mike says:

Every now and then I use open Friday to beg for an edit button today is no acception.

6. Straspey says:

I was kind of reviewing the topics of this past week and – in looking at my posts I realized that I may have been a bit snarky — or a bit more snarkier than usual this week.

Although there is no excuse for being rude, I will say that the combination of being over-tired, due to having just completed what was a very stressful work assignment, along with a little bout of the “Winter Blues” – may have made me come off as a bit edgy.

So – to those whom I may have annoyed or pissed off this week with some of my comments – please accept my apologies, and I hope you all have a great weekend.

• Don't Bother says:

I think we all need to make statements like these. We all behave poorly at some time due to the fact that communication in this type of forum is clunky, easily misinterpreted, and delayed. Besides that, all of us want to appear intelligent, and so there’s a lot of ego to maneuver around from each of us.

I hope your Winter Blues get better.

• Straspey says:

I want to thank you all for your very supportive comments – you have already improved my mood for today.

This is something I deal with on a regular basis – and being a free-lance professional, there are times when I go through the “Too Much Time On My Hands” periods – which can lead to spending all day shut in and surfing the internet, and…well, you get it.

I should have enough presence of mind to be able to put the brakes on that type of downward spiral – but when I went back and read some of my comments from this past week –well, it was like taking a look in the mirror with a bucket of cold water.

I can get pretty intense expressing my opinions – and still may do so in the future, but I can still be better.

BTW – It’s also great to hear that I’m not alone, and others here know what the winter blues are all about. I hope you don’t let it get the best of you.

• pop top says:

Straspey, you are one of my favorites. Plus you have a great avatar.

• Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

I don’t know if it’ll improve your mood at all, but I wanted to let you know that I’ve told a bunch of people the joke about the casket chasing after that guy. I didn’t see the joke until later in the day, so, by that point, I didn’t think you’d read any comments I posted. But that joke is superb and thank you for sharing it here.

Disclaimer, my memory is pretty terrible. I’m almost positive you were the one who told it, but if you have no idea what I’m referring to… you can safely ignore me

• Queep misses WarOtter :( says:

Aha, finally found that open thread, it was well hidden.

My memory didn’t fail me completely, you were the one who posted it. However, my memory obviously did fail me somewhat because I did in fact reply to your original post in a timely fashion

• Coffee says:

Hey, Straspey…I know how you feel about the weather…I live in central Washington, where we’ve been getting quite a bit of snow, so I’ve been essentially housebound for the past couple weeks. Combine that with the dreariness I feel when the light goes away, and I’m a little irritable at the best of times.

If you’re there and curious, I have a question for you, but would prefer to ask it via e-mail…my address is in my profile under my name if you want to respond.

7. chizu says:

Oh Open Thread. It’s time for me to bitch about what happened the past week.

The other day, we had an office meeting, our boss informed us that we just went from our best year ever to not having enough funding/projects to keep all of us running full-time for an undetermined amount of time. So we might all be put on part-time for a while. What does this part-time amount to? We don’t know, we’ll have a more solid answer by next week when we meet again. This number could be 2.5 days per week, or 3 days per week.

So naturally, we all panicked and freaked out. I think I didn’t handle it well initially because I seriously came to a complete loss. I crunched my numbers and knew immediately that it was impossible for me to put up the same amount I was putting into the joint account my brother and I shared. Granted, yes, I do have someone who will be chipping in the other half and possibly help me out. However, my brother is also not the most generous or understanding person that I know of. (To put it lightly.) So I’m looking at possibly not being able to afford my mortgage, with a great certainty that I probably can’t sell my house (AC + furnace still need to be replaced), and won’t be able to afford rent on my own if I were to move out (and if the rental agency would even let me rent at such a low salary!). (And no, I wouldn’t want to live with my brother if we were to sell the house.)

Anyway, I could only rely on my friends for so long if I were to go couch surfing… And I don’t have any family to fall back onto. But I’d have think figure out some backup plans if this does happen and if it happens for more than a month. To be honest, I had been thinking about selling the house for quite a while, pretty much ever since I met my ex. But the market had been doing so poorly that the amount of money we would lose terrified me. When I spoke to my mother the other night about selling the house because of the responsibilities of being a homeowner (e.g. lack of freedom), she pretty much went OH WELL THAT’S WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE A HOMEOWNER *inserts her own story*. I know she means well, but it’s so disheartening to hear her “dismiss” it? Like it’s completely okay to get tied down for a very long period of time.

The industry I’m in is hurting so badly. It kind of makes me bitter and resent the really, really, really wealthy individuals who have to ability to throw money around like it’s nothing. (My friend’s wealthy aunt has purses that are worth more than what I make in four months, and she doesn’t even carry them around all that often. I’m also bitter about this friend of mine for a number of reasons… But that’s a whole other story…)

So right now, over the weekend, I’d have to give this some thoughts and kind of plan out what I should/need to do. But first, sadly, is to get my anxiety attacks under control and basically learn to eat again. :( I had been under so much stress that I eat, on average, 25-50% less than what I would eat normally. So maybe I should get that taken care of first…

So, er, what’s everyone’s plan for the weekend?

• Dallas_shopper says:

Getting a massage tomorrow, provided I feel well enough. I’m sorry to hear about what’s going on at work; it really sucks all around right now unless you’re super-rich or in a super-stable recession-proof industry. I’m neither, and the constant fear and anxiety is crippling.

I hope you get some good news soon, whatever it is and however it comes.

• chizu says:

Several of us joked about how we need to sneak into that aunt’s house to “borrow” a few purses and few bottles of very expensive wine “indefinitely”. And sadly, that probably would allow me to survive without a salary for a good year… :(

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Looking for a job. I lost mine. Also, finishing up the last of the articles I owe from the freelance thing and watching Netflix until my internet explodes.

8. Dallas_shopper says:

I’m coming down with a sick just in time for the weekend.

I has a sad AND a sick.

9. agent 47 says:

Posted this over in the picture thread on accident. I’ll post it here too, just in case.

I don’t remember who it was here that told me to check out Doctor Who, but whoever it was, thank you so much. I am now deeply in love.

I know, off topic, but where else would I give my thanks?

• slyabney says:

Now watch the spin-off, Torchwood!

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

You may want to check out Sherlock, which was also written and produced by Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffat. No aliens, but still awesome and very well received.

10. InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Just finished reading The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss (yes, the same one who writes & produces episodes of Dr. Who & Sherlock). Quite hilarious, I’d recommend it to fans of Oscar Wilde and PG Wodehouse (it’s that sort of humor). Also, if you can find the audio book at your local library, it is read by Gatiss himself.

• pop top says:

Have you seen Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie do Jeeves & Wooster? It’s hilarious.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Oh gods yes! I used to watch that on our local PBS station with my mother and grandfather. I recently re-watched it (and started on A Bit of Fry and Laurie), and it’s even funnier than I remembered (probably because I get more of the jokes).

• pop top says:

I’d love to start reading the actual books, but don’t know where to start.

• InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Start with either The Inimitable Jeeves or Carry On, Jeeves. Both are short story collections (the short stories for Jeeves & Wooster mostly come before the actual novels). In The Inimitable Jeeves, the stories are all closely related, and form a clear arc. Carry On, Jeeves includes the story “Jeeves Takes Charge”, which is about how Jeeves came to be in the employ of Bertie Wooster. They should be readily available at many libraries, I should think.
            Hope that helps =)

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:
        • InsertPithyNicknameHere says:

Oh, heavens, those are awesome! I bit too dear for my budget, but I can at least look and drool.

11. catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

just took my dog in for his 6th laser therapy treatment. it’s helping but for it to keep working he has to keep going. not sure where i’m going to keep finding the money and the time. it’s not as expensive as for people at $120 for 6 sessions. the hardest part is finding the time around work because i don’t have endless vacation time.

but, if you’re considering “cold laser” therapy for your arthritic or injured pet, i’ve got to say it works really well. he could barely walk before and needed help standing up.

• Don't Bother says:

What kind of dog do you have?

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

blue heeler. larger than usual – not just weight but height at the shoulder.
        being beaten up by horses when he was around 3 or 4 did a lot of joint damage and being 12 years old…. baaaad arthritis and he overstretched his ACL chasing deer out of the yard

12. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

What a week. Dad’s hip replacement surgery had to be postponed, so now we’re looking at late February at the earliest. He is disappointed to say the least. Sadly, this gives my Mom more time to fret and worry about the whole thing. I’m trying to keep her occupied by learning to do Sudoko puzzles. Thankfully my boss is understanding about last minute changes.

I may have found a home for our outside cat, Chloe. One of my coworker’s sons is buying a farm, and he said he would adopt her. It will be a few months, but at least there’s hope for her to find a better home.

The weather has been so crappy this week. I’m looking forward to the weekend, taking a day or two off next week, and visiting Goodwill. I hope people have gotten rid of stuff by now so I can maybe pick up some jeans or other clothing items.

I hope everyone is OK and that you have a great weekend!!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Aww poo! I hope they get your dad in soon. I’m sure he’s anxious to get it over with.

That’s encouraging. If things change drastically soon I may have to find a home for Fatass Psycho OC Kitty. She’s so antisocial I don’t know if I can.

13. HogwartsProfessor says:

Open Thread!

I can now participate without waiting until lunchtime because…..*dramatic pause*….my job was eliminated yesterday.

They are reorganizing prior to what I think is a merger, and they have ditched both the part-time marketing person and myself, the receptionist. No warning what. So. Ever. After I left (early–I didn’t want to stay but they clocked me out at five), I called the marketing guy and said “GUESS WHAT!” He was freaked. So was my boyfriend (I called him first). This will either make or break us, I guess, since I can’t buy any more plane tickets until I get a job. And some vacation time. :'(

I went by today to get something I forgot and liberate a mission lily which was doomed to a slow death (now that I’m not there to water it) and talked to one of the sales guys. He said it was ridiculous, that I did so much, being the only clerical worker in the office and that they weren’t going to pick up the slack. I said, well how could you, you guys are totally swamped as it is. We agreed in a week they’ll be buried in paper. Oh fucking well.

I went out and got some things done today like serviced my car, got a cheap digital rabbit ear antenna, bought stamps, etc. I’m getting six weeks severance, which is nice, and yesterday I got online and applied for unemployment as soon as I got home.

Now to try and get my fussy butt Roku LT to work (was fine but now doesn’t want to log in) so I can get DirecTV cancelled. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck shit.

• chizu says:

Oh god I’m so sorry to hear that. :( I posted further up that our whole office is facing a really tough time too. I could totally understand the whole having a job or not could destroy your long-distance relationship. I hope you could ride it out soon, I’m rooting for you!

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Thank you. I saw your post too. I wish they had cut my hours so I would have had money coming in while I looked for something else. Lucky I already had my resume up to date and all that happy crappy. There’s not much to do but get all my budgeting, etc. and search tactics in order. That will be next week’s project.

I hope this doesn’t destroy us. We said the L word over Thanksgiving. I hope it still holds from his end. He’s coming to see me next month anyway, so that will be nice. If I find something before then I’ll just tell them I need the 17th off because I already bought tickets to the nerd convention we were supposed to go to.

• chizu says:

Good luck finding something. I really do hope everything will work out for you in the end. The long-distance thing is definitely really really really hard, and it’s especially devastating to me to end it since we both love each other very, very, very much… Well, let’s just say that sometimes there are some really rough patches in life that you just have to work out first, and the painful relationship can really make everything much worse…

But this isn’t about me! At least you got a severance, hopefully that would tie you over until you find a new job. I don’t think any of us will be able to get severance pay if things get bad… :(

• HogwartsProfessor says:

It’s not very much. It’s only six weeks and they already deposited the first one in there. :( But I made about $4 more an hour than the last time I was on unemployment, so hopefully that will be higher too. People say it is.

*starts putting furniture on Craigslist*

• Coffee says:

Awwww…I’m so sorry to hear that, and I sincerely hope that you’re able to land on your feet relatively quickly…you’re one of my favorites.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Aww thanks Honey Badger. I enjoy your posts too. You, Wasp and JennyCupcakes crack me the hell up. Which I need on a regular basis!

• Coffee says:

I don’t know why you won’t let us badger you to join G+…you’d have plenty of friends there to support you :P

• HogwartsProfessor says:

I might. I’m thinking about it. Was gonna wait and see if it really took off like Facebook, or would die a slow death due to Google’s weird-ass policies.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Just use it for the Consumerist circle; that’s about what I do. XD

• Coffee says:

Just try for us! Send me an e-mail…what’s the worst thing that could happen? You’d have about 20 people dying to say hi :)

• Coffee says:

Oh, and if I haven’t mentioned, congress.gov@gmail.com

Drop me a line, please! We would love to have someone like you (I’ve been bugged about you in particular for months).

• Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

I’m really hoping it doesn’t take off like Facebook. It’s niche enough right now that a lot of the idiocy that goes on with FB is absent. I really didn’t do anything with Google+ until I became involved in the Consumeristas group. I’m glad they invited me. I can’t thank Wasp enough.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

*hug*

I’m so sorry. That sucks – no warning at all. At least you got some severence pay, I know it’s not a consolation, but you know – it’s something. I can’t imagine how you feel.

I was thinking about your Roku not connecting. Mine threw fits when my old cordless phone was in use, and it would just kick off, and I’d have to go through the whole reconnect thing every time. I bought a cheap Uniden cordless with DECT 6.0 frequency, and no more problems.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Hmm…I do have a cordless phone but the connection problem doesn’t happen when I’m talking on it. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, per a forum post, and may try factory reset next. I wonder if that might be part of the problem though.

This is not a good time for the little purple beast to screw up!!!!!!!!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

the phone doesn’t have to be in use to interfere.
          since it’s the LT i know you are wireless. is there a microwave, a fridge or a piece of cheap ikea furniture between the router and the roku? all of those things can weaken/impair your wireless signal. i’m not kidding about the furniture. apparently some flat pack pressboard furniture has foil in the laminate
          in my house it’s the fridge so i hang the router upside down from the ceiling to broadcast above the fridge

• HogwartsProfessor says:

No, I don’t THINK so…..it has no trouble getting to my puter. I can always unplug the phones and see if that helps. It doesn’t hurt them.

Part of the problem I had with AT&T last year was an intermittent signal. When I ended up talking to the “special” support team in San Fran, they said the thingy I was on could not handle the traffic (not just my traffic). They moved me to a different thingy–I can’t remember what they called it, a circuit or a node or something–and said it would eventually fill up. But things have been okay so far, and also the last tech who came out fixed the jack that seemed to be causing extra problems.

Roku worked fine last night so it HAS to be the internet. Apparently there are times it cannot do more than one thing. Netflix will still play okay on the computer, so when the Roku doesn’t work I can just go back to doing it the old way until the signal gets its mojo back.

I did buy a rabbit ear antenna and can get local channels without the satellite. I’m keeping the satellite for now (it’s still only $25.92 a month) but if I don’t find anything before they jack it in July, or money gets too tight, I can dump it without losing too much. I just haven’t been able to wean myself off Nickelodeon and the video player on A&E’s website doesn’t always work to watch Hoarders. What I REALLY want is to get all my channels back but unless I find a kick-ass job that pays way more than my lost one, it ain’t happening. :(

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

if you have a powerful enough computer and your home network was stronger i’d recommend playon [private roku channel with associated software] that transcodes from websites to the roku. you can nickelodeon and a&e and more stuff that way.

• ArcanaJ says:

Oh, holy shit. I’m sorry, sweetie. :(

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Thanks, ArcanaJ. Hopefully I’ll find something decent soon. The worst part is this means no more trips to Arizona (or anywhere else) in the near future. :'(

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Very sorry to hear about it. I lost my job back in 2009, and have tried a complete career change, so I understand what you feel. If you need a good group of people to help with advice, venting, or just some inappropriate humor take up Honey Badger on his Google Plus invite.

• Ratty says:

I’m really sorry to hear it. Hope everything works out for you faster than you need it to.

14. dark_15 says:

So is anyone buying houses these days? I’m torn about buying a house vs. living in the apartment I am in and living with the girlfriend + 2 large dogs isn’t making the living area any larger. Then again I’m extremely concerned about the housing market slumping again since the interest rates are low and no one around here seems to be buying. I’m in NW Ohio for reference… what do you Consumerists think?

• chizu says:

I think it doesn’t hurt to look around. Now really is a good time for buyers to buy — horrible for anyone trying to sell. Not to mention a 30-year fix rate is really low, so it’s kind of tempting to poke into that idea. Personally, as a homeowner, I have a lot of issues I need to deal with and I’ve been fairly upset about them. But I won’t chew through your ears about them. I don’t know the market in OH to really comment, but I’d suggest looking at zillow.com to kind of look over how the market in your desired area fluctuated over the course of past 3-5 years to get a better idea of what the market is like.

15. tooluser says: