How About Some Cocaine To Go Along With That Terrorism Textbook You Ordered On Amazon?

A college student was a bit surprised when she opened a used textbook on terrorism that she’d ordered from Amazon, and a package of cocaine fell out. Perhaps whoever sent it thought she might need an extra kick for those hours of studying.

Sophia is taking a class on terrorism, and purchased the $30 textbook from Amazon, says WDAF-TV. She was thumbing through the book when something unexpected fell out of it just as she happened to be going through a section on the Unabomber, Ted Kaczynski.

“Just a little tiny package falls out with white powder in it,” she told the station. “And I’m like, ‘White powder just fell out of my terrorism book.’ And so my brother was like, ‘Oh, that’s scary.’” Totes.

Since she was reading up on people sending bombs in the mail in her textbook at the time, the idea of anthrax in the mail came to mind, so Sophia took the package to the police. Turns out the powder was a different kind of danger to society.

“They went back and they tested it and he came back like 10 minutes later and said, ‘You didn’t happen to purchase cocaine with your textbook did you?’” she said. “I was like ‘No.’”

Since it’s a used textbook, it’s likely that it wasn’t Amazon that put the drugs in the book, but an approved reseller, who should probably reconsider his or her hiding spots for illegal drugs.

*Thanks to Brendan for the tip!

Student Finds Cocaine in Terrorism Textbook [Fox4KC.com]

Comments

1. Marlin says:

Might not be the seller either. Many sellers go to yard sales. used book stores, etc… and scan the books and if they have any value they buy cheap then re-sale.

No telling how long it could have been there.

2. Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

I have the same book, and can say that, when purchased new, it does not come with any cocaine, or even a companion cd.

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I should read more.

4. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

I got B’s

5. blogger X says:

Dammit I was looking for my…uh, baking soda. Yes, I bought some baking soda from a man off the street after the corner store closed…

6. bendee says:

Now we know why those USPS packages were torn to shreds – someone put it in the wrong book!

7. DariusC says:

At least they thought it was anthrax and it turned out to be cocaine and not the other way around….

8. FrugalFreak says:

this help nabs suspected terroists, get them in on drug charges and gives leeway to search suspect.

9. namcam says:

not quite sure how that much blow could be in a book without being noticed somewhere down the line.

• baltimoron says:

It’s the cops. They have no problem saying something like a gram of pot is worth hundreds of dollars.

10. pop top says:

“$300-$400 worth of cocaine”

That would’ve paid for at least a semester’s worth of books.

• dadelus says:

Either you’re going to a cheap school or you haven’t been in college for awhile. I had a couple of semesters a few years ago where that would have only covered one book.

• VintageLydia says:

This is why I love my professors this year. Total price for all books even at the inflated school bookstore: less than 200. At my CC a full semester of books routinely cost $4-500.

• Don't Bother says:

It’s why I loved all my English classes. We just had to buy a few paperback books that were about 10-20 dollars a piece.

• LMA says:

Exactly. Only when I was in College, paperbacks of classics were only about $2 and I think the most expensive book I ever needed was a volume of poetry with analytical essays for $12. And it’s not like I’m 98 and wearing an onion on my belt either.

• darcmosch says:

chegg!

11. joescratch says:

I worked in a public library. Same thing happened except it was a children’s book and it was heroin. Cops said it was probably a “drop”–money exchanged elsewhere, product left in agreed-upon place. Civilization, continue your decline.

12. Squeezer99 says:

so did the cops arrest her for posession of cocaine?

13. vliam says:

It’s a study aid.

14. AllanG54 says:

A college student who can’t say five words without inserting the word “like.” If I was in HR and they were interviewing with me they wouldn’t get a job.

15. StarKillerX says:

Why yes, yes I did. Why do you ask? lol!

• Murph1908 says:

There are a lot of stupid criminals out there. Doesn’t hurt to ask. =)

• thesalad says:

YES.. I’ve seen enough episodes of cops and read enough of the police blotter to see people call the cops because 1 their drugs got stolen. or 2 they didn’t get the drugs they paid for.

16. Costner says:

I know when I find a suspicious package of white powder, the first thing I do is take it into a building full of a bunch of people and tell them I am concerned it could be anthrax or something.

It always ends well.

17. ajaxd says:

So let me get this straight.

She came to police concerned it might be anthrax. How did the police ruled it out in 10 minutes? Did they actually tasted/sniffed it? I am pretty sure that’s how it went down.

• Me - now with more humidity says:

You can’t tell by tasting it, unless you’re a TV cop who also can get DNA back in 5 minutes. But there is a fairly quick chemical test.

18. Razor512 says:

textbooks are boring, the seller probably wanted to provide a study aid.

also one of the best ways to stop terrorist groups is to give them drugs like cocaine, they will be too high to terrorize and they will get a speedy death.

• Razor512 says:

Also why do you need a textbook on terrorism? When you combine pure unrelenting stupidity with unwarranted anger, you get terrorism.

There is no way to change them, the best thing to do is find a way to deal with in a way where innocent people don’t get hurt along with non-terrorist not getting hurt.

• dwtomek says:

Sounds like you could use the textbook. Taking the most basic and self centric view of a problem and then using that incredibly limited view to create a solution is a surefire path to failure. Alternatively, you can continue to pretend that the world is expressed solely through extremes.

19. Dragon Tiger says:

“…which the police confiscated and destroyed”

Yes. Yes they did.

20. Mimbla says:

Could this be related to the delivery at UN headquarters today?

21. Mimbla says:

Could this be related to the delivery at UN headquarters today?

22. thesalad says:

I always wondered why some used books on amazon were 300 dollars more than the book store.

23. HogwartsProfessor says:

Oops….

24. BlueHighlighterNextToACoozie says:

Moral of the story: If she wasn’t such a wuss and scared of anthrax she could have took the bag to Bingo and made at least $200.

25. JHDarkLeg says:

I don’t believe her. She is clearly a criminal drug smuggler that got a bad bag and is trying to get her supplier in trouble. Charge her with possession with the intent to distribute, and throw away the key. I don’t want this lady anywhere near my children with the morals she has.

26. midwestkel says:

Sheeeet, where’s the reward money? Finders fee?

27. make7acs says:

Oh man, would have been a completely different result if I was the person with the text book.

28. thatfunkylady says:

All I ever find is forgotten homework in the books I order, not fair!

29. homehome says:

Destroyed? Yeah right lol. Like anybody believes that.

30. u1itn0w2day says:

New meaning to the phrase higher learning.

31. pika2000 says:

“A college student was a bit surprised when she opened a used textbook on terrorism that she’d ordered from Amazon, and a package of cocaine fell out.”
    Wow, what an improvement for supplemental material. All I got was a CD-ROM back in the days.

32. Eterion says:

“Turns out the package contained about $300-$400 worth of cocaine, which the police confiscated and destroyed.”

That made for a very “happy” department that day.

33. Major Tom Coming Home says:

I’d have flushed the coke and been done with it. There would be way too many questions and too much paperwork if you reported it to the police. If whoever sent the stuff is that careless, it won’t take them long to get caught with it.