Alaska Airlines Opts To Stop Handing Out Prayer Cards

For the past three decades, Alaska Airlines has handed out prayer cards imprinted with Bible verses with meals. But the airline will stop the ritual Wednesday, following through on a decision it made last Fall. According to the airline, a marketing executive copied the prayer card idea from a rival airline in order to “differentiate” its service. If you hadn’t noticed the prayer cards recently, that’s probably because you weren’t flying first class. The airline stopped serving meals in coach six years ago.

Saying passengers complained about the prayer cards, an airline spokesman tells MSNBC “We believe it’s the right thing to do in order to respect the diverse religious beliefs and cultural attitudes of all our customers and employees.”

To that, we say Amen.

OMG! Alaska Airlines discontinues controversial prayer cards [MSNBC]

Comments

1. humphrmi says:

I ascribe to a religion that is undoubtedly against this practice, yet at the same time I have a hard time getting worked up about someone giving me a piece of paper.

2. Evil_Otto would rather pay taxes than make someone else rich says:

And THIS, people, is why all marketers are scum and should be executed on sight. Such profound cognitive dissonance could bring down a civilization.

• theblackdog says:

I bet Don Draper would have never come up with an idea like this.

• Dr. Shrinker says:

Yes, I very nearly spat coffee all over my monitor when I read that line. Marketing, where copying what others do is what differentiates you from others!

3. Mike says:

Also, probably not good to remind people on an airplane that there might be situations during which you want to pray.

4. pop top says:

The comments on this article should be fun. :)

5. Cat says:

As I plummet to a painful death I will make up my own prayer on the fly, so to speak.

“JESUS FUCKING H CHRIST, HOLY SHIT, GOD DAMN IT ALL, SON-OF-A-BITCH!!!!!

6. Don't Bother says:

“If you hadn’t noticed the prayer cards recently, that’s probably because you weren’t flying first class. “

This speaks for itself, I think.

7. sqeelar says:

Airlines have long replaced branded prayer cards with another corporation-approved religious practice: passing the collection plate.

• The Bunk says:

Or….berating you into filling out the application for their credit card.

US Airways, that means you.

• Princess Beech loves a warm cup of treason every morning says:

For international flights, there will be a bowl of holy water beside the exit doors. There will also be a pulpit at the galley area. Mass will be held twice during the flight. Amen.

8. tungstencoil says:

I’ve flown Alaskan first class and never noticed these… weird. Guess I won’t be missing them either :)

9. Cycledoc says:

Only took three decades to stop this inappropriate practice. That’s leadership.

10. Torgonius wants an edit button says:

Yes, but will they drop the ‘prayer card distribution’ fee?

11. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Were these Catholic, Jewish, Muslim, Anabaptist, Shaker, Orthodox, prayers or what?

• Riroon13 says:

I saw pictures of these in another article. They weren’t really ‘prayer cards’ with instructions to to whom and how to pray. they were more like natural-scene postcards, with a Bible verse from Psalms printed in one corner.Unless I was missing something, fairly inoffensive.

12. longfeltwant says:

Effect follows cause by natural laws with no exceptions; if you believe in magic, you’re mistaken.

Still, a little prayer card on a privately owned airplane isn’t something I would get upset about; it’s something I would chortle at.

13. elephant says:

I’m happy about this – Alaska is my favorite airline, and I would always just flip the prayer card over – don’t really like religion literally in my face – I would never complain about the cards, but I think it was a good choice to eliminate them.

14. esc27 says:

I don’t see anything inappropriate with a private company handing out prayer cards assuming they are sincere and don’t force employees with differing religious views to participate. It’s a piece of paper, not a slap to the face.

It’s using religion simply as a marketing ploy that bothers me.

• Plasmafox says:

When that piece of paper, and the act of them handing it out, represents an ideology that believes all other beliefs are evil and their adherents deserve to be tortured for all eternity unless they convert, yeah, it’s kind of a slap to the face.

15. TerpBE says:

An airline handing out prayer cards would make me question the confidence they have in their pilots.

16. Azagthoth says:

I just wanted to post to say that at first glance I thought the person in the picture was MIckey Rourke.
    That is all.

17. Plasmafox says:

The sad thing is, they’ll probably get death threats sent to them about this.

18. Arctic Snowbot says:

Well, if they are taking my prayer cards from first class, is it being replaced with a ticket to the mile high club?

19. HogwartsProfessor says:

I would worriedly ask them “Do you think I need this? Is the plane gonna crash?” and see what happened.

20. yurei avalon says:

But… what will I use to wipe my arse with now when the alert for making an emergency water landing comes on and I shat myself in terror and pray? O:

21. skakh says:

What, I didn’t know Sarah Palin was involved with Alaska Airlines! Is there anything in Alaska that Tundra Tart does not have her grimmy little paws on?

22. SWILK3RS says:

Absolutely stupid and a waste of money. Maybe Chik-Fil-A should get together with Alaska Airlines and create a Super Christ Company.