Postal Employee Caught With 10 Years Of Stolen Bulk Mail Wants To Keep Job

For 10 years, a Postal Service employee in Texas has been stockpiling massive amounts of bulk mail in her office and home. And even though she’s now under investigation by postal inspectors, the USPS worker says she wants to keep her job.

“People can have mental issues,” the 72-year-old tells MyFoxHouston. “It doesn’t make them crazy; it doesn’t make them insane. It makes them stupid.”

The 36-year USPS veteran says that for about a decade she’s gotten her hands on enough catalogs, mailers and other things you would probably just recycle anyway, to fill up a box truck — each year.

“This is a hording problem,” she explains. “I see things in some little piece of paper that maybe I want to read it or save it, and that’s what happens.”

She has been suspended without pay but tells Fox she would “like a second chance… I would like to go back to work. I am ashamed of myself, but I know there is more to me than that.”

72-Year-Old Postal Employee Makes Shocking Confession to FOX 26: MyFoxHOUSTON.com

72-Year-Old Postal Employee Makes Shocking Confession to FOX 26 [MyFoxHouston.com]

Comments

1. Jack T Ripper says:

No shit she wants to keep her job. Do you know how hard it is for mail carriers fired for stealing mail and facing federal charges for mail tampering to find a job these days? Sheesh…

2. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Hey, why not let bygones be bygones?

3. Karney says:

“People can have mental issues” and “It doesn’t make them crazy” don’t go together too well. And I would consider hoarding a mental illness in the crazy category.

• Jack T Ripper says:

Hey, can’t I drink the blood of humans and hold satanic rituals in my front room without being thought of as a devil worshiper? I mean, c’mon! Ever hear of not judging a book by its cover?

• DariusC says:

A mental issue can be adhd, autism or anything else mental and an issue. Doesn’t mean you’re crazy. I would be offended if I thought it was on purpose, which I hope it wasn’t.

• little stripes says:

Not to mention calling people with mental issues “stupid”. This lady is just digging herself deeper.

Clearly she has a problem that needs to be addressed, but I don’t think it would be healthy for her to keep her job while she does it.

• Difdi says:

Yeah, they call it kleptoMANIA for a reason.

4. Cat says:

Hellloooo, Newman….

5. MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Sounds like she was providing a valuable service for her customers. I’d love to have the bulk mail recycled for me before I ever see it.

6. chrisAPu says:

I bet the folks on her mail route were happy to not receive any “bulk” mail for over a decade… I would love it if my mailman had this issue.

• Marlin says:

Yea but now they will get 10years worth in 1 day.

As far as I know they have the deliver the mail since it was paid for. I’m sure the person on her route will be happy to get that to sort now.

7. MattAlbie says:

She also seems to be stealing those white “USPS” bins that they want to charge people for if they don’t return them on time. Let’s not forget about that!

• RvLeshrac says:

Yeah, it sure would be terrible if you got charged for keeping something that was only loaned to you temporarily as a convenience, which you knew was only loaned to you temporarily as a convenience.

8. phobos512 says:

She doens’t want to keep her job, she wants to keep her pension. I say, fire her ass. If she acknowledges that she has a problem, then SHE SHOULD HAVE SOUGHT TREATMENT. Either way, it’s her fault.

• Jack T Ripper says:

I just find it odd that in 10 years not a single person reported this problem to the authorities. I’m no doctor, but I would even say this goes beyond hoarding since it is such a specific item. I guess hoarding is a form of OCD, so maybe that is proper. Either way…. She seriously got away with this for ten years before anybody noticed??? That is sad.

• Kestris says:

It’s still hoarding. Some people hoard rocks, others newspapers, others pop/soda bottles. Still others everything that comes into their house.

• BDSanta2001 says:

They probably did complain and were treated like they were the crazy ones for “missing” their bulk mail.

• elangomatt says:

I wonder if maybe she wasn’t taking ALL of the bulk mailings, but instead just the ones that she thought she wanted to read something in. Would you really notice if only half of your bulk mailings were making it to you?

• Marlin says:

Even if fired she can still get her pension. In fact the PO is probably trying to get her to retire so they don’t have to spend the money to charge her and try to fire her.

9. Emerald4me says:

Was she “hording” mail or “hoarding” mail? Anyway, at age 72 it is time to let go and let a younger person have the job in this economy.

10. Cat says:

Look, lady, give it up. You’re 72, and you’re bat-shit crazy. Retire already and let someone with a family to support keep a job.

And now you can finally read that junk mail you’ve been saving. And the best thing, the very best thing of all, is there’s time now… there’s all the time you need and all the time you want. Time, time, time. There’s time …

• AllanG54 says:

Ok…we get the Twilight Zone allusion but even if she retires I doubt she’d be replaced. Post Offie is looking to get rid of employees as it is. This is better than laying off someone else. I think it’s called attrition.

11. johnny_ryall says:

i wish my mail carrier were so considerate, i would love it if someone saved me the effort of opening my mailbox to find nothing but garbage 27 days a month

12. rpm773 says:

Evidently.

13. BrownEyes says:

Hey, it’s bulk mail, not first class. But I doubt it was a hoarding problem. More likely, she didn’t want go to the trouble of delivering it.

• Karney says:

“The 36-year USPS veteran says that for about a decade she’s gotten her hands on enough catalogs, mailers and other things you would probably just recycle anyway, to fill up a box truck ‚Äî each year.

The woman fessed up to the hording after her boss noticed mail piling up in her office and asked her if she had been stashing mail elsewhere. She pointed them to her home and to storage spaces she rented to hold her haul. “

Sounds like hoarding to me. She rented storage space so she could keep more of it…

• BrownEyes says:

True, she said that, but there have been dozens of carriers caught with stacks and stacks of mail in their houses and garages who just didn’t want to sort & deliver it. If they just throw it out, someone will find it and trace it back to their route.

14. ReaperRob says:

I wonder if something like this is the reason I still haven’t gotten the seed catalogs I ordered?

• mommiest says:

I just got my Baker Creek after they sent it in a large catalog. Two others they sent in December have disappeared.

15. tbax929 says:

They can rehire her and give her the route that includes my house. I’d LOVE not to receive bulk mail!

16. elangomatt says:

How funny would that have been if the certified letter informing her of her suspension had gotten lost in the mail?

17. pop top says:

Damn, there are some heartless people here.

• Doubting thomas says:

Heartless? The woman is a thief twice over.
      First she steals the mail (yes most bulk mail is junk people don’t want but a. it isn’t all junk, and B. it is not her choice.) Then she accepts pay from her employer for a job she is not doing.

I don’t care how old she is or what her alleged mental illness is. Unless she is severely mentally retarded she know the difference between right and wrong and made a choice to continue doing wrong rather than get help or stop.

• pop top says:

I can see that you are very knowledgeable about mental illnesses, how they manifest and this specific situation. Thanks for your input.

• little stripes says:

And how do we know she hasn’t been stealing other mail? We don’t. And yes, she knew between right and wrong. Having a mental illness does not mean you suddenly no longer have to take responsibility for your actions. I have some sympathy for her, but she should not be allowed to keep her job. If nothing else, it would be unhealthy for her. She needs help. And people receiving mail deserve to know that their mail isn’t being stolen.

• Jules Noctambule says:

And with the way you pass judgment on everyone else here, you obviously must personally know every detail of this woman’s situation and her entire motivation. Right?

18. Kaleey says:

No, she doesn’t need to go back to work, she needs to go to a help facility – she is a hoarder, and that needs some treatment.

And it’s HOARD, not hord. Gah!

19. Firevine says:

Suspended without pay!? Hell, this woman was providing a valuable service to the community!

20. Dr.Wang says:

Anytime anyone does something to interfere with the delivery of junk mail I say they’re a hero! Pin a medal on her!

21. oldtaku says:

If it was really only bulk mail, she’s doing us all a favor and should get a medal.

If there was any real mail (letters, packages, orders) then fire her ass.

22. rockelscorcho says:

This is a win/win. She got to hoard, which is her issue, and the public didn’t have to deal with useless mail, which only got recycled (hopefully).

23. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Actually, mental issues make people crazy and insane sometimes. I have no idea what he meant by that, but it was a categorically false statement.

• BDSanta2001 says:

He was suffering from his own mental problems when making that statement- “having a senior moment.”

24. mclark11 says:

Don’t forget that those postings cost companies – many of them small local stores and venues. Many small companies pay for these flyers with an expected success rate of about 3%. That’s enough pay for the mailings and make a small profit. What the woman did is basically steal from these companies who didn’t get their mailings delivered…

25. tundey says:

Poor lady. I think she needs a shrink. No not for stealing mail but for paying good money to rent space just so she can store junk mail.

26. reighvin says:

I think she stumbled on a way to save the USPS! Charge a small fee to have your junk mail removed before you ever get it. Charges something silly like $10 a year to have your junk mail routed directly to a recycle bin for you without ever seeing it.

• yabdor says:

And why should I pay extra to have mail that is already subsidized by me, that I don’t ask for in the 1st place, to be delivered somewhere else? You work for the govt don’t you?

27. AEN says:

Ten years of “stolen” bulk mail! I personally think she was doing everyone a favor.

28. SteveHolt says:

It makes them stupid? I don’t fucking think so. Someone with these obvious mental problems shouldn’t be lecturing us on mental problems.

29. JohnDeere says:

she should probably should be given a raise too for going above and beyond.

30. crispyduck13 says:

Since she technically does indeed have a mental illness which (I think) would be considered a disbility, can they actually fire her? I think that’s a thorny bush they’re about to walk into.

31. framitz says:

She belongs in jail period.
    I sympathize, but no way does she deserve another ‘chance’, this is the real world.

• crispyduck13 says:

The mentally ill do not belong in a traditional jail. They belong in a secured mental hospital to treat their illness.

32. Mrs. w/1 child says:

It the USPS years to figure out she was stealing mail. Oh, and they didn’t really figure it out, she confessed. At least she is a hoarder – not just a thief like most mail people in Chicago. I used to never get items that looked like they had money in them in the mail, my netflix came previewed and three days late, and my magazines often never showed up.

33. Jawaka says:

It appears that perhaps she does have some sort of illness but I think that its more likely that she can use it as an excuse to keep her out of jail than to keep her job. If she’s claims that she has a hoarding illness which caused her to steal mail then she’s pretty much admitting that she’s unable to perform the duties of the job. If she were allowed to keep her job the odds are she’d just do it again.

34. FrugalFreak says:

the amount of mail carriers have to deliver versus the route size and pay amount is the issue. they are too cheap to hire more workers to make routes smaller per employee.

35. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Batshitcrazthoarderladysayswhat?

36. PsiCop says:

Re: “‘This is a hording problem,’ she explains.”

Uh, no. It’s not a “hording” problem. Rather, it’s a “hoarding” problem. A good example of a “hording” problem was when the western Roman Empire was swallowed up by hordes of Germanic invaders. A “hoarding” problem is when you accumulate too much stuff that you have no pragmatic use for.

37. proliance says:

Geez lady, you’re 72 and you suck at a job you’ve been doing for 36 years. I think its time to retire.

38. Mr. Bill says:

I want her for my mail person. I hate all the please save the whatever junk mail.