3 Crazy Financial Stunts To Attempt

Saving money and slashing spending aren’t typically the most entertaining or intrinsically rewarding activities, but those who make a game of the act can entertain themselves and others with bold attempts at lofty financial goals.

Budgets Are Sexy identifies three financial challenges you can try for the sake of trying. Even if you fail, you’ll probably emerge more financially stable than when you started.

* Earn money by blogging. Blogger Edward is challenging all comers to try and earn $3,000, offering a $50 Amazon gift card to the one who does so the quickest. If it takes you longer, your consolation prize is that $3,000 you’ve made.

* A spending fast. Pick an amount of time and refuse to spend money during that period. You’ll need to surprise yourself with creative alternatives to problems you’d usually solve with money.

* A financial obstacle course. Set a series of manageable but inconvenient financial hurdles to overcome, such as reading a personal finance book, building something you’d normally buy, taking a five percent bite out of your debt and generating a $1,000 emergency fund.

3 Awesome Challenges to Try This Year [Budgets Are Sexy]

Comments

1. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Wait, and these are crazy … how?

I have considered blogging, because I do enjoy writing, but I do not think that my life is especially interesting. I am not an adventurous person. I am content to stay at home and play video games. I would need a gimmick to stand out in this blog-filled world, and all of the good gimmicks are taken. All that’s left is to make every post in limerick form. And that would get old fast.

So I’m sitting here having no fun
    Trying to get my post done.
    But I’d rather be lazy
    Or drinking, or crazy
    Or defending the walls of Whiterun.

• Cat says:

Can you do it in a dirty limerick?

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I’m writing a dirty limerick for Cat:
        Please wipe your feet on the mat!
        No manure or feces
        Or dust on the pieces
        Of crap your found in my flat.

• Platypi {Redacted} says:

I can appreciate you were first to respond, and still had time to include a limerick. Good show, kind sir!

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I used to host “Give me a topic, I write you a limerick” games in a forum I once frequented. People would name things like “apples” or “computers” or “things they found on/around their desk.”

While I am out of practice, I have not quite lost the knack. :D

• jono_0101 says:

whiterun…..nice…..

im sure you and the companions can handle anything that alduin can throw at it

• Arcaeris says:

I used to write limericks like you, until I took an arrow to the knee.

• kosmo @ The Soap Boxers says:

If you’re interested in writing a few limericks per month on various topics, send me an email (my web site info is in my profile).

• smartmuffin says:

I used to be a blogger like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

Bwaa ha ha ha!

I’d read it!

• Lance Corvette says:

I used to write odes, maybe I could blog my odes for money.

Ode to the Consumerist Thread on ways to make money with crazy financial stunts:

O, Consumerist thread on ways to make money with crazy financial stunts, you gave some helpful tips on how to save money none of which apply to me. Lo! perhaps some fellow poster will have some truly useful tips. If not tips, then well nigh an hilarious comment or two!

2. mingtae says:

I’m going to stand on the street corner with a sign that reads “Will blog for food”

• Cat says:

Chances are you’ll starve to death. Maybe you could blog about your slow painful death by starvation?

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

The Starvation Blog:
        Day 1
        Maybe I should have gone to a doctor before starting this journey, however, I am sure that everything will be fine. I am hungry, but I still have water, and lots of internets. If I get too hungry, I will google pictures of whatever sounds most delicious.

Day 2
        It is hard to focus, wow. I am more hungry than I thought I would be. I feel kind of woozy. Even brains are starting to sound tasty.

Day 3:
        Zombie Apocalypse.

• Conformist138 says:

Amazing… who knew it took less than a tenth of the time to starve into a zombie as it does to actually starve to death.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Well, in my reality, the Zombie Apocalypse is not “some virus that causes the dead to prey upon the living,” or whatever the cause, but rather, more, a zombie “panic” where someone is just cheerfully nomming on one of their neighbors or coworkers, a bystander freaks out, shotguns are brought into play, and society crumbles as people gleefully jump into the fray, accusing one another of being the undead without any regard for proof or reason, and shooting willy-nilly.

3. balthisar says:

My current “game” is paying off my mortgages with every bit of extra income I have. I already save enough, eat enough, and live enough, and it’s fun to see those balances go down and see the interest I’m saving.

Yes, I realize I could invest, but like I said, I already save enough, and this is just a game.

• csciguy says:

That’s currently my game as well. I save, contribute to my retirement, and anything extra is now going to the mortgage since savings rates are so low.

4. aleck says:

This is not a financial strategy, but an advertizing campaign to increase traffic to the said blogger’s site and increase his revenue. It is a legal pyramid scheme. You might as well start answering marketing questions for gift cards. Same thing.

• Edward Antrobus says:

I like to think of it as somewhere in between. I never expected my challenge to get picked up by Budgets Are Sexy and then that post getting picked up my The Consumerist. I was hoping to get a couple people to be accountability partners while I try to earn that much. But definately not a pyramid scheme; the challenge has a flat structure. And the prize? The Amazon gift card came from me answering surveys. :)

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

i wouldn’t be a good consumerist if i didn’t ask:
        does the gift card have an expiration date or inactivity fees?

• Edward Antrobus says:

It’s an Amazon gift card. Basically, how they work is you are emailed a code, which you then enter into Amazon and you receive a credit to you account to be used against your next purchase(s). No fees, no expiration.

5. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

We occasionally go through a “spending fast” a few times a year when the goal is to empty out the chest freezer and cupboards. Any time we’ve attempted a very rigid fast, of no expenses, it really does nothing but delay the purchase.

After two weeks of not spending any money, we usually need to make a major grocery store trip and fill up the cars with gas.

• TomClements says:

A great way to ensure that you don’t waste food by letting it expire. The bottom of the freezer and deep shelves of a pantry traditionally have very low ROIs.

6. Necoras says:

I have two 15 year mortgages (on two different properties) and between those and minimum payments on my wife’s student loans we’ll pay down our debt by quite a bit more than 5% over the next year.

If you structure your loans well, that’s not even a challenge. Now 10% would be difficult…

7. MonkeyMonk says:

Now is a great time to refinance if you haven’t done so already.

We just refinanced our main residence (5.25% old loan to 3.99% new loan) and knocked nearly $200,000 in interest payments off the life of our existing loan. We plan to keep making the same payments we had already been making which will chop 11 years off the life of the loan as well.

8. Chaluapman says:

I’m surprised they didn’t say “Become a Photographer!”

9. HogwartsProfessor says:

I might try the financial fast thing. I really REALLY need to learn how to take a little money for the week and not do anything else.

10. energynotsaved says:

I stop drinking booze for the month of January. Since I’m not drinking, I also don’t go out to dinner. By the end of the month, I drop those extra holiday 5 pounds and usually save about $300.00.

This year, I added not eating fast food more than once a week to the January list. I’m also trying to clean out the freezer and am cutting out a bit of grocery shopping… January is always my most productive month of the year.

11. Clyde Barrow says:

Crazy stupid financial stunt #1: Give your money to a broker.