Get The Government To Email You About Car Recalls

If your car manufacturer thinks your engine might catch on fire, it’s better to know sooner rather than later. You can streamline the process for discovering any car recalls by signing up with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Recall Notification by Email program.

Sign up for the program at this NHTSA page. You can tailor your updates to categories such as tires, child restraints, or motorcycles, as well as receive updates for all vehicles. There’s also the option to receive notifications about specific makes and model years.

The program has been in operation for about three years now. To make sure you get the messages, you might want to add donotreplyodi@dot.gov to your contacts list.

Subscribe to NHTSA’s Recall Notification E-mail System [NHTSA]

Comments

1. Bob Lu says:

2002 and earlier models are not included :(

Time to get a newer car?

2. Cat says:

Nope. I want a letter in the mail, not an email to get trapped in my spam filter, thank you.

3. Alisha Gray says:

~le signup~ Good to know about this.

4. Out For Delivery says:

This does not strike me as a service the government needs to be providing.

I have received several recall/warranty notices for both vehicles I own (a 2002 and 2010), and have never had a problem, even with moving a couple times. They come directly from Subaru or Toyota — not the dealership.

Why are we wasting money on this?

• Hi_Hello says:

this.

• Rachacha says:

First, the amount of money the government is spending Oman automated database emailing you is minimal. They already maintain an internal database and the email feature is likely just an additional function. While auto manufacturers tend to know your contact information as well as the cars you drive if you purchased from them or visit them for service, think about purchasing a used car from an independent dealer or individual or a private individual and you may not receive those notices in the mail.

• MMD says:

Out for Delivery would probably prefer that the guvmint not maintain a database at all, and that we all be left to fend for ourselves.

• Alisha Gray says:

This. I bought my 2006 Subaru Outback used. Subaru of America doesn’t have any information on me, because I didn’t get it from a dealer. Soooo yeah.

5. Southern says:

No offense to anyone, but this isn’t something new – in fact it’s been around since November 2008 (Officlal launch date November 07, 2008).

A better site to go to is http://www.safercar.gov/ — that site allows you to search and sign up for vehicle recalls, tire recalls AND Child Seat recalls.

6. DrRonster says:

Anybody notice the fees when you finally get to the end of the request for the bulletins?