Ways In Which Beer Can Be Good For You

While the drawbacks of booze swilling are well-known and extensively chronicled, there are also upsides to drinking beer. No one is calling beer a health drink, but suds apparently aren’t all bad for you.

According to Yahoo, here are some examples in which research has suggested that beer can benefit your health:

* It may strengthen bones. One study showed that subjects who had one ore two drinks a day had greater bone density than non-drinkers. The bad news: Those who drank extensively suffered more fractures.

* It could make your heart stronger. Moderate drinking might reduce your risk of heart disease and raise good cholesterol levels.

* It could be good for your brain. Light daily drinking could slow the brain’s decline and keep you mentally sharper in middle age.

* It helps prevent kidney stones. Researchers believe beer can help prevent dehydration and “leeching of calcium from bones” that leads to the development of the ailment.

Don’t take this as an endorsement of binge drinking, which can be bad for your diet, damage your liver and lead to alcoholism.

10 Surprising Health Benefits of Beer [Yahoo]

Comments

1. pop top says:

Ways In Which Lists Can Be Good For You

* They help organize your thoughts
    * They are easier to read than a long paragraph
    * They concisely convey information quickly to readers
    * They don’t make you think too hard
    * They require pretty much 0 effort

2. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

“…subjects who had one ore two drinks a day…

Must be IRN-BRU.

(Yes I know its not a beer; lemme have my fun D:)

3. Smiley Massacre says:

Really? Beer just makes me drunk and bloated. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

4. The Brad says:

“Well ya see, Norm, it’s like this… A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

“In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That’s why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

5. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I like how most of the pointers on the list are great big “maybes.”

• George4478 says:

Nothing that affects human physiology is universal. Every drug, vitamin, exercise, whatever is a “maybe” in whether or not it has a specific effect.

6. TomClements says:

I fit the 1 to 2 beers a day profile and didn’t see any benefit over the last year in my good cholesterol levels. The previous year I did not fit the profile. #Bummer #FishOil #Flax

7. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Large quantities of beer can also lower you inhibitions, making it easier to do things like talk to the opposite sex or dance.

• RiverStyX says:

The concept of white people dancing is extremely dangerous and should only be attempted by a well-trained professional in a dimly lit room among hundreds of other strangers. Never under any circumstance should white persons attend a company party while consuming more than 2 alcoholic beverages – 1 if a person is present with a video camera.

8. Cat says:

“Did you know that beer was critical to the birth of civilization? That‚Äôs right ‚Äì beer. Scientists and historians line up to tell the amazing, untold story of how beer helped create math, poetry, pyramids, modern medicine, labor laws, and America. If you think beer is just something cold and filling to drink during sporting matches or in the kind of bars that you probably shouldn‚Äôt order wine in, then, boy, are you ever in the dark.

It turns out beer is responsible for, like, all the greatest things on earth.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

The recipe for and celebration of beer is the on the oldest piece of written language ever found: a tablet from ancient Mesopotamia.

It was important enough these people found a way to write it down.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ve always been under the impression that the oldest written language was cuneiform script on ceramic vessels, indicating things like quantity, contents, and taxes.

9. Mr_D says:

Beer is always good for me.

10. Straspey says:

Ways In Which Beer Can Be Good For You – 9:00am

One could not *possibly imagine* a better or more relevant subject for a Monday morning – from a consumer-oriented site which is geared towards people with 9-5 jobs – who read and post on that site while sitting at their desks as work.

After a three-day weekend of binge-drinking, the very first thing I want to learn when I logon at my workstation are the ways in which beer might be good for me.

Oh – wait…I could’ve had one or two for breakfast !

/s

11. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

In the end, I attribute all of this to one statement:

Beer makes you exercise your ability to be moderately infeebled.

12. RiverStyX says:

I just thought I should mention that the author of SOPA, Lamar Smith, receives bribes and donations from the liquor lobby every year. What’s your anti-drug?

13. yabdor says:

I had an odd thought about this. I’m not sure this is confirmed as accurate or not but my understanding is that alcohol prevents the process of lining your arteries with plaque. “Plaque” is some kind of triglyceride. In the presence of alcohol it should transesterify into methylesters. This is precisely the process one goes through to make biodiesel. So perhaps it’s too simplistic an idea but I wonder if that beer is making biodiesel out of fat and alcohol. Granted you usually need some kind of catalyst like NaOH. But in the catalytic wonderland of enzymes I would think there’d be something to do the job. I wonder if we could get a grant. LOL!

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

“We’re going to study the effects of moderate alcohol use on arterial plaque. We’ll need um, medial equipment and lots of booze. It’ll be a 5-year study, and we want our participants to um … not have to do anything else but monitor their lifestyle and intake, so we’ll need to pay them too. Also the scientists will be in on this study. And also we need a stereo. For um. Science.”

• shufflemoomin says:

“…alcohol prevents the process of lining your arteries with plaque.” It doesn’t. It does thin the blood though.

14. powdered beefmeat says:

it’s even better when you make it (from scratch). Thank you President Carter!

15. Cat says:

* It makes it possible for obese and ugly people to get laid, too.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

LOL – Yes – see above:

“Did you know that beer was critical to the birth “

You could just stop right there :)

• Cat says:

I don’t require alcohol to have sex with attractive women. If it weren’t for booze, there would be a lot less ugly people breeding.

16. shufflemoomin says:

“It helps prevent kidney stones” No, it doesn’t. I’ve had kidney stones for years and I drink beer 4 or 5 nights a week. In fact, my nephrologist suggested I cut back on alcohol as it may help CAUSE kidney stones from dehydration the day after.

17. Shouhdes says:

It gets you drunk.

18. shthar says:

This list pretty much only pertains to heavy beers like guinnes.

Often prescribed for nursing mothers, and sober irishmen.