Burger King Testing The Potentially Whopper-Friendly Waters Of Delivery Service

For all those times you just need a Whopper but don’t want to go through the bother of putting on real pants and heading for the drive-thru, Burger King is bringing good news in the form of a trial delivery service in certain stores in the U.S.

Bloomberg News says there are four locations in Virginia and Maryland currently testing the delivery service, and that it will expand to 16 locations as soon as Jan. 23.

“We are currently testing the service to bring this convenience to the U.S.,” Kristen Hauser, a spokeswoman for Burger King, said. She didn’t say whether the service would roll out nationwide if it’s deemed successful.

Deliveries are available between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m., and each will cost $2 with a minimum order of $8 to $10. Customers can order online or by phone, with specially marketed delivery options like 40-piece chicken tenders and two bottled drinks for $10.99 and four large sandwich combos for $23.99.

Don’t expect to order up a large chocolate shake to sate your hankering for cold ice cream goodness, however, as Burger King won’t be delivering fountain drinks, milkshakes, coffee or breakfast foods.

Burger King Tests Whopper Delivery Service in U.S. to Help Sales [Bloomberg News]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Great! Now they can not only get my order wrong, but DELIVER IT, too!

Also… In other countries, Mc Donalds and Burger King have been delivering food for years.

2. backbroken says:

Can they stop by CVS and pick up my insulin on the way?

3. axhandler1 says:

We were just talking about this the other night. If someone was to establish a business in my town where you could call them up and have someone deliver fast food like Wendy’s, they’d make a fortune. It would have to be open till at least 2 a.m. though.

• Marlin says:

let me guess, “we” were high last night.

Don’t quit your day job.

• axhandler1 says:

Lol, drunk, actually. And out of food at the house. Terrible situation to find yourself in.

• Doubting thomas says:

Ran a service like this with a friend when I was in college. Call us and we would pick up anything from a local fast food or retail shop and deliver it to your home/dorm. We charged a 15% markup on whatever we bought and picked up from you. We were in business for 4 months and ran at a loss. Most people weren’t lazy enough to pay for delivery. At least 90% of our calls were delivered to clouds of pot smoke, half the time they did not have the cash to pay us when we arrived.

I will grant that we had some problems on out end (we were broke disorganized college kids who couldn’t accept credit cards and wouldn’t accept checks.) But there is a definite connection between people too lazy to get their own food and people to poor to pay for someone to do it for them.

• Dami-chan says:

There are services like that here in Omaha, they’ll go anywhere from a fine dining place to McDonalds for you… the problem is they charge an arm and a leg to do it.

And that’s before the diabetes can take them!
      Doh’hohohohoho!!

• Jerem43 says:
  4. Tegan says:

Psh, who needs real pants for the drive-through? At any rate, I’m all for anything that further enables my laziness as it pertains to acquiring food. And Burger King has veggie burgers.

5. Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Of the burger-chain trifecta (BK, McD, and Wendy’s) THIS is the one I would pay delivery charges for.

I never have to leave my house ever again.

6. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I am so down for this idea. I wonder if one of the local BK’s is doing it–I’m in northern VA.

I like their onion-ring-BBQ-sauce burgers. I could eat ten of them.

7. deathbecomesme says:

This sounds pretty awesome. BK’s beef burgers are great but their fries/sides suck a$$

• layton59 says:

Burger King has a great $1.00 salad. It has shredded cheese and tomatoes. You get Ken’s salad dressing and be sure they give you a bag of croutons. All in all the best $1.00 salad coming or going. That last line fits nicely with the home delivery concept.

8. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

good luck finding drivers willing to live off tips from $5 orders.

• binder34 says:

Given that there’s a delivery fee plus a minimum order required for delivery, I’m pretty sure that the payment structure won’t require any drivers to “live off tips from $5 orders.”

• Azagthoth says:

Are you kidding? In this economy there will be college grads willing to do it.

9. Costner says:

In other news, Paula Deen has diabetes.

I think you are smart enough to find the commonality between fast food delivery and a diabetic chef who averages one pound of butter per recipe.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Paula delivers diabetes to my home via television.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

I thought there wasn’t any conclusive evidence to link diet to the onset of Type 2 Diabetes…

• Marlin says:

??? I think you have it backwards maybe???

“primary cause of type 2 diabetes is obesity in someone who is genetically predisposed.”

and

“Type 2 diabetes is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary modification.”

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Hm, how odd. All the hits I’m getting on Google Scholar are telling me a different story.

• Marlin says:

Type1 is the more rare born with one. (had a friend with this)

Type2 is mostly the fat A_S sits on butt and blames others. ;-) Or in Paula Deen’s mind uses it to sell drugs for those that eat like her. Win win for her. She sells more cook books and then makes money selling drugs to offset eating from her cookbooks. “Circle of life…”

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

But again, most cases show genetic predisposition to developing Type-2 Diabetes, in addition to obesity and poor diet. It’s been shown that in a majority of cases that these two things exist simultaneously.

What I was asking was if has yet to be conclusively proven that one thing (bad diet / obesity) leads to the other (diabetes) and doesn’t merely co-incidentally co-exist or some other statistical weasel-wording.

10. The Brad says:

They should consider having deliveries until 3am. That way they can deliver food to the stoner crowd.

• deathbecomesme says:

um..hello…Stoners don’t have jobs so they can order deliveries whenver they wan

• tsukiotoshi says:

Some stoners can afford it. And its certainly safer than having them drive to get their late night fast food fix. When I worked the Wendy’s drive through back in the day it was not uncommon to have a car pull up, roll down the window, and release a heavy cloud of pot smoke.

• noahproblem1 says:

Well, if you’re going to stay open late for that market segment, why not just go all the way to twenty minutes past four o’clock?

11. Hoss says:

Seems like a great convenience for people that can’t fit out their front door. No need to place minimum orders there

12. Vox Republica says:

I used to live near an intrepid McDonald’s in the Bronx that offered delivery service. If I had to estimate how much money that operation made, I’d have to say Texas with a dollar sign in front of it. If Burger King aggressively pursues the… let’s say urban horticulture market, they will make at every of the monies.

13. Actionable Mango says:

One more step in the gradual decline of civilization.

14. TheWillow says:

mcdonald’s by my apt already delivers… with online ordering no less… my roommate says he’ll kick me out if I ever order it though.

15. crispyduck13 says:

“We are currently testing the service to bring this convenience to the U.S…”

Right, because that’s what the U.S. needs more of: convenience.

16. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Man, just wait until the food nannies get wind of this. Now people in this area won’t even have to expend the calories needed to get off the couch and into the car to get to the drive through window! They will just have to walk from the couch to the front door. Oh boy.

17. orangejuice says:

Noooooooooo….

-My Arteries

18. Nobby says:

Delivery driver: Sir, the restaurant forgot to put mayo on your burger but don’t worry, I stopped and put some on it for you.

• layton59 says:

And what do the delivery drivers put on all those pizzas they deliver? If your timid on burger deliveries then you should also doubt pizza and chinese food deliveries.

19. Dave on bass says:

My fiancee’s got coworkers who tried the BK delivery service out sometime in December. They don’t recommend it at all. Here’s what I was told:

- They ordered their food
    - After some extended period of time, they decided they were tired of waiting, so they ordered pizza.
    - They received *and ate* their pizza, AND THEN the BK guy arrived.

I can’t speak to any of the inevitable “why didn’t they just call the BK and ask about the delay?” type responses that may crop up, though; I just relayed every bit of information I was given on the subject. They may well have done that, I just don’t know.

• Dave on bass says:

Oh, and this was in the Alexandria VA area – they work off 395, I don’t know the corresponding BK location.

20. AllanG54 says:

The last time I ate a Whopper it wasn’t that particularly hot temperature wise so I can only imagine what it’s going to taste like after being in the delivery person’s car for 15 or 20 more minutes.

21. Jawaka says:

“Don’t expect to order up a large chocolate shake to sate your hankering for cold ice cream goodness, however, as Burger King won’t be delivering fountain drinks”

So we can’t order combos? Or we can but just won’t get the drink for the same price?

22. There's room to move as a fry cook says:

The revised menu didn’t reverse BK’s fortunes so the marketing solution to fewer people going to BK is to go to your house and jam it down your throat?

23. SteveHolt says:

McDonalds near my house used to deliver. If I stood on my roof I could just barely make out the building, and yet it took them around an hour to make it to my house. Just call 774-FRYS for horrible food delivered right to your door!

24. TennesseeJeff says:

It would almost seem like PepsiCo/Yum Brands is better situated for this. After all, haven’t we all seen KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut in the same building. And they already have an online and delivery infrastructure with Pizza Hut.

Now if we could just get an order of pasta, a couple of burritos and a bucket of chicken delivered…

25. jenniferrose76 says:

Here’s hoping Dunkin Donuts follows suit…THAT would make me happy!