FedEx Seems To Think Any Front Door Will Do For Package Delivery

Clayton was waiting at home for a very important package to arrive — his passport via a travel visa service — for which he had paid FedEx for overnight delivery. So when he his package was instead dropped off at a front door nearby, and not his own, he was a bit unnerved.

He says he heard a knock at the door, but by the time he got there, he saw someone who may have been a FedEx delivery driver walking away. According to Clayton she turned and saw him, but kept walking. Okay, he figured, that must have been for someone else in the building since there were no packages at the door. So where was his passport?

I checked online a few times in the next hour and noticed that my package had been marked as delivered and “Left at Front Door.” After walking around a bit I finally found my package delivered next door in a mailbox clearly marked with the wrong address with a list of names of the residents (none of which was mine).

I called FedEx to let them know what had happened, and mostly to politely ask whether there was anything that we could do to prevent future misdelivery, since being worried about a lost passport two weeks before travelling wasn’t a feeling I’m eager to repeat. The FedEx customer service agent dutifully informed me that leaving the doorway of the correct house (with a name labeled mailbox) to walk over and deliver to the house next door instead was “within the terms of the service I had paid for,” and let me know that in the future if I wanted things delivered to the right address, I should pay for signature receipt service.

When I expressed that in the future I wouldn’t be comfortable shipping with FedEx if this was the extent of the effort they make on expensive deliveries, he continued to remind me that I could pay more to have FedEx do their job correctly.

Clayton adds that it’s pretty impressive of FedEx to turn a call from a non-upset person into one that results in customer anger and frustration.

“Next time you’ve got an option with who delivers your packages, keep in mind that as far as FedEx is concerned ‘Left at front door’ means “Could see your house from where the package was delivered.’ “

Comments

1. Lethe says:

To be fair, they didn’t write that it was left at the OP’s front door…

• AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

They actually left it with Jim Morrison, frontman for The Doors.

• Fiona says:

To be fair, what kind of person sends their passport via ANY delivery service without requiring a signature? It seems a bit irresponsible. It’s not just about the potential loss to you. In the wrong hands, your passport can do a lot of damage. I hope it wasn’t the passport office sending it to him this way. If it was, I think having some words with them is in order.

• poehitman says:

To be fair, ANYONE paying as much as they charge for overnight service should have signature service included. They are asking him to pay extra for something that should be included free of charge upon request. At most, it requires an extra 60 seconds of a drivers time to get a signature.

• HogwartsProfessor says:

It is included, if the direct value of the shipment is over a certain amount. But that has to be entered by the shipper.

• dreamcatcher2 says:

People who may not be home at the time of delivery.

2. Jules Noctambule says:

‘Coming next: FedEx and UPS offer Select Service! We select a house, building or street corner to leave your package, and you get the fun of figuring out where it is!’

UPS is notorious for this in our neighbourhood; I don’t think the guy down the block has ever had an Amazon package actually reach his house without someone else on the street bringing it to him. Still, it blows my mind that a company would not only defend this practice but outright state that a customer has to pay for an upgrade if they want what they ordered to be delivered to them instead of to some total stranger.

• The Porkchop Express says:

like geocaching (or whatever the spelling is)!!

• Jules Noctambule says:

Exactly! See, it’ll be fun for the whole family!

• catastrophegirl chooses not to fly says:

if they’d leave GPS coordinates that might at least help for people who have GPS locators

• racermd says:

…or know the exact lat/lon coordinates of their home so they can at least calculate whether the delivery location was north, south, east, or west of them and by how much.

Just saying that you don’t need to have a GPS locator to figure out where something is in relation to something else, particularly where one location is at a fixed location and should be easy to use as a reference (your home).

3. FreeMarketFan says:

When the stuff you can’t find leaves you in a bind that’s logistics

4. Darrone says:

Leela: Fry, we have a crate to deliver.
    Fry: Well let’s just dump it in the sewer and say we delivered it.
    Bender: Too much work. Let’s burn it and *say* we dumped it in the sewer.

• dolemite says:

I’m also reminded of when she throws a delivery in the general direction of the planet they are delivering it to and it flies into a star and explodes (and I think popcorn came out).

5. angelmvm says:

I thought FedEx wasn’t legally allowed to USE a mailbox. Those are specifically reserved for the USPS only.

• SpiffWilkie says:

I think the point of the mailbox was just that her name was on it. I don’t think the OP expected the driver to put the package inside.

• PHRoG says:

No, the OP said the FedEx dude put it inside someone else’s mailbox for the wrong address.

• SabreDC says:

Depends on the mailbox. According to the US Code, “Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house mailboxes are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725″. It’s hard to say with certainty that the mailbox in question is usable by FedEx or not. But it’s possible that it can be one of the types that private carriers can use.

• DarkPsion says:

Tell me about it. We had to go to roadside delivery for our mail recently. My old mail box was one of those extra large ones because I get a lot of packages and I thought, “Hey, why not make this one a package drop box for Fed Ex and UPS!”

I contacted them and USPS to find out how I needed to do this and they were all “What??” They acted like no one ever asked that question before. And USPS was all “You Can’t do that!”

Luckily the same couple of guys deliver for UPS and Fed Ex, and once I told them, it was “Sure, no problem.”

• joako says:

If you own the mailbox you can tell anyone you wish to put whatever you request in the box. FedEx, etc just can’t use it, but if you tell them to I don’t see what the issue is.

6. Thorzdad says:

Close enough is good enough.

7. Quirk Sugarplum says:

Weird-ish Fed-Ex thing happened Saturday. A driver zipped onto my porch, dropped a package and was backing out before I got to the door. My house # is clearly marked, as is my neighbor’s. Turned out the package was for her. I was leaving shortly and thought I’d just drop it by her house on the way and so left it on the porch.

A few minutes later I saw him driving in front of my house sloooowly, stopping every few yards as if trying to figure out where he was. I thought he’d somehow realized his mistake. But no. He finally pulled into my driveway, waited a moment and then backed out again, going on his merry way.

8. NashuaConsumerist says:

FedEx has been getting worse and worse. I used to like them more than UPS. In just the past week I’ve had two bad experiences with them. Last week our paychecks (that were sent to the business to be dispersed to the employees, we’re a small company) were left in the rain on the doorstep of the business next door. Thankfully, the other company brought them to us and they were only partly soggy. Personally, they delivered a package signature required to the factory down the street instead of my door. The thing is, I would have never known where it went if I didn’t have a friend who worked there to tell me he had a package for me. The sketchy part, before I knew where it went I called FedEx to tell them it was never delivered and was told “The driver has picked it up and it going to deliver it to you today” only to find out that was a lie because it was in my friend’s possession and he was bringing it to me.

9. Kaleey says:

OMFG. “leaving the doorway of the correct house (with a name labeled mailbox) to walk over and deliver to the house next door instead was “within the terms of the service I had paid for” “

Seriously? Fedex is not paid to deliver your package to you (with their overnight service), but to deliver it to “somewhere,” which may or may not be near where you live?

“If you want things delivered to the right address, pay for signature receipt service.” No, apparently you can pay USPS to deliver it instead. The only way that a signature would stop the driver from delivering to the wrong house would be because the person at the door would say “I didn’t order anything. This isn’t me.”

This DEMANDS an EECB – a definitely naming the CSA who quoted this. I hope Clayton wrote that person’s name down. I’d like to see this go viral – maybe Clayton can get a recording of that policy. I would have demanded to speak with a supervisor (after the stunned shock wore off), at the very least. A shipping company saying that their basic policy is to NOT NECESSARILY deliver your package to the right address is something EVERYONE should hear about.

• Difdi says:

And what is to stop the driver from signing the signature receipt themselves when they deliver it? Last I checked, “Front Door” didn’t have hands, let alone opposable thumbs.

• bwcbwc says:

Now will people start using USPS again? certified mail FTW.

10. Hotscot says:

I must be brain dead this morning..what does this mean?

“a mailbox clearly marked with the wrong address with a list of names of the residents”

The mailbox was marked with a wrong address?

11. crispyduck13 says:

The thing I don’t understand is why did the Fedex person walk over to another door and leave the package there? They were already at the correct door, and knew they were at the correct door (thus the knocking). The package apparently didn’t need a signature to leave it (they left it in front of another door without making contact with anyone).

This deliverer seems to have made an *effort* to actually leave the package at the wrong door. That is what is so incredibly shitty about this story. For the FedEx phone rep to suggest that this sort of fuckery could be ammended by the customer paying extra fees is the ludicrous icing on this crappy cake.

12. blogger X says:

Kinda related to the questionable methods tag, Last month I ordered a computer, UPS delivered it three houses down from where I live. Thank goodness I live around honest (but nosy-ass) neighbors!

• phsiii says:

Why “thank goodness”? Better the computer disappears, FedEx gets to eat the cost — then they might have the local manager killed.

Around here, FedEx and UPS both do a fine job, most of the time. OK, there was the time they left a trailer hitch in the driveway, where I almost drover over it…but they’d damaged it already at that point, so they already got to take it back and redeliver an undamaged one.

If you pay by credit card, you’re protected, so don’t take any ****. If they deliver it to the wrong place, then you didn’t get it. Period.

• blogger X says:

Your option B is funny, but it was a Christmas gift. Although I’ve always wanted to have a story to share on Consumerist…sooner or later it’ll happen!

13. Fast Eddie Eats Bagels says:

Had this happen to me with UPS. The tracking system stated left by front door but it was no where to be found. Checked with both my neighbors but they didn’t receive the package. Called up UPS and they were no help at all and blamed the shipper for not requesting a signature. I called up the business I order from, The Vermont Candy Store, and they sent another order free of charge.

Good on the store for getting me the rare french cream candy for a Christmas gift on time, and bad on UPS for not giving a damn just because the tracking system said delivered.

• crispyduck13 says:

I just don’t understand how that’s not a breach of contract on UPS’s part. I’m really annoyed that this sort of thing is apparently acceptable to USPS, UPS and FedEx, it’s bullshit. You pay them to physically move some thing from one location to another specified location. If they fail to do that why isn’t that a big deal? IT’S ALL THEY DO!!

One time I sent a package USPS to a customer and though the tracking number indicated “delivered”, the customer never got it. I had to dig the location out of the phone rep and found out it was delivered to some huge warehouse the next town over. The ultimate bullshit was that I had to call the damn warehouse myself to find my package and set it aside for the customer to pick up. This wasted my time, the warehouse’s time and the customer’s time and money since she had to drive over there. USPS refused to get involved, they were assholes the whole time. In the end the damn thing was broken beyond repair so I had to get the money back from the insurance and make a brand new one for the customer.

I have never used USPS to ship anything other than a letter since, but it doesn’t matter because they all suck!

• phsiii says:

It may be a breach — but their contract is with the *shipper*, not you. So Amazon (or whoever) would need to yell at UPS. Is that in their best interest? Not unless this happens enough times. See http://xkcd.com/325/ (make sure to hover for popup!).

• crispyduck13 says:

USPS broke their aggreement with ME, the shipper in my example. The only reason I got the insurance to cover the loss was because the contents were damaged on top of being delivered to the wrong location.

The point is they don’t care, they have obviously overloaded their staff to the point of desperation (throwing boxes, driving away as fast as possible), while increasing their retail costs. Even with the cost of fuel rising I wonder how their profit’s compare to a few years ago?

• Gorbachev says:

What really bugs me about stories like this, is that FedEx, UPS and USPS don’t seem to care at all. They don’t give a flying f*** about whether they’re offering good service or not.

To hell with these companies. The sooner they burn down the better.

• notfromaroundhere says:

“lets eat it and *say* we delivered it”

14. RandomTech says:

I just had the same style of service from FedEx last night.

- Package to be delivered by noon (per website and payment for service)
    - As of 5pm, no package.
    - I call, they say it’s on a truck and I shouldn’t bother them until 8pm (when the drivers are done for the day). Until then, it’s not late.
    - I call again at 7:45pm and am told that the “by noon” package is NOT DELAYED. My clock says otherwise. They tell me to keep waiting.
    - Driver shows up at 7:59 and throws the box on my porch without knocking. I run out to ask wtf…she says she’s too busy to stop. Drives off.
    - I call corporate and they tell me that I have no grounds for complaining, since I have my package and then hang up on me. I call again and am told that since I wasn’t the originator of the package (it was an online order…I’m the recipient, not the sender), they owe me nothing. Again, I’m hung up on.

Awesome service there guys. *golfclap*

• Jevia says:

I think its BS that a customer who pays for the service, even though the package gets delivered to FedExp from the business, can’t complain because they didn’t send it. Of course, the business can’t complain (even if they would) because they didn’t pay for the service.

Sounds like a Consumer Fraud Act claim to the Attorney General might help.

• Kaleey says:

Actually, they probably DID pay for the service, but they passed along the charges to you. Most large scale shippers have a shipping account – shipments are billed to that account and they square up at the end of the week or month.

• whylime says:

I would complain to the company that sold you the items. Hopefully if they get enough complaints, they’ll stop using Fedex as a shipper. I know companies like Amazon like to know this kind of thing. They don’t want their packages getting lost or damaged during shipping and then needing to be replaced any more than we do.

15. graytotoro says:

I seem to have the most trouble with OnTrac and not FedEx or even UPS. OnTrac threw a package of lightbulbs through my gate onto a brick floor.

Yes. Lightbulbs.

Fortunately they were of the small G9 type and Amazon wrapped them up nice and snug so nothing was broken.

16. oldwiz65 says:

FedEx is quite comfortable to leave packages as long as the house number matches. I live in a neighborhood where there are four houses within a block, and FedEx seems to just pay attention to making sure that packages for number 4 can be left at any house in the neighborhood that has a number 4 on it. Never mind that my mailbox has both the house number and street name on it in the biggest letters I could fit on it and it’s easily readable from the street. Packages still go to the wrong number 4.

17. Cock Robin says:

This is stupid. I thought *everyone* on the planet knew that the only way to guarantee delivery of important shipments was to insist on a “direct signature”. So FedEx wants to charge a little more this service. Get over it.

• Sinabu says:

What’s the point of direct signature? Fedex delivered my iPhone from AT&T to my neighbor and they signed for it… Thankfully the neighbor was honest enough

• Kaleey says:

Except that YOU (the recipient) are not the one selecting the service level in most cases. And you can’t control what the shipper will select. And the signature required doesn’t guarantee anything either, based on the other reply.

And the point of putting an address on the package is that the package goes to that address. Not the one next door, or down the street, or two towns away. Regardless of service level, that is the purpose of shipping the package.

• Difdi says:

So you do require a signature…so what? The package will still be left wherever the driver feels like it, and the driver will simply forge your name to the receipt. And you’ll have paid extra for the exact same level of service.

Win-win?

18. Vox Republica says:

Reading FedEx terms and conditions is like slamming one’s face into a brick wall made of dumb. The actual term and condition the CSR was evidently referring to:

“A. We do not offer a restricted-delivery service and may deliver to someone other than
    the person or entity named as the recipient. We also may make an indirect delivery.
    Indirect delivery is a completed delivery to an address or location other than the address
    on the airbill and includes shipments delivered via Indirect Signature Required service.
    Packages cannot be delivered to P.O. boxes or P.O. box ZIP codes. Package addresses
    must include the complete street address and ZIP code of the recipient.”

I think I can speak without fear of contradiction: the people that crafted the FedEx terms and conditions deserve to be catapulted into the side of a burning building.

19. Gorbachev says:

I wonder if the people on whose property these mis-delivered packages arrive would have a valid claim for charging FedEx or UPS for services rendered?

I think I’m going to try, if this happens at where I live.

20. Velifer says:

Hey, at least you GOT your package. I usually just find the sopping wet shards of a delivery attempt sticker in the bushes in the side yard weeks later.

21. juggler314 says:

I didn’t see anyone in the comments below that actually knows how FedEx works. It’s simple – there’s a form to fill out – it has lots of options. One of them concerns the actual delivery the cheapest option is just to leave it at the address, next is signature required – but could be from anyone and third is direct signature – where the signature must be from the person it’s being shipped to. Most people do not select the “Direct Signature” option – and if someone else is doing the shipping you may have no control over what they select. When I use FedEx for shipping anything remotely expensive or time critical for business I always select that option.

Try not to bash FedEx for something that’s clearly stated on the order form (I’m sure there are a lot of people who only ever receive FedEx and don’t send it).

• juggler314 says:

although granted it should at least be at the correct address – still I often would rather have to go next door than not get a package…

• Jevia says:

Its very unlikely the OP filled out the form. What happened is he paid the visa travel service to deliver his passport via Fed Exp. He gave the service money, and they filled out the form. Very likely, they only gave him one “fed exp” option, which didn’t happen to include signature service. So the OP had no real choice.

• Difdi says:

And if you do check the direct signature box, what prevents the delivery driver from forging your signature?

• RocheCoach says:

So you’re basically advocating that we pay extra for them to do their job right? It doesn’t matter what method of delivery the OP asked for. Their package got delivered to the wrong address, and the company responded, “well, next time, pay extra to get it delivered to the right address.”

22. Kaleey says:

I guess the biggest problem with all shippers is that the person they tick off is not their customer, in the literal sense of the word. You did not pay them to deliver the package, the person sending it to you did. As such, they do not give a rat’s patootie that YOU are unsatisfied.

• crispyduck13 says:

Maybe Consumerist should put out a PSA reminding online shoppers that they need to follow up their UPS/FedEx/USPS complaints with the vendor who shipped the items. If enough people were to get on Amazon’s case about screwed up deliveries something might actually improve.

• whylime says:

I agree. Whenever OnTrac pulls this crap, I make sure to tell Amazon. I’ve heard of Amazon changing the shipping company for certain areas after hearing complaints. I’m sure vendors would appreciate finding out if a shipping company has been pulling these kind of shenanigans, since it’s in their best interest to hire a good shipping company, anyway. I’m sure they don’t like the packages they send to become lost or damaged, since they are the ones that have to replace them.

23. CreditSense-CreditRecovery says:

Maybe it’s part of a new money saving campaign. Fedex only drives to the first house in a neighborhood and dumps packages there so they don’t have extra fuel consumption. I can see this saving them millions.

• sunnypies says:

on the shipping form if you select “no signature required” which is the cheapest shipping option then they can legally leave it at your neighbors door with good faith they will let the recipient know about it. People need to start thinking outside the box for important deliveries like using the “hold at location” option where you tell fedex what fedex office you want to have it delivered to and the package is locked up until you picked it up at fedex office.

24. sunnypies says:

Just some common sense, if you have an important package then just have it shipped to a nearby Fedex Office for free and they keep those packages locked up securely until you go in and pick it up. This is especially good for people in apartments.

25. Kestris says:

This sort of thing makes me glad I know both the UPS driver and the FedEx driver that deliver on my street. This nearly insures I won’t get screwed by either service on deliveries TO my house.

26. WildGibberish says:

We don’t have all the particulars of this delivery, but to give FedEx some leeway, they do have a direct signature option that requires someone at the address to sign for the package, an indirect signature that allows it to be delivered to a neighbor and signed for. With out either of those, the driver could either put it some place they felt it was safe, or, if there was not place the felt it was safe, taken it back and tried to deliver it later. It seems to me that they felt the closed box next door was safer than in front of the door. I would also question whether she actually saw him. Even if she looked his way, unless she waved or something else to show that she actually saw him I don’t know that I would believe that.

27. who? says:

I spent Christmas break at home, house sitting for several different neighbors who were out of town. Mostly that consisted of redelivering packages. Every single day, there was at least one package that was left on the wrong front porch.

It didn’t seem to matter which company it was, delivering the package seemed to consist of throwing it onto some porch within a few doors of the correct house, and calling it “delivered.”

The UPS guy seemed to have the best arm. He could throw packages from halfway across the yard and have them land on the porch.

28. Sarek says:

FedEx – when it absolutely, positively, has to be [somewhere in the vicinity] overnight.

29. debjwhe says:

YES!!! Someone else who’s had the exact same problem I’ve had with FedEx and he also got the same “great” customer service I received. Are they awesome or what!?!?!?!?

30. calchip says:

FedEx used to be extraordinary. I can remember several times when they had delayed or misrouted packages and they put them on commercial flights and had a special courier bring them to me. And Fred Smith (founder) was quoted years ago as saying “99% of our packages are delivered on time, and that’s not acceptable. If we handle a million packages, it means 10,000 people didn’t get what they paid for, and that isn’t right. We’re working for as close to 100% as we can get.” More recently, he was quoted as saying something to the effect that “Well, 85% of our packages are delivered on time, and we think that’s pretty good.”

I don’t know what happened, but my guess is they just got cheap and greedy and don’t give a fuck any more.

31. xanadustc says:

If FedEx and UPS merged, would it be called FedUP?

32. Silverhawk says:

FedEx and (and as of today, UPS) do this to me several times a year. They leave packages at my neighbor’s doorstep. Granted, there’s one digit of difference in our addresses, but our homes look nothing alike. I get frequent deliveries, so it’s not like they’re not used to stopping at the correct house.

33. q`Tzal says:

Is FedEx now facilitating ID theft?

I would venture to guess that fraudulent delivery of official United States Identification documents is at least a felony.

34. ShreeThunderbird says:

I have never had a problem with FedEx, but I definitely have with UPS. First, UPS will not deliver to my house in the Winter even though I keep my road plowed. In a way I don’t blame UPS because their trucks are two-wheel drive and have bad looking tires. However, UPS has sometimes left packages for me in the snow near the mailboxes on the main road. I do not have a mail box there. Now I try to get shippers to either deliver via FedEX or to my P.O. Box via USPS.

35. ancientone567 says:

I just use the USPS and I rarely have issues and if I do they are quickly resolved. Their drivers don’t seem to be on crack like the FEDEX drivers.

36. nikalseyn says:

Lucky he didn’t have UPS deliver it. Those unionized dopes would have delivered it two weeks late AND to someone in Topeka, Kansas!

37. HomerSimpson says:

“Hey at least we didn’t throw it over the fence! That’s gotta count for something!”

38. PsychoRaven says:

Well the first mistake made was using Fed Ex. I’ve honestly never once had a good experience with them. Packages either disappear and never arrive, are just thrown down on the ground and torn to hell, or claimed that nobody was home when I damn well was with my front window open.

That’s why I refuse to use them. I’d rather pay more and use UPS or the USPS because both have always been great for me.

39. É®îç says:

Same thing happened to me right before Christmas. Ordered some Christmas cards and I was at home all day when delivery was supposed to happen (by 3pm according to the Fed Ex site). At 4 pm I saw that I still didn’t get my cards. Checked the tracking number and saw that my cards were delivered. They were left at the front door. I walked around my entire house and didn’t find the package. I went back inside and saw that the package was signed by someone other than me. I thought for a few minutes and remembered seeing the name before on a mailbox about a half a mile down the road. I dove down to the house and located my package. Other packages for people on my street were there too. I didn’t even bother calling FedEx. I just emailed the people I got my cards from and got a refund on my shipping.

40. Mac G says:

I average probably 3-4 packages a week delivered to my home, and I’ve had very few problems fromFedEx, USPS, or UPS. But once, some lady about 2 miles away found a FedEX package for me literally right in the middle of her cul-de-sac. She actually delivered it to me herself. Tracking said it was delivered to my porch.

41. diagoro says:

Seems that most major corporations are more interested in finding ways to limit customer options to proper service than actually providing quality work/service/goods. Like the contract terms forcing arbitration, it’s squeezing out every penny.

Does Fedex/UPS even advertise to the regular person any longer? All the adds I can recall were about optimizing the business experience for corporations/businesses. The little man has really been lost in the shuffle…..

42. Robert Nagel says:

This doesn’t sound right. I have dealt with FedEx for 25 years and they just don’t seem to have this attitude. Now if he was talking about UPS, then all bets are off.

43. Joshieca says:

I have had this happen to me three times in San Diego, twice with FEDEX and once with UPS. Spoke with a manager each time for both partys and was assured that it wouldnt happen again. Sometimes we as consumers have no choice of who the sender uses for shipping .I guess you get what you pay for these days. :(

44. Galium says:

This is all the post office’s fault with their leaving packages at the correct address and give FUex a standard that they can not live up to.

45. Twonkey says:

FedEx is terrible. I don’t live in a bad neighborhood or anything like that, it’s just that the driver on this particular route is a lazy asshole. He just marks a delivery exception every time without bothering to make an honest delivery attempt, and then drops it off at either the local FedEx Kinkos or FedEx HQ. If he drops it off at the Kinkos it’s okay since it’s open until 9PM and I can swing by after work. If he drops it at FedEx, then I have to head in before work to get my packages. It’s not a huge problem really, but I’ve got someone at home at all times, so there’s no reason why I should have to make a tripe at all. It’s become so annoying that I typically avoid buying from online retailers who only have FedEx delivery as an option if I can get what I’m looking for elsewhere.

46. bwcbwc says:

You might want to contact the passport service about this. There’s a fair chance that delivering secure documents like passports to the wrong address is a violation of their contract with passport services.

47. JasonH says:

When I lived in a college dorm, the delivery guy would knock on your door and all of your neighbors’ doors ant the same time. Whoever opened first got the package. You knew your package was there, because nobody else knocked on all four doors.

48. bkdlays says:

Fedex sucks. For weeks they would continuously delivery to different addresses as they felt fit. One time they delivered it to our shop instead of the office and it sat for years. Meanwhile a ebay dispute happened, paypal, chargeback, the whole nine. They were miles apart by the way.

Years later we found it in the dust as it was left outside our door. They lied about where it went. They lied about who signed for it. What a joke when I called them about it.

49. patternbuilder says:

I requested special service on an Xmas delivery because one of the neighbors takes packages and mail belonging to people in the condo’s around her. This woman will claim to be a friend of the person getting the package and will talk the delivery person into giving her the goods. Though she has been caught, she still owns the condo and still lives there.
    I asked the FedEx Kinko’s rep to add instructions to only give it to someone actually IN the house. She entered 9 lines of extra instructions in their comment section – very tedious for her, but the computer system didn’t make it easy for her with a 45 character comment line.
    My sister got all the kids’ presents just fine.
    I did pay for the signature service, but the thief next door had forged signatures as well, so that wasn’t a protection.

50. akaedl says:

Had the same problem last week (FEDEX) with a package delivered to the street behind me with a similiar name and address.I saw a FEDEX package on the doorstep on the way to work the next morning. Also received a text that said it was delivered, so I contacted the FEDEX dispatcher who advised that a supervisor would be notified / took my phone number. I received a call from the supervisor, who appologized and said that I would get it re-delivered. It was on my doorstep the next evening. The next day, someone from FEDEX called to verify that I received it. That said, it was NOT within sight of my front porch.

51. dchs says:

What could be more fun than having a treasure hunt in your own neighborhood for your package?