Jenny Craig And Purina Team Up To Slim Down Your Pudgy Pet

Has your pooch just been longing to fit back into her skinny leash? Or perhaps your cat is well, too fat for your lap. Jenny Craig and Purina don’t want your furry friend to languish in chubbiness, which is why they’ve teamed up help you slim down your pet.

Project Pet Slim Down puts it this way — what better workout partner than your pet? There’s no judging, and you can feel like you’re in it together. “If you and your pet are both looking to get to a healthy weight, you can be each other’s strongest allies,” says the website, via our eagle-eyed elders at Consumer Reports.

Once you’ve gotten permission from your vet to go forward, the plan includes exercise tips and discount coupons for Purina Veterinary Diet, which you can only procure from your vet. Owners can track their pets progress online and chronicle the whole thing on Facebook. You know, if that’s your thing.

And for the human part of this equation, Jenny Craig offers a free 30-day support program, but you buy the food. That can get pricey –¬†Consumer Reports testers paid $264 plus $65 shipping for two weeks’ worth of meals.

Next thing you know, your dog will learn to trip you on the way to the freezer for that pint of ice cream at 2 a.m. That’s the kind of plan that would really work.

Jenny Craig and Purina team up to fight fat cats and dogs [Consumer Reports]

Comments

1. Coffee says:

Hahahaha…shut up, Purina…one of the reasons that pets are overweight is that there are too many fillers in lower quality dog foods, reducing the protein content and requiring the animal to eat more. And Purina is generally lower quality.

• Fonsworth says:

I know a pet weight loss program sounds silly but for some people it can save thousands in obesity related injury vet bills, especially if your fat dog tears his or her crucite ligament.

Purina is offering this with their OM [overweight management] veterinary diet. Where I live and at my Vets office we never heard of the Jenny Craig part. All we care about is giving clients discounts so their pet will lose weight as weight is a big problem. Diabetes, othopedic injuries, arthritis and other condtions can all be made much worse by obesity. The less illnesses their pet has, the happier the client is, and the happier we are [really we are disappointed when something isnt working]

An extra pound on some pets [small breeds, cats] is like an extra 30 on us, and we don’t think when we feed felix that cube of cheese that he gobbles down is actually equal to 3 hamburgers for a 130lb woman.

The diet works [I’ll say on most dogs, we have one that wont lose weight on it…although apparently this dog gets fed by the owners workmates secretly too], well before this promo we worked with about 10 clients JUST cutting out junk and lowering regular diet portions and walking more, then after a month switched to the OM if there was no loss. The pounds fell off. Instead of unnecessary shame at the scale clients became elated that the pet food investment was worthwhile. One dog lost 30lbs in 3-4 months! He went from fat to ripped. The key ingredient is a certain kind of soy protien that is known to promote weight loss.

By the way, all Big brand food is not shit like some here describe. Purina Diabetes diet [under the veterinary label] can make insulin dependant cats go from needing insulin twice daily to never needing it as long as they eat the high protein diet, which includes cooked corn [Not as a filler believe it or not]. Purina isn’t all shit, they just have to make shit like Cat Chow so even poor people can buy their food. I had a Purina rep more or less tell me that.

That said at the clinic I work at if your pet is doing well on its food even if its one we don’t like, we keep him or her on it if it works for him or her, if a prescription diet is needed or seen as a benefit we suggest it, and not always Purina, we pick the best of all the veterinary diets because we want success, not to mention some brands are better than others depending on the result you want.

• Coffee says:

I wasn’t talking about the specialty lines that Purina develops…of course as one of the nation’s largest brands, they’re going to have healthier lines and labels, but their basic chow is shit and costs the same as other, healthier options like Kirkland’s dog chow line…

One star: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-dog-chow/

versus

Four stars: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-dog-food/

• Fonsworth says:

We could go in circles about it, but yes I agree it may be overpriced for what it is as are many other foods that are likely cheaper and better….I might want to see the dog chows costco price compared to the kirkland [wholesale brand] dog food though but I see what you’re saying.

I don’t trust the site youre on [I wish there was a good site for dog food too because it would make my job a breeze] as they list foods as the best when they have had NO AFFCO feeding trial, they have ONLY been tested for chemical/nutritional contents. The AAFCO feeding trial is important because the food can meet the chemical requiremnts but at the same time cause horrible crystals and bladder stones in dogs, which I’ve seen with 3 major “premium” brands]. When you do food without the trial you make people’s pets the test subjects. [this is why we hate beneful despite the hiding behind purinas credibility, it has no AAFCO trial].

Also most importantly one CANNOT judge a pet foods quality based only on ingredients and estimated meat quality. They are looking for by product free food. By products depending on quality can be excellent. Hills uses a by product that is good, beef liver, its a by product of the beef industry… by products arent all guts and if they are consider that in the wild, cats more than dogs would eat the guts of prey as [primarily for dogs] carnivore digestive tracts are too short to digest vegetables/cereals and if they eat the guts, half the work is done for them.

Orijen, Solid Gold an other companies [who are on the good list there] have gotten in trouble out here for lying about other pet food companies. Solid Gold said major brands use euthanised animals as pet food filler. Orijen had to change their website to get rid of vet bashing after they started selling through the local vet wholsaler [They only know more than vets until we buy their untested food, they went as far to say you shouldn’t trust your vets advice for food!].

As far as I am concerned EVERY single petfood company is out to get your money, you just have to decide for yourself with your [hopefully well researched not plyed by seminar] vet and see how well your pet does on it. Every diet even raw feeding has pros and cons [My vet hates raw feeding, if done properly its not bad but its often done wrong].

All that said I guess the tl;dr is its our fault for domesticating animals, we have caused many health problems by exposing them to non natural foods and chemicals in our homes that cause illnesses. There is no perfect way to feed domesticated animals.

If your vet ONLY carries one brand…figure out why. Mine carries 3 and offers up to 7 for next day delivery [we dont have space for all the brands and carry what works best]. The more you know good or bad the better. Petfood is a minefield.

• Snip says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have become deeply suspicious of theses lists because it seems the people hawking them are trying to sell their own products. I have tried some of the so-called high grade expensive shit and both the cat and the dog disliked it and their coats turned dull. Put them back on foods that have a long history of acceptance in the show world, but are significantly lower on these lists, and they love the taste and their coats and eyes are shiny again. Never again will I trust some crap thrown at me by an “expert” unless they can give me credentials I can believe in.

• Leksi Wit says:

My corgi puppy is on RedMoon’s high energy custom dog food and her coat is spectacular. I get many compliments how soft she is and how lustrous her coat looks. She sheds quite a bit less on this food over her previous Innova diet.

There are almost no fillers in the ingredient list. It’s mostly meat and meal, with some veg matter. I also give her fresh organic green beans cut into small pieces with each meal and occasional apple/carrot treats. Also, love the Zuke’s peanut butter bites and Bravo freeze-dried 100% grass-fed buffalo bites treats.

Since I changed her over to RM, no more “itchy butt” too. She has the most perfect bowel movements. I know, seriously? But if you own a dog you know that’s something that comes up… a lot. Anal gland extractions are not cheap unless you do it yourself. No need for them usually if the stool is not too soft.

She enjoys eating this food too. But like any food, dogs get bored and want variety. Consider switching out flavors occasionally. As far as cost — I calculated the dog food she’s on costs me just over $1/day (not counting fresh veggies and occasional treats). That’s very cheap compared to how much food I consume per day/per dollar.

2. longfeltwant says:

Dear Jenny Craig,

Please file my cat’s obesity in the folder labeled DONTGIVEAFLYING.

Truly yours,
    Sane people

• TerpBE says:

That’s easy to say when you don’t have to give your cat insulin shots twice a day.

• longfeltwant says:

Well then, that makes it easy for me to say.

• little stripes says:

Just because you don’t have to do it now, doesn’t mean you won’t have to eventually, if they continue to stay overweight. But hey, you probably won’t care then, either, huh? You’ll just let them die a pretty horrible death.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I’m in the insulin giving camp with my cat, twice per day. She and her sister are in the large short haired striped cat category, with big M’s on their forehead. One sister now has diabetes, the other doesn’t. I’ve always controlled their food, but I suspect they’ve helped themselves to the dog’s kibble over the years.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Fat cats don’t always develop diabetes, and being a normal weight doesn’t always prevent diabetes. My brother and I adopted brother cats from the same litter; his cat was obese, developed diabetes, and died a few years ago. My cat from that litter now lives with my parents, has always been a normal weight, and developed diabetes after his brother died. (Hint: genetics.)

But you do make a good point, i.e. obese pets are at a higher risk for health problems. And having to give insulin shots to a cat sucks.

• little stripes says:

So you’re complacent in animal abuse and you don’t care. You are a stellar human being (/s).

3. Cor Aquilonis says:

I wish my dog had this problem. She’s getting old, but more worrisome-ly, skinny. I’ve been trying to fatten her. It’s starting to work.

• orion70 says:

My dog is like that too. And funny thing is, she has a thyroid problem, which normally fattens dogs up. One problem is that she also has to be on a low protein diet due to kidney issues and those mostly come in senior formulas, which she is, but which are also formulated to keep elderly dogs from pudging up due to inactivity.

I have seen a little weight gain with her a couple of times she’s gone to the kennel when I am gone away. They told me at one point she was eating as much as the big dogs. I think the extra activity ups her appetite.

Overall though, I guess weight loss is a natural part of aging in some dogs. Mine’s gone down about 4 pounds over the past couple of years, and she’s only tiny to begin with.

• Cor Aquilonis says:

Awww. I’ve been unable to walk my dog due to tendonitis in my toe, so she’s gotten a little fatter. I guess I walk her too much, but she seems to love it so much! I’ll have to find a happy medium.

4. CrankyOwl says:

Kitteh in the picture isn’t fat – it’s FLUFFY. 10 pounds of cat, 20 pounds of floof.

5. blogger X says:

Patches is just fine the way he is! He’s big-boned!

6. failurate says:

My wife’s cat stays trim by binging an purging.

7. Not Given says:

I’ve had to put some of my cats on CAtkins, certain flavors of Fancy Feast canned cat food qualify and are gluten free, which also helps. One had an easier time getting up on the furniture before she even lost very much, I think the gluten free part did that.

The regular ‘light’ dry diet catfood just makes them hungrier and also throw up, the canned they wouldn’t touch.

8. MutantMonkey says:

Well if you were curious just how first world your country is, this would be a good indicator.

9. kobresia says:

As long as people feed their pets leftover human food, their pets will likely be fat-asses.

Just tossing this out there. They can eat appropriate portions of diet pet food and it simply won’t matter until the humans stop feeding them the junk food.

Also, it’s okay to feed only the food the critters need, many will overeat if they’re given a bottomless bowl of kibble. I’ve noticed this is especially true of cats, when there are more than one in a household– it can become a competition between them of who can eat all the food first. It takes more effort to monitor each pet’s weight and make sure they’re where they should be and measure out the food (and the most effort to say “no” when Fido or Fluffy wants more), but that’s just part of “parenting”.

• orion70 says:

A lot of people feed their animals to death, or to sickness. And not only the physical impact on the animal, but the behavioral. It’s incredibly annoying to go to someone’s house who has a hand-fed, people food-fed animal, because you will be tormented to extremes by that animal if you try to eat in the vicinity.

The only “people” food my dog ever gets is the smidge of peanut butter or cheese she gets her pills in, steamed rice, potato, pumpkin or a bit of leftover pasta, and these are all very rare, and typically given to her in her own bowl, not from my plate. I do that just as much for my own sanity as her health.

• Don't Bother says:

We give our dog some “people” food too, and it’s only when she’s preformed a task we’ve asked her to do. One of the main things we give her is carrots. I think giving dogs people food is fine as long it isn’t done while others are eating, and it’s reward (so an out-of-the-ordinary scenario).

She used to eat peanut butter as well, but that wasn’t great on her intestinal system…

• orion70 says:

My parent’s dog loves carrots, mine won’t touch them unless they’re cooked into her food. She’ll sometimes eat red peppers. And that is kind of the rule I use when giving her people food. If it is already an ingredient in her food, and unseasoned, I will give it a thumbs up as a treat.

10. SporadicBlah says:

My pug lost 10 pounds eating green beans. He gets regular kibble in the morning, raw carrots as snacks and 1 can of no salt added green beans in the evening. You get more bean per can if you buy the french cut variety. The WM brand is 68cents a can. As a treat he gets animal crackers. They are healthier than dog biscuits and cost around $3 for a jumbo bag. He’s 11 years old now and has never had any eye or skin problems that are common with the breed. He’s been on this diet for close to 5 years and always gets great checkups. Hope this helps someone and you can save that $300 :D

• SporadicBlah says:

Also, my parents golden retriever was VERY overweight. Shes been on the bean diet for 2 years and has lost close to 30 pounds. She runs and plays like a puppy again. She gets 2c kibble in the morning and 2 cans of beans at night.

• Don't Bother says:

My parents feed their dog green beans as well for one of his meals. He’s always been healthy and happy.

11. varro says:

Local pudgy pussycat who could use some help with losing weight and needs a good home – http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/01/walter_a_25-pound_cat_looking.html

12. smarmyjones goes cattywampus says:

No Judging? You haven’t met my cat.

13. gman863 says:

They need to hire Vince as the pitchman for this:

Overweight pussy? Trim it down to size. Doggie-style obesity? Jenny Craig takes care of it.

14. dicobalt says:

If you want your pet to loose weight you feed them less. Protip: This works with people too.

• little stripes says:

Actually, um, in regards to humans … no, it doesn’t quite work that way, and there is a TON of recent (and not-so-recent) evidence that proves it. But of course you haven’t read any of it, huh?

Alternatively: Sources, pls. Oh wait, you have none!

• tbax929 says:

How do we cure the fact that people can’t seem to figure out the difference between “lose” and “loose”? I see it all the time, and it drives me absolutely crazy.

15. suez says:

What crap! Maybe if Purina put a little less filler in their food, animals would become addicted to the carb rushes and get fatter…oh wait…!

16. Rexy on a rampage says:

Fatter pets make tastier ones.

17. kobresia says:

I predict the primary end result from Jenny Craig Pet Weight Loss program will be lighter wallets.

• magnetic says:

How about a reality show on Animal Planet? There has to be some punny variation on The Biggest Loser.

18. Lisa W says:

I like to think my cat is big boned or has a Thyroid problem….;-)

19. Skankingmike says:

There’s this thing called exercise and portion control….. also don’t feed your animal table scraps, that’s probably #1 reason for weight gain.

My dogs are both healthy weights wish I could say the same.. :P

• sparrowmint says:

I seriously doubt that table scraps are the main reason for pet obesity. A contributing factor for some dogs and cats? Absolutely, especially when they are fed in addition to their regular food. But a bigger factor than them being fed corn-laden food in oversized portions due to all the unnecessary fillers? Or a bigger factor than people owning dogs but not spending the time to give them exercise? I very much doubt it.

• Laura Northrup says:

Maybe you need to eat nothing but kibble and cut out all people food.

20. Bibliovore says:

Definitely check with your vet before putting your pet on a diet. Losing weight too fast can cause kidney problems and other health issues. When we put our fat cat on a diet, we also got a baby scale so we could track her weight at home and modify her intake as needed. (This scale has been great for us; it has an averaging function so it doesn’t matter if they squirm around, and they love the cradle shape; our skinny cat regularly naps in it.) The fat one’s down to a healthy weight, and we and the vet are thrilled.

With her it’s all been portion control. She’s active; she loves to play, and hauls/chases her toy mice all over the house, racing up and down the stairs and jumping around. Her metabolism is apparently just too efficient for her appetite.

Keeping the skinny cat sufficiently fed while the fat one’s on a restricted diet was problematic. We finally got an infrared-tag-controlled bowl that opens only for the skinny cat, so she can still eat whenever she wants; that stopped her weight loss.

21. Dallas_shopper says:

I have one cat with a slight weight problem…he’s 12 and incredibly lazy. I’ve tried the toys, tried the “light” food, followed the vet’s advice…he’s still a little bit fat. I don’t worry about it though. He’s otherwise healthy and c’mon…he’s a CAT. The other cat I have is 10 and is a normal, healthy weight.

My dog, on the other hand, is a little on the underweight side. He eats plenty and I offer him plenty. He just can’t seem to gain weight. He’s otherwise perfectly healthy so the vet told me not to worry about it unless his weight starts to drop.

Fat pets = not really a problem chez Dallas_shopper.

22. I can and I coupon because I can says:

If Purina’s corporate overlords (Nestle) stopped killing babies, I would take it seriously.

Wondering what I am talking about? Search Google for Nestle Baby Milk.

23. yurei avalon says:

My cats were always so light given how much they ran around and played every day. They literally bounced off of the walls. We gave them free reign with a bowl of food out for them full all of the time and they never got fat. Having 2 cats to keep each other occupied and playing with them occasionally probably helped. The dog on the other hand, just got fat. She seemed to lose interest in doing anything besides lounging about as she got older, no amount of trying to run around with her got her to do much exercising.