How Heavy Is A Phone That Promises Up To 21.5 Hours Of Continuous Talk Time?

Earlier this week at the Consumer Electronics Show, Motorola unveiled the latest member of its RAZR family of cellphones, the Droid RAZR Maxx, which the company says can deliver up to a whopping 21.5 hours of continuous talk time.

“That’s not you make a few calls, hang up for a bit and then make some more calls,” a rep told me about the phone, which has a 3300 mAh lithium ion battery (the current RAZR comes with a 1780 mAh Li Ion battery). “That is somehow you and your friend finding something to talk about for 21.5 hours straight.”

But given the history of long-life batteries for cellphones, one’s instinct might be to assume this phone would be noticeably heavier than a standard device. And it is about 20 grams heavier than the current Droid RAZR. It actually weighs almost exactly the same as Motorola’s Atrix 2, which I was able to confirm when I got my greedy little hands on the Maxx. And, going by the specs on the Apple site, the Maxx is only 5 grams heavier than the iPhone 4S

It’s also about 2mm thicker than the current generation of the RAZR, but slightly slimmer — again according to the numbers provided by both companies, as I didn’t want to worry about slipping my calipers past airport security — than the iPhone 4S.

As for the claims of battery endurance — in addition to the 21.5 hours of talk time, they claim around 10 hours of continuous texting, and the ability to watch up to around 8 full-length movies (from the phone’s memory; not streaming), and 380 hours of idle time, before needing a recharge — there is no way to do that at CES, even in the semi-privacy of the Motorola press area. But you can rest assured that the testers here at Consumer Reports will be putting these claims to the test once the phone hits the market later this year.

Regardless, all this chatter about talking endlessly on the phone reminds of the always amusing (and generally NSFW) “Real Talk” from that icon talking on the phone, R. Kelly:

Comments

1. Guppy06 says:

* only on the first charge

2. axolotl says:

Awesome. I really miss the reliability of those old phones from the late 90’s that just made calls and texts and the battery would last you a week. Looks like battery technology is improving.

Sidenote: is that phone really as huge as it looks in the pictures?

3. dangermike says:

3300 mAh is all? That’s like 2 high quality AA alkalines. Hell, 8 hours would be good for that amount of charge. Even if they’re claiming double what we might reasonably see in the real world, I’d still be impressed.

• lee says:

That’s all, the norm bat of 1300-1500 bat lucky if you get 3-6 hrs of Light use

I got an 2500mAh over the default 1400mAh (i think its really an 2×1200 or 2×1100 bats Chinese bats so you cant really trust them) for my HTC desire (the first one) and I can most of the time now get 1 day out of the phone now with 3g/H enabled and some active background programs running (10am to midnight) only issue i have is the GPS does not seem to like the bat much (sat signal levels seems 40% less)

Currant smart phones are an joke for bat life must are lucky if they get an day out of them (iPhone should be called iPlug) if 3g or real 4g is enabled it can be less

But if you have 3g turned off (or more HSPA off as my HTC HD Blackstone worked 2 days with 3g UMTS only), the phone will norm last an full day, blackberry’s can last 2-3 days with 3g off

With the Droid RAZR Maxx depending on what your doing you mite get 2 days or 1 day heavy use and its 2mm thicker and not much heavier then an iphone 4s seems all good, wonder what the price is

4. Mackinstyle1 says:

Phones are too light these days. I would be happy for one that weighs twice what my 4S does. Heft can be a good thing!

• GrimJack says:

Sounds like Boris the Blade from Snatch….

“Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. And if it doesn’t work, you can always hit him with it….”

5. TravelWithDignity says:

That phone is just barely bigger than LG 670 that I have. I wouldn’t mind the increase actually. As long as it still fit in a shirt pocket or a cargo shorts pocket.

6. Tim says:

Gahh. I just had to ask for the Droid Razr for Christmas, didn’t I.

7. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

I have always said that if you produces a Zack Morris cell phone nowadays, you could build in a document scanner, 12 megapixel camera, and a battery that would last for at least a week.

8. 180CS says:

“Droid Razr Maxx. Now with the same extended-type battery you can buy third part for any phone, with the difference that the developers rearranged the phones design so that the bigger battery doesn’t mean twice as much space used in air between the battery cover and actual phone”

“Next year: Apple begins using USB like every other manufacturer”

9. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

I don’t care about talk time. I care about all the internet based stuff lime web surfing and streaming. Increase the time for all that and we got a new phone for me.

• fredmertz says:

A bigger battery is a bigger battery. Will increase time for everything. They just use “talk-time” as a standard frame of reference.

• gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

Regardless of the battery being bigger, the battery takes its biggest hit when doing web and net based stuff. I want one with battery times equivalent to the time one gets for talking.

10. Back to waiting, but I did get a cute dragon ear cuff says:

Just found out about this phone last night. Looking for a smart phone with a decent camera for my brother. He is a test case for all the brain cancer claims. Averaging well over 6,000 minutes a month and is hard on phones.

Currently he has a Casio Brigade which is a hardened Mil-Spec phone, and he tests the hardening regularly. The Maxx has Gorilla glass and a kevlar back. I have been looking hard at the iPhone 4s for him because of the camera, but if the Maxx has any kind of decent camera, this might be a be a better bet for him.

Anyone here have experience with a Razr camera? 99% of what he needs it for is indoor shots in offices of the furniture. Just want something that is decent enough quality for web publishing.

11. Rocket says:

“How Heavy Is …”

Who cares?

12. AllanG54 says:

I can talk quite a bit on my Samsung and most days I don’t need to recharge but it’s really if I use the internet that the battery drains to nothing in no time.

13. neilb says:

These are available for nearly every phone that is able to accept a third party battery (all but Apple and some Motorolas).
    My Evo3d has a bump on the back that is exactly the size of the original battery. It is just an 2 “like the original” batteries in one pack (from expansys). It is stupid, cheap ($18) and gets me twice the life. OEM fit, except the bump.
    Why does Motorola think this is worthy of its own model? Just because it has this from the factory? What’s next–preinstalling a screen protector or silicone phone case?

• asten77 says:

It’s more than pre-installed. To reduce thickness and weight, the RAZR has a non-removable battery. It’s a separate model because the user can’t just plop in a new high capacity one.