FDA Puts Squeeze On Orange Juice Shipments, Checks For Fungicide

Determined not to let orange juice double as unintentional contraception, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has frozen shipments to check for carbendazim, a fungicide banned in much of the world that is believed to cause infertility. As much as 25 percent of the American juice supply comes from abroad, and the FDA acted on a report that a juice company detected the fungicide in imports from Brazil, which provides 11 percent of America’s OJ.

According to CNNMoney, the testing process will take five to 10 business days. If the FDA spots any carbendazim, it will turn the shipments away or destroy them. In order to speed things along, the FDA will let companies with three consecutive clean shipments off the hook for further testing.

Don’t flip out and throw all your juice away. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the level of carbendazim found in the initial report were not high enough to put consumers in danger.

FDA halts orange juice shipments to test for fungicide [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. drblair says:

*tosses away all condoms, drinks a gallon of orange juice*

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I know, right? A permanent infertility treatment without surgery sounds awesome. Why hasn’t someone jumped on this?

• SaltWater says:

Foreign OJ, unintentional contraception? Like Anaconda Malt Liquor!

2. Jelly says:

Yeah, this just makes me want to drink OJ more.

3. SkokieGuy says:

Rick Santorum is calling for an Orange Juice ban as is interferes with God’s plan

4. seth_lerman says:

Instead of stopping all shipments while they get to the bottom of this, can we just consolidate them all to a common retailer, like Walmart?

5. Bativac says:

I’ve never trusted orange juice and I never will. I can never forgive them for the death of my fresh-squeezed juice. It seems to me their mission to put out the cheapest possible juice-like product is problematic at best. EPA says the level of carbendazim isn’t high enough to cause any danger to consumers, and I’d like to believe them. But how on Earth can history get past people like me?

6. Wes_Sabi says:

It’s banned for use on oranges and there is no tolerances for imported items, however Thiophanate-methyl (of which carbendazim is the primary metabolite) is used domestically on plenty of commodities such as almonds, apples, beans, cherries, onions, peanuts, strawberries, and wheat. Tolerance limits on those commodities range from 0.1 ppm to 20 ppm. These tolerance limits can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Title 40, part 180.371 – Thiophanate-methyl; tolerances for residues.

7. Vox Republica says:

Liquid prophylactic *and* delicious cure for thrush? I’m trying to think of a screwdriver joke here; will report back later with results.

8. CubeRat says:

This sort of thing is why I look to see where my food is grown/produced. If it doesn’t say, I will not buy it.

Thank God, I live in a place where a lot of foodstuffs are grown. There are many in the world who cannot / do not have access to locally grown foods.

Of course, with over 7 billion people, it doesn’t look like this stuff is in much of the food.

9. microcars says:

OJ is also chock full of dihydrogen monoxide, which is lethal in sufficient quantities.

10. bobloblaw says:

any safer with organic florida oranges sequeezed intoo juice at home? i freakin love oj. why cant it just be EASY!?

11. beachmouse says:

I actually do make my own orange juice at home from the trees in my front yard and can verify it’s fungicide free.

12. beaverfan says:

How is this stuff legally called “orange juice,” anyway? Isn’t it mostly chemicals that provide the smell and taste of orange?

• VashTS says:

Because the FDA, slimy ex corporate bastards, allows misleading labeling until on ever five years a news company accidentally does investigative journalism exposing the crap that is put in orange juice or name a product. I hope capitalism and America dies.