Crab Soup Recalled for Undeclared Milk, Wheat and…Crab?

The sharp-eyed regulators at the FDA warn that Whole Foods is recalling cans of Rip Roar’N Crab Soup because the labels fail to tell consumers of a chief ingredient: crab. Wait. What?

According to the FDA, seems there was a mix-up at the production facilities of Blount Fine Foods of Fall River, MA. While the labels correctly identify the soup, the back of the 16-ounce cans say the soup is Manhattan Clam Chowder and doesn’t list ingredients such as milk, wheat or crab–known food allergens featured in its crab soup.

If you’re not allergic to milk, wheat or crab, the soup is safe to eat. Otherwise, return the mislabeled Rip Roar’N Crab Soup to Whole Foods for a full refund.

Blount Fine Foods Announces Rip Roar’N Crab Soup Recall For Undeclared Milk, Wheat And Crab Allergens [FDA]

Comments

1. Cat says:

Waiter, there are crabs in my soup…

2. bethshanin says:

Soup, there are crabs on my waiter

3. ARP says:

I can see the issue- you need to list everything that’s in your product and they didn’t. A bit stupid on something this obvious. However, imitation crab is fairly popular. There are also a lot of food products that say they’re something, but contain lots of other ingredients. I just bought Cilantro seasoning that doesn’t have cilantro- it has coriander instead.

• Goldensummer says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander… I assume you’re joking but if not…

• ARP says:

No, but perhaps a bad example. I view the seeds of something different than the plant itself.

• semidazed says:

This is not at all a bad example. I think you made your point clear as day. It illustrates that labeling is can still be somewhat vague when the language isn’t properly defined- very much like calling imitation crab “surimi” or calling milk “calcium caseinate”

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

That’s why I like my cookbooks to be scientifically correct.
            Coriandrum sativum leaves, chopped 1mm x 2mm, 10g by Earth weight at sea level.

• semidazed says:

Place three cups of water on highest heat for four minutes. If water does not boil, move lower to sea-level by 30 meters until proper boiling time is achieved*.

*Not recommended for residents of Mountains Everest, Qogir or Kangchenjunga

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

I’m not afraid to admit, I had no idea they were the same thing.

Also, the correct link is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

• The Porkchop Express says:

I thought corriander was the seed. They taste different from the rest of the plant from what I recall.

• Dallas_shopper says:

In my mind, cilantro = leaves, coriander = seeds of the same plant. In the UK, however, ‘coriander’ refers to both the leaves and the seeds.

• semidazed says:

I’m fairly sure it’s actually the same thing. Americans just use the Spanish term for it, I believe.

• Cornflakes says:

I think you’re thinking of culantro (spanish) which is different but is used as a substitute. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culantro

• Cornflakes says:

And I mean where you got the spanish confusion thing from, I get that coriander is the same as cilantro.

• semidazed says:

I’m of the understanding that we call it cilantro because the Spanish name for the plant is actually cilantro, which is very similar to culantro but that is a different genus and a more pungent plant*.

*Disclaimer- this information is from Wikipedia and the Food Network. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

• tehwilsonat0r says:

In America, for sure, cilantro and coriander leaves are the same thing. Also, it’s called cilantro in, at the very least, Central America, and probably most of Latin America. This is coming from someone who’s bought and consumed fresh and dried versions of things with both names in both regions, so without a peer-reviewed study (and assuming you believe me), it’s probably as close as you’ll get to knowing with certainty that coriander and cilantro both mean the same thing on a label in America.

4. dolemite says:

I love crab soup, but I’ve never found any in grocery stores…

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

I don’t know much about cooking, but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t eat canned crab soup anyway, much less something called Rip Roar’N Crab Soup.

I wonder if it has quotation marks in the name. There could be a big difference between “Rip Roar’N” Crab Soup and “Rip Roar’N Crab” Soup.

• Hoss says:

Trader Joes crab bisque is excellent (and cheap)

5. semidazed says:

It’s being recalled because it didn’t disclose potential allergens. Crab falls under the “well, duh” category in terms of Crab soup but the FDA has brought about more strict requirements for allergy labeling and it seems this product didn’t label anything- including wheat and milk, two things not exclusively listed in the ingredients’ title and that can hide within ingredient lists.

• jeadly says:

Yeah, sounds like they got the wrong back label put on the cans. I’d be really pissed if I checked the label to make sure this food conformed to a gluten-free diet and then got violently ill after eating it.

6. Hi_Hello says:

If this wasn’t a mistake:
    people bought crab soup that didn’t have crab listed in the ingredients??

7. Ihaveasmartpuppy says:

Not as crazy as you would think. Crab makes me violently ill, but I can eat imitation crab that is found in quite a few products. I’d be pretty upset if I ate something with crab in it and ended up vomiting all night.

8. BayardMozie says:

Interesting situation implied by title: Crab soup that’s recalled because it contains crab.

Less interesting reality: Mistake on ingredients printed on a can of crab soup.

Consumerist is nowhere near as bad as some blogs when it comes to spinning titles to get more eyeballs, but I still don’t like it when it happens.

• Greyfox2401 says:

at work we get frozen catfish that actually lists “ALLERGEN: contains Catfish” on the box

• Jules Noctambule says:

Yet the front of the labels correctly identify the soup as being crab soup. Only the reverse with the ingredient listing is incorrect and apparently the issue is that people will buy it assuming that the crab soup listed on the front of the label is in fact clam chowder. So yes, it is being recalled because is contains unlisted ingredients (including crab) despite the front of the label clearly indicating crab.

9. Snoofin says:

This makes sense because of the milk and wheat in it that people could be allergic to, but what about Planters peanuts putting a warning on that the product contains peanuts and those with peanut allergies may not be able to eat them. You’re buying freaking peanuts, what kind of idiot wouldnt assume there is peanuts in the jar. They deserve to get violently ill from eating them if they are that stupid. They should remove that warning from all jars that are just peanuts or peanut butter.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I just looked at my box of store brand spoon size shredded wheat. Yes, it says “Warning – contains wheat”. I certainly hope so. If you are allergic to wheat, then don’t buy a box of cereal that says “shredded wheat” in giant letters on the front.

• Solkanar512 says:

You’re missing the fact that Crab is often substituted with non-crab meats, like fish. Thus, if someone who is allergic to crab but can eat imitation crab is doing their due diligence and reading the label the absence of “Contains CRAB” indicates that the food is safe for them to eat.

• LJKelley says:

I understand your point. Just find it funny that a person with say crab allergies would try crab soup in the first place and then enjoy something so much they have to get it even if always is immitation. Wouldn’t an another fish soup be better suited that would contain the imitation product anyhow?

• orion70 says:

The only time I’ve ever seen sneaky fake crab is when it is part of a “seafood mix” on a salad or in pasta. While I suppose it could sneak into crab dip (especially at a potluck or something with home cooks), I can’t imagine ordering a primarily crab dish and getting anything but. Whenever it’s been a big chunk of “crab” it is labeled crabstick or surimi.

• semidazed says:

It’s regulation. That’s all. They’re trying to enforce a blanket labeling of food products that contain or could contain known allergens. So Planter’s Peanuts will warn “Contains Peanuts.” Certain Kashi cereals will state “Contains Tree Nuts.” Dietz and Watson’s Turkey Products also warn that they “Contains Milk Products.” Also, Campbell’s Chicken Broth will carry the warning “Contains Wheat.”

Much of it can be considered common sense, I’ll admit, but a large amount of it is not. Read the ingredient list on Hamburger Helper or Amy’s Kitchen or Marie Calendar’s or Healthy Choice frozen meals. Heck, read them on broths or rice kits or canned vegetables. Check out deli meats and Lay’s Potato Chips. Allergens pop up nearly everywhere. As someone with allergies, I have on several occasions been steered away from products because the big, bold “WARNING: CONTAINS…” label told me that products contained products nearly unidentifiable as the allergen I was looking for.

With additives being thrown in and sometimes disguised as different names (like caseine for milk or lecithin for soy), these simple designations can literally mean the difference between a quiet dinner at home and a traumatic trip to a hospital. Regulations help consumers, and in these cases especially allergy sufferers and their parents, make safe decisions which will keep them/children out of the hospital. It sounds ridiculous but it isn’t.

A package of peanuts can be expected to have peanuts in it. A can of spaghetti sauce… not so much.

• Snoofin says:

What you said makes sense and I understand how confusing it can be to know what is in products. I was ONLY referring to foods that are of a single type like peanuts. You shouldnt need a warning to tell you that peanuts contain peanuts.

10. Coelacanth says:

Perhaps a lame example, but:

For a nut allergy sufferer, perhaps “common sense” fails with Chock Full O’Nuts coffee, since many of its blends do not contain nuts.

The brand or name of the product, and its ingredients diverge, therefore an allergy warning for products containing nuts is warranted.

• AllanG54 says:

There are no nuts in Chock Full O’ Nuts coffee. The guy who started roasting it 100 or so years ago owned stores that sold all types of nuts and that’s what his stores were called. Eventually he got out of that business altogether and just sold coffee and that’s where the name came from.

11. dg says:

Have you ever seen the side of a can of peanuts? “Caution: Processed in a facility that handles tree nuts, and other nuts.” No shit? Really? What kind of moron would think that a can of peanuts didn’t have nuts in it?

The whole nanny state thing is really getting insane…

• Coelacanth says:

Yes, because it takes so much effort and costs a fortune to accurately label ingredients list and major allergens!

I think most people would agree that even accounting for the most obvious situations, the number of lives this saves and protects far outweighs the costs.

Besides, obvious cases are to slide, then it’s setting a bad precedent for the not-so-obvious ones which are far more likely to be dangerous.

• orion70 says:

I always thought that to mean that the plant doesn’t only process peanuts. There are people who are allergic to actual nuts, like walnuts, but not peanuts which are technically legumes. And vice versa. Peanuts are not a tree nut.

12. Coelacanth says:

I really wish there were an edit button.

* …ingredients lists
    ** Besides, if obvious cases…