Comcast AnyPlay: For When You Must Watch TV In The Bathroom

At last we know what that guy is doing with his tablet computer in the bathroom in that razor commercial: He’s watching cable streamed from his Comcast account via the company’s AnyPlay iPad app.

The AnyPlay app, like Cablevision’s Optimum app, lets subscribers stream their cable programming to an iPad — but only within their home. That means you can watch the channels you subscribe to in a TV-free room or adjacent outdoor space — or the bathroom — but can’t take the streams with you when you leave the house.

When Cablevision rolled out its Optimum app last year, the company was met with a lawsuit from Viacom over its streaming of the latter company’s networks. The two companies later settled the suit for undisclosed terms.

AnyPlay is currently only available to Comcast Xfinity subscribers in Denver and Nashville, though the company says it plans to expand access “in the coming months.”

AnyPlay Brings Live TV to the Tablet [The Official Comcast Blog]

Comments

1. comatose says:

Or anywhere else using the built in VPN networking present in all iPads and tables. :-)

2. dragonfire81 says:

My grandparents house specifically has a room in it with NO TV whatsoever for those old fashioned things called…conversations.

Or reading or any number of other activities that don’t involve a television.

• j2.718ff says:

TVs in my grandparents’ house: 1
      TVs in my parents’ house: 3
      TVs in my house: 0

I’m not saying one configuration is better than the other. I just find it interesting how the generations work.

• milk says:

Heh, on New Year’s Eve my family was trying to convince me that we should do all the fireworks at 10 because, as my mother asked, “What are we going to do for the next two hours?” I dunno, hang out, have a conversation, enjoy everyone’s presence since we’re only all together with the grandparents a few times a year? I won everyone over, but only because my dad and fiance decided to fill the time by buying even more fireworks.

• nato0519 says:

My wife and I actually own these cool things called books. They are filled with letters and words on paper that you read and it tells a story. Pretty facinating actually.

3. Cat says:

AnyPlay. Because there isn’t enough crap in the bathroom already.

4. gargunkle says:

You wrote “let’s” but you meant “lets.”

5. John says:

I installed a TV in the bathroom when we remodeled. Ran a cool RF thing I got which uses a fake battery instead of an eye, and kept it real clean. Cable box in the bedroom feeds the TV in the bathroom.

It is a GREAT luxury; but only guys seem to be able to appreciate it. I definitely recommend it.

• RockerGal says:

we have a tv in the bathroom and I LOVE IT as does my husband! nothing more relaxing than watching some tv in the tub and a glass of wine.

• scoosdad says:

“Ran a cool RF thing I got which uses a fake battery instead of an eye, and kept it real clean.”

Huh, what? Come again?

6. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Oh no! This may put Reader’s Digest out of business!

7. TasteyCat says:

Is there a good reason why people must watch TV or read in the bathroom?

8. gman863 says:

Next week’s Consumerist Headline:

APPLE WON’T REPLACE MY iPAD ‘CAUSE I DROPPED IT IN THE SHITTER

in three…two….one…

9. momtimestwo says:

I didn’t know about this. I’m in Nashville and have comcast, I’ll try it out.

10. greggorthechamp says:

Cox has something similar, but it only has 35 channels, and is pretty useless to me. If I could watch it at work, that would change things.

11. Luckie says:

I just take my laptop in the bathroom with me, put it on a chair, set up a Netflix movie, and watch film while enjoying a bubble bath. Handsfree, man.

12. viriiman says:

I’m sure something like My3G will enable this app to run outside the home.

And who’s home? How does it know I’m in *my* home?

13. Razor512 says:

Couldn’t you bypass the home only crap by setting up a VPN on your home network, then you simply VPN into your home network then stream on the go?

14. Duke_Newcombe-Making children and adults as fat as pigs says:

I’m not even concerned about this until my @$$-raping Xfinity finally stops fellating Apple and produces an Xfinity TV app that can actually stream on Android devices.