Chipotle Understands When Your Dog Eats Your Gift Card

John’s greyhound has no patience. If the dog had waited just a little while, the Chipotle gift card in a paper sleeve that his fianc√©e left on the kitchen table would have been magically transformed into food. But dogs don’t think that way, and this dog really, really likes to chew up paper. And so the $50 gift card was destroyed.

For Christmas, my fiance received a $50 gift card for Chipotle. We are recently engaged and she recently moved in with me so she was not yet used to my Greyhound’s propensity to eat (well, rip up and destroy) pieces of paper and anything that looks like paper. She ended up leaving the gift card (which is plastic but in a paper sleeve) on the kitchen table.

The next morning we wake to see bits of paper all over and a mangled piece of plastic. We looked a bit closer and he had shredded a pack of stickers and her brand new and unused Chipotle gift card. Thankfully we could still read the code on the back of the card even though the bar was destroyed.

She decided to e-mail their customer service and see if there was anything they could do. here is the reply she received.

——
Kristen,

Thanks for writing to us. I’m terribly sorry to hear about your giftcard issue. I too have a couple of dogs at home so you comment made me cringe and chuckle. That said, I think we should be able to help you out and get you a new card that will work in the restaurant as our teams will not be able to simply key in the number from the back of the card. If you wouldn’t mind sending me a reply with the full 16-digit code from the back of the card we should be able to deactivate the card you have and send you a new card with out any doggy chew marks. Also, if you could provide us with your mailing address so we can get that new card out to you that would be great too.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing from you (and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday despite the frustrations with the pup).

Comments

1. Tim says:

That’s very nice of them to do. It also helps that they can deactivate the card and ensure that they don’t lose money in issuing a new card (well, they lose money with the take it takes, postage, etc., but no stored money).

2. Don't Bother says:

What a personal response! It’s like there’s an actual human being on the other end.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Yes, this got me too–so often, sites reply with a generic form detailing “frequently asked questions” that are often already covered on the company’s website FAQ … none of which address the particular issue.

WTG Chipotle. I want a burrito!

• Marlin says:

Yea I wrote Rockauto.com once and got a REAL replay, not a form “sorry see rule 12478″.
      Caught me off guard but made me order with them more.

• jeni1122 says:

+1 all the way. It is nice to receive an email from an actual person sometimes. Person emails from companies are quite a rarity.

• Caffinehog says:

Well, it’s not like there are a ton of people calling for customer support….
      Customer: “Help! My burrito keeps crashing! It keeps downloading it’s fillings into the basket!”

3. DrMcFacekick says:

Further evidence that Chipotle is awesome.

Also, why the hell don’t more companies do this? It took that CSR five minutes, doesn’t result in a loss of profit for the company, and make the customer super mega stupid happy. Also she’ll associate Chipotle with fuzzy happy feelings for the rest of her life and tell everyone she knows about it. Best advertising ever!

• stebu says:

In many companies’ minds, they DO take a loss by reissuing the card. Not reissuing means they got a gift of $50.

• EatSleepJeep says:

Right, but Chipotle leaves such a good taste in your mouth it’s unlikely they’d want to leave a bad taste instead.

• RandomHookup says:

One factor that made this easy for Chipotle to address the problem — she had the card in hand and could read the code. That made it easy to deactivate. Without the code…quite possibly “tough luck” especially if they don’t capture that information when selling them.

Of course, buyer’s protection on her credit card might have helped, but you never know.

4. George4478 says:

That dog looks guilty.

5. Cat says:

It makes sense that if they can read the code, they would be able to verify that it had not been used and re-issue it.

But if the code were unreadable, I’m sure they would be SOL.

6. eturowski says:

Mmmm. This makes me want some barbacoa.

7. teke367 says:

Good for Chiptole, but seriously, the code was readable, there really is no excuse for them NOT to do this. Heck, if they went with the card to a store, they could probably type in the code instead of swiping.

I know, plenty of places will “not know how” to do this, or just make it a pain to do so, so it is good Chipotle was helpful. But this type of thing should be par for the course.

• philpm says:

But this type of thing should be par for the course.

If this was par for the course, we wouldn’t be talking about it.

The personal note was a nice touch. I really get the feeling that even if the OP hadn’t been able to read the code, Chipotle would have still found a way to replace the card.

• bkdlays says:

Except for where is says ” …as our teams will not be able to simply key in the number from the back of the card.”

8. IphtashuFitz says:

Chipotle has always been extremely customer friendly – they know how to make customers happy IMHO.

A few months ago when we went there for dinner during a somewhat busy time. We both like iced tea and were a little disappointed when we found their pot of iced tea was empty. The manager, who was at the cash register, saw that it was empty and came over to say he’d have it refilled. He took the pot into the back and a few minutes later he came back empty handed. He apologized profusely for not having any more tea ready to bring out, so he gave us 4 gift cards for free meals the next time we came. And frankly we weren’t all that disappointed to begin with, nor had we complained AT ALL about there not being any iced tea. He just proactively apologized and gave us the gift cards.

A different time at a different location we stopped by a Chipotle for an early dinner only to find the restaurant closed. The door was locked but we could see the employees working inside. There was a sign on the door saying indicating that they would be opening later in the evening due to a water main break in the area. I recalled hearing about the water main break on the news earlier in the day but it hadn’t dawned on me until then that it was in the area near that Chiptole. As we were reading the sign and deciding what to do that manager saw us and came out to apologize as well. He said that the water main had been fixed but they needed to go through and sanitize the entire kitchen before they could open up. They had a box full of gift cards on the counter right next to the door and he just handed us roughly half a dozen free dinner gift cards as well. Again we hadn’t complained at all, and frankly were very understanding given the situation.

I don’t know if it’s a regional thing or if the people at all the Chiptoles are the same, but it certainly has resonated with us. We have NEVER had any other chain be as giving when they perceived even the slightest inconvenience to their customers. Other chains could learn a lot from this. It’s just one reason why we keep going to Chipotle.

• ChunkyBarf says:

I got some Chipotle coupons (buy 1 get 1 free type of deal) in the mail for a new location near my house. I took them to a different location close to my work and they accepted them without any questions. I was prepared for the token ‘Sorry, these are only valid at the new store’, but they took them and I got a free burrito out of it. I was pretty happy.

9. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

Greyhounds. Ugh.

Give me an honest droopy bloodhound or lab any day over those giant nervous weirdo rat dogs.

• sjackson12 says:

I have a greyhound, they’re amazing. And I’m not sure how they resemble a “rat” in anyways.

That picture isn’t even of a greyhound!

• RedOryx says:

The dog in the picture looks like an Italian Greyhound.

• sjackson12 says:

Yes I think you’re right. Those are a bit ratlike in appearance.

• Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

No offense meant. I just wanted to call something rat-like today. And, well, I lived in this neighborhood once where almost every dog owner had miniature greyhouds and would stand around and obsess about how fragile and prone to infection their skin was and how loud noises scared them and how awful their poops smelled. I guess it traumatized me.

Plus, I just really like big droopy dog faces and floppy ears. The dog in that pic is the opposite of that.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I’m a cat person.

Or maybe I’m just really, really confused today.

• sjackson12 says:

I just didn’t want you to think that was an actual greyhound somehow. I’m not too into small dogs. Greyhounds however are amazing pets, and probably the lowest maintenance dog there is. In some ways they are very catlike!

10. Murph1908 says:

Not the first time a small slip of paper and a greyhound has cost someone $50.

11. Nighthawke says:

That is why man invented Bitter Apple sprays and gels to discourage chewing.

• kerry says:

They totally don’t work. It doesn’t take long for the dog to get past the bitter taste and start chowing down.

• yurei avalon says:

Hot pepper oil works a lot better in my experience. Our cats started chewing on wires when they were kittens so we rubbed the wires with a bit of hot pepper oil. You should have seen the faces the cats started making after putting one of those suckers in their mouth. Then they promptly puked. They never did chew on another wire again after that though.

Though I could see it being a problem if the animals got it on their paws and then in their eyes somehow.

12. Yomiko says:

“this dog really, really likes to chew up paper”

Take out “paper” and sub in “anything that will fit in her fat mouth” and you have my boyfriend’s boxer/newfie mix. Oh, how my life has changed since moving in there…

13. AngryK9 says:

THis is why you don’t feed your dog table scraps, because in their minds, anything on the table is food, since food comes from the table, when they are fed table scraps. Serves them right.

14. Serenefengshui says:

Yet another reason not to own a dog…

15. Joseph S Ragman says:

I miss my Greyhound every day …