Tips To Sell Your Home During Cold Months

It’s tough enough to sell a home when the weather is cooperating, and more difficult still when the cold keeps prospective buyers withdrawn and sluggish. But no matter what factors are stacked against sellers, some will find a way to get rid of their homes.

MSN offers tips that may separate successful sellers from those whose homes remain on the market for months. Here’s a sampling:

* Sell low. Buyers tend to look for bargains during the winter, so if you don’t price your home accordingly you’re probably wasting your time. If you price your home too high, you’re inviting unproductive haggling from people not willing to pay a fair price, as well as scaring off others.

* Advertise your home the way it looks during nice weather. No one wants to picture themselves snowed in. Also, dead branches and scattered leaves can make a nice yard look like a dump. Use attractive, cheery pictures of your home to send out a more positive image.

* Use extra lighting inside. The lack of sunlight during dreary months can make interior shots seem drab. Up your wattage to make things look brighter and more joyful.

5 tips to ensure your home sells in the winter [MSN]

Comments

1. Marlin says:

In other words make your house look like its not what your house looks like.

• bluline says:

No, that’s not it at all. There’s nothing wrong, for instance, in using photos shot during the spring or summer to make the property look more attractive. If I were selling my home today, I’d definitely use summer photos as opposed to those with the property buried under 10 inches of snow.

• Kevinsky says:

That’s true about selling a house in ANY season

• rob3912811 thinks this site is full of retards and assclowns with cats for friends. says:

That’s the key to selling anything, from houses to fast food. I’m always amazed at how good things can end up looking in photos.

2. Rachacha says:

“Advertise your home the way it looks during nice weather” I knew in 2011 that I was going to be selling or renting out my old home, so when the flowers and trees were in full bloom in the spring, I snapped several photos of the exterior. When I finally met with a realtor to sell the home I told him that i had photos of the exterior and he was extremely happy as all new listings had a front yard that was dry and brown with very few flowers, and I had a nice lush green grass with lots of flowers which helped to sell the POTENTIAL beauty of the home.

3. crispyduck13 says:

6. Set your thermostat to at least 73 degrees F. You do not want people walking in from the cold and 5 minutes later commenting how they can’t warm up or how drafty the house feels. Make it feel warm and cozy.

7. If you have a very efficient heater or well insulated home, lay out your most recent heating bill for the buyer to see.

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

If you have any positive aspects that can’t be seen directly, such as energy-efficient appliances or solar anything, etc. showing the energy bill is a good idea.

• Rachacha says:

As a counter to setting the temperature to 73 in the winter, make sure to turn down the AC if you are selling in the summer. A house will seem refreshing when it is 98 degrees and 90% humidity and it is nice and cool inside.

• Rebecca K-S says:

I wouldn’t turn it down too far, though. When I was househunting in the summer, if I went into a particularly cool home – while I was dressed for summer weather – it was refreshing for a minute, but pretty quickly, I just wanted to get out of there.

• SG_Cleve says:

Does “turn up the AC” and “turn down the AC” mean the same thing?

4. Cat says:

DON’T let the real estate agent take a picture of your house during the winter! Plan ahead, and take some pictures when it’s nice out and the yard work is done.

5. Rebecca K-S says:

I have no idea how I got the real estate gods to smile on me when I listed my shitty condo last December, but smile they did – I had an offer in under three weeks, and two months later, the place was but a memory.

It really was just luck, though. It’d been listed for two years when I bought it.

6. Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Having learned the hard way: NEVER buy a house in the winter. Ever. Wait until the springtime or summer. There are too many things that can be missed or hidden in cold, snowy weather such as the actual state of the land it’s on, actual viability of walls and roof in wet weather (winter is a relativley dry season), actual plumbing condition, and on and on. Also, a professional house inspection may by a lot more cursory in the wintertime.

• MaytagRepairman says:

I learned the hard way that some realtors can’t work as much as you want during the winter either. They know business is slow then and they plan vacations and training during that time. Things happen slower and you can be handed off to another agent or an assistant for part of the job.

• MaryK says:

Winter being a dry season depends on where you live. Up here in the Pacific NW we have almost non-stop rain in winter and near drought like conditions in summer…

7. energynotsaved says:

We all know what to do. Get rid of stuff. CLEAN! Depersonalize. CLEAN! Make it airy and light. Put in the max watt of bulbs allowed. CLEAN the carpet. Scrub the floors. Wash the windows. Wash the curtains. Tidy the laundry room. CLEAN!

In the winter, get a small crockpot and heat up apple cider with LOTS of cinnamon. Leave a dipper and disposable cups for use by those touring. Make them associate the house with good smells and warm emotions.

Clean out the garage. If you have so much stuff that you need to keep, but clogs the house, rent a storage locker. Did I mention CLEAN?

When I was house hunting, I was so amazed by the dirt and crap that people had in their homes. Don’t give a potential buyer a reason to dislike the house. In summary, declutter, depersonalize, clean.

• u1itn0w2day says:

110% agree. And unfortunetly for your heating bill that includes airing the place out. Even in a hot enviorment you have to turn the AC off and air the place out.

We have a foreclosure that’s not selling after 2 years & 2 runs on the market. After the first one the realtor would come by and open windows, there were never contractors there but simply open windows. Long story short the previous owner cook really spicy smelly foods among other things.

Air the place out and yes clean and probably paint-a light color in winter, try to plan and paint when windows can be opened. Clean any windows that might fog up, sometimes the fog is moisture on a dirt film. Also don’t forget to clean the window sills. The inside of the house will get much more attention. Remember to open & clean the drapes,shades and blinds. Clean or replace lamp shades, old ones can get dirty or fade. Look at the house yourself in the conditions a buyer might look at it.

8. Cor Aquilonis says:

As usual, I find the comments section more helpful than the article (which is somewhat helpful.)