Here Are 5 Jobs That Are More Stressful Than Yours

Although just about everyone seems convinced that their jobs are the most stressful in existence, most of them are just being whiners. Real stress comes from working for ruthless bosses and clients, toiling through countless, sleep-depriving hours, and in some cases, putting your life on the line.

CareerCast set out to identify the most stressful jobs of all, and came up with this list, which may deter you from contemplating career changes to these occupations:

* Enlisted soldier. From having their time micro-managed through daily training and grunt work to risking their necks on the front lines in months-long deployments, the job is taxing and brutal.

* Firefighter. Having to be constantly ready to suit up and head out on rescue endeavors, sometimes battling deadly blazes, takes its physical and mental toll.

* Pilot. The responsibility for the lives — let alone schedules — of hundreds of passengers per trip is a heavy burden to carry. Poor hours, layovers and jet lag contribute to the difficulty.

* Police officer. The public too often takes for granted their sole protection from nasty criminal elements. Officers place their lives on the line to deal with dangerous sociopaths.

* Event coordinator. Being taxed with the burden of managing moving pieces to make sure an event goes off without a hitch can keep you up at night. As an event approaches, things only get more difficult, forcing planners to work around the clock to ensure things go smoothly.

The 10 Most Stressful Jobs of 2012 [CareerCast via PR Daily]

Comments

1. CubeRat says:

I agree with the first four, but no way do I agree with Event coordinator.

And I think that Police officer would be more stressful than pilot. Don’t misunderstand me, I think commercial and military pilots have very stressful jobs; but I base this on the number of people that learn to fly and fly for their own pleasure….don’t see many cops do that with their job.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

I work with Event Coordinators as part of my job–I can assure you, it can be very stressful, especially when you add a technological element to it. You want people to be able to participate over the web through a slide demonstration, or listen in over the phones, or join in by watching the video, or even just in the room, there are dozens upon dozens of things that can go wrong every day.

These kinds of events are not just things like weddings or conventions, but can include things like press releases, internal “town hall” style meetings, and series of training sessions for a variety of fields.

Some people thrive on the stress of organizing these sorts of logistics, but it’s still stress. They are some of the most anxious people I’ve ever met.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’m sure it’s horribly stressful but does it really compare to the stress of having one’s life be on the line?

• Buckus says:

I agree to that sentiment. There are tons of jobs that are stressful – very much so – but not life-threatening in the same sense of being a soldier or police officer or firefighter.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I’ve always assumed the same thing for a convenience store worker or cab driver.

• Rachacha says:

I think it depends on the size and length of the event. Planning a short event like a wedding for 100-150 people is relatively easy, but planning a weeklong large event like the Consumer Electronics Show could be pretty stressful for the weeks leading up to and during the event. If you work as a coordinator for a production company, that could be stressful as you are dealing with a new event every week or so, however having worked for a caterer and knowing several people who plan CES type events, it really somes down to planning and trusting your support crew.

I was recently tasked with coordinating logistics for a day long meeting for 400+ people. On the day of the event, my coworkers were running around like crazy people until I put a box on the table with 40 numbered envelopes. Each envelope corresponded to a speaking panel in a particular room, and contained all of the supplies that we needed for that particular panel, name tags, pencils, handouts etc. I assigned every person a room and all I had to do was deal with minor glitches that came up.

• dwtomek says:

We’re all forgetting the element of bridezillas. I can see how planning weddings could be incredibly stressful. As for this list, they could have put any five jobs in there and been accurate in relation to my job. Every job in existence is more stressful than mine.

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

You’ve obviously never tried to coordinate a large event worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars or worked in the tradeshow industry.

Having helped clients ship equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars from multiple locations across the US and seeing that equipment installed and tested onsite in the show space, coordinating travel arrangements for event personnel, managing the booth, and finally making sure everything is dismantled and returned properly is incredibly stressful, both physically and mentally.

• Nuc says:

My wife declared shenanigans on the Event Coordinator.

She’s a Public School Bus driver and said dealing with the abhorrent behavior of all the “precious little snowflakes” and not killing them in a crash at the same time was pretty stressful.

• Charmander says:

My sister was an Event Coordinator, and because I have first hand knowledge of what her job was like, and what she went through, and the kind of people and problems she had to deal with, I’d say it should definitely be on the list.

Notice I wrote my sister “was” an event coordinator. She eventually had to quit because the job was making her insane.

2. ThatTastesTerrible! says:

I don’t see bank teller.

• mavrick67 says:

Thats #1 on the most thankless jobs.

• smo0 says:

That’s the thing… I’ve read some of the highest stress/suicide jobs would be ATC and Call Center/Customer Service employee…

trust me, I’ve been a CSR for much of my working life… it’s intense… and believe it or not – it’s not even the customers so much as the work “rules” of call evaluation, handletimes and their way of dicking employees out of raises because of those two things.

When I worked for Citicards – I got a 9 cent raise in a total of 3 years.

• Saberpilot says:

Any CSR really, but banking seems to be the worst.

3. Geosama says:

I think customer service falls under this category

• tdogg241 says:

Hardly. It may be occasionally stressful at times, but it’s not even in the same league as any of these jobs. Well, maybe event coordinator, although the two require vastly different levels of time and effort. But the other four involve keeping yourself/others safe and alive. That doesn’t even compare to the occasional shouting from an irate customer.

• dragonfire81 says:

You’ve never worked at a call center have you?

• RvLeshrac says:

Front-line retail customer service can be worse. There’s nothing in between you and the customer, and you’re not even allowed to defend yourself should they become violent.

• make7acs says:

Having been a soldier in the Military and now working in a management position for a call center, I can safely say that customer service is FAR more stressful. I’m sure some call centers may be a bit lax, but the majority I know have their employees tasked way beyond normal human capabilities.

Hell, haven’t you seen all of the office videos of people having mental break downs?

• Wolfbird says:

No. Just remember to take responsability for what your company has done and clients won’t yell at you. Hell, say sorry even if it isn’t your fault. Really.

4. dolemite says:

Sorry, no. I’m a galactic guardian that is tasked with keeping the peace in this sector. I deal with fires, floods, criminals, wars and on the side I coordinate weddings.

• Harvey The Wonder Hamster says:

But can you defeat the color yellow?

(waves yellow sweater at dolemite)

• PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

He can now.

Little known fact: Hal Jordan makes the BEST fondue!

• Harvey The Wonder Hamster says:

Only cheese fondue, not chocolate. For Hal Jordan still fears the color brown because of the dreaded Brown Lanterns.

5. eturowski says:

One of these things is not like the others…

6. Rachacha says:

OH YEAH!!! Well I am an enlisted soldier on the fire crew of an aircraft carrier training to be a pilot. Beat That!

OK, I am not really, but when I was a kid my GI Joe, firetrucks and toy airplanes were commonly used together.

• teke367 says:

I actually used to work with a guy who was in the Air Force on the Fire squad, so he was basically an enlisted soldier, fire fighter and pilot. Kind of sad that he needed a second job.

Though, he wasn’t deployed, and this was just after 9/11, so he did get some extra “benefits” by being a soldier and fire fighter, he wasn’t a lonely guy.

• "I Like Potatoes" says:

Pretty sure being in the Air Force does not automatically make you a pilot.

• Draw2much says:

Bwahahahaha! It’s hilarious when people think that if you’re in the Air Force you must know how to fly, or even have a job that has anything to do with planes. Makes me laugh every time….

• Not Given says:

Of all the people I’ve met that were in the airforce, none were pilots. Firefighters, mechanics and a combat videographer, the only officer I knew was a lawyer. None of these people could fly a plane. The videographer had to train to get out of a plane filled with water, though, in case it went down while she was in it. The same training for each different type of jet she might be in.

• sprybuzzard says:

Hey I flew a chair in the Air Force. I flew the hell out of that chair, it was pretty comfy.

• UnbelieverDjak says:

Or a soldier, for that matter.

• tomerson says:

Nor does it make you a solider.

• jumpycore says:

yeah, i’ll say being in afgarristan is pretty gay and stressful. (Afhganistan + Garrison = Afgarristan for you that don’t get it)…not only are we getting shot and blown up, but we have to make sure that our shirts are tucked in, can’t work in 120 degree weather with our coats off so we don’t “offend” anyone, and so much more. i mean come on really

7. Patriot says:

What about physicians? They make life or death decisions every single day, except unlike with enlisted soldiers and police officers, if they make the wrong decision, they are likely to be sued into bankruptcy.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

But they generally have 6-figure salaries to make up for it and malpractice surgery to protect themselves.

• sjackson12 says:

Money doesn’t eliminate stress. Also malpractice is pretty expensive.

Being a psychiatrist specifically would be incredibly difficult I would think.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Money doesn’t eliminate stress but it definitely helps to offset it. Otherwise, people would be turning down promotions left and right.

• Patriot says:

They also enter the work force a couple hundred thousand dollars in debt and long after a lot of other people are making a good living. I just read an article on google news today about how many doctors are going bankrupt.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It’s definitely not an easy field but it’s not the only one that is expensive. How do the bankruptcy rates compare against the population at large?

• msbask says:

The minute I see any of my physicians driving a Kia is the minute I’ll feel sorry for them.

• Patriot says:

Ha. I know a doctor that was driving a 10 year old Kia Optima until his parents bought him a new car.

• MajorGroove says:

I’m a doctor, albeit a young one. I drive a 13-year-old Volkswagen, and it’s not by choice. Medical school will put you approximately $200,000 in the hole right out the door. Then you’re a resident, earning $40-60k per year for 3-5 years while working 80 hours a week. Then, your fate rests on your chosen field. Some of the highest-paying fields also come with astronomical malpractice premiums, so be careful to factor that in as well. Primary care physicians are generally the lowest paid.

Personally, I’d like to add “social worker” to this list. They burn out harder and faster than we physicians do.

• The Lone Gunman says:

‘Malpractice surgery’?

Is this some new field of medicine where a medical error is excised by deftly cutting it away from the body?

• elephant says:

Malpractice insurance or a large salary don’t take the stress away of having someone’s life in your hands – nor does it make it less stressful to break news to a patient that they are out of medical options and are going to die. It’s just not as easy as you seem to think.

8. jennsters says:

My enlisted soldier/military police officer husband completely agrees that event coordinators are just as stressed as he is.

9. Marlin says:

Numebr 1 reason cops quit is bordom. Yea you hear about shot outs etc… but most cops will never see anything like that. They see paperwork and court rooms.

10. Nuc says:

Retired cop here…the Police Officer and Firefighter are worse in the fact that they go from sheer and utter boredom at times, to stress levels shooting through the roof mere seconds later.

The continual massive shift in stress levels is crazy.

• Gally says:

Enlisted soldier here says that’s pretty much exactly what a deployment is.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

That was essentially my experience in the Army. Sheer, mind numbing boredom followed by agonizing stress.

Then again, boredom was typically better than crap details meant to keep people busy.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Same for soldiers. In one of those popular multi-player military shooter games, the developers wanted to put in a level where absolutely nothing happens. You’re on patrol. And nothing happens the entire level. They wanted to simulate how soldiers spend 90% of their time when on duty, but the idea was scrapped because it would be boring, and nobody wants boring in their shoot-em-up video games.

I can’t remember who said it, but it goes along the lines of “protecting the public is comprised of vast stretches of unrelenting boredom, puncutated by ten minutes of mind-numbing terror.”

• LadyTL says:

Huh, so all the mindless boring fetch quests in my RPGs/RPG-shooters actually make it more realistic? Cool.

• nbs2 says:

Don’t forget the EMS folks.

11. pop top says:

Do you mean to tell me that people who actively put their lives in danger and run the risk of being injured, maimed or killed are more stressed out than say, a barista or a data entry clerk? LUDICROUS I SAY.

• pop top says:

Whoa, wait. I didn’t even see event coordinator. That is ridiculous. Why is that even on the list? Somebody is a damn moron.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Have you ever organized an event where 1000 people are going to be showing up to the same place, at the same time, and they are expecting say, a demonstration of the company’s new product.

They’re all going to be crammed into the auditorium, so you’d better hope the power stays on, the AC is working full-force, and that there’s enough seating for everyone who was invited, as well as potential extras.

Then the demonstration, well, hopefully the product actually WORKS. And then if it’s something small and up front, you’d better hope that the AV guys know what they’re doing, and that they’re projecting the video correctly on the big screens placed around the auditorium. And hopefully the sound system was calibrated properly, so you don’t have that aggravating feedback. And the microphones need fresh batteries (or need to be plugged in) and there need to be enough chairs on stage for all of the invited speakers.

Then, since the meeting is running through lunch, you need to make sure that there is food availabe for all of those people, and so you have to make sure the catering company showed up and that the food was prepared properly and that you have enough for everybody.

• pop top says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t think that you can compare the job an event coordinator does to a police officer dealing with a hostage situation, or a firefighter having to rescue children from a burning building.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“And then there’s the whole anxiety of having to trust that the people who RSVP’d will actually show up, because otherwise much of your effort will be wasted. And the worry that of the dozens of people who have their own jobs to do, someone will slip up, and forget something vital, and it will throw the whole event off track, to the point that your bosses are up there cracking jokes about poor planning–which means that no matter WHO screwed up, their mistakes all reflect on YOU.”

That sounds a lot about being a Jr NCO in the infantry, except that your decisions can result in people dying or being permanently maimed.

12. Gman says:

I’d seriously add to this list Teachers – very long days, constant fear of parent “revenge” and ever increasing federal/state demands with a constantly decreasing budget and little pay.

Sure they get long vacation times, but when actually working I don’t think I know of a teacher who is not stressed out to heck.

• StarKillerX says:

Yeah those 6-7 hour days, 5 days a week with summers, a week or two at Christmas, a couple weeks in the spring and numerous other holidays are just grueling.

• VintageLydia says:

I know plenty of teachers and none of them work as little as that. None.

• tbax929 says:

I was in an LTR with a teacher, and those were her hours. I’m not saying all teachers have such light schedules, but I was amazed at how little she worked.

• delicatedisarray says:

My mother is a teacher. During holiday times they are required to attend classes and have to earn a certain amount of credits each year and they go on probation. So yeah, if there are teachers our there that get those kinds of breaks they are damn lucky and my mom is working in the wrong school district.

• StarKillerX says:

Well obviously she is then.

As for the CE credits, there are a number of professions with the same requirements although they don’t get the pay, benifits and reduced working hours that teachers get, nurses for example.

The of NY I live is is mostly rural and the local school district not only has more then a dozen teachers making over $100k a year (not counting if they coach or teach summer classes), but classes run 9-3 for elementary and 8-2 for Jr/Sr High and it’s been my experience that most teachers arrive no more then 30 minutes before, and leave less then 30 minutes afterwards.

In addition the teacher with the most classes only teach 5 45 minute classes a day, with the vast majority only have 4 45 minute classes a day, which results only 3 to 3.75 hours a day spent “in classes” which gives them plenty of time to prep for classes as well as correct assignments during their work day.

• Earl Butz says:

Huh. My wife teaches high school. Ten hours a day, not counting training, parent conferences, school nights, and dances and athletic events, which they are required to work. Three months off in summers? Not here. Try six weeks (sucks for the kids and parents too), of which two weeks are mandatory inservice training (one week at the end of school and one at the beginning).

I’m a software developer. I work the same hours but definitely rack up more vacation time. Not that I can use it.

• DrRonIsIn says:

While that might be typical where you live, it is not typical for the profession.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

You “one of those people” who thinks they know everything about teaching, but don’t have a clue. I’d like to throw you in the middle of an urban middle school for a few weeks and see just how easy you still think it is.

• Outrun1986 says:

Being a Teacher is somewhat dangerous too because a student can get violent on you, and you don’t know when and where its going to happen, and as a teacher you probably don’t have any power to stop them as teachers cannot lay hands on any student for any reason from what I understand. Then there are also the parents to deal with, which could in turn be worse than dealing with the children. A teacher is usually not equipped with any weapons or defense equipment like a police officer is.

The risk is probably substantially less than a police officer, firefighter and soldier but there is nothing saying that it cannot happen.

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Teachers also don’t get paid for all that vacation time. Teachers in my state have a daily pay amount. You can choose to get it distributed over a full year, but Christmas, spring break, and summer time off goes unpaid. Most teachers I know have to work in the summer or take seasonal jobs over Christmas to help them make decent wage. In our state, insurance rates are so high, you practically have to.

13. May contain snark says:

* Prostitute.

14. Doubting thomas says:

Having worked with many event coordinators on many occasions, both in corporate and private functions I would have to estimate that about 75% of the stress on event coordinators is put their by their own ineptitude. It seems to be an industry mainly poepled by former sorority girls looking for a way to use their marketing, or other liberal arts degree

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

I agree with most of this … the event coordinators at some of the places I’ve worked were exactly that. Also, one thing they had in common: if something went wrong, it was always somebody else’s fault. I remember one of them going ballistic for two whole days because some untrained kid on her staff didn’t order the right salads for a 200-seat dinner. That poor kid finally quit after that. That event coordinator neglected to oversee her staff – she should have been especially diligent about the work of a young, inexperienced staff member. Ugh.

15. Nobby says:

Judging by how much Obama has aged in 3 years, I’d say being President is right up there with the top 5.

• katarzyna says:

Sample size for that occupation is pretty small, though.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

You can’t say for sure that hasn’t been caused by other factors such as raising 2 teen daughters in the public spotlight, living with his mother-in-law, or being married to the First Mooch.

• StarKillerX says:

Well actually that is all part of it, because not only are you the President but you still have a wife and family at the same time. Yes there are times that a family can help you handle stress better, but there are also times having one will simply add to your stress.

What so many don’t understand is that once you reach a certain level in any occupation your time off is no longer guaranteed to be your own. A perfect example is when people complain about Obama/Bush/Clinton’s going on vacation. Let’s be real, do you think just because the President in at Camp David, or in Hawaii that his duties are on hold until he returns?

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

It’s amazing how quickly Presidents age. The same thing happened with Clinton and Bush. I’m sure the stress must absolutely eat away at them. Bush and Obama were in significantly better physical shape than Clinton, yet went through the exact same, highly visible aging as him.

16. whatdoyoucare says:

Hmmmmm, I would have thought drug smuggler or prostitute would have made the list before event coordinator ;)

17. TheMansfieldMauler says:

Police officers are not my sole protection from nasty criminal elements. Personal safety is a personal responsibility. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

• Fantoche_de_Chaussette says:

Yeah, police mostly document crimes after they occur. Their role in *preventing* crime is way overblown.

Also, the story erroneously assumes that “Police Officers” and “Psychopaths” are non-overlapping sets, when in fact the job is basically a psychopath magnet. Who protects us from the psychopathic cop?

18. Gally says:

You mean people that have to deal with physical violence, war, and hazardous environments have high-stress jobs? GTFO.

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

And people who have to make sure they get the correct counts so they don’t run out of chicken marsala.

19. dangerp says:

I’ll have to show this to my father, who is a firefighter. He was just telling me how he got one and a half calls in the last four days.

#slowstationinthemiddleofnowhere

• dolemite says:

What do they do the rest of the time? Work out? Clean the trucks?

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Xbox. So much Xbox.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

According to most of the episodes of Emergency! I’ve seen, it appears that firefighters make a lot of chili and/or talk about making chili during their down time.

• sadie kate says:

Based on the half dozen firemen who were very seriously debating the best kind of meat to put in chili last week at the grocery store while blocking me from accessing the entire meat aisle, I’d cosign that.

• Potted-Plant says:

My husband works for a small but very well funded municipality (he’s not a firefighter). They haven’t had a building fire in 30 years. It’s a sweet gig to be a firefighter out there.

• Rocket says:

How do you get half a call? Did the other guy hang up in the middle or something?

20. VashTS says:

I agree, police, soldiers and firefighters have it tough. Especially protecting people you don’t want to. Why should you have to put your life on the line for people who run are in a parade. Here in NYC it’s called the Caribbean Day parade. Shear madness. I feel sorry for the cops.

21. DrPizza says:

I don’t agree with firefighters – at least not generally. Possibly in big cities, but I rather doubt it in smaller cities. Locally, many of the paid firefighters desire the night shift. Apparently, they sleep, because several run full time businesses during the daytime. There’s an average of less than a half dozen structure fires per year in that city. If you watched them putting out some of those fires – standing around while the snorkel directs a stream of water at one spot on the roof, and a couple other hoses direct water on one or two other regions of the about to burn to the ground house, you’d have trouble explaining what was stressful.

Volunteer firefighters on the other hand – they hear there’s a structure fire, and they’re running out the door. I doubt they find it “stressful.”

A similar profession though – paramedics, EMTs, etc. – THEIR jobs are stressful. And, often there is some overlap with them and firefighters. Getting a call to an accident at 2am on a Friday night, they have no idea what to expect – bumps and bruises? Or mangled bodies barely clinging to life?

• Not Given says:

The firefighters here in town have 24 hour shifts. There are three shifts, they are at the firestation with trucks ready to go, then the next day they are free to do what they want as long as they stay available, on call, to go to the firestation when there is a fire. Then the next day they have off. Repeat. Some do have other jobs or are self employed. In a small town nobody is highly paid. We also have volunteer firefighters who get paid for each fire they respond to, they all have regular jobs.

I know a retired civil service firefighter captain on an army base who got to stop his blood pressure meds as soon as he retired. When the doctor expressed surprise he told him “Don’t you ever let anyone tell you that stress won’t kill you.”

22. umbriago says:

Event coordinator? How about drug dealer?

You have to handle large amounts of money, dodge the police, haggle over price, ensure quality, supervise employees, and then there’s the competition: you either have to run them out of business or bury them, because they’re trying to run you out of business or bury you, too!

Now that’s stress.

(source: The Wire, HBO)

23. bonzombiekitty says:

Air traffic controllers aren’t on the list, but pilots are? I’d think ATCs would be more stressed than pilots as they are responsible for the safety of dozens of planes filled with a couple hundred people each at any given time.

• mister_roboto says:

Yep. A friend of mine is. The requirements to be an ATC are ridiculously low, but most people wash out of the training because when they realize if they make a mistake they could kill hundreds of people- it totally gives them a mental breakdown, in the training!

• tomerson says:

True – actual real academic and scientific research consistently put controllers in the top five (if not first).

The methodology used here is crude and non-scientific.

24. elephant says:

Interesting list – I agree with several, but I think any job where you have people’s lives in your hands should automatically be more stressful than “event planner” or “taxi driver” – At 34 years old and going gray, I like to say that each gray hair on my husband’s head is a life saved – I’m mystified at how some sort of high stress physician speciality isn’t on this list – any day where you have to puncture someone’s aorta in order to save their life is more stressful than planning a huge event – I don’t care if it’s the royal wedding – nobody will die if you screw up.

25. Jane_Gage says:

* Teaching in the middle of an urban war zone

26. majortom1981 says:

What about an IT admin? I am the one making sure a lot of those people have the equipment working right to do their jobs? You know the 911 system that dispatches the firefighters and police? Yup The computer systems the millitary uses? Yup, The computer systems those CEOs use daily? yup. The computer system and phone system the even coordinator uses to contact people and do paperwork ? yup.

IT admin is very stressfull because if I screw up the whole place grinds to a hault. IF your an IT admin in a bank or insurance company you screw up they lose millions.

• framitz says:

I agree, having been an IT sysadmin in the past.

• Netstar says:

I have been in IT for 20 years and I agree that IT should be on the list. IT as one of the most stressful, least respected, and underpaid occupations. Every employed person is dependent on the computer systems to be up 100% for them to do their job either directly or indirectly. I managed systems that cost the company 1 million dollars a second if they were unavailable.

I witnessed one IT co-worker have a stroke on the job and he was in his 30’s. I had a co-worker that worked for a major IT company and he witnessed 2 co-workers in the IT dept. that died of heart attacks on the job and they were in their 30’s.

When you work in IT Support, you are expected to do your job 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year. The little free time you have on your own is spent studying to keep up with the technology at your own expense.

• JohnManley says:

1 million dollars a second – isn’t that like 3.6 billion dollars an hour or 31.5 trillion dollars a year?

27. Draw2much says:

Thanks for putting Enlisted military people on that list. It’s not an easy life.

28. MattO says:

my wife is an assistant general manager of a country club – and she is also their “event planner”. she handles all events, as well as running their restaurant, and day to day operations. she works 100+ hours per week (often 7 days) during the season, and 50+ off-season, usually 6 days/week….i can tell you, that is a VERY stressful job. i dont have it in me to do it, but her happiest moment is a bride coming up at the end of the night, saying “you made my wedding perfect”

29. ldillon says:

I’ve found that the amount of stress in your jobs has a lot to do with your manager and his boss.

30. little stripes says:

I’ve done event and volunteer coordination. I loved it but HOLY CRAP is it stressful.

31. Nothing says:

I think Correctional Officer should be on that list as well.

32. dwfmba says:

please remove event coordinator from a list containing heros taking real risks…

• Jillia says:

Agreed, thank you. All you backing up the event coordinator about how stressful it is, I’m sure it is, but nobody’s effing life is on the line!! Geez!!

My husband’s a cop in the inner depths of hell (otherwise known as North Philly) so don’t tell me event coordinator’s have it hard.

• dolemite says:

But…one mistake and the dinner guest are served ham, and it’s severely offensive to the bride’s parents, and next thing you know, the entire marriage is ruined, just ruined I tell you.

33. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

Event coordinator? Give me a break. Nobody ever died because a tray of cheese puffs was served cold.

34. Maltboy wanders aimlessly through the Uncanny Valley says:

And here I thought my job as a crack whore in a weapons depot was stressful.

35. RocheCoach says:

Really? Being a police officer and a soldier is more stressful than my job? What a wonderfully informed, enlightening article!

36. Mclick says:

Try working at McDonalds and seeing a bus pull up outside, then come see talk to me about stress.

37. Velifer says:

Police have no duty to protect anyone. They most certainly are not the “sole protection” from anything, and often are dangerous sociopaths themselves.

• dakeypoo says:

You are spot on, but sadly most citizens don’t know this. They think because it says “serve and protect” on the car, that police are legally bound to protect you.

38. harrier666 says:

I’m an airline pilot on a leave, going to law school. Some people here have suggested that ATC might be more stressful than being a pilot, but like doctors, the difference between ATC and pilots is the controller’s life is never on the line. They have indirect responsibility for many lives, but the pilots have the final say in all those lives and their own. Nothing like knowing if you mess up, many lives are lost, including yours.

ATC also has better rules, generally, regarding sleep, breaks, etc. They are also paid more. I made welfare wages my first two years as an airline pilot, I was home only 6 days a month on average, was on call to the max allowed by the FAA, and yet I could still get welfare if I wanted. ATC goes home every night with good pay.

That isn’t to say ATC isn’t stressful. I’d say it should be on the top 5 as well, but I understand why pilots are and they aren’t.

I miss flying, and law school is stressful, but the stress is nothing compared to flying a jet on 4 hours of sleep through a thunderstorm at the end of a 16 hour duty day. It is amazing to me that the most dangerous jobs (piloting and commercial fishing) not only allow, but basically require, the employees work 16 hours at a time. Of course, I’ll probably return after my leave to flying because I love it, which is why they have us pilots by the dangly bits.

• harrier666 says:

Oh, and I should add, lawyering is tough I’m told, but they cope by being the most drug addled career bunch. Pilots can’t cope by using drugs, alcohol (for the most part), or any anti-anxiety meds. So, we don’t really have many outs for dealing with our stress. The same is true for four out of five of the listed jobs here. I imagine that plays no small part.

• CubeRat says:

…and we truly appreciate those pilots that obay the rules and do not indulge in drugs, alcohol (for the most part), or any anti-anxiety meds.

39. Hungry Dog says:

Yay! Recognition for us enlisted folk!

40. witeowl says:

Sorry, but having been a taxi driver and now being a teacher, I can definitely say that being a teacher is much more stressful than driving a cab. Not to say that teaching should be in the top ten, necessarily, but driving a cab definitely shouldn’t be in the top ten.

41. Saberpilot says:

I’d take a few of these over my job any day. At least a lot of these actually end up helping people, unlike my job at the bank. :

42. frenchman says:

Okay – the possibility of getting killed at work is stressful.

…got it.

43. djshinyo says:

Poor Event Planners!

44. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

Teaching. Definitely very stressful. Not only do you have to manage large groups of kids all day and deal with parents, admin, state testing and NCLB, but you have to take papers home and spend your evenings grading them.

• Jillia says:

Something people don’t realize is that your day isn’t necessarily over with the last ring of the bell. While teachers have that nice perk of summers off, they’re busting their hump the rest of the year. I’d rather see teachers on this list than event coordinators.