Cumberland Farms Fires Employee For Having Too Much Cash In The Register

Usually when we write about a store staffer getting followed in the wake of a robbery it’s because they dared to do something about it, but a man in Massachusetts says he was given the boot from his Cumberland Farms job because his register had too much cash in it when the store was robbed.

According to the former employee at the convenience store, he was fired the morning after being robbed because his register had more than $75 in it at the time of the armed heist.

He tells MassLive.com that his boss told him that by reviewing the tape of the incident they believed that the robber made off with more than $200. He claims it was not that it was likely somewhere between $100-150.

A rep for Cumberland Farms tells MassLive that the company does have a policy limiting the amount of cash in a register drawer at any given time, but she did not actually know what that limit is.

“We limit the amount of cash in the drawer so it doesn’t encourage robberies,” she said. “It’s for the protection of employees and customers.”

The fired fellow says he had made three cash drops into the store safe earlier in the night, but had obviously lost track of exactly how much was in the register by the time the robbery occurred. He said the store had been unusually busy that night.

Some customers of that Cumberland Farms have begun boycotting the chain over the man’s firing.

“It is appalling what they did to him. [The employee] could have been killed, and all they cared about was the little bit of money in the drawer,” one former customer, who says the employee’s pleasant demeanor had encouraged repeat business, explains. “That is so wrong on so many levels.”

Hours after being robbed at work, Cumberland Farms cashier Douglas Moore fired for having too much money in register [MassLive.com]

Thanks to Christine for the tip!

Comments

1. Cosmo_Kramer says:

Having worked in a convenience store, $75 is way too low to have in your drawer. $200 is way too high though.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Hm. The base at the gas station at Meijer is (or was, when I quit) $250 – mostly ones and fives. They couldn’t do with much less. Of course, I occasionally counted a drawer out there that had over a grand. That was no good.

• Derek Balling says:

I’ve worked at Cumberland Farms, to be specific. And I’m sorry, but part of what protected ME was knowing that — especially on a night shift — I had a bare minimum of cash available which dissuaded anyone from robbing me.

It’s not about “the amount they got away with”, it’s about the precedent it sets for future robberies.

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

I’m glad it made you feel better, but someone who robs a convenience store doesn’t research past robberies at that location to find out how much money he can expect. There are much better ways to make a store unattractive to robbers. Free coffee for cops helps. When I worked the midnight shift, one cop or another was in the store with me for most of the night. We had a desk and fax machine for them to fill out reports, but most of the time they were just hanging out until they got their next call.

• mackjaz says:

I know I’m crazy for saying this, but free coffee for cops=bribery.

• RvLeshrac says:

Free food/drinks for cops is because otherwise everything is a pain in the ass for both involved parties. On-duty cops don’t get breaks – they’re on-duty for an entire shift. If they get a call two minutes after you ring them up, they have to leave. They’re going to want their money back when they return.

They usually aren’t given free packaged goods. That would actually be a bribe.

• Kestris says:

Convenience store I worked the night shift at had the limit of $50 after midnight. Anymore than that, we’d be written up.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

That’s why you usually have a safe that will dispense change, and then locks you out for 10-15 minutes. It’s also why the safe will usually always take deposits.

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

Those things are great until you accidentally hit the button for quarters instead of $1s, and then you have no $1s for 15 minutes.

2. Miss Dev (The Beer Sherpa) says:

I really hate it when my business is unusually, especially at night.

In all seriousness, if they want employees doing more frequent money drops, they should put the drop right below the register as they do in 7-Eleven stores. That way, you maintain customer service and the level of cash in the drawer.

• Not Given says:

Yeah, don’t they feed all twenties into the safe as they get them so they don’t end up with too much?

• Sinabu says:

This is what we did. Anytime you take a $20 or higher it instantly goes in the drop once the change is given and hourly checks to reduce the amount of 5′s and 1′s and usually thats a non issue for giving change.

• tbax929 says:

I hate when I’m “followed” after a robbery.

3. stevenpdx says:

This policy is very common in convenience stores, gas stations, etc. I really don’t see a problem with it. It’s not that hard to make a safe drop.

• dolemite says:

He made 3 that night. I’m sure he has a lot of other duties going on, without worrying if there is $75 or $76 in the register at any given moment. He said it was very busy that night, and knowing convenience stores, he was probably the only one working the front.

• stevenpdx says:

Again, it’s generally not that hard to make safe drops. The clerk could have made 3 drops per hour if that’s what it took to keep register cash to company policy.

Yes, part of the reason for the policy is to limit the amount of cash the store loses in a robbery. The other part, though, is to put the message out there that the store won’t be a “mark” for big cash robberies, and to try to deter a robber from hitting a known “high cash” clerk multiple times.

• tsukiotoshi says:

I cant speak to convenient stores, but at the store I worked at the managers were supposed to do drops whenever the computer prompted but it was often so busy in there I’d have to ignore it up to 10 times before a manager could finally do it. I don’t have trouble believing a convenient store clerk could have the same problem. But, really I don’t know.

• bben says:

Having worked as a convenience store clerk, If things are especially busy you may not have the time to make a drop as soon as your till goes over the max you are supposed to have. Especially if you are the only one in the store. I was told to never make my drop when there were customers at the checkout.

• Geotis says:

I don’t see a problem with it either, except for the sever penalty part.

4. YouDidWhatNow? says:

I am unusually about this story.

5. Matthew PK says:

Employee violated a policy *specifically designed to deter robberies*, and was robbed. File this one under “not news”

• pop top says:

Having only $75 instead of $100 doesn’t mean that the store won’t get robbed, it just means that the store will lose less money. And will they even lose any money? Doesn’t their insurance cover this?

• TheMansfieldMauler says:

It isn’t a case of the store losing a certain amount of money. It’s a case of making the risk/reward not worthwhile for the robber so he won’t do it again.

• Matthew PK says:

There is discrepancy over whether there was $200 or so in the drawer. Even so, the amount in the drawer should be easy to determine from the sales log for the night.

The issue isn’t the money. The issue is a violation of policy which exists to deter robbery. If the stores never have enough cash, robberies are less likely.
        Why do you think Cabs have a policy of never carrying much cash? If they carried more, the drivers would be at risk.

• Cosmo_Kramer says:

lol @ insurance claim over $200. No, they just have $200 less. Which is really no big deal.

6. Megalomania says:

even $200 seems to be an absurdly low amount for someone to steal given the potential consequences of an armed robbery. It also seems like $75 is too low to reasonably expect someone to be able to keep it at that level without interfering with the other duties of the job – you’d want something around $20-30 to ensure you can make change for a couple 20s, which gives you $50 or so in cash sales before you have to put the money in the safe.

• Bagumpity says:

Meth heads will kill you for the spare change in your pocket. You get stabby with enough people, it will eventually add up to enough for a hit and some sweet tea.

• soj4life says:

But most c-stores don’t let you cash out $50′s so they can keep a low register amount, so robbers will not rob the clerks. $75 is about right.

7. Bort says:

did the robber know the $75 register policy, and had x-ray vision to determine the register had $75.01 or more?
    it seems the policy is not to prevent robberies, its to make sure the store doesn’t lose money, what if said robber got less then $75 and shot the employee out of frustration of such a low haul?

• tungstencoil says:

I don’t agree with him being terminated, but the policy is not only about limiting cash exposure in a robbery. It is also about future robberies.

There is a belief (can’t say if it is valid) that a business can get a reputation for either being easy to steal from or yielding a lot of money or product for the effort. Back around circa 1970s, they used to not prosecute shoplifters for a similar reason – if you caught one, it sent a “message” that you were shoplift-able. They believe “word on the street” will be that you can score a few hundred in a cash grab if they allow it.

• Bort says:

i understand the theory, but they could easily check if he was right about being too busy to make the drop, if serving customers is the number one priority. They could have a second employee come in and empty the register, esp if the register had some sort of flag saying empty me (its been done elsewhere), or if they would rather piss off customers, they could revise his job so he has to say i can’t serve you, please wait.
        However it seems killing the messenger is easier then revising policy or improving procedures, or even a “there is less then $75 in the register” sign
        I wonder if labour laws didn’t exist, would they subtract the estimated amount stolen from his paycheck?

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

You can usually tell when a cashier is making a drop, because they either feed it into a reader that locks it in place, or they place it into an envelope that gets slid/put into a dump slot into a safe. The joint was probably cased for awhile.

• Billy says:

A sign would be enough.

8. Straspey says:

Occasionally I will be at the checkout of my local supermarket when the cashier has to stop and call one of the “monitors” on the floor. The monitor arrives quickly and the cashier removes a few hundred dollars from her drawer, counts it out, hand it to the monitor who also counts it to confirm the amount, and make a quick note of it on her log, as well as that of the cashier.

The reason this happens is duet to the fact that the cash register is programmed to shut down and lock once it has reached a pre-programmed amount in receipts. At that point it will not accept any more transactions until is is re-set with the key carried by the monitor, who then unlocks the register after the money has been transferred.

This takes the responsibility out of the hands of the cashier for keeping track of the cash flow – and for those who are ready to complain about why should they be inconvenienced and have to wait while this process interrupts their checkout — I can tell you the entire process, from the time the cashier calls for the monitor, to the time she resumes my checkout, is about three minutes.

There’s no reason a cashier should have to bear this responsibility and visit the safe.

• az123 says:

But yet we live in America, and as such the owners / managers of a business can set the rules and instruct those who are working for them to do the job as they see fit (assuming no laws are being violated in the process). So albeit you are showing an alternative way this can be done, if you work for someone and they make it part of your job duties to do something, then it is your responsibility to do it or you can be terminated.

• Rebecca K-S says:

Three minutes in the middle of a transaction to do a drop? Damn. That’s a problematic system right there.

• Dallas_shopper says:

Yeah…as a customer I might be mildly pissed off at having to wait for that. Not at the cashier or manager, they didn’t make the rules…but at the process as a whole.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Usually for convienance stores, there is a reader built into the safe that you enter your ID, and it accepts the bills and keeps a tally. Some even have this device near each register to really make “dropping” hassle free.

• elangomatt says:

It seems a bit silly to me to have the register lock up like that forcing the cashier to do a drop when there might be customers waiting. It seems to me a better system would be for the cashier to get an alert to call for a drop, but still be able to ring out customers. Back in my retail days, it was left up to each cashier when to do drops except during busy times when the supervisor would just go to each register (with a security person) and make every cashier do a drop.

They have since changed it at that store, but I used to do money orders and wire transfers in an area pretty far from the service desk, I was always pretty nervous doing drops especially at the beginning of the month. Sometimes, I would have so many customers right in a row that I’d have $10k in cash in my till and could get away to even do a drop.

• elkhart007 says:

When I worked at Winn Dixie back in the day our registers would give warnings, “pickup needed soon” when we had about $700 in cash. At $1500 they would stop and say “pickup required now”. Most of our office people were good about giving you a pickup, but if I told you twice and you didn’t come get my money then I let it lockup. This usually happened when I was the only cashier, that was the only time you saw them run. Now during the day the front end boss would goto the other extreme and come take all your cash til you had a $75 dollar drawer. A $20 would clear you out since you had $30 in change. I can understand why he was over on what his drawer had, they frown on lots of “no sale” drawer openings. When they started making us log them at the grocery store, I stopped opening my til. Why people go for gas stations though, when I worked at Lowes they did no pickups/drops ever. I always worried about that when I worked there, if someone would figure that out. If you picked up the til at the end of the day in the spring, it was like jackpot, $50s and $100s pop out.

• huadpe says:

Hm. I think that trigger might be why some extreme couponers have broken checkout lanes. The total before coupons gets so high that the machine wants a cash drop, but the transaction isn’t done yet.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Registers usually don’t work that way because it doesn’t know if the order will be cash, check, charge, etc… while it’s ringing. Also, some discounts are not applied until a total is requested. The usual reason that managers have to be called over for large coupon usage is that to prevent fraud by a cashier, after a pre-set dollar limit has been reached, it asks for a managers ID. We had cases when I worked in a supermarket of a cashier ringing in “store coupons”, which didn’t need to be retained, and pocketing the difference in price.

9. az123 says:

Anyone notice this story is pretty much written one-sided. Not that the store is going to release the history from this guy, but maybe he had been written up for not doing drops before, or a history of other things and this was just the final item or excuse to get rid of him?

I could see if the store gets slammed being over like that happening, but perhaps it had been 3 hours since his last safe drop and clearly he was not paying attention and doing what he was suppose to.

Not that I think a store should be firing someone over a couple hundred $$ but seems there is just one side of this story being told by someone who would have motive to make themselves look good

10. Mike says:

Given that he was a night cashier, I see this as a career opportunity.

• Mike says:

Really, there’s 3 possiblities:
      1. Employee routinely doesn’t do cash drops. Eventually he is robbed and loses the whole drawer.
      2. Employee coordinates with robber and makes sure the drawer is full when the store is robbed.
      3. Employee diligently does cash drops, except when it’s really busy. Coincidentally he gets robbed on that same night. Except stores don’t get robbed when they’re busy.

I’m thinking dismissal was appropriate.

11. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

This is one of the reasons why it annoys me so much when retailers complain about credit processing fees, with the implication that cash carries no additional overhead.

• ShruggingGalt says:

It’s not that.

When credit cards/debit cards first got on the market the benefits of accepting in place of less cash were apparent.

But since that time the market has completely flipped and it’s mostly credit cards being accepted. And then the credit card companies can raise their rates whenever they feel like it. Plus the fact that the merchant, who can not tell a customer “You can’t use your Black Card Elite Quadruple Mileage Rewards Card here”, have to pay for that special customer’s rewards in terms of higher discount rates.

Imagine being told that you will get paid. But if you serve a certain customer, you will get paid less. But you can’t tell the customer no, nor can you tell if you will make less money or not before you close the transaction….

12. brinks says:

If the thresh hold for a cash drop is clearly stated in the training materials, and the register gives you some sort of signal that it has exceeded that thresh hold, and the employee ignores that notice, fine. Fire him. But when the person speaking to the media doesn’t even know what the cash limit thresh hold is, I think we have a problem.

Too bad almost every state is employment-at-will and you have no recourse when you’re fired. This is BS.

• Marlin says:

You have recourse, media.

Good chance they will lose more in business from firing him then saving, esp if the locals did know/like the employee.

13. Magical Pig says:

The policy is sound. It can deter robberies if the robbers learn/realize/see sign on wall that a minimal amount cash is in the till. Now it is possible that there will be more robberies because of this score.

Also, if the policy is $75 and lets say he had $80 then the firing would be stupid. But $150 is double what should have been in there.

For those that say Cumberland Farms only cares about money … I doubt they care about a few hundred dollars. But they care about being a target for robberies in which they could have a larger liability, cash or human.

Next comes if was specifically told of the policy and not just “make sure you dump the register frequently”

• dolemite says:

Yeah, but say he had $75 in there. An SUV paying cash for a fill up could have put him at double with current $3.50 a gallon gas prices.

• stevenpdx says:

So you drop that cash immediately and then move on.

• qualia says:

That could get really ridiculous if you have three or four big purchases in a row. What, shut down the store every 5 minutes for three minutes?

Or maybe make dropping a little easier for the employee to ensure it’s done? I know that a lot of the time the “solution” for an employer is to expect employees to work harder, but it’s really in a company’s best interest to make its important policies easy to follow.

14. CubeRat says:

I believe that cash drawer limits are common in cash intensive businesses. And, I believe that employees can be legally terminated for having cash drawers that exceed the limits.

This is true for bank tellers.

Most of the time, if an employee does not follow policy, they just get reprimanded. However, I do know two tellers that lost their jobs because when the bank was robbed, their cash drawer had too much money. And in both cases, those tellers were not the ones that were robbed (another teller was) so none of their drawers lost money.

• TinaBringMeTheAx says:

Back in 1979 when I was teller for Chase in Manhattan, I routinely closed the day with over $300,000 in my drawer. This was usually on Mondays, when all the merchants made their deposits. And no, we never emptied our drawers mid-day.

• CubeRat says:

I was a teller at CU in Portland, OR in the mid-80s and we had a 50k limit. In 93, when I worked at a regional bank, the line tellers had a 125k, vault had a much higher limit.

One day, we’d had a lot of large cash deposits when a guy came in that made the OPS manager nervous. She walked by the tellers and told us (very quietly) to throw our money in the garbage cans. They were actually locked shredding bins that were collected by a company that did our shredding. Later, the managers freaked when they couldn‚Äôt find the key. They had to call corporate security and explain what happened and have someone come to open the bins so we could get the money back out. Security had a good laugh and we became known as the branch that threw away it’s money.

• sponica says:

I’ve worked in three different retail establishments. two of them routinely did cash pulls…if you’re drawer’s exploding with money, they would usually pull a few hundred out and enter it into the computer that they took out money. the place I worked seasonally NEVER did cash pulls…..so the registers would be FULL of money

15. AldisCabango says:

This is nothing unusal. Jack-in-the-Box the limit was 50.00. Same at 7-11 when I worked there.

Jack-in-theBox security would visit stores look in registers and if you had too much money, You would be written up. And possibly suspended if it continued.

16. Don't Bother says:

I don’t think the policy is the problem; it’s the lack of training. I know from working a minimum wage job that they may have a day of orientation, maybe two, and after that you’re on your own. I’m sorry, but after 4-8 hours of rules and procedures, I’m not going to remember every single one of them.

If a policy is this important that to not do it once is eligible for termination, the company needs to remind workers of it until it’s second nature. It looks to me like (from the consumerist article) this was the fault of a store that didn’t ensure that each of its workers were adequately trained.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

As someone who worked multiple jobs at an overnight shift, it’s also usually written on the register/behind the counter somewhere. Of course, back in my day, we paid attention in orientation, and the rules were easy enough for a an idiot to remember. We could also do math in our head. Watch many cashier nowadays have their eyes glaze over when the total comes to $1.36 and you give them $5.01. They can’t understand what the penny is for.

• Darury says:

My favorite ancedote on this: I paid for $3.51 at gas station with a $5 bill. After the cashier rang it up, I realized I had a penny and put it on the counter. The cashier looks at the penny, looks at me, looks at the penny again, goes back to the calculator for about 2 minutes furiously hitting keys, comes back to the counter, looks at the penny again, then gives me $1.49 and my penny back.

• Don't Bother says:

The kind of orientation stuff I’m referring to is when it’s mentioned once (like what code to call over the walkie for a child missing, vs a spill, vs a robbery) and you don’t use it on a daily basis, nor do the managers care if you do. Maybe the manager was lax on this policy until he needed someone to blame.

Side note: Many times at my job, the managers/team leads will assume every team member can do x, y, and z when we were only trained to do x. It’s my my responsibility to follow up on y and z if no manager can help me learn how to do them.

But yeah, I have too once was a cashier and regularly asked people if they have another dollar or a penny, etc so I could give them nicer change : )

17. Sarek says:
    • Jim M says:

Happen to me in the late 80′s. I stood my ground and walked out. I was arrested, charges got dropped. Shithole place to work and still is I know people that work at and manage them.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Wow, a case from 1990 and 1993. Do you have anything in the decade or less ago range?

18. SPOON - now with Forkin attitude says:

my convenience store has a bell that goes off if there is more than 40 dollars in the drawer. It goes off until there’s a drop made, regardless of how many customers are in line. So they have to wait until my cashier rings the bell off.

• Fafaflunkie Plays His World's Smallest Violin For You says:

In other words, a would-be robber would just wait for the bell to ring, and just like Pavlov’s dogs, would jump as soon as he heard it. What a great way to deter robberies. Glad I don’t work there.

19. scoosdad says:

Go here to express your feelings on this one, as I just did:

20. Earl Butz says:

1. Please, somebody, get the Consumerist folks an editor.
    2. Every retail place I’d ever worked (thank goodness I don’t have to do that anymore) has strict rules about cash drops and how much you’re allowed to have in the drawer. This guy broke the rules. Sucks to get fired over that but the whole robbery thing is why they have the rule in the first place.

21. DrPizza says:

Having a policy of keeping less than $75 in the drawer prevents, uhhh, errrr, wait a second… didn’t they get robbed?

22. DonnieZ says:

That seems like a ridiculously low amount, and some of the amounts I see in the comments are ridiculously low as well.

So you’re telling me that if I’m working the local C-store and a guy comes in and buys a couple of cartons of smokes and some gas, hands me $100, I have to stop, make the line of customers wait, while I pull the excess cash from the till in plain view of the customers, make the drop, and then continue on with business until I get to $75 or whatever the amount is again?

This seems ludicrious. I do think that limiting the amount of cash in the till is smart, but making the cashier keep a running total is somewhat crazy.

23. oldwiz65 says:

Money is FAR FAR more important to companies like Cumberland Farms than employee safety or lives.. If the employee gets killed then the store simply hires another one at minimum wage.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

That’s why company policy is to fight to the death with a robber. Even if they only take a penny from the “have a penny” dish. If you take one from Jerry’s Kids, they will actually shoot you.

24. Ahardy55 says:

Reading these comments, it’s clear no one here has ever worked at a gas station.

Let’s say you start with $50 in your drawer and a $75 dollar limit.

Three customers come in. On pre-pays for $25 in gas. On buys $8 worth of snacks, the other buy s a soda and a couple of porno mags for $10. You drop $40. 5 minutes later, another $25 pre-pay. As they check out, three more people come in, one with $20 in gas, another with $20 in gas and another on $20 worth of booze. Then you get robbed.

This can all happen in the span of 3 or 4 minutes. The cashier would have just done a cash drop and waiting for a spare moment to do another drop…but then gets robbed for $138.

Keeping a drawer at $75 would basically require dropped *after every single customer*. No way in hell any of you would ever do that, including the store manager behind the counter.

25. Sian says:

“He said the store had been unusually that night.”

He accidentally the till.

26. Crymansqua says:

First off, in my teens I worked at three Cumberland farms locations. Every one of them was robbed at some point, and each one resulted in the cashier being fired because he/she had too much money in the register.

All these people saying you “don’t have time with all the customers in line” and who ever commented that you’re “making the customer wait” while you make a drop is utter nonsense. You are setup with a bunch of envelopes and a clip board. Take money out, put in envelope, drop in safe DIRECTLY next to you (there are usually 2 registers in a Cumbys, with the safe under the counter in between), scribble down amount on clip board. It’s a process that takes all of 10 seconds.

Claiming that $75 is too low is also a moot point. At the locations I worked, the maximum was $50. Unless someone paid with a $100, it was -never- a problem. If someone DID pay with a $100, then you could take the next person so you do have the change or have the manager open the safe and make change for you.

Cashier got what he deserved. Money should have been dropped the moment the till went over the limit.

27. Crymansqua says:

Also, from the linked article, “Of course there are going to be times when there is going to be more than $75,” he said. “I didn’t think I’d be fired for being a little over.”

Too bad he didn’t think. Cumby’s also has a policy where if your register is $3 over or lass than what it should be at the end of your shift, than you’re fired.

These policies are not secret and they emphasize it a LOT during training (the stores I worked in had a bajillion signs reminding us to make drops, in addition to the register telling you that there is too much money in the register).

28. kella says:

Time for some malicious compliance, employees of that company should start constantly moving cash from the drawer to the safe. After every customer, if possible.

29. bkdlays says:

Ah right in my home area… This is a busy store right off a major highway.. $75 could be one filup at one pump ….especially since they have the cheapest gas in the area usually.

Cumberland Farms are corporate run overpriced lousy stores.. which are everywhere around here. Based out of Boston I believe… they have a lot of stores..

30. colione112 says:

Every company i’ve worked for that involves cash registers alerts you when you pass a preset amount and have to take money out. If you don’t remove money and it gets to a higher amount, the registers actually lock up and won’t let you take anymore money until you remove some from the drawer and get it into the safe. A popular store around here has an electronic safe that you feed the money (anything over 20.00) into as you take it. It keeps the money out of the drawer and verifies it’s real. Cumberland Farms needs to invest in this system…

I still put the blame on the OP. This is normal cash handling policy for most stores and is used to prevent robberies and prevent someone from telling their friend to come in and “rob” him.

31. djdanska says:

Normal in retail to limit how much is in your drawer. ALL jobs i had working with registers makes you sign paperworks telling you to ONLY have so much in your drawer and if your over, you will get fired. No job i worked at with a cash register did not have this policy. Cashier got himself fired, granted its kinda extreme, but there is a method to the companies maddness.

32. justhypatia says:

How wrong is it that I read this and thought, “Wow, these crooks need to expand their store repertoire.”

I’ve worked in department stores and grocery stores and “drops” basically didn’t happen until $500, if there was time. A busy Saturday? You could walk away with thousands, easy. Of course the logistics would require a little more mental involvement.

33. soj4life says:

First off, cumberland farms is still around? Second, he violated company policy that is in place to keep him safe. I worked at a bank, we had the same kind of restrictions with how much money we could have in our drawers at any one time.

34. mrearly2 says:

“…be right with you, sir. Just gotta drop this $20 bill into the safe.”

A few minutes later:
    “…be right with you, ma’am. Just gotta drop this $10 bill into the safe.”

35. Nehmo says:

I’m the guy who robbed the store, and I’m pissed. I only got $69, and now these liars are claiming I got $200. That’s a significant discrepancy, and I suspect these thieves pocketed the difference!

36. SiddhimaAmythaon says:

75 your joking right. If when i worked retail we had $50 in change in a fresh resister you you did a drop when you got a few 100.