Library Sends Police After 5-Year-Old Girl To Tell Her To Pay Up Or Return Two Overdue Books

Either the police in a Massachusetts town must not have very much to do or the library wields extraordinary power: A mom says the local library sent a cop to her doorstep to tell her 5-year-old daughter she either had to return her overdue books or pay the fines.

The little girl was so upset and afraid by the sight of a police sergeant on the doorstep informing her mom, Shannon, that her two books were several months overdue, she burst into tears, says CBS Boston.

“I thought it was way overboard,” says Shannon. “I closed my door, I looked at my daughter and she started crying.”

Her daughter Hailey asked if she was going to get arrested, telling the news station, “I was scared.”

So they found the books and returned them, but Shannon thinks the library’s use of the police force was excessive.

Even the cops felt funny about it!

“Nobody wanted to, on this end to get involved in it,” says Sgt. Dowd. “But the library contacted us, and the chief delegated, and apparently I was one of the low men on the totem pole.”

It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it…?

Charlton Library Sends Police To Collect Overdue Books From 5-Year-Old [CBS Boston]

Comments

1. Admiral_John says:

Why did the daughter have to be involved? There was no reason the mother couldn’t have found the books and quietly given them to the officer.

• crbullseye says:

The daughter got involved because someone wanted to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Adults behaving badly.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

“Why did the daughter have to be involved? “

So the mother could evoke sympathy from the public.

• Solkanar512 says:

Wait, of all the people here you blame the mother? Not the Library or the Police?

Do you guys just get off on blaming the OP or what?

• Bsamm09 says:

Why would you blame the library or the police? I blame (in order):

1) Father
        2) Mother
        3) Rowdy Roddy Piper

• Solkanar512 says:

Because the library sent this situation to the police, and the police actually took it seriously? Why is this so difficult for the commenters here?

• msbask says:

Why don’t you read the whole story: http://www.telegram.com/article/20120104/NEWS/101049937/0/NEWS03 and then tell us if you still agree?

• What‚Äôs your problem, Kazanski? says:

Thanks for the alternate link.

From what I gather, the police officer didn’t even speak or ask to speak with the child. She just happened to be standing there when her mother had a conversation with the officer. This is being sensationalized and overblown. I completely blame the parents. Ignoring a letter is easy, “I never got a letter.” Or you don’t open your mail that may look like junk and you are at the center of a media hoopla because of it.

Consumerist should link a full article and not one that is obviously biased in favor of the family.

• carlogesualdo says:

It doesn’t matter. We want people to USE the library. A sensationalized story about how the police are sent to collect on overdue books is not going to improve circulation statistics.

• Harry Manback says:

But they had valuable stuff that was 2 years overdue! Are we supposed to just let people take whatever they want from the library and return it only if they feel like it? What else, in this situation, could the library have done to get the stuff returned?

• pk says:

I absolutely blame the parents. Daughter would not have been traumatized had the parents not been lazy f*cks and returned their library books so that other people could enjoy them. Read the full article, Consumerist really sensationalized this one.

• Charmander says:

Yes. I don’t know why the Consumerist is twisting this story around to make it seem like police routinely go after 5-year olds for overdue books.

• Charmander says:

Jeez people, read the story. The real reason the police showed up was because the father had a $100 audiobook over due since 2009. They apparently tried everything to get the guy to return it, and as a last resort, got the police involved. The girl also had 2 books overdue from 2010.

Maybe traumatizing the little girl was unfortunate, but something had to wake up these deadbeat parents.

2. crbullseye says:

A little overkill. Just return the books and this stuff wouldn’t happen and on the other hand the city of Charlton library need a better system to notify of overdue books.

• StarKillerX says:

Come on, think for yourself a little. Which is more likely, that the first response to an overdue book was to send the police to the house or that they were only called after numerous calls and/or letters recieved no response?

• missy070203 says:

I saw an article about this on the Huffington Post this morning and it claimed the cop didn’t even want to make the visit but was forced to – stating he was the low man on the totem pole and had no choice as the library kept pushing the issue…it’s all pretty over the line- sounds more like a small claims issue than police issue….

• delicatedisarray says:

Except that public libraries are state agencies and not returning books is theft of state property. I’m sure the library sent multiple overdue notices, the last one would have to have stated the next step would be to contact the police. If they didn’t then they need to be corrected on that and I agree it was over the line. If the woman was informed in a statement that the police would be involved then there was no foul.

Books are expensive and multiple states have cut funding to their library programs. This is the legal route that the library has full rights to pursue.

• Difdi says:

The woman lied to the media about why the police showed up. It was never about her daughter, it was about her husband. The man had $100+ of overdue materials, and had already either not received (if he had moved, it was his responsibility to update things like library cards and driver’s licenses) or had ignored. The police showed up as a last resort to his not returning the audio book set he had checked out. Note that not returning library materials is indeed a misdemeanor in Massachusetts.

If the man had had three such audio books instead of one, it would have been a felony instead.

• perruptor says:

There is no City of Charlton. It’s a small town, and the cops probably really didn’t have anything else to do.

3. Darrone says:

What, no tazer? Cops these days are SO lazy.

• DragonThermo says:

I know, right? Surely, if overdue library books require a police response, then surely Tazering the little girl over overdue books is reasonable, right?

• LadySiren is murdering her kids with HFCS and processed cheese says:

I do believe your sarcasm and humor meters need recalibrating, sir.

4. Kitteridge says:

And no one in the police department could have picked up a phone to call mom first?

• MaxH42 thinks RecordStoreToughGuy got a raw deal says:

Or told whomever from the library called the police “Go @#*()& tell them yourself, it’s a civil matter”, which is what the police usually tell private citizens who have a dispute over the ownership of property or collection of debts. (As they should.)

• delicatedisarray says:

Not returning state funded libraries their books is considered theft of state property. Involving the police is the appropriate way of handling the situation.

• Billy C says:

By that logic, I’m a government employee because my social assistance checks make me “state funded”. Goody, I’ve got some “assaulting a government official” charges to hand out! If you work for Company X, does your car/house/whatever belong to Company X because they funded your ability to acquire those things?

5. keith4298 says:

NY thought it was so important to have kids WANT to go to the library, they gave a period of amnesty to bring back their books – clearly the people of Massachusetts feel that a little extra education isn’t as necessary. What Massholes!

• tinmanx says:

I’m from NY, and the libraries here are run by humans. The one time my little sister (she was probably around 10 or 11 at the time) lost one of her books, I went with her to the library and had her tell the librarian that she lost the book. I was prepared to pay for it, but the librarian saw my sister crying and feeling bad about losing the book, she just told us to not worry about it and took it off her account. I think teaching kids is more important than punishing kids. My sister continued to happily go to the library after the incident.

• MPD01605 says:

This was probably back in the days when libraries weren’t scraping to get by. They’re trying to close one in our end of the county because of funding.
        Sad stuff.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I imagine the library would be less sympathetic if your parents went several years without paying fines and continued to ignore phone calls and letters.

• Yacko says:

You kidding? This incident gave her the best life lesson of all.

• perruptor says:

Gee, thanks. One small town sends their underworked cops out to remind some people about overdue books, and some guy from NY decides that makes everyone in the state “massholes.” For your information, the state does not set library policies, and I bet they don’t in NY, either. In fact, many communities in MA do not collect fines on overdue books.

• Charmander says:

How much amnesty is reasonable to you? The dad had an audiobook that was due since 2009, and the girl had two books due in 2010.

6. Thyme for an edit button says:

I’m confused. Did the cop talk to the little girl or the mom (and the girl overheard)?

7. Cat says:

I want tell you about the town of Charlton, Massachusetts,
    where this happened here, they got three stop signs, two police officers,
    and one police car, but when we got to the”Scene of the Crime”
    there was five police officers and three police cars,
    being the biggest crime of the last fifty years, and everybody wanted to
    get in the newspaper story about it. And they was using up all kinds of
    cop equipment that they had hanging around the police officer’s station.
    They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and
    they took twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles
    and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
    one was to be used as evidence against us. Took pictures of the approach,
    the getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner and that’s not to
    mention the aerial photography.

• fenra says:

I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL.

• Chasing Headless Chickens says:

Man, I’m hungry. I hear Alice makes a mean pot pie.

• Chasing Headless Chickens says:

Man, I’m hungry. I hear Alice makes a mean pot pie.

• Mr. Fix-It says: "Canadian Bacon is best bacon!" says:

Now uh… Group W’s where they put you if you may not be moral enough to join the army after committing your special crime, and there was all kinds of mean nasty ugly looking people on the bench there. Mother rapers. Father stabbers. Father rapers! Father rapers sitting right there on the bench next to me! And they was mean and nasty and ugly and horrible crime-type guys sitting on the
      bench next to me. And the meanest, ugliest, nastiest one, the meanest father raper of them all, was coming over to me and he was mean ‘n’ ugly ‘n’ nasty ‘n’ horrible and all kind of things and he sat down next to me and said, “Kid, whad’ya get?” I said, “I didn’t get nothing, I had to pay $50 and pick up the bring back them books…”

• framitz says:

Arlo you are definitely not, wrong cadence.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

I’d be more impressed if the took a 3d scan of the scene. Photos are nothing new. I have 8-9 big glossy photos of a car accident in the 50′s that were taken at night, which required a huge flash set up. As for aerial photos, most towns have aerial photos of themselves to correlate to tax maps. Yawn.

8. Tegan says:

“The” instead of “she” may be a small mistake, but the complete lack of proofreading is really starting to get on my nerves.

9. pop top says:

To be fair, did the cops even know that the person in question was a five-year old? The books could’ve been checked out under the mother’s account, but of course even though she held the books for several months, the cops are the bad guys here because the books were for her child! I hate to blame the OP, but that’s no way to teach responsibility to your kid.

• PhelpsG says:

I think we can safely assume the books were checked out by the mother, since 5-year-olds don’t generally have library cards in their own name. And there was also an expensive audiobook that the father had checked out and which was 2 years overdue.

• pop top says:

I can see that now in your post, thanks.

• selianth says:

The Central MA library system (of which Charleton is a member) issues library cards to all ages. (At least my local library does, and most have the same policies.) A parent has to sign the application but there’s nothing to say the 5-year old wouldn’t have her own card to check books out on.

10. Marlin says:

Could be we are not getting the full story.

I know in past cases where cops were brought in on things like this letters were sent out, time given, and tyhe person was known to be over due many times before.

of course it could just be the Library has something on the top cop. ;)

11. PhelpsG says:

The full story on this can be seen at

This family had over $100 in books overdue, some for almost two years, and had received numerous mailings about it. The police officer knocked on the door and politely asked what was up. Apparenlty this mom seems to think that she’s immune from any consequences for treating library books as if she owned them, just because there’s a 5-year-old in the house. I shudder for the example she is setting her kid!

• sirwired says:

This. You don’t return the books and don’t pay for them, that’s theft, as sure as if you shoplifted them out of a book store.

• dolemite says:

That’s my opinion too. Libraries have DVDs, magazines, books, etc. They do not become your personal property just because you checked them out. 2 years? Maybe someone else needed those materials for a report or something.

• Tegan says:

Thanks for the link, the presentation on Consumerist leaves out some key facts.

• BennieHannah says:

Thanks. That does clear things up. Whenever I read these briefs that appear “ridiculous” I often search for the whole story before I jump on my high horse — which I admittedly keep saddled in my stable ready to ride because that’s fun. What’s even more fun, however, is reading the real story while sitting sedately on my pony/office chair and feeling at peace with the world.

• ColoradoShark says:

Party Pooper. Ruining a good story by getting all the facts!

• katieintheburg says:

I like how the original article says it like this …sent a police officer to a home where a 5-year-old lives to collect past-due books…” and Consumerist translates that to “Library Sends Police After 5-Year-Old Girl To Tell Her To Pay Up Or Return Two Overdue Books”. The library wanted the father’s $100 audio book returned after almost 3 years. The little girl’s books were worth about $30 and ONLY a 15 months over due. Plus, the police officers just asked the mom to contact the library about the over due book. WAY to dramtic Consumerist.

• larrymac thinks testing should have occurred says:

FWIW, that’s the same slant my local morning news put on the story.

12. FreeMarketFan says:

I’d say something about this being a life lesson and all but it’s a 5 yr old kid and my soul isn’t even that dark.

13. raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

This is ridiculous. How did a 5-year-old get a library card? Wouldn’t such a thing be in her mother’s name? If her mother signed the kid up for her own card, wouldn’t she have put her own contact information, so she could be reached when books are overdue? Obviously the forms included the child’s place of residence, so there were plenty of channels of communication.

The kid didn’t just go to the library by herself and get the books, and nobody should expect a child to remember things like due dates.

I won’t deny that it was completely excessive to involve the police, but this entire situation was a complete failure on the part of the library and the parents. Mostly the parents. Libraries CALL and EMAIL and SEND LETTERS when books are overdue. And the library at least had their address, or they couldn’t have sent the police to the kid’s house.

That poor kid might never go to a library again after this.

• raydee wandered off on a tangent and got lost says:

Oh Consumerist, why do you GROSSLY exaggerate?

The library went after the parents. The kid just happened to be in the house during the police visit, and got upset, and her mom used that as an excuse to draw media attention.

• wrjohnston91283 says:

To be fair to the consumerist, the linked CSB Boston article doesn’t have the full story either.

• GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

It’s a shame that there’s not some series of interconnected computers or something that catalogs what is on said series of interconnected computers that can be searched. Even better would be a way to “edit” what one writes on this InterSeries of computers. We can dream.

• Rachacha says:

Other have posted about the sensationalism that occurred with this story, but both of my kids (and I seem to recall I, some 30+ years ago) took a field trip to the local public library in Kindergarten or First Grade), and at that time, they were given a library card (I seem to recall I as the parent had to authorize that a card be issued to my child). The child card was tied to my card, and ultimately I was responsible for any books they checked out, but it is not uncommon for young children to have a library card. Giving kids a library card encourages them to bug their parents to take them to the library so they can use THEIR card.

14. Kaleey says:

Wow… just wow. The library has a phone (to call the cops), but they can’t call the house? Or send a nice form letter?

How much was this fine that a police officer (even a low ranking officer) was paid half an hour to go to this kid’s house and then stand through the awkwardness of that discussion?

And no one at the library thought this might backfire, even a little?

(Note from RTFA: The library considered summoning the violator to court, but thought this was a better solution. The family denies ever receiving any notices.)

• Marlin says:
    • Kaleey says:

OK, so the Worcester Telegram and Gazette story has some more detail. And it sounds more like the little kid was under the impression that they were after her, when in fact the library was more interested in her dad (who had over $100 in overdue fines). The visit to the house was primarily because of HIS fine.

But why wouldn’t the police officer ask for the father? Or did the kid just not hear part of that conversation?

Mom is blowing this out of proportion – the child was confused, but the police were not after the child.

• pop top says:

Or maybe the child wasn’t involved at all and the mother wanted to turn this into some sort of news story?

• El_Fez says:

They did send reminds and notices about the books, which were ignored (allegedly – they claim they “never got them”).

15. BumpinUgglas says:

The story’s already been clarified in that the girl’s father had an audiobook out since 2009, which was what triggered the visit.

16. Mknzybsofh says:

Yeah… Talk about a waste of time and money. The mother said that they never got any notifications, what does the library say about that? If the library did not mail any notifications out then they should pay for the police departments time and gas for having to field this ‘call’. I understand that library’s are losing money, but this is taking things a little to far.

17. deathbecomesme says:

They should have sent Robocop.

18. dulcinea47 says:

Far be it from y’all to read the actual article- but the library did send letters and/ or emails about the overdue books, and then a bill for the items after they’d been overdue for a month. Even if they family didn’t get them, it’s their responsiblity to know when the books are due. The library didn’t just up and send the cops. And they didn’t send them after the little girl, they sent them to households who had over $100 in fines. Keeping those materials is essentially theft.

Having police collect overdue library materials might be pretty ridiculous, but the “mother” in this story is using her child to make the library/town/cops look bad for trying to get their materials back, which is pretty manipulative.

• Kaleey says:

Pardon us, but the original linked article included NOTHING about the reason behind the police enforement (> $100.00 in fines) or the fact that the FATHER was the party in question, and that the family denies having received any other notices (which is probably a lie).

Some of us RTFA and then comment. This time, the FA didn’t include all the facts.

• doctordan says:

but why would you immediately jump to the defense of the mom without all the facts? Reading the consumerist blurb a rational person would likely think there was a fact or two missing and should reserve judgment until more info came out. Let’s be honest here, the Consumerist for years has not consistently done a good job of presenting objective facts on stories (i.e. they slammed a few websites privacy policies when the identical verbage is in theirs)

19. GMFish says:

In Texas they would have tased her, shot her dog, and arrested her mom.

20. clippy2.0 says:

Know what I like about Charlton? They have not one, but 3 strip clubs!

21. PunditGuy says:

Compare the description above (“A mom says the local library sent a cop to her doorstep to tell her 5-year-old daughter she either had to return her overdue books or pay the fines.”) to this from the linked story:

“Shannon Benoit said she was home with her youngest daughter, Hailey, on Dec. 27 when a ‚Äúvery respectful and professional‚Äù police Sgt. Daniel P. Dowd knocked and asked her to contact the library regarding overdue books.”

22. nicoleintrovert says:

That damn Matilda! Mr. Wormwood told her that book reading was bad.

23. Doubting thomas says:

Here is a thought. Return the book when they are due, and don’t just steal them from the responsible, non lazy members of your community. This whole family is pathetic. There is a special and very dark corner of hell reserved for people who abuse library privileges.

24. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

To be fair, 5-year-olds cry and a hell of a lot of things. And then suddenly stop.

• Wasp is like Requiem for a Dream without the cheery bits says:

Srsly. Freaking five year olds, what the heck man, crying at shit like they are kids or something. Suck it up SUZIE sometimes the policeman ISNT YOUR FRIEND. Life’s cold kid, wear a jacket.

• dolemite says:

Reminds me of my nephew. We were roughhousing and he fell down and hit his head. I just ignored it, and he paused for a second, but was apparently ready to keep going, but then everyone else in the room chimed in with “are you ok? did it hurt? oh my!” then he ran over to his dad and started to cry.

25. dicobalt says:

LOL this reminds me of the Seinfeld library cop episode

• Applekid ‚îÄ‚îÄ‚î¨ Ôªø„Éé( „Çú-„Çú„Éé) says:

And it reminded me of Ms Blaub from Married with Children

Hey, man, don’t Bundy that book!

• prezuiwf says:

Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we’re too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers? Doesn’t HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you’d better think again.

26. CubeRat says:

Hay, it worked, the library got the books back. And, I’m sure this little girl will never forget to return a library book again.

This is a parent fail, and this stupid woman is publicizing how stupid she is. I’m sure this is not the first attempt by the library to contact the family.

I love Sgt Dowd’s comment about low man on the totem pole. LOL

27. thomwithanh says:

Well it IS technically theft….

I remember reading about 5-6 years ago about a woman who was arrested for not returning library VHS tapes… although she had hundreds of tapes from a dozen or so libraries, most of which were borrowed with fraudulently obtained library cards.

• thomwithanh says:

and I think the cops eventually proved that she borrowed the tapes with no intention of ever returning them.

28. Extended-Warranty says:

I remember the days of when parents taught you good behaviors, like manners, not talking to strangers, those kinds of things.

Now it’s all about stealing to your advantage and then villianizing someone else.

29. MichaelRyanSD says:

Haha this is awesome, I hope the cop said something to the effect of “Return the books….citizen” and “you must comply….citizen”

30. tundey says:

So can I sic the police on my neighbor that owes me $100?

31. homehome says:

So only half the story was told of course. So they had a book that was $100 and almost 3 years past due. Received letters nadf notices and still didn’t return it. OP fail and honestly a fail by Mary Beth for not researching the whole story making the library and the cops to look llike bad guys. And even if they didn’t get the warning, you’ve had the thing for 3 years, you didn’t think you had to return it?

32. HalOfBorg says:

Ever read “The Library Policeman” by Stephen King?

33. HighontheHill says:

The contact at the library who initiated this buffoonery should be bitch-slapped-silly; then fired.

It is incumbent on the parents to ensure the timely return of the book and payment of any associated late-fees; should they fail to do so the library has (presumably) strategies for dealing with scofflaws. At no point, imho, should the police be involved in such matters.

• BumpinUgglas says:

The “strategies” are repeated letters, emails, phone calls and sending bills to the scofflaw. All of which the library did. Next step would involve a court action, in which case a policeman would be required to serve the summons, so the strategies you speak of inherently involve the cops.

What would you have the library do? Eventually shit has to hit the fan or else there’s nothing stopping you from renting the entire DVD collection and keeping it for yourself.

• spf1971 says:

dts wh mk stpd cmmnts shld b btch slppd nd thn bnnd frm “Th Cnsmrst”

34. gypsyblue says:

That’s so incredibly sad… I know if I were that little girl, I would be terrified of going to the library again. What a shame.

35. framitz says:

So, the library has no phone they could have used instead of traumatizing the child?

• msbask says:

Why assume that they didn’t call?

You really need to read the other article that someone linked on the first page. They called, they wrote, they tried everything. Next step was court, so they had the police try first. What would you have them do?

36. SamiJ says:

OPs fault. After keeping the books for six months & ignoring the multipe overdue letters, the library assumed that the borrower was keeping the books.

37. El_Fez says:

*shrug*

While sending the cops is a bit overkill, I dont have a lot of sympathy here. Have some responability and return your damn library books so we can ALL enjoy them, you selfish people.

38. Miss Malevolent says:

Given I work in a library, I say good for the library.

I can’t tell you how many people rack up hundreds of dollars of fines and or books they decide they want to keep and just expect us to forgive it. As though the library system didn’t pay money for them and they just fall out of the sky.

Her parents should be horsewhipped for setting such a bad example of behavior for their daughter.

39. J.A.Reader says:

Too bad that there is no way to correct this kind of situation without cops or a civil lawsuit.

40. ray4jc says:

read the article consumerist should be called spin doctor

41. atomix says:

We checked out 2 books from our local library – Then moved and lost them for a month in the packing. When we found and returned them, we had a $70 fine because we had to “pay the cost of the books” on top of the late-fees. If I would have known that I was paying for them, I would have kept the books.
    Libraries are turning in to jerks.

42. MECmouse says:

This reminds me, kinda sorta but not really, of the Seinfeld episode with the late library book and “Bookman” the library cop! Can’t fault the officer for doing his job, but could they have not sent him over in plain clothes for THIS? It’s not like they thought she knocked over a bank!

43. Awesome McAwesomeness says:

This article makes it sound like 5-year-olds can have their own library card, and like the cops specifically sought out the child. If you RTFA, it clearly says that the police were sent to talk to the mom. The child just happened to be there and overhear it. It scared her.

They didn’t seek out the little girl, or harass her, or anything else.

And, the mom had property that did not belong to her and would not return it. The books were several months overdue. If they let every person with way overdue books just keep them, then they would lose an incredible number of books. They need to recover them somehow.

44. Carlee says:

Geez, way to play victim! I wonder – did the family not return to the library since Oct 2010? Because when you have an overdue book, the library staff tend to remind you when you go to check out. The mom makes it sound like they had no idea they had items checked out – are we to assume that a) they haven’t been back to the library for over a year, b) the library staff didn’t point out their overdue items or c) patrons in that library system can’t check what items are checked out on their cards?

We always check our accounts to make sure books get checked in. Back in the day, we had to ask the library staff to check the accounts but nowadays, we can check online (or on the library computers). There’s been times where we return books but they get reshelved by the staff without being checked in. So we go and check the bookshelf and there it is.

45. human_shield says:

Oh please. 5 year olds cry about everything. She’ll survive.

46. Claybird says:

An ex-girlfriend of mine had about $1000 in overdue fees…