Starbucks Hikes Prices By About 1 Percent In Certain Parts Of U.S.

If you live in the Northeast or the Sunbelt, expect to be doling out just a little bit more for your Starbucks double-shot-no-whip-extra-foam-vanilla latte, as the company is raising prices in those areas by about 1 percent.

It won’t just be caffeine junkies in New York, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Dallas and Albuquerque feeling the uptick, as Chipotle Mexican Grill, McDonald’s and other operators are compensating for high prices of coffee, milk and fuel, reports the New York Post.

Starbucks already raised prices on certain drinks in California and Florida last year, so those locations will not be affected by this most recent hike.

Since everyone is already seemingly used to paying too much for drinks at Starbucks, the theory posited by the article goes, the company likely won’t be met with too much of an uproar. To keep as many customers happy as possible at one time, they usually institute market-by-market price increases instead of instituting changes across the board.

Starbucks raising prices [New York Post]

Comments

1. Cat says:

An extra 1% Mocha Fru-Fru Latte for the 1%! How can they create jobs with this sort of shenanigans going on?

Most of the working class have sworn off Starbucks, because we just can’t afford it.

• Robofish says:

It’s way to expensive. I’m fine drinking my coffee at home, or from DD when I need my fix if we’re out and about. Besides DD is tastier and cheaper

• MutantMonkey says:

DD is good. Caribou Coffee is probably my favorite coffee joint though.

• crispyduck13 says:

Oh man I miss Caribou…their baked goods were outstanding too. Hubs would call it Moose Coffee.

• Robofish says:

Oh man I loooooooooooooove Caribou. Sucks they are also a bit pricey. Dangerous too cause one is right near my office.

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

Just Coffee’s Revolution Roast is just about the tastiest coffee I have ever had. Also, the Just Coffee organization is a great one to support, given their policies on transparency.

• Bsamm09 says:

I looked at their website. With so much about transparency, their financial statements are pretty lacking. Why not any audited/reviewed F/S or even a tax return?

• Dr. Ned - This underwear is Sofa King Comfortable! says:

You could probably ask them. I’m not in charge of their financials, so probably not the best person to ask.

• crispyduck13 says:

Yeah bucks used to be a weekly or even more frequent thing, now it’s a rare thing maybe twice a month. I always think about what else we could have spent the $10 (2 damn drinks) on.

• thomwithanh says:

I registered my Starbucks card and now get free refills on brewed coffee. I’ve paid 1.62 for a tall, pulled out my laptop and stayed 6hrs + just getting refills from my card. Can anybody say 2nd office?

2. Phil Keeps It Real [Consumerist] says:

I really can’t stand the flavor of over priced, burnt coffee in my mouth. ! . I would splurge on Starfux, if they actually made a decent cup of Blue Mountain or something else that is worthy.

• Esmeralda the Calipygian says:

Exactly! They’ve somehow managed to convince the world that they make great coffee, but it’s really pretty sad stuff. If they offered it for 99 cents per cup, I still wouldn’t buy that charred, nasty swill.

• denros says:

I would HATE if starbucks started buying good beans. There’s simply not enough AAA coffee in the world to meet that kind of demand… and if there were, those of us who actually take the time to get the most out of it would lose out.

3. Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Got a quality espresso machine for home last month, and already have paid for it by half.

4. whiterussian says:

I pay $1.65 after tax for a tall brewed coffee. Then I get free refills with my rewards card. It is not that expensive if you order regular coffee instead of espresso drinks. Their espresso drinks are mostly milk and sugar anyway.

• denros says:

Doppio espresso macchiato (the only *real* espresso drink at starbucks, the rest are really just flavored milk / desert drinks) are $2, though most baristas screw them up regularly.

• Cerne says:

Lattes and cappuccinos are no longer real espresso drinks in your world?

• denros says:

Starbucks uses 2-3x the amount of milk you’d normally be getting in most drinks (don’t even get me started on the “caramel macchiato”). The reason they do this is because their espresso is over-extracted (hence, bitter) from beans that are roasted too dark. They’ve actually improved it quite a bit recently (it’s still just ‘ok’ by most objective espresso standards) with the training and equipment initiatives, but this is ‘merica and apparently we like our coffee drinks like our waistlines (GINORMOUS) so the standard formula remains. TL;DR: they mask the taste of their narsty ‘spresso with vulgar amounts of milk.

• Cerne says:

Ok I’ll give you that one. The rare times I get Starbucks I get extra shots because I actually want to taste some coffee. I hate living in the suburbs now where there is no good coffee chops

5. Jawaka says:

I wish that my cable bill was only going to increase by 1%

Anyone else just get a letter from Comcast announcing rate increases again?

• Robofish says:

UGH. Where are you, we haven’t gotten one…. yet ( MD here )

and I’m hoping they don’t send us one

• Cat says:

If my heath care could increase by “only 1%”…

I quit cable. I can’t quit health care.

• crispyduck13 says:

Amen to that. We got this nifty 2% “cost of living” raise for Christmas…only to find out our insurance contributions are going up. My raise will just about cover the increase, so much for food, gas, etc.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

I think most people would be happy with “only 10%” increase in health insurance premiums.

• NeverLetMeDown says:

Comcast wishes they were keeping those $. Comcast’s bill to the content companies (Disney, Time Warner, etc.) went up about 9% per customer last year.

6. Jane_Gage says:

I got a machine inspired by reading the consumerist article about staff scraping shit off of bathroom walls and returning to the coffee machines afterwards. Going to save $50 per month too.

7. Cat_In_A_Hat says:

Challenge the 1%. Occupy Starbucks!

8. Dallas_shopper says:

This Dallasite won’t notice because this Dallasite makes their own coffee…at home! ;-)

9. ajlei says:

Lattes don’t typically come with whipped cream. Just sayin’.

-Former Seattle’s Best barista

10. u1itn0w2day says:

Who cares, I don’t drink it I don’t like it and they price themselves out of customers already over paying who cares.

11. sponica says:

Unless I’m horribly bad at math….wouldn’t something that costs 5 dollars and change now cost about 5 cents more?

I don’t see a 1% price hike to be something to get all uppity about….

• HomerSimpson says:

I kind of doubt those things will be going up “only 1%”

• gerald.saul says:

The typical increase was $0.10 per drink. I think one drink went up $0.15 (Tall brewed coffee) and another went up $0.20 (Venti Americano).

Disclaimer: I’m a supervisor in Dallas.

• menty666 says:

It’s actually slightly more because in many places you’re taxed on that amount too. So you’re paying more per drink, and more on the taxes levied against it.

12. Sarek says:

I’ve never bought coffee in a Starbucks in my life. Raise the prices all you want!

13. u1itn0w2day says:

I heard a report this morning and the reporter said since bux already has a higher income customer & they feel it shouldn’t affect them. So when the low end of the bux demographic can’t afford them those customers will be replaced by…wait for it…more outrageously high prices.

Will the Barristas get higher tips?

14. arualflower says:

Oh no, my four dollar coffee will go up 4 cents. Deal breaker right there.

15. kataisa says:

Praise be to my wonderful family for getting me a Keurig coffee machine for Christmas. No more overpriced Starbucks yaahooo!

• blueman says:

Wait ’til you see how much you’re spending on those little Keurig cups. I know quite a few people that mothballed those things.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Still a LOT cheaper than SB.

• yurei avalon says:

I know right? My boyfriend only ever uses the Keurig machine despite owning a drip coffee maker and an espresso maker as well. I will admit that having “instant” hot water for tea/coca/oatmeal/couscous is nice but, I still buy swiss miss packets and old fashioned tea bags for me.

No brand of K cup that I’ve tried makes a k cup tea that isn’t horribly watered down and weak and his machine refuses to make coca cups properly… it always clogs on the powder and back flows which results in me tearing the top off of the cup and dumping it into the cup just like a swiss miss packet. So why spend 60-80 cents a cup then on a fancy k cup version? :/

Still a lot cheaper than Starbucks or Dunkin though. The macchiato he likes at Starbucks is like $6.

• Fubish says: I don't know anything about it, but it seems to me... says:

Try the Italian Roast K-Cup. Outstanding and better than SB!

• energynotsaved says:

While I have the refill stuff, I order the replacements on line. Shipping is free and the cost of the coffee drops to half. I love that machine.

16. Joey Zazza says:

A vanilla latte comes without whip anyways usually so you wouldn’t need to say no-whip when ordering it

17. Professor59 says:

This is news because…what – the increase is so low?

18. crtrue says:

Always get a refill! The premium on a cup of coffee is high (about $2.15 for a venti after tax) but if you throw in the 55 cent refill, you’re looking at a more tolerable $2.70 for two cups / $1.35 a cup.

Of course this relies on the fact that you have to pay for the overpriced cup first, but if you were looking to sit around and mooch coffee all morning, Starbucks is still a relatively cheap place to do that.

My only complaint is trying to find a place that actually runs its dark roasts for more than a few hours a day….I go there too early, it’s “Pike’s”, I go there too late, it’s “Pike’s”. Pike’s is not a good coffee, despite what Starbucks may claim, or at least it’s not my cup of….tea?