Personal Finance Roundup

Hidden costs of dental neglect [MSN Money] “Few people know that good dental care can be the key to good overall health.”

How to Play Your Gift Cards Right [Wall Street Journal] “Here are some tips on how to get the most value from all of your gift cards–even the ones you don’t want.”

25 Small New Year’s Resolutions You Can Start Today [Wise Bread] “This year, make resolutions you can reasonably keep — short-term goals that give you the satisfaction you want right away.”

A Plan for 2012 That You’ll Actually Follow [NY Times] “During the next year, see what happens when you do these three things.”

Tips for Unloading Unwanted Gifts [Daily Finance] “‘Tis the season for unloading those albeit well meaning — but unwanted — holiday presents.”

FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. pop top says:

Re: unloading unwanted gifts- Why isn’t there anything about donating? Sagan forbid that you do anything nice or charitable.

Also your Wise Bread link is incorrect: http://www.wisebread.com/25-small-new-year-s-resolutions-you-can-start-today

2. lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

About the Hidden Costs of Dental Neglect – totally agree with the article. I am extremely fortunate to have both dental insurance and good teeth. Until 2 years ago, I did not have dental insurance of any kind, and I can understand why people don’t go to the dentist and wait until there’s a problem. When you have trouble putting food on the table, or paying rent, coming up with $100 (or more) to have your teeth cleaned can be very challenging, if not impossible.

• frank64 says:

I would like to see more information about the cost of dental care. It is worse than healthcare because insurance is even harder to get. There is the dental discount clubs, and I am not sure if they really are worth it. Worse is how tough it is to get any real info of costs from dentist until after the service.

Usually if you are low income you get health insurance, but no dental. You are screwed. I know people who havent’ been to the dentist in years, a 14 year old who had to have his tooth pulled rather than get a root canal because of the costs.

• frank64 says:

Usually if you are low income you get health insurance, but no dental. You are screwed. I know people who haven’t’ been to the dentist in years, a 14 year old who had to have his tooth pulled rather than get a root canal because of the costs. A show I saw on a really poor area showed most toothless. I think there should be more press on this. I think it is more important than getting my receipt checked at Walmart, or some of the other minor problems we complain about here.

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Most dental insurance is a poor investment unless someone else is subsidizing your premiums. Spending $100 for a cleaning is still way cheaper than paying $600 a year for insurance and having a $5 copay for a cleaning.

• frank64 says:

But what if the insurance cost $350, you get a free cleaning and check up, 50% off cavities and 20% off crowns. You think you might need a crown or two but you don’t know. Same with cavities. Some places might give you 20% off anyway without insurance, but you don’t know. You ask they get offended, it is uncouth to ask about cost of care, they are professionals, you must be low class or something. This to me is the real world.

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

I am lucky to have employer subsidized dental insurance, so the premiums cost me less per year than two cleanings and a set of X rays. It then covers percentages of dental procedures, like fillings, crowns, root canals, etc. I haven’t had so much as a filling for over 30 years, but I thought I’d get the insurance in case something bad happened and I wouldn’t get socked with a huge bill all at once.

3. threeoutside says:

Getting a 404 on the “25 things” article link…