Pepsi: Mountain Dew Can Dissolve A Mouse

Back in 2009, a man sued PepsiCo, saying he found a dead mouse in a can of Mountain Dew. Pepsi wanted to prove its innocence by suggesting its high-caffeine drink is so extreme that it would have dissolved the mouse carcass, rendering it a “jelly-like substance.”

According to a story from the Madison Record that people are only really reading now, Pepsi submitted testimony from a scientist who gave that grotesque description in an effort to seek summary judgment.

Not long afterward, Pepsi asked for a change of attorneys in the case.

The man says he bought a mouse-infested Mountain Dew can from an office vending machine, then sent the carcass to Pepsi, which he says destroyed it.

If the public gains anything from this suit and the mouse-dissolving revelation, it’s the new application of Mountain Dew as a pest control substance.

Pepsi Says Mountain Dew Can Dissolve Mouse Carcasses [Madison Record via The Atlantic Wire/Yahoo, Newsvine]

Comments

1. Darrone says:

Holy crap. This explanation the toothless pseudo-nation of Appalachia.

2. Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Anyone else have the urge to watch Strange Brew after reading this?

• theblackdog says:

How’s it going whiplash?

• neilb says:

I understand the McKenzies’ choice of beverage.
      “I believe there will be no charge on this two-four of Dew, thank you.”
      “You want free Dew? Go to the Dewery. Now get out of here before I put the two of you in a can!”

3. ShruggingGalt says:

Oh boy. Did anyone actually read the details?

The can was produced TWO years before the plantiff drank it. The soda is an acid, this makes perfect sense. It just sounds weird. There is another study that shows that a small rodent bones would begin to dissolve in under 2 weeks if put in vinegar.

• tsukiotoshi says:

While I agree that it’s an excellent point for them in the lawsuit context of “see, it couldn’t have happened!”, a jellified mountain dew mouse is not an image pepsi should particularly want associated with their product.

• ShruggingGalt says:

True.

• dangermike says:

I generally agree. Having not seen the evidenciary study, can’t really do anything but speculate but if I were to run such a study, it would have included tests with several major and minor competitors as well as “healthy” alternatives, distilled water, sea water, and perhaps other household chemicals. It would be trivially more expensive to run the tests, and the data produced — while not exactly in harmony with the overall desired brand image — could also show that it’s more due to the nature of death and decomposition than a damningly horrendous side effect of your product.

• QuantumCat says:

Yeah, most (if not all) sodas are fairly acidic–this shouldn’t be surprising given that amount of time.

• Yorick says:

Where are you getting the detail that the soda was produced two years prior to being purchased and consumed?

All I see in the article thru the link is that the suit itself began two years ago.

• Billy C says:

Mountain Dew has a PH value of 3.27, while vinegar is about a 2. So you can’t really compare what Mountain Dew would do to something by going “hey look what this more acidic vinegar is doing!”

4. r-nice says:

Makes you want to run out and grab a can of Dew doesn’t it?

5. Costner says:

Let this be a learning experience for you. If you ever eat a mouse, just chase it with a few cans of Dew and everything will come out ok.

6. dolemite says:

You’ll never make me give up Mt. Dew!

• lovemypets00 - You'll need to forgive me, my social filter has cracked. says:

Me either! I love the diet Code Red, but they’ve discontinued it in my area, so I have to rely on the charity of others who come upon it when traveling. I always have a good stock on hand of the green variety in the cellar.

• BurtReynolds says:

The lesson here is to not buy cans. Buying a clear bottle, you’d see the remaining tissue from the mouse floating inside.

7. Agozyen says:

My stepson complains almost every day that we won’t let him drink Mountain Dew. This will help tremendously! Thank you Consumerist!

8. Coffee Fiend says:

Can’t believe this guy sued. Lawyers are for sucks. Don’t make me laugh, eh?

9. tungstencoil says:

BTW, for the folks who think this is something unique to Mountain Dew, it’s the carbonated water that is acidic. Plain soda water will do the same thing.

“Carbon dioxide and water form carbonic acid (H2CO3),[2] which gives the water a slightly sour taste with a pH between 3 and 4″ : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water (referenced as well)

• Awesome McAwesomeness says:

My husband’s old dentist did a lot of research work on the effects of soda on the teeth years and years ago. She said it will dissolve a tooth in a few weeks. Scary stuff. Almost enough to make me want to stop drinking them (but not quite.)

• Nigerian prince looking for business partner says:

Isn’t it still less acidic than orange or grapefruit juice, as well as spaghetti sauce?

• working class Zer0 says:

The vegetable oil neutralizes the acid:)

• Billy C says:

pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in aqueous solution. Vegetable oil contains no water and therefore does not have a pH value.

Thus, it doesn’t neutralize the acid, it just dilutes it.

• theblackdog says:

Isn’t a study like that usually BS because the tooth is constantly exposed to the soda, whereas the average human does not leave soda swishing around in their mouth all day long?

• Labratt21 says:

It’s definitely an extreme, but it’s also meant to show that soda has the power to damage your teeth. As far as acid strength goes; acid strength is measured by something called pKa. pKa is a disassociation constant that measures the loss of a hydrogen (aka proton) on a compound. For pKa measurements the lower the value, the stronger the acid. Citric acid has a pKa of about 3.5 while phosphoric acid has a pKa of about 2. However, phosphoric acid is a polyprotic acid (has more than 1 acidic hydrogen) and has two additional acidic hydrogens on it that have pKa’s of about 7 and 12. So, moral of the story is that any acidic food can damage your teeth. But this is just another reason that soda is bad for you.

• dolemite says:

That’s one thing I’ve noticed, concerning the “tooth decay” theory of soda. I drink a lot of soda..probably 2-3 a day. However, my dentist says I have excellent teeth. Yet, you have some people that have rotted teeth that are attributed at least partially to soda. The difference? I only drink soda with my meal. So for 15-30 minutes, my teeth are exposed to it, then done. I usually drink water and/or brush teeth, that will bring your month back to normal acidic levels. I’ve seen people at work that buy a 20 oz though, and they sip on it at work their whole shift. That’s keeping their mouth at a high acidic level for 8 hours straight.

• eyesack is the boss of the DEFAMATION ZONE says:

Yep. If you really want to make a tooth disappear, stick in some V8 or orange juice (tomatoes are acidic as hell).

Won’t someone think of the children, etc.

• Labratt21 says:

Many sodas also have phosphoric acid.

10. GJaunts says:

Sounds like the defense attorney did an excellent job and got canned as a result.

• Agozyen says:

Sounds like the defense attorney did an excellent job … *puts on glasses* … and got canned as a result! YYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Fixed it!

11. Bsamm09 says:

makes me think of Innerspace for some reason.

12. Fineous K. Douchenstein says:

We’re all mistaken. The man was really complaining that he got a free music download for deadmau5.

13. cleek says:

also, we should all avoid this stuff called “cranberry juice”, which roughly ten times more acidic than Mountain Dew.

14. GuyGuidoEyesSteveDave‚Ñ¢ says:

Mythbusters did this with meat and Coke(Cola) and found that after 48 hours, the collagen in the meat had begun to break down and the steak was falling apart. Gelatin is made from collagen, found in animal tissue, skin, and bones. So it is not strange to think that is the span of a few months in a sugar and orange juice fueled environment, the breakdown wouldn’t happen quicker than in a container of pure water.

15. Kuri says:

I think this honestly makes an even worse case for the sofa company.

16. janeslogin says:

Have you ever seen what you stomach acid will do to a mouse?

17. NumberSix says:

That doesn’t seem all that surprising. I doubt Mountain Dew’s PH is anywhere near 7.

18. Lyn Torden says:

The White-Out Mountain-Dew is also the best thing I’ve found for soothing the effects of very hot spices in food. The regular old yellow Mountain-Dew is fairly good at it, but the White-Out version seems to be better. I suspect a combination of the carbonation and the brominated vegetable oil (BVO has an effect of creating a suspension effect of ingredients, creating the cloudiness, which probably is working on the oil-based hot spices). Also, being cold seems to work even better, but that’s probably just adding a numbing effect.

• MrEvil says:

White out is the nectar of the effing gods IMO. Best flavor they’ve come out with.

The Veggie oil would definitely take the edge off spicy foods. Though not as well as whole milk or cream would since they have a much higher fat content.

• dangermike says:

Not vegetable oil, Brominated vegetable oil. The bromine moiety allows it to act in a manner similar to a detergent (which is why it is effective as a stabilizer) which can colloidize the capsaicin into water soluble micelles. I’d still take milk. In a whole lot of hand waving involving Le Chatelier’s principle, the larger volume of fatty materials should provide more opportunity to pick up the capsaicin. Plus, Mt Dew is just kind of gross.

19. ReverendTed says:

“This claim that our product is unhygienic is preposterous because our product is flesh-eating.”
    Yes, I imagine you DID get a new attorney, Pepsi.

20. DrRonster says:

Whenever I see a pt with severe decay around the entire tooth at the gumline, my usual question is “Mountain Dew or Pepsi?”. The same ingredient in both is used to etch the teeth for adhesive dentistry. Fillings bond nicely but so does plaque and tartar and their associated decay properties.

21. 8bithero says:

So…jellied mouse is okay?

22. IraAntelope says:

Here is an idea: build a Tug Hill Bucket Mouse Trap, then just pour a few mountain dews in the bucket. No muss, no fuss, no mouse.