Buying Into History: Artifacts From The Titanic To Go Up For Auction

The sinking of the “unsinkable” Titanic continues to captivate Americans, as one of the most famous tragedies in our history. And now devotees of the ship’s story and those who perished on it can bid on a large piece of that history, as more than 5,000 items are going up for sale.

In April, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the ship’s sinking, the items will go up as one large, single lot, says CNNMoney. Premier Exhibitions owns the items, and the impending sale was revealed in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The collection has an appraised value in 2007 of $189 million, says the filing. New items have been added since that time. However, if acceptable bidders don’t come forward by April 1, the sale will be canceled.

The pieces were recovered from the wreck in a series of expeditions to excavate the site on the ocean floor where the ship finally came to rest. Results of the sale will be announced by April 15, the anniversary of the sinking.
Titanic artifacts set to go up for auction [CNNMoney]

Comments

1. scoosdad says:

Only $189? I bid two hundred dollars!

• scoosdad says:

… and can you give me change back from my million dollar bill please?

• Loias supports harsher punishments against corporations says:

Maybe I’m just bitter because I’m one of 3 people that have to come into the office today to work, but with the double-article about the million dollar bill and then yet another editor-error omitting the extra 6 very pertinent zeros today, the (questionable) quality is really ticking me off.

• Muscato says:

What? Sloppy writing and smelly-trash-can tips aren’t your cup of tea? I guess we’re just picky, you and me.

But seriously, what’s happening here in Consumerist-land? It’s starting to feel like Parade magazine written by sloppy typists…

• dwasifar says:

Ha! Well, I bid $200.51! My bid totally pwns yours!

• Tom the Nice Adman says:

$201!

2. Rebecca K-S says:

$189? I’m in!

3. George4478 says:

I wondered when NUMA would sell some of their stuff off.

4. GoldVRod says:

Hello, name is Mary and I Consumerist. Today I will be about the fundamental of missing. Writing a blog for little results in a shoddy.

Thank.

5. Rachacha says:

I see Consumerist is subscribing to Verizon math. $189 =/= $189 MILLION

6. TheMansfieldMauler says:

more than 5,000 items are going up for sale

Clarification: according to the article, the lot is going up for sale, not the items. You can’t bid on an item, you have to bid on the entire lot.

7. HogwartsProfessor says:

Someone should buy these and donate them to the Titanic Museum in Branson. Also there is apparently a cave in the Ozark Mountains full of (formerly) secret storage vaults, one of which contains even MORE artifacts.

I’ve been to the museum. It’s pretty neat except for the loud soundtrack music playing throughout. I hope they’ve turned it down since I’ve been back; it’s kind of distracting.

• delicatedisarray says:

I went December 2010, I don’t remember any music at all. Plus they had a special exhibit on the dogs that were on the ship so there were dogs at the museum!

• gman863 says:

The Titanic Museum in Branson???

Don’t tell me; let me guess: The loud soundtrack music is a Pat Boone cover of My Heart Will Go On.

• inputhike says:

Why is there a Titanic museum in Branson? Wouldn’t such a thing make more sense in a port city where it would have docked? Weird.

8. Gehasst says:

Consumerist needs to hire a proof reader for Mary Beth Quirk fast! Many of her articles have words that are missed, miss-spelled, grammar errors and the like. Beginning to make the Consumerist look like Joe Schmo’s blog.

Clean it up Consumerist! If you need a proof reader, I could use some extra bucks! If not me, I’ve heard there are many looking for jobs…

9. StupidSTUPIDLogin says:

$189…MILLION. $189…..MILLION. Big, big key word missing there (did the US government write this?).

10. Misha says:

The recovery of those artifacts was like robbing a graveyard. Awful.