Verizon Refuses To Admit To Me That The Nationally Reported 4G LTE Outage Happened

Brian is one of the many customers nationwide who was affected by the data outages Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network has suffered recently, including an incident this week. He complained to customer service about the frequent outages, and asked for a $20 credit on his account. Their response? No outages happened whatsoever!

He forwarded his frustrated message to Verizon, detailing where the outages happened — his primary line as well as his hot spot — as well as the exasperating response he received.

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is [redacted]. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with the 4G coverage in your area and will be more than happy to review your wireless account.

After reviewing the outage information, I am not currently showing there was an outage in the Nashville, Tennessee area in the last 72 hours. If you are having issues with your device, please contact us at 800-922-0204 or *611 and [send] airtime free from your wireless phone. This department is available from 6am to 11pm daily.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Brian’s incredulous response is right in line with the fact that Verizon itself admitted to three national outages in under a month.

He replied, including links to news stories reporting the widespread outages, “Seriously? To deny an issue existed is insulting to me as a customer. It was nationwide outage and was covered thoroughly in the national media.”

Perhaps a bit more communication between PR people and customer service reps would be warranted, eh, Verizon?

Previously: Verizon Wireless Sends Me 4 Replacement Phones, I Still Can’t Get A 4G LTE Connection

Comments

1. McRib wants to know if you've been saved by the Holy Clown says:

This is not the outage you are looking for….

2. darascon says:

Problem is, he didn’t pay his $2 convenience fee for the CSR to tell him the truth.

3. Pella says:

I love how they redacted the rep’s name in the email, but then post it in their commentary. *sigh*

Also, nothing surprises me with Verizon anymore.

4. Hi_Hello says:

their outage monitor system was down because of the outage and it didn’t update them that there was an outage.

They weren’t lying, they just don’t know any better.

5. Kaleey says:

“Oh, wait, THAT Nashville? I thought you meant the OTHER Nashville. My bad, man!”

6. PlumeNoir - Thank you? No problem! says:

Somebody get the Baghdad Bob pic up – stat!

7. Zepius says:

i made an account to just post this.

I live in Nashville and I called to get a credit for the outages. The CSR hadnt heard of it, but she went and checked. When she came back, she did admit there was an outage and gave me a credit.

he needs to call back and complain about the ineptitude of the previous CSR and demand a larger credit.

8. longfeltwant says:

So, my question is, is it really impossible for a telecommunications company to treat their customers well and charge prices which seem reasonable? I ask because in the long history of telecommunications — phone, cable, internet — I can’t even think of a single one company loved and respected by its customers. Why not? Other industries have well-loved well-respected companies, and yet there seems to be something about telecommunications which makes it impossible to provide service which customers deem “good”. Why is that?

• Hi_Hello says:

if I was a business… I wouldn’t bother. I figure eventually people will turn against you.

• BrightShopperGettingBrighter says:

My instant thought is unlike other industries, consumers have limited choices in the telecommunications sector. Consumers cannot move our money and our business due to contracts (they were signed up for). Consumers can not fight price increases because they were approved* by regulatory agencies. The regulatory agencies were created to protect the consumer from egregious disregard for the customer and laws of the land, such as monopolies, bait and switch practices and unfair discrimination.

Telecommunications companies play within a sphere of lowest common denominator. Other industries do not.

9. fruvous says:

It wasn’t an outage… it was a “degradation of service”

• Preyfar says:

Verizon claims it wasn’t an “outage” because 3G remained up and running, and thus service was “functional”. Unless you have a device which tries to switch over to 4G automaticall, and shits itself because LTE is down. =P

10. TheMansfieldMauler says:

What I hate about that kind of thing is that even if they acknowledge the outage, they don’t credit your account unless you call. It should be required of telecom companies that if they have an outage, they must credit every customer affected whether the customer calls or not.

• PLATTWORX says:

Yes, there should be a regulation.

That said, I am not shocked they wait for phone calls. I bet 1-2% of affected customers actually call and ask for a credit. If they voluntarily issued credits to all who had trouble… it could costs tens of thousands if not more easily.

11. Preyfar says:

I have a Verizon LTE 4G MiFi/air card that I use at work. Verizon claims that 3G contined to work while 4G had issues. Problem is, for devices that automaticall switch between 3G/4G, every 30-60 seconds my device kept dying as it tried to reconnect to the LTE network.

Verizon also claimed it was “working fine” and suggested I bring my device into a store because it ma have been defective. I only found out about the nationwide errors after I read about it on Gizmodo.

So yeah. Not a fan of Verizon at the moment.

• tbax929 says:

The problem is they all suck. AT &T has had documented issues with outages. Sprint was charging me $10 extra for having a 4G phone, even though there’s no 4G service in my area. Verizon has had a few network issues lately and the bad PR from this $2 fee. I mean, where are you going to go at this point when they ALL suck?

12. FrugalFreak says:

Sounds like my cable comapany passing me off to roadrunner tech failing to mention there are people working in the area. That info passed to CSRs would be helpful but likely costly.

13. DanKelley98 says:

Keep that up, there will be a $2 fee for each phone call…

14. tbax929 says:

I called in this morning and received an account credit. Maybe it was because they had documented that I called in the last two days to ask when the outage was going to end – I don’t know. Maybe their system actually showed the outage in my area…

The OP should definitely keep trying. I refuse to pay for services I can’t use.

15. PLATTWORX says:

“Verizon Wireless recognizes that without you, our loyal customer, there would be no us. I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by reviewing the outages in your area.”

Damn, how I hate e-mails that end like this when you deny the customer’s request. What idiot writes these and thinks they make the customer who has been told no happy.

16. ShruggingGalt says:

Can you he……..

17. Lyn Torden says:

Borrowing from one of their older ad campaigns … “Can you hear me lie now?”

How are we supposed to raise our kids to be honest when they are constantly exposed to corporations like this?

18. runswithscissors says:

They should have taken a cue from the airline industry and claimed the outage was “weather related”. After all, there’s bad weather somewhere, right? No compensation or credits for anyone!

19. scottd34 says:

the web chat and consumer email team are outsourced to a us outsourcer like most customer service is for many companies… why else do you think sometimes you call and get someone who knows what they are talking about and other times you dont…

20. SassySoy says:

Can you seriously request a 20$ credit on your account because of an outage?

21. oldwiz65 says:

Governments routinely deny that much more serious things happened.