How To Upload 3D Videos Taken On A Nintendo 3DS To YouTube

Earlier this year, Nintendo released a 3DS firmware update that allowed the device to record 3D videos. Uploading the videos to YouTube without editing them will end in disappointment, because they won’t look right.

Nerd Mentality checks in with a comprehensive tutorial to help 3DS owners put their videos online and make them look the way they were intended.

The 3DS doesn’t allow you to upload videos directly to YouTube, so you’ll first have to transfer the file to your computer. From there on, the technical details fly over my head, so I’ll quote the tutorial:

So what you need to do is take the video you have now and change it into a 1920×1080 video displayed in side by side 3D with a H.264 AVC video encoding. Again, if you don’t know what this means, don’t worry, that’s what this tutorial’s for!

So there you have it. Just do what you’re told and everything will work out OK.

TUTORIAL – How to Get Your Nintendo 3DS 3D Video to YouTube and Display PROPERLY in 3D [NerdMentality via Kotaku]

Comments

1. FrugalFreak says:

Where are some sample videos? I wanna see some.

2. Kensuke Nakamura says:

Just before the earthquake in Japan, there was an article about 3d pictures taken of the aftermath of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. As the disaster was unfolding in Japan, I was thinking about how the 3DS has been released not too long before and that maybe this time there would be 3D video of the quake, tsunami, and aftermath.

3. Kuri says:

And yet, without being able to do anything Youtube related on the 3DS this is completely pointless.

• ajlei says:

You can watch 3D videos on youtube, given you have proper glasses (you can set it for red/blue, red/green, etc).

4. Mackinstyle1 says:

Bah. YouTube puts in support for 3D but still doesn’t support multiple audio channels. I want to do video reviews where you can turn on/off my voice if you just want to watch the game without me talking over it.

5. jeni1122 says:

Correct me if I wrong, but I think that the 3D videos on the DS record two of the same image at a time, slightly off kilter to one another to give the effect of 3D. I think what the tutorial is saying is to basically take off one of the off kilter images to make a single image so you can view it in normal 2D.

I did not know it was possible to retro fit the image from a single sourced 3D image to a clear 2D image, I could only get it sort of close, but never just right, it always still looked weird and slightly blurry. I bet this tutorial slightly modified might work on cameras that film in 3D as well, not just the DS. At least it gives me somewhere to start.